Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Recruitment Thread for Pell's D&D 3.5 Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Since this is a bit of restart instead of a direct continuation of The Forest, how would you feel about me dropping Blind Fight in favor of Flay Foe?
► Show Spoiler

Also, I've fiddled with equipment a bit (- Handy Haversack, + Amulet of Natural Armor, + misc adventuring items)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Since this is a bit of restart instead of a direct continuation of The Forest, how would you feel about me dropping Blind Fight in favor of Flay Foe?
I don't know about that feat, and it seems like Blind-Fight is a thing you should have. Maybe by the time you gain three more levels. (You are gaining one feat from the three levels you already went up, but I'd kind of rather you didn't pick that one.)
Also, I've fiddled with equipment a bit (- Handy Haversack, + Amulet of Natural Armor, + misc adventuring items)
The haversack is less in-flavor than Blind-Fight, but it would probably be useful. And I'm not sure I like the sound of "misc adventuring items"....
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Quinton and Velidor have been attempting to find cultists, leadson cultists, and persons of interest (like attempting to make said items, know about cultists, ect). Likely you have met them in a dungeon, needing help with defeating some of the cultists, and has been following you around. Occasionally reminding you about cultists but when you are dead you have a long time to stamp them out. The trick is doing so before they get too powerful.
Is Velidor Theis's character? If not, who is it?
Synch wrote:After a LOT of help from Spiderwrangler I'm piecing a character together, however it appears taking a minotaur with 6 RHD severely gimps me.
I'm not certain that's true - you're getting Monstrous Humanoid HDs, which are +1 BAB d8s, making them about as good as Ranger levels, only instead of Favored Enemy and weak Druid spells and such, you're getting the innate abilities of your monster form, including incredible Strength and a natural weapon with Powerful Charge. Okay, your skills stink, but otherwise I'm inclined to think it's a pretty fair trade. Minotaur is actually one of the best monster races for a PC, since it has only +2 Level Adjustment and a pretty good monster type. You're much more screwed trying to be, say, a Troll, even if you didn't really want the regeneration and such - there's no easy way of scaling the creature back without potential borkage.
So I'm looking at a half-minotaur, which is without the RHD.
What book is half-minotaur in?
Given I'm already having a homebrew class, would you prefer me to use these homebrewed race rules with more flavour, or this more standard template?
I'm not comfortable with a great deal of experimentation, as you can probably tell by now. Please stick as close to RAW as you can even remotely stand. I'm already regretting having authorized Warden
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:24 pm

willpell wrote:
The haversack is less in-flavor than Blind-Fight, but it would probably be useful. And I'm not sure I like the sound of "misc adventuring items"....

Is Velidor Theis's character? If not, who is it?
I can keep blind fight, was just feeling a bit concerned over damage output after dropping the bonus damage kukri in favor of Spiderkissed.

Haversack certainly would be handy, but dropping it frees up gold to take a ´╝ï1 Amulet of Natural Armor. Kast still has the Efficient Quiver to stash things in... and might be able to get Kzri to lug his backpack.

Rope. The miscellaneous adventuring item was rope.

Velidor is ALB'so intelligent rapier.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Velidor the intelligent rapier, will. :p i mean...unless you want me to call him 'sword' but that is just demeaning and insulting to the poor guy.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Ok no worries Will. I'm getting completely confused trying to modify this character sheet, so I'm just gonna roll a basic character barbarian, for simplicity's sake because I'm too dense to customise character sheets. :'(

I'm very sorry to have wasted your time with that endeavour, Spiderwrangler. Hopefully you didn't spend as much time nutting that out as I did trying to modify it!
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Velidor the intelligent rapier, will. :p i mean...unless you want me to call him 'sword' but that is just demeaning and insulting to the poor guy.
Ah, okay. Do you have a backstory for him? It's probable that an intelligent ghost touch weapon has been around for longer than its current ghost; all sorts of possible history there.
Synch wrote:Ok no worries Will. I'm getting completely confused trying to modify this character sheet, so I'm just gonna roll a basic character barbarian, for simplicity's sake because I'm too dense to customise character sheets. :'(

