Which One Would You Play? (Survey for a New Game)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Which One Would You Play? (Survey for a New Game)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Since Minesweepers eats away less time than it did before (and using Gimp instead of the good ol' MsPaint has a big part in that), I feel like I should create another game for you guys (and gals).

Thing is, I don't have that much time to prepare for all of them, so I'm asking which one would you sign up for, and I'll begin working on the one that got the most votes. Since this is the Recruitment subforum, I expect that anyone who voices their opinion would eventually join something, so I won't run a game that ends up with small interest when I could have done a more popular one for you.

Here are my Ideas, feel free to comment on them:

1) One-way Ticket

If you have been around since the Keenspot era, you are probably holding fond memories of Warlock's "The Pit of ..." series, or if you have never heard about those, you should totally check them out now. Here is a link from the last game, but feel free to browse for the previous parts. Since Warlock has the Pit of... beginning trademarked and I'd like to respect that, I'm using a different name, but the basic idea behind the game is the same, with some small changes...

Rules (sketch):
  • Anyone can join the game, there is no upper limit. However, recruitment will close when the game begins, and only open again if the players unlock it.
  • The game is a permadeath game, and everyone gets to play only 1 character with a (very) feeble life. This means, you can die easily, and it will likely happen soon. Oh and once you are dead, you are out, sorry.
  • You get to waltz through a series of rooms filled with traps, monsters, and occassionally with things that don't kill you right away. The further you get, the better luckier you are.
  • The game will have a graphical platform view, so rooms will go left/right/down/up. Warlock's last game had depth too, but it's out of my league.
  • There will be a limited amount of items and an even more limited amount of NPCs to help you. Use your creativity, luck, and your comrades as cannonfodders teamworkers to survive!

2) Borglins

This game will take place in the future, in a cyberpunk/sci-fi-esque setting. There is no standard game system it adheres to, I'm making up the rules as I see fit. Some of these...

Rules (sketch):
  • Anyone can sign up, but the starting game will be limited to 5 players. In case the game recieves a big interest, I'm willing to start it with two or three groups of 5 players, and depending on the story they will be teamworking or competing with each other.
  • The game will be text-based, as doing sci-fi drawing is hard for me. If there is an artist among you who would draw characters / weapons / enemies / etc, then it will have pictures too! Else I may google some pictures if I see fit, but other than that, yeah, it's text based.
  • Only the goblin race will be playable (borglins, rather), but it has different classes: Tekkies are a bit weak on the health side, but they have a good amount of armament knowledge to use almost anything against anyone, and they specialize on high-tech ranged weapons and personal shields (force fields). Mekkies are the engineering class, they can drive most kind of ground vehicles and warbots. This also requires good physical strength, so if they are not inside something big and heavy, they are probably wielding something big and heavy - like power armors, savaged vehicle machine guns, rocket launchers and the like. Freakies do not care about technology much, they use melee weapons and their speed. They don't really distinguish between bionic or mechanized targets, if they get near to them, those are likely done for. Their weapons look mostly like knives, hammers, and your good old can-opener... yeah, if you fail to shoot them down, you will likely end up with more borglins inside your vehicle than you'd like. Not that it would bother you much for long, mind you. Stitchies are bad at fighting, but they are good at keeping their comrades alive, with whatever means neccessary. Really. Be careful showing them a sore leg, because you might end up with a titanium prosthetic (wheels included) powered by a small nuclear plant that is in the place where your heart should have been... and of course there are the Tinkies. They don't quite grasp technology like Tekkies do, or know how stuff works like Mekkies do, but they sure have a relentless aim to dismantle and rebuild/enhance anything they find. They also like explosives. Tinkies are good at explosives, for the simple reason that if they weren't, well, then they won't be Tinkies for long. Along with anyone within blast radius, of course.
  • Equipment will be richly available - that is, if the players are good at stealing / salvaging / fighting for them. Weapons are of a few melee (flamethrower included), mostly ranged (guns with standard ammo, plasma guns, laser guns, grenades, guided missles, rockets, and other kind of explosives). Armor consists of normal clothing, simple armors and hazmat suits, power armors, physical shields, force fields, and any pieces of solid materials that live through the assault of projectiles.

3) Mini-Game Series

Random games with random, simple rules, which might be kept secret just for the sake of it. Anyone can join them at any time, and they won't last longer than 1 or 2 weeks, or maybe even only a day. They will be to experiment with mechanisms, having fun, and to sprout ideas for other games with bigger scale.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Which One Would You Play? (Survey for a New Game)

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:29 pm

1 or 3- I must admit... that I'd like the amount of Graphic games to be kept if not raised... but.. its what fits you best...
mini game will allow for more players, as the games changemuch...
a Pit like game will allow for more player interaction, character creation and role play....

so... its what fits you...
-Best regards LAYF

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Well, I do like sci-fi, but seeing as I'd never play a forum game before, 1 seems like the best option. I can die easily so I won't be a pest for long, plus I like the added hardness to the "you die and your dead" kind of thing. Doesn't sound like it requires a terrible amount of skill beyond thinking through the best choices...so...count me in for that!
I am high in fructose.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I would like to play any of that. Rules of 2 seem to be complicated, though.

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:35 am

I like the idea of the one way ticket. I always loved reading the Pit of Series and was said when I stupidly killed my character in the last one.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 am

1 or 2.

1 is a known quantity so long as you can summon up the necessary Warlockian inventive deaths and casual disreguard for life. Plus, it lets lots of people play.

2, does sound unique. It would take a lot of work for the GM, and only be open to 5 payers. And, it probably needs more rules or a 'you can try anything' type attitude within reason but no severe penalties for initialy bad ideas from players. I'd be curious as to what the player's goal was, and how much NPC interaction there would be. Really, 1 is the easier and likely better choice.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Reirrac
Whispers Softly

Post by Reirrac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 pm

1 or 2 for me, I'd say to choose 1 if you seem to have more than 5 persons interested.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:45 pm

I am reading the old Pit series for two hours now... Get 1 going... :D

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

1. Never played in any warlock games.
"Winter is coming"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 am

Definitely 1 :) Those games were awesome!

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:54 pm

3. I liked your mini games on the old forum, they were creative and simple. (Well the one with the dots was not so simple but whatever :roll: )
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Wait, if one of these becomes a game, will you (Looks) post a comment here or PM people or what?
I am high in fructose.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:29 am

You will see when the sign ups will be open. ;) So far people are liking No. 1. , so I guess I'll start working on it slowly, but it will take time, as you guys sure must be entertained by spectacular deaths, and that's not easy to come up with... I'm thinking of making a small dungeon with about 30-40 rooms which means at least the same amount of deadly things to invent...
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 am

Hey, take your time. It's not like we're paying you and expect this anytime around the corner :P
I am high in fructose.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:I guess I'll start working on it slowly, but it will take time, as you guys sure must be entertained by spectacular deaths, and that's not easy to come up with... I'm thinking of making a small dungeon with about 30-40 rooms
D&D SRD traps section and roll randomly. Hell, even a bunch of their standard examples most people have not seen. OR, ask a few people here to PM you a trap / room (could be a monster or situation), with the understanding that if they do they won't be able to play in the game if you use their trap. Ideas are easy. Fitting them together semi cohesively and adding art, well, I think that part is the work, especialy the art.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.