Goblins Minesweepers - Round 1 (Started)

Jibjib
Game Master

Re: Goblins Minesweepers - Recruitment for Round 1

Post by Jibjib » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 am

Blitz Craig - Male
FF4000
3 or 4
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:36 pm

white metal, male
#FFFFFF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 am

Ok, so here is the tally so far:

Number of players: 15

Votes on maps:
1)6
2)2 (-1)
3)6
4)6
don't care) 2

(In case of mentioning more maps, I took the first two. Preference against a map is shown with a negative number.)

I think 15 players are enough for the next map, so application is closed. However, on which map to play is quite uncertain.

Shall I roll a dice, or can you guys agree on it within a week? :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

John
Converses Frequently

Re: Goblins Minesweepers - Round 1 (Closed. Voting Time!)

Post by John » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 am

Roll that thang yo diggity!
Games:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:39 am

I vote for roll. No reason to wait.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:51 am

Yeah, I think the people who have voted have stated their preferences already. You, as GM, can cast the deciding vote. (Really, you should have a vote.) Or just roll for it. We can always try one of the others next time.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Zigit
Likes to Contribute

Post by Zigit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 am

Roll it!

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 am

Roll it.

TBFProgrammer
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by TBFProgrammer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 am

If you look at the people who voted for only one map or for trying angles and one other map:

Hexing Swamps has four such votes.
Rooftop Rumble has three such votes.
Puzzling Situation has two such votes.

I bring this up as those who voted in either of these two ways will not get a map they stated as a preference if their map is not chosen. As such, considering my preference for RR over PS is not terribly great and I'm one of the three such votes on RR:

Hexing Swamps should be included, roll between the other two.
The Barefoot Programmer

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am

Roll out, autobot!
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 pm

The dice have spoken: swamps!

There will be a puzzle cameo, though, somewhere near to its end. :)
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Zigit
Likes to Contribute

Re: Goblins Minesweepers - Round 1 (Closed. Preparing Art.)

Post by Zigit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Do you have an ETA on when we'll be starting again? I'm starting to get the shakes! :)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 pm

We will be starting when I have my stuff moreless ready. I still need sprites for the monsters (feel free to search/do adequate monsters with top-down view), and I have some other stuff to do, too. Having to finish my thesis in 1 month is not helping matters either.

So be patient, it will start eventually! Maybe around next weekend. :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm

-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:33 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Top down sprites on google...

And if you actually look at what you have linked, the 99% are humans, military vehicles, in-game screenshots (or concepts), and sometimes pokemon or similar. Not helpful at all. :) (If your search results greatly differ from this, you are a lucky man. :) )

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 am

Open it in privacy mode in firefox.

Zigit
Likes to Contribute

Post by Zigit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 pm

No rush, real life comes first, of course. What kinds of monsters do you need?

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 am

Zigit wrote:No rush, real life comes first, of course. What kinds of monsters do you need?
swamp monsters... :) Don't need many, but don't want to spoil them else you will know where to expect some. ;)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Double post:

Argh. I hate creating and looking for arts. It's bad. Why the hell am I trying to do them? Meh. :wall:

The map so far:

The reed is in isometric view, and it just plain sucks (it is even just a borrowed brush). I can't make any foliage from top-down.

So yeah, don't expect this running soon. Or I could skip the art part and you get something ugly. Whatever.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Hmm. The hexes are kind of hard to see sometimes. Dark lines on a dark background aren't always so visible.

I'd also consider marking each hex individually. If you want to show that there's a patch of reeds (which presumably keeps us from stepping on those hexes), why not just put a picture of some reeds on each blocked hex? (Like you'd see on a board game, perhaps.)

But yes, I'm also willing to make do with less or no background art. Especially if you find yourself struggling to make it work and becoming frustrated with it. Atmosphere is nice, but, in the end, we're here to play the game.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm

I think Wears is right. I can tell you pay real close attention to detail which is awesome but may drive you mad . I like the idea of potentially tiling reads (similar to how the hexes look on Settlers of Catan). Also on dark backgrounds, is there an option to have hexes gridlines in white?

Just some thoughts. Looks awesome as is either way. A shame we're gonna blow up little bits of it. :shifty:
Games:
► Show Spoiler

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 am

Erm, I have a laptop screen which is bright as hell, and the grid is well visible to me (aside of course where it is hidden behind the reed), also every odd row of hexes is supposed to be about 20% darker than the even rows. I'm beginning to realize that coloring could be a problem, so if you could state where do you have troubles distinguishing the grid from the underlying background, would be helpful to me to change around. I have tried white grid too, but has a too big of a contrast, and is a bit sore to the eyes. Nevertheless, I'm going to keep fiddling around with the colors to see which setup works out.

Another note is that the layering of the map is the following (bottom->up): background, grid, environmental elements (e.g.: reed, stones, dead log, etc.). This is so because the environment can be interacted with and may have some "side effects", which means that yeah, the grid may well be obscured by the reed, and it can't be helped.

This weekend hopefully I'll have time to come up with some very basic graphics, and hopefully we can get this going next week.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 am

Hiya!

I'd rather play a not that fancy looking game soon, than wait for an indefinite period of time for a really smooth and awesome looking one. I already got the jitters from minesweeper withdrawal. (And NO, the windows version doesn't help. Much. :lol: )

That being said, I have found some swampy looking sprites (scroll down to the enemies/bosses), but they are not top down (while were' at this topic, I'd like to mention that I preferred the "isometric" kind of view the game had in the lost forums, if I may):
http://www.bogleech.com/snes-iria.html
http://www.bogleech.com/snes-skyblazer.html

You might find more suitable stuff when you search through here:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=11203

(Since my time is limited, and I don't know what exactly you are looking for, either, maybe you better do it yourself...)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Hiya!

I'd rather play a not that fancy looking game soon, than wait for an indefinite period of time for a really smooth and awesome looking one. I already got the jitters from minesweeper withdrawal. (And NO, the windows version doesn't help. Much. :lol: )

That being said, I have found some swampy looking sprites (scroll down to the enemies/bosses), but they are not top down (while were' at this topic, I'd like to mention that I preferred the "isometric" kind of view the game had in the lost forums, if I may):
http://www.bogleech.com/snes-iria.html
http://www.bogleech.com/snes-skyblazer.html

You might find more suitable stuff when you search through here:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=11203

(Since my time is limited, and I don't know what exactly you are looking for, either, maybe you better do it yourself...)
Thanks for the links!

I know the isometric grid has been cool, and would be much easier for regular maps, but in the "stranger lands" series I would like to introduce non-rectangular playfields too, and tracking those in isometric view would be a real pain. (Well, not for me, as I'd use a top down view for my data anyway, but I doubt it would be easy for you to see where is what.)

Also, I like to add some odd bits to an otherwise simple game (minesweeper) to see what it can do, but I may go well over the top sometimes. If you folks think that a simple map with strange layout with a minimum of extras would be sufficient too, I'll cut down on the development budget. :D

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 am

It's just that cool graphical effects is not some must-have.