I'm very sorry to have wasted your time with that endeavour, Spiderwrangler. Hopefully you didn't spend as much time nutting that out as I did trying to modify it!
Okay, if you want to give him a goodly bit of minotaur flavor, that wouldn't be hard to do. I am pretty familiar with Barbarian options. Perhaps I could even hack together a "Bull Lord" version of the Animal Lord prestige class, which is easy to qualify for and intentionally designed to be flexible and deconstructible.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:14 am

Of course it has been there longer than the ghost itself. Quinton found him while trying to free people whom have been captured, along with his party at that time. Unfortunally they were too powerful to handle, but the rogue did steal a few things, Velidor included. The rogue had the rapier for a while, but eventually got annoyed at Velidor telling him what he should or should not do, and how his actions will have terrible actions on the community. So Quinton took it off the rogue's hands, after a hefty fee.

When Velidor told Quinton of what happened to him, Quinton wanted to help, and to attempt to free those whom have been captured by the cult. It was a dangerous journey, and eventually he was captured by the cult as one of many sacrafices, bound and gagged, and eventually killed.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 am

I kinda dropped the ball as other things kinda took over and I didn't really get to reply to this again.

But I basically ended up with a "half dragon" human, made from a wizards experimentation. Got rescued by a copper dragon as he used an unborn wyrmling from that dragon to do his experiments. (part of the materials to wyrmgrafting from races of the dragon, which I used for my character)

Rulewise, I've thought about going about it with getting dragonfire adept (gives me a feat that gives me the dragonblood subtype) and taking two feats giving me wings and a tail (from races of the dragon as well) as my two first feats I get from human and level 1.

I also thought about multiclassing into dragon shaman but ended up wondering how it would work with having two classes that gives me a breath weapon at will. They follow the same progression for how much damage it gives, so I wondered if it was possible to just have the two classes added together for the dragonfire adepts breath weapon.

Haven't given gear a thought besides the 13000 for the dragonheart wyrmgraft (I think that's what it's called at least)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:38 am

So...guess who still doesn't have proper internet? Still posting from my phone. :c
Allegedly a tech is coming today. I say allegedly as last time a tech was sent, they never showed up.

Really all I need now is more magic items to drain that pool of gold. I'm trying to do more than just get boring stat bonus items. I'm assuming a ring of silence would be fine to have?
At this point I may wind up literally stuffing a bag with feather tokens.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:40 am

Amara wrote:At this point I may wind up literally stuffing a bag with feather tokens.
A feather stuffed pillowcase?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:43 am

Spider, as far as caring capacity goes. I bought the Portable Hole for Zaks, and since he likes you so much wouldn't mind you using it.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:25 am

Amara wrote:Really all I need now is more magic items to drain that pool of gold. I'm trying to do more than just get boring stat bonus items. I'm assuming a ring of silence would be fine to have?
I'm not familiar with that one offhand...where can I look it up?
At this point I may wind up literally stuffing a bag with feather tokens.
Please don't. If you're having trouble shopping for items, maybe I can browse the Magic Item Compendium and pick out some things I'd be interested in you having? I could even go a little over the normal gold limit, since you're stuck being a boring old human and ought to have some fun things to do.
Theis2 wrote:But I basically ended up with a "half dragon" human, made from a wizards experimentation. Got rescued by a copper dragon as he used an unborn wyrmling from that dragon to do his experiments. (part of the materials to wyrmgrafting from races of the dragon, which I used for my character)
Is this using the +3 LA half-dragon template, or is it just flavor? If you want a very easy "dragonizing", the Draconic template is only 1 LA, and that can have been bought off long since. I also have a houserule that you can take levels in Half-Dragon Paragon off of the Draconic template.
Rulewise, I've thought about going about it with getting dragonfire adept (gives me a feat that gives me the dragonblood subtype) and taking two feats giving me wings and a tail (from races of the dragon as well) as my two first feats I get from human and level 1.
Sure, fine.
I also thought about multiclassing into dragon shaman but ended up wondering how it would work with having two classes that gives me a breath weapon at will. They follow the same progression for how much damage it gives, so I wondered if it was possible to just have the two classes added together for the dragonfire adepts breath weapon.
As much as I want to love the dragon shaman, it's kind of shit. Unfortunately I can't allow what you're suggesting, as DS's breath weapon is limited daily uses, while DFA's is at-will; the result would inevitably be cheese, even if it ended up not being cheesy enough to salvage a gimped character. Probably better if you don't cross the streams, or maybe take just a small dip into DS to get the auras and forget about the breath weapon.
Last edited by willpell on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My long-neglected blog.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:27 am

