Raptor at Heart - Full; waiting list open.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Raptor at Heart - Startup recruitment

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

If you can describe it to me in PM, I'll try and draw something for you. I know how they look in -my- head, but it might not look anything like yours!

I have a query about communication. Since we're intelligent, but don't have vocal chords, we presumably can't speak sentences to each other in character. But are you going to mind if (later on, when we're more settled into our raptor bodies and know our own body language) we post such things as: Brigitte raised her head, bristled her feathers, and hissed in a way that unmistakeably implied "Back off, asshole."

Or, are we going to just play out our body language, and leave it 100% to other characters' interpretation of what we're trying to 'say'?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 am

You may recall the barks and chirps etc used in Jurassic Park and the sequels. In theory, that is how communication occurs. For the sake of the RP, it ends up in english here on the forum, though a 'snide chirp' etc wouldn't be out of the question as using it as its perceived language. Fiction Science dictates it as being legitimate for the sake of our RP.

I also want there to be an ability to actually communicate so that everyone can share their stories, etc. This serves as a language barrier breaker as well; How to speak and understand each other in raptor 'speak' came with the transition as your sentient minds did their first acts of adapting to the new situation.

Would a base picture plus the depiction info do the trick for you? I can't find anything that properly shows the feathering how I thought it out.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 am

I'm not the best artist but I can certainly give it a crack, I've sketched things for other games before. And any reference pics or text will definitely help. What I'll end up doing is googling other people's drawings of dinosaurs to help me with the anatomy, and then add in the differences and go from there.

..and I'm glad we can communicate in English for the sake of the roleplay, I would definitely have still played even if we weren't speaking creatures but using English text makes it much simpler!

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 am

http://www.dinosoria.com/cinema/jurassic-park.jpg Imagine these as the base, though a tad larger. Then you add the feathering based on any given depiction. The head feathering would be sort of like this http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2 ... 5ahcju.jpg but no extra fuzz on the snout/throat.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 am

Was "this" meant to be a link to a feathery pic? ninja editor!

I'll see what I can rustle up after work. It'll be sketchy, but maybe it will help:)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 am

Well here's my character in a way that may or may not be stolen from Beandip, which character seems to be weighing a lenght (km rather than kg :P).

Character: John Hansen
Height: 170 cm
Weight: 60 kg
Nation: Denmark

Character Quote: "Might as well roll just with it"

Character Appearance:
John had slightly thin brown hair with a dwindling hairline and often unkempt. He was a thin guy in okay physical shape even though it was hard to see. He suffered a little from acne and have some scars caused by it. You might suspect he had never seen the sun when looking at his pale skin.

Character Personality:
John is a very relaxed person who usually kept to himself. He have declared himself socially awkward and when among other people he just nod and reply if he have been talked directly to which further his belief in his socially awkwardness. John is however very curious of the world around him and devotes a lot of his time to studying in an attempt to balance out his lack of social life.
John rarely have any long time goals or planning ahead of time. On the other hand he is really flexible with his day to day life as he just react to whatever is comes up and rarely feel disturbed by something consuming more time than expected.

Character Story:
John is a pretty normal person just living his life one day at a time. Most of his life have been in the educational system in which he still is a part of. He studied chemistry but never really had a goal of what to do with his studying except garnering knowledge which seemed interesting.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 am

Theis2 wrote:Well here's my character in a way that may or may not be stolen from Beandip, which character seems to be weighing a lenght (km rather than kg :P).
fixed. stupid fingers.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 am

I can't play, but, I do have a character idea that anyone can steal or reject as they see fit.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 am

Why can't you play? That's a cool character concept :)

Right, so - this image is obviously not one I drew, but I found it while googling velociraptor/deinonychus/achillobator pictures for reference.

I really liked it! They look smaller and friendlier than I imagine "us" to be, and they're feathery all over, but aren't they cute? :D

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm

That picture actually does help portray the streaks/slashes i mentioned as well as some of the feathering. Admittedly not the entire body is covered in them in my vision of them, but hey!

I'll work on the depiction for Theis soon! Currently working on the initial post.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Re: Raptor at Heart - 7/8 slots filled

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:23 pm

I've come down with some sort of virus, so I'll be in bed with my laptop for the next day or so. However, I don't expect to be using it that much and instead will likely be sleeping a lot.

When I do feel up to doing something I will be working on the intro post, including introducing the npcs and showering you all in the blood of one of them, unfortunate lot that they may be.

If you would like, you can choose which poor schmuck bites it before anyone has had a chance to be fully aware.

Niyazaki Arita- Japan - Male - 20 - delivery boy - High School drop out - Last thing he remembers is being inches from a pair of oncoming headlights

Anoki of the Wolves- Arizona - Female - 27 - Native american - Black Jack Dealer - Dropped a coin in the slots after getting off the clock and has it light up like a christmas tree as she hit the jackpot

Allysa Bergen- Georgia - Female - 10th Grade - 16 - B student - Teacher announced pop quiz

Douglas Henders- Male - North Carolina - 92 - Army vet - Was in hospital with a failing heart and was in the middle of a painful heart attack.

Jorge Arroyo- Male - Brazil - 23 - Drug dealer - Was handing a check over to a church with his life earnings up to that point as a donation. Was made to kill a child by his boss and was planning on offing himself once he got home.

3 of these NPCs WILL die very early on, but you guys can choose which one will be your 'Welcome to the Cretaceous' confetti.

