The Grand Tournament (Closed due to lack of intrest)

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

The Grand Tournament (Closed due to lack of intrest)

Post by WhirdCheese » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

The arrival of a Dragon has forced the King to find the greatest fighter in the land. Therefor he has decided to hold a tournament in the grand arena to find that fighter. You have seen a poster advertising this tournament and have decided to sign up.

Sign-ups
► Show Spoiler
Races
Human
► Show Spoiler

Goblin
► Show Spoiler
Elf
► Show Spoiler

Kobold
► Show Spoiler

Statistics
► Show Spoiler
Updates: Whenever I log in and see that all current combatants have posted. If one person doesn't post for 24 hours I will update and they will have been dazed by their opponent's attacks.

Combat will be text updates but should ranged weaponry make its way into the game...it'll still be text but with an ascci representation. Yeah. Probably won't add ranged weapons in this.

In between your battles you'll be able to buy equipment, rest, and train.
Buying equipment will give you bonuses in future combats. Things can also be sold for half price.
Rest: The automatic action. Each turn spent resting gives you a 75% chance of gaining one hit point back.
Training will give you access to new abilities
Once you start Training or Buying equipment you won't rest until you have said you are finished.

Oh and this game will be handled through PM's so Pm me your character don't post it here. You can post here to tell others that you are playing if you want to. There will be NPC's but at no point will there be a couple of NPC's slogging it out. Maybe right after the first round but don't expect that.

The description will be posted in the central thread and people not in the game can do something. Not sure what right now but I'll work it out. Either vote or the player with the most votes will receive some sort of bonus or wager on the outcome of matches and send some amount of their winnings to the characters.

Um... That about covers it. I'm not expecting to get much reaction after my last few escapades into DMing but here's hoping. :D
Last edited by WhirdCheese on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TBFProgrammer
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: The Grand Tournament

Post by TBFProgrammer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 am

You might want to work on balance a lot before running this.

A Goblin will, on average, kill a Human in 8 turns, but a Human, on average, will require 26 turns to kill the Goblin. A Goblin attacking a Kobold will require an average of 23 turns, to the Kobolds 32 turns to kill a Goblin. Should you ever be unlucky enough to have two Kobolds duke it out, the battle will last an average of 384 turns of melee combat.

Goblins are stronger than everything else.
Kobolds are stronger than both Humans and Elves.
Elves will kill a human in an average of 54 rounds to the Humans 64.
Making Human lose to everything.

Average rounds to kill a foe was calculated by taking health and dividing it by the product of percent chance to hit and average damage dealt. Average damage dealt was calculated via enumeration and setting all negative damage to 0. Percent chance to hit was calculated by subtracting the difference between the defenders dodge and the attackers accuracy from 10. By comparing the numbers produced, the obvious edge can be found, along with generating an idea of how long a battle will last. The full chart is:

Human v. Human - 40 turns
Human v. Goblin - 8 turns to Goblin win of 26 the Human needs
Human v. Elf - 54 turns to Elf win of 64 the Human needs
Human v. Kobold - 54 turns to Kobold win of 308 the Human needs
Goblin v. Goblin - 6 turns
Goblin v. Elf - 11 turns to Goblin win of 32 the Elf needs
Goblin v. Kobold - 23 turns to Goblin win of 32 the Kobold needs
Elf v. Elf - 128 turns
Elf v. Kobold - 128 turns to Kobold win of 384 the Elf needs
Kobold v. Kobold - 384 turns

Yes, this is derived statistically and the luck of the dice will lead to actual battles having widely varied durations, however, they represent a very real and very significant imbalance.
The Barefoot Programmer

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: The Grand Tournament

Post by WhirdCheese » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 am

It's now a goblin kingdom. You may only play as a goblin. At least for now.