I'm unable to find much info about Amaras character, but it should be possible to find an item that will go with or explain some of his/her personality.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:08 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:...also would i have to have items ghost touched before i can even use them?
...and I still don't know, because Ghostwalk was very eager to provide you with an assortment of new items that are for sale in the city of Manifest, but failed to clarify whether any of them can remain in a ghost's hands when he steps outside of the city environs and ceases to be solid. The only thing that I have to go on is a vague recollection of something I read somewhere, which said something to the general effect of "an adventurer who becomes a ghost chooses (some number) of his possessions which transubstantiate to become part of his ghost form, although they also remain as physical objects with his corpse, and if the physical item is stolen, he loses its ectoplasmic copy". I don't recall the details and am not sure where I read this; it might just be the Monster Manual section on ghosts (or "undead ghosts", as Ghostwalk calls them, while clarifying that all undead are still evil by nature - don't worry, that part is nixed in my game). Otherwise, try Libris Mortis, that has some extra info on ghosts, though probably not enough of it.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:13 am

...apparently there is a phase touch spell which can help by tying items to etherial plane?

...and i cannot seem to find my pdfs. I think they were on my old pc and forever distroyed

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am

spiderwrangler wrote: A feather stuffed pillowcase?
Haha, imagine a small sack filled with anchor tokens, though.
Dropped all at once.
willpell wrote: I'm not familiar with that one offhand...where can I look it up?
Ring of silent spells, sorry. I shouldn't type when I'm half awake. It should be in the Magic Item Compendium handbook, and costs 2k.
"When you activate a ring of silent spells, it creates a silence effect, as the spell, cen­tered on you. While this effect lasts, you can cast up to three spells of 3rd level or lower without verbal components (as though using the Silent Spell feat, except that the spells do not require a higher level spell slot or increased cast­ ing time). This ability functions once per day. "
willpell wrote:Please don't.
Alright, no Acme(Ôäó)ing people. I'm still getting a bag of marbles, though. :b
willpell wrote:If you're having trouble shopping for items, maybe I can browse the Magic Item Compendium and pick out some things I'd be interested in you having? I could even go a little over the normal gold limit, since you're stuck being a boring old human and ought to have some fun things to do.
I can probably find a world of things I have no business having to get in to trouble with from Song and Silence and Cunning Scoundrel, as well. I'll go looking again through them. Generally speaking, I'm someone that can find 1,001 things to do with a bag of flour, so I'm admittedly keen on loading up on a bunch of random utility things (like the tokens,) that could possibly be used for...less than their intended purposes. Things that are less than 5lbs and could be activated at range for mage handing around, doubleplusgood.
Incidentally, if I don't find an amulet I like better, I'll probably swing for a Hand of the Mage if you're ok with it being re-flavored as...not a mummified elf's hand.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:...apparently there is a phase touch spell which can help by tying items to etherial plane?

...and i cannot seem to find my pdfs. I think they were on my old pc and forever distroyed
If you remember the PDF you think it was from, I can probably get the pdf to you via dropbox.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 am

Amara wrote: Haha, imagine a small sack filled with anchor tokens, though.
Dropped all at once.
As far as I can tell, this would accomplish nothing other than allowing you to secure hundreds of boats. Nowhere does it say anything about the token turning into an actual anchor or gaining any of the properties of a real anchor other than boat-securing. Even if the token shapeshifts (which only the Tree and Whip ones explicitly do, though the Fan and the Boat imply it), I would definitely rule that the resulting anchor is essentially made of feather-matter, weighs nothing and can't do damage, but simply has the magical ability to hold a boat in place despite its lack of weight. At most, it might gain the volume of the anchors, certainly not any other characteristics that could potentially be exploited.
Ring of silent spells, sorry. I shouldn't type when I'm half awake. It should be in the Magic Item Compendium handbook, and costs 2k.
"When you activate a ring of silent spells, it creates a silence effect, as the spell, cen­tered on you. While this effect lasts, you can cast up to three spells of 3rd level or lower without verbal components (as though using the Silent Spell feat, except that the spells do not require a higher level spell slot or increased cast­ ing time). This ability functions once per day. "
Okay, but I'd have to rule that a Silence field suddenly appearing will usually put everyone in earshot on guard, so you probably won't be able to combine this with your Beguiler class feature that improves save DCs vs. unaware targets.
willpell wrote:I can probably find a world of things I have no business having to get in to trouble with from Song and Silence and Cunning Scoundrel, as well. I'll go looking again through them. Generally speaking, I'm someone that can find 1,001 things to do with a bag of flour, so I'm admittedly keen on loading up on a bunch of random utility things (like the tokens,) that could possibly be used for...less than their intended purposes. Things that are less than 5lbs and could be activated at range for mage handing around, doubleplusgood.
This sort of thing...in theory I kind of approve of such creativity, but in practice I don't like dealing with it. If there was a book that collected all these applications and put them in easily findable chunks of rules, maybe even a class which explicitly has "McGuyvering" as a class feature, I could deal with it. But instead, it's just a series of spot-ruling headaches for me.
Incidentally, if I don't find an amulet I like better, I'll probably swing for a Hand of the Mage if you're ok with it being re-flavored as...not a mummified elf's hand.
What else could it be, though?
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:27 am

willpell wrote: As far as I can tell, this would accomplish nothing other than allowing you to secure hundreds of boats. Nowhere does it say anything about the token turning into an actual anchor or gaining any of the properties of a real anchor other than boat-securing. Even if the token shapeshifts (which only the Tree and Whip ones explicitly do, though the Fan and the Boat imply it), I would definitely rule that the resulting anchor is essentially made of feather-matter, weighs nothing and can't do damage, but simply has the magical ability to hold a boat in place despite its lack of weight. At most, it might gain the volume of the anchors, certainly not any other characteristics that could potentially be exploited.
Fair enough.
willpell wrote:Okay, but I'd have to rule that a Silence field suddenly appearing will usually put everyone in earshot on guard, so you probably won't be able to combine this with your Beguiler class feature that improves save DCs vs. unaware targets.
That...does sort of make it pointless, then, for something I only get once a day if I can't use it to catch people unaware. I'll just get a ring of protection, and perhaps feather falling.
willpell wrote: This sort of thing...in theory I kind of approve of such creativity, but in practice I don't like dealing with it. If there was a book that collected all these applications and put them in easily findable chunks of rules, maybe even a class which explicitly has "McGuyvering" as a class feature, I could deal with it. But instead, it's just a series of spot-ruling headaches for me.
It is sort of how the beguiler has to be used, though. They're designed to be a class that sort of has to outsmart and get creative. I don't go out of my way to break things or anything, but I am the sort that immediately leaps to "..invisible things? Okay time to flour everything in existence." If it's an issue, I understand, and I could reroll as a sorcerer or something more mechanically binary. I just don't have anything interesting I could think of to do with one right now. Admittedly I have a hard time with classes that don't lend themselves well to creativity.

willpell wrote:What else could it be, though?
Just an enchanted amulet? Having mage hand at will instead of having to burn through what few measly cantrips 3.5 grants would be lovely, but I can't really justify having a mummified hand around my neck.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 am

Amara, I cannot wait to cause some shenanigans with you. I think it would be halarious.