All of their raptor forms are early adult except for Allysa, who will be a raptor youth. Their hides will sport either dark green, rust red or caramelized cream mixtures with supporting undertone shades.

Theis2, i'll get your depiction done asap. Sorry for the delay.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Am I to late to throw my hat in?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 pm

kurik wrote:Am I to late to throw my hat in?
You'd be getting the last open spot before a waiting list begins!

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Sweet

Brock Peterson

Brock is a 27 year old avid gamer from Ohio. He works third shift at a convenience store. He doesn't make much money, but it gives him plenty of time to hangout with his friends. But lately things haven't been going so well for him. His best friend is moving out of state, his past warranty console just died, and to top it off, his store was just sold so he'll be out of a job soon. As he's working his last shift before the store changes hands, some guy wearing a hoodie and sunglasses comes in, pulls a gun, and demands all the money in the register. The last thing he remembers is tripping the silent alarm and trying to get the guy to calm down.

Hope that's okay. Let me know if I should change anything.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Raptor at Heart - Full; waiting list open.

Post by SamWiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:09 am

I don't know, Doug might be helpful. He's an army vet, and might be able to help with tactics. And if he doesn't, then he will die soon enough anyway.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:38 am

Doug's 92 in human form and just been dumped into a healthy young dino body. I doubt his heart is failing in this world. I'd say his experience would be useful. None of them scream "useless" to me, anyhow. I'm tempted to leave it to fate/dice/GM as to who bites it. High school girl and delivery boy seem fairly skill-less from their descriptions, but probably aren't.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 am

Double post because DINO DOODLE~! (Sketchy and made to be on the internet by the power of Phone Camera hence the quality)

Mereneth, please tell me what's wrong about it. Obviously it's a pretty quick doodle and I screwed up the feet because I forgot to draw the pointy claws so I added them in at the end. But I basically want to know if the actual build is wrong and in what way, and where there should be more or less feathers, so I can go from there. Once we've got the basic idea of what they look like as a species down, I can then start drawing character variations and thinking about colour and stuff, if people want their particular dino drawn.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 am

I say we pick the fattest, juiciest lout, and eat him when the transformation doesn't work. Cause this new body of mine is hungry. (licks lips)

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:38 am

Merenth wrote: Niyazaki Arita- Japan - Male - 20 - delivery boy - High School drop out - Last thing he remembers is being inches from a pair of oncoming headlights

Anoki of the Wolves- Arizona - Female - 27 - Native American - Black Jack Dealer - Dropped a coin in the slots after getting off the clock and has it light up like a christmas tree as she hit the jackpot

Allysa Bergen- Georgia - Female - 10th Grade - 16 - B student - Teacher announced pop quiz

Douglas Henders- Male - North Carolina - 92 - Army vet - Was in hospital with a failing heart and was in the middle of a painful heart attack.

Jorge Arroyo- Male - Brazil - 23 - Drug dealer - Was handing a check over to a church with his life earnings up to that point as a donation. Was made to kill a child by his boss and was planning on offing himself once he got home.

3 of these NPCs WILL die very early on, but you guys can choose which one will be your 'Welcome to the Cretaceous' confetti.
Arita - Seems fairly useless, probably unambitious.

Anoki - I like her name so she can live. Probably middle of the pack in usefulness. Seeing her freak out about just winning the Jackpot and then being transported where she does not have it and it will do her no good should be funny.

Allysa - Seems useless as well but her raptor body would be younger/weaker than Arita's and probably less useful as a result. I vote for her to bite it.

Douglas - Probably the most useful, might be fun to seem him happy for a youthful body.

Jorge - Seems to have a good heart, middle of the pack in usefulness , might have some street smarts.

I wish we knew more about their personalities. Who's cowardly, who's inventive, who's calm, who's short-tempered, who's curious, etc. It would be a much better predictor of behaviour and usefulness to the pack than just what they were doing when transformed/transported.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 am

That's my problem. I immediately thought either the delivery boy or the B-student, based on the lack of obvious skills implied by their description. But sod's law is that Allysa the B-student has also been a Girl Guide her entire life and spends every weekend camping in the woods, or something >.>

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 am

I know :/

The seemingly most useful one will probably be the LEAST useful, one of the useless ones will be useless and the other useless one will be extremely useful and the other two will have some kind of special, unknown skill.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 am

That's why my vote goes to "dice roll/fate" - we get what we get, and we don't later regret a direct bad decision. But that's just my view, I'm happy to go with the group if the group wants to off any of the plain three.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am

i vote allysa, because she is the only adolescent (more adults seems better than more children) though I am a pre-adult Raptor myself.

(Raptor self (Alex))
Sweet young tasty flesh in which to rip off and chew, Raptor-Alex licks his lips with desire of warm meat as he struggles to stand up.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 am

Personally I'd go with a random roll but between the delivery boy and the girl, makes it an informed guess at who will probably be useful/less :)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 pm

The seeming lack of information is intentional. As a survival RP I want to make every decision count; for better or worse. Doug might have a ton of experience in battle and is now in a youthful body, but what if PTSD simply locks him up? Or would he practically turn into a mini god as a raptor once he figures out the body and be your best defense while everyone is learning.

I want you to second guess yourself; to wonder if the obvious choice isn't what it seems, even if it is.

Badge, alex isn't going to get that kind of instinctive pressure solely from waking up. Initially everyone will think more like humans than raptors.