So... How about a tower offense game? (STARTED!)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

So... How about a tower offense game? (STARTED!)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm

I know last time I asked about preferences, Warlock's deadly game has won hands down. However, as time passes I begin to realize I won't be able to deliver quality graphics, and as I don't want to dishonor that series I'm going to do something else.

I'm sure many of you have came across some kind of Tower Defense: A simple strategy game where you have limited resources and have to place towers to combat the ever-increasing tide of evil hordes that seek to destroy your base, yourself, steal your riches, or just want to get to the other side of the map...

Now, defending stuff is pretty old school, and there has been even many fine forum games spawned from that. What I had in mind was the opposite: a Tower Offense game.

In this case, there will be maps, made by me(, or made by any of you who is willing to test their planning ability) against the players. If you send me a map, then unfortunately you cannot play on the same map, but you can join for any other, so feel free to make the other's life miserable. :D

Aside from map makers (which I assume to be scarce), there will be of course, the players. This time, they will be the attacking team: a liberated group of minions, who think moving on a fixed path to certain death is just plain stupid, and they take their own way to get past the towers, because, well, the end goal is still inviting...

So, how will this work?
- Everyone will make a character. It will be a simple and weak one, but the more progress you make, the more upgrades you will have and the stronger you will become.
- The game will be divided in turns. Each turn, you have to make a progress. This can basically mean two things: you get nearer to the end goal physically (ie moving towards harm), or you start destroying towers (ie causing harm). A minion that fails to progress three times is considered a bad minion and will be killed off ruthlessly.
- What about this death thing? Bad news for you: if you die, you are out of the game. Better said, you are out of the actual map, but you will be able to join for the next one, and your progress will not be forgotten! I would like to make this game with as many players as possible - kind of like a "lemmings" game - but if it fails to attract enough attention, then I will consider adding a respawn system.

What is the setting?
- The setting is placed into the future, and you will be the Borglins. I have played around with their idea for now quite a lot, and I think they would fit into this game well. The borglins will have access to the latest technology, and they intend to (un)make with the most of it.

Characters:
- You will have a class, there will be about 5 to choose from
- You will have equipment, which you will be able to get at the beginning of each game, or obtain it on the run
- You will have a progression meter, which aside from showing off would also allow you some further upgrades
- There will be an achievement system, both individual and group.
TL; DR: Okay, what to do if I want to play?
Just post here you are interested. If I get about 15-25 (hah, impossibiru) players, then I will make the first map, and will post here the characters and starting equipment to choose from, so you can begin to plan your first mission... Be warned though that the clock will start ticking and you will have only 4 days to come up with a plan. Then the game launches and you will fail miserably have to make a steady progress, daily...
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: So... How about a tower offense game? (Recruitment inclu

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

That sounds cool. I'll sign up.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm interested :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm in. Good luck with recruitment.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Interesting. I'll know more when I see char details and a sample map. I'd probably be more interested in making a map.

OTOH, Tower Defense games work by spamming 'players' most of whom die before they get to the other side, while the real player desparately tries to stop the little AI buggers. So I see a potential flaw in your game concept, namely that there will be few 'players' traveling, that they have specials and thus are invested in their char, YET, when they die on the map you say they die. This means the map is NOT subject to waves of attackers.

I think, you need to allow a respawn after player death, back at the start. This then creates the spamed waves of attackers. But, for the map to have a chance to win, there probably needs to be a time limit. Unfortunately a time limit needs to be well balanced. If your map is so big, and a move is so far, that can give you a minimum transit time before obstacles. Depending on what you allow the map makers to do, you will need to multiply the minimum distance by a maze factor and a number of waves allowed. Then as GM you might fudge the time if you see you miscalculated badly. And, you will probably want to allow players a move+action, so as to never slow them down, which would mess up the timer.

Thoughts?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Interested.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Interesting. I'll know more when I see char details and a sample map. I'd probably be more interested in making a map.

OTOH, Tower Defense games work by spamming 'players' most of whom die before they get to the other side, while the real player desparately tries to stop the little AI buggers. So I see a potential flaw in your game concept, namely that there will be few 'players' traveling, that they have specials and thus are invested in their char, YET, when they die on the map you say they die. This means the map is NOT subject to waves of attackers.

I think, you need to allow a respawn after player death, back at the start. This then creates the spamed waves of attackers. But, for the map to have a chance to win, there probably needs to be a time limit. Unfortunately a time limit needs to be well balanced. If your map is so big, and a move is so far, that can give you a minimum transit time before obstacles. Depending on what you allow the map makers to do, you will need to multiply the minimum distance by a maze factor and a number of waves allowed. Then as GM you might fudge the time if you see you miscalculated badly. And, you will probably want to allow players a move+action, so as to never slow them down, which would mess up the timer.

Thoughts?
Thank you for your concerns. I'm sure I have a solid concept of how the game should work out, it will be seen when I know how many peoples I have and also will draw the conclusions of the first test run.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm interested

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm

That's cool. I'd take part, possibly make a couple of maps.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri May 03, 2013 1:22 am

Sounds intresting... count me in...

Oh.. and maps! (because i proberly cant help myself :P ) Hexagon, square, non grid or?
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri May 03, 2013 1:26 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Oh.. and maps! (because i proberly cant help myself :P ) Hexagon, square, non grid or?
I'm going to start with square maps because it will be the easiest for you to see through. Hexagonal map would be also nice for range calculation, but I don't want to make that in the first 1-2 rounds.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:27 am

Sounds interesting.

Just a suggestion, but when TTW mentioned waves of attacks, I thought that perhaps there could be a few (3-4) cannon-fodder minions for each player, which our main minion is in control of? Sort of like living, swarming shields. Every couple of turns, a new wave of fodder-minions could be released to bolster our dwindling forces. And if our main minion dies, we're out of the map, or something like that.
Like I said, just a suggestion - if you've already got a good plan, then that's great :)

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Fri May 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Even better: a group of equal minions per player, which progress evenly.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sun May 05, 2013 1:12 am

Interested too :)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Sure, why not? Count me in.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Starswords
Of Few Words

Post by Starswords » Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I'll toss my hat in

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Sure, I'll join. Gives a bit more I can draw from for clues if TWSK gets back up and running.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat May 11, 2013 11:37 pm

I count 14 players, I promised to start at 15. Let's hope for another player! (Else I'll start this game on Wednesday anyway.)

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun May 12, 2013 7:19 am

I will be that guy.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I have started the game.

You can join here.