Sorcerers can be semi creative, who says you can't light a campfire with a fireball?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Amara wrote:That...does sort of make it pointless, then, for something I only get once a day if I can't use it to catch people unaware. I'll just get a ring of protection, and perhaps feather falling.
It would still give you a potential advantage against other mages, but if you get something more ordinary, then I'm spared the bother of looking things up, so either way.
willpell wrote:What else could it be, though?
Just an enchanted amulet? Having mage hand at will instead of having to burn through what few measly cantrips 3.5 grants would be lovely, but I can't really justify having a mummified hand around my neck.
That one just lets you cast Mage Hand a bunch? I thought the mummified elf hand was the one that actually gave you a functional third hand for certain mechanical purposes.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:14 pm

willpell wrote:It would still give you a potential advantage against other mages, but if you get something more ordinary, then I'm spared the bother of looking things up, so either way.
Oh uh, it's page 127 of the compendium.
I'm always going to be outclassed against other mages as a beguiler if I can't get right up on them anyway, since I'm relying entirely on illusion, enchantment, and a little bit of divination and side utility. (Making most of my spell's saves will-based, so fighters and similar ilk are far easier targets. The nonlethal spells get nice dice to them, but overall I'm only useful when catching people unawares.) That's what I was hoping for the ring for--situational charm setups with chain casting to persuade targets out of their will saves. It is a 20ft emanation, but one centered on me, so I'd already be rather close for comfort attempting to cast on anyone actually aware of me. It's easier then, in that instance, to just go with less interesting but more generically number-y things.
willpell wrote: That one just lets you cast Mage Hand a bunch? I thought the mummified elf hand was the one that actually gave you a functional third hand for certain mechanical purposes.
Oh, no. That's the "spare hand." This thing. Mage hand isn't on the beguiler's list, so it'd be fantastic to have, but with the character's back story it'd be really hard to justify the item as-is.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

As long as you'll take it easy on the MacGuyvering, I'll okay it as a generic talisman.
My long-neglected blog.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm guessing since this thing has like 20 pages that you've filled your slot for players, but if any empty out or you need a replacement lemma know. I'm always up for a good old 3.5 game.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:40 am

Willpell wrote: Is this using the +3 LA half-dragon template, or is it just flavor? If you want a very easy "dragonizing", the Draconic template is only 1 LA, and that can have been bought off long since. I also have a houserule that you can take levels in Half-Dragon Paragon off of the Draconic template.
I actually just thought of it as fluff given he would have so many dragon like qualities (functional wings and tail), but I Think throwing a level at the draconic template. I've never used or heard of the variant where you buy off level adjustment, but that would mean I would start at level 8 only needing 3000 xp to get to level 9? I'm however not going to pursue the half dragon paragon and I guess bloodlines is out of the question :P

As much as I want to love the dragon shaman, it's kind of shit. Unfortunately I can't allow what you're suggesting, as DS's breath weapon is limited daily uses, while DFA's is at-will; the result would inevitably be cheese, even if it ended up not being cheesy enough to salvage a gimped character. Probably better if you don't cross the streams, or maybe take just a small dip into DS to get the auras and forget about the breath weapon.
Well, the limit is only 1d4 rounds, but I get your drift and will limit it to 3 levels to get the draconic adaptation.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:50 am

LA buyoff is that once you would reach LAx3 levels in your class, you essentially drop back to the start of that level, but get rid of LA. So for ´╝ï1, when you would otherwise move from 2 to 3, you drop back to 2 (there are maths involved, this is a bit of an over simplification). A ´╝ï2 couldn't be reduced to a ´╝ï1 until 5->6, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler