Interest in boardgames?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Interest in boardgames?

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Now that I've started Order of the stick (who knows how long this will take) I'm wondering if there are any other existing Board-games that anyone would be interested in playing. I have quite the collection at home and would be willing to put together another one at some point. (granted, this will not be possible for picture based games like carcassonne)

Things I own:(not listing picture based games)(I would also be willing to take one of these games and....forumize it)
Through the ages
Agricola
Settlers of Catan
Killer Bunnies
Race for the Galaxy
Fluxx

ThroughTheWell

Re: Interest in boardgames?

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm

I have a few thoughts. 1, I think you will want to aim toward short games, as the process of forumizing (play by post) will drag them out even longer. 2, I thought Settlers already had a online version. True, that would not be forum specific, but wouldn't it just be a matter of inviting people and posting a link? 3, and for people unfamilier with a game, you will have to post rules. 4, and at what point if any do you run into copyright issues?

Shoot, I own a few games... I wonder if I could run any of them. If you can deal with the issues, in general I think more games = more fun.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm

By forumizing games I kind of meant taking a "more simple" game that people enjoy and taking some liberties with it until it runs faster and smoother within a forum. Doing that i think would avoid any copyright issues, For instance, in OoTS, I'm trying to avoid 1. pictures and 2. specific names/titles...

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Risk would be forumizable if you ran all battles as fight to the death and made a blob map. OTOH, risk is not terribly interesting if even one player plays high optimization.

I used to know, and could probably find again, an online version of a game that has been described as Settlers military. It is a step up from Risk, and I like it a lot. It is called Viktory II. But both, as rule the world games, can be fairly long. Viktory II gets longer the greater numbers of players there are, as the board size also goes up. 5 players is fairly decent.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

TBFProgrammer
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by TBFProgrammer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:I have a few thoughts. 4, and at what point if any do you run into copyright issues?
First off, there is no profit motive nor even intent to distribute, so copyright shouldn't apply here (format shift), even though legally it is a gray area. :wall:

From a practical standpoint:

I think fair use typically would be extended to cover running the game on-line so long as you are not providing resources for the purpose of those who don't already own the game to play it without you running it. That said, many board games have large online communities that provide these resources, with or without permission first being sought. As of yet, likely due to the traditional market for these games being game nights with family and/or friends (which is in no way impacted by online play), I've not heard of a board game or card game manufacturer suing over people playing the game online.

Most people don't buy the game for the rules, they buy it because it is much more convenient to have an unambiguous professionally drawn board with standardized pieces than moving coins around a board squeezed onto a single sheet of paper. They buy it so that they can just pull out the game and start playing. If this wasn't a motivating factor in these games, no one would ever buy a deck of cards, let alone several dozen of them.

Just avoid putting up pdf versions of any sets of cards formatted for easy printing with a paper-stock recommendation and make sure at least one person in the group playing/running the game owns it and you should be fine.
The Barefoot Programmer

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 am

I plan on making a Catan game somewhere in the future.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Things I own:(not listing picture based games)(I would also be willing to take one of these games and....forumize it)
Through the ages
Agricola
Settlers of Catan
Killer Bunnies
Race for the Galaxy
Fluxx
Hmm... Well, I'm not sure how Fluxx would go (I have two decks and it's supposed to be a very fast paced game where you can cut off other people and such, which is hard if you're offline for a bit and find that your chance passed you by). I have also played Catan IRL and that seems like a lot of work.

As for the others, I haven't heard of them, and would be interested in giving them a go, but I don't want to take over the place of someone who hasn't had a chance yet, since I'm GMing one game and playing in the OOTS one already (and eventually to be in the 3.5 game with the primarily monster PCs).

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 am

I have heard great things from Fluxx and Killer Bunnies. I would be so down for a forum Catan. Honestly playing it on here would be more fun than the catan online, we could set it up for maximum comfort to have fun with it.

I'm not sure what games like Munchkin are referred to as, but a similar game in the munchkin format is called Sentinels of the Multiverse. Premise of the game is a group of superheroes band together to defeat the supervillian threatening the safety of the universe. The game comes with somewhere around a dozen heroes, each with their own deck full of equipment, powers, and upgrades. Likewise there are a half a dozen super villians, with decks that are made for simply turning over their cards and following instructions so no player needs to "Control" the bad guy. Selection of attacks is done most often by hp (ex. Killerbot Ultra does 3 electrical damage to the 2 Heroes with the highest current HP). Lastly you pick a setting (again some knock offs), like the jungle, space station, metropolis knock off etc. And you guessed it, it has its own deck as well.

It's loads of fun and built for cooperative play. Munchkin allows you and even promotes that every now and then you stab each other in the back, so if you want a break to form your own league of heroes, I recommend this game. I have been thinking about pick it up, and may run the game myself if I do. But either way it would be an easy transition to the forum I think or we could make our own game similar. Anyone have the game?
Games:
► Show Spoiler

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

John wrote:Anyone have the game?
I do not have that game, no, but I do have a two-player superhero game I got... I think at the same time I orders the Gamers and JourneyQuest DVDs online?

In it, up to four heroes (though I only have the started box, which has two) compete to get news of crimes from their sources (or intimidate another hero's source for such information) and then stop other heroes from being heroic, while snagging the glory for themselves...without burning down the city around them. :D

Come to think of it, I might offer to teach my friend who is open to new gaming experiences. It's a relatively quick game, once you get a hold of the rules.

[Back to OP, though, I stand by my original assessment of things. ;) ]

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 am

So, I've been running a game of Munchkin lately, and I think it may come to a close in a week or two. Unless the players completely throw me off. In preparation for that finish, I've decided to set up preparations for another little time-waster.

I've got a bunch of games laying around the house, and I decided I might as well share. As a heads up first, though, these games will take quite some time and be slow paced, as they are turn-by-turn, and from prior experience it can take several days to get through a round.

Now, a list of the games I could run;
Munchkin (Basic, Unnatural Axe, and Clerical Errors packs)
Zombie Dice (With Big Summer Action Movie and Santa Claus Meets the Zombies packs)
Ticket to Ride (Base set (American stations))
Dixit (Basic set)

Dixit and Ticket to Ride would take some image work to get it running, but with Dixit an entire round could be run by the players and I would only be needed for dealing cards and making rulings, and for Ticket to Ride I'd just be needed for dealing the destination cards and setting out the face-up cards, so a full turn could be done in one update.

Zombie Dice, on the other hand, would require me to be involved after pretty much every post, and players would only have the involvement of "I roll" or "I don't roll", so it probably wouldn't be that great.

As for Munchkin... Well, we've seen how that goes, though I could trim the fat by skipping straight to kicking in the door.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu May 30, 2013 5:59 am

Dixit would be hard on a forum without having an image repository, from what I remember of it.

Zombie dice could be easily co-opted into a forum format but I don't know how interesting it would be after one round.

I personally don't enjoy Killer Bunnies - I just sold my copy in fact. But people do like it, I'm just not one of them.

Agricola and Catan are great games but I don't know how we'd forumify them.

...just a thought or two on some of the suggested games.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 am

I only know Munchkin and zombie dice, and I only played Munchkin for real.
To be honest I'm not sure I will sign up to another munchkin game. It's hard to me to stay focused on a game where your turn is once or twice a week.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 am

I don't know the fine points of executing images and the like, but I very much enjoyed Dixit with my buddies. It was a bunch of "dude-bros" who all thought the game was a below their cool factor. Then you got awesome stories and descriptors it turned into a lot of fun.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I would participate in settlers of catan <3
ImageImageImageImage

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 am

I maybe would join a game of one of the two I know from your list:
Agricola
Settlers of Catan
:zzz:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 am

Im starting work on trying to formulize how to forum-ize Settlers of Catan.

Feel free to check out my progress and/or comment/advise on it in the resources area under the name

The Goblins of Rattan

Im currently trying to figure out how to make it fun, but faster then Settlers currently is, so a game could be played in perhaps 1-2 months, instead of 1-2 years. :lol: