PokTA: Midnight Anchor (Recruitment Currently Closed)

staron13
Indulges in Conversation

PokTA: Midnight Anchor (Recruitment Currently Closed)

Post by staron13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 am

[Sorry for the long post! :oops: ]

In the middle of the ocean lies a large island. The island has four large Cities as well as the Midnight Anchor Settlement, which houses Professor Douglas Fir's Laboratory and for which the world was named. It also have smaller, semi-permanent or temporary settlements out in the Wilds.

Due mainly to the various Pok├®mon who inhabit the island, several areas have distinct habitats, though all but the area surrounding Compline experience the seasons as normal. A map of both the island generally, and with habitats marked have been created so long ago that none can remember to who to give the credit, and remain accurate.

The year is broken up into thirteen months of twenty-eight days. The first three are Spring, the next four are Summer, the next three are Fall and the last four are Winter. Then begins Turnover, which continues until the First Thaw takes place at Midnight Anchor. The day after First Thaw becomes 1st Day, First Month, and begins a new year. {Yes, this means that years are not equal, but the seasons generally do fall somewhat neatly into the Months.} The format for dates are #th Day, Number Month, Year #. Ex: 4th Day, Sixth Month, Year 603. This can be shortened to 4th Sixth 603, though not on any official documents.

When children reach the age of 10, assuming they or their families are able to acquire the correct fees, they are granted a license to carry, use and capture Pok├®mon. They are also provided with a combination of two Pok├®mon or Pok├®mon Eggs, depending on the year.

This year, rumours have it that the Egg is of a somewhat unusual species that can become any Type, with luck and patience.

The Pok├®mon to select from are the elemental monkeys: Panpour, Pansage and Pansear.

Hello there, folks. This is a second Pok├®mon Tabletop Adventures game for these forums. If there's not interest, that's okay, but I'm looking for people to post at least once a week (if you don't regularly post at least once a month, without any explanation or notice, you'll be eaten by a Snorlax :ktongue: ).
{I also plan to have this be open for new players continuously, so long as not everyone are daily posters in one massive group, it shouldn't be overwhelming. If it gets to be that way, I shall close applications for a while.}

There are a few Houserules to get out of the way:
  • Psychics can use INT or CON for damage, as the new rules make INT completely useless and a stat-drain. [Mod if mod, stat if stat.]
  • Pok├®Dex use is a Trainer Action. The reason for this is simple: all my encounters (unless you have a Feature which allows otherwise) are randomly rolled by habitat. This means that, depending on your luck, you can find a very wide range of Pok├®mon rather quickly. Allowing 'Dex use to be a Free Action would allow for people to level up way too quickly, since I won't limit which Pok├®mon you meet.
  • Pok├®Balls do not activate when thrown at an unconscious Pok├®mon. It might still kill the poor thing, though, as that counts as an Arms attack. :stab:
  • If you send out a Pok├®mon in the Wild (or against a Trainer who breaks the rules), it can't be Commanded that turn (it takes about 6 seconds for them to be reformed from energy and get their bearings).
  • If you send out a Pok├®mon in a Trainer Battle against a proper Trainer, is can act if it is the first Pok├®mon of the match or replaces one that fainted. If you swap out a healthy 'mon, you lose the Command as per usual. [If you swap out an injured 'mon, the other Trainer's 'mon has time to recharge its EOT Move, if one was used the previous turn.]
  • Pok├®mon of all levels can kill or be killed, but if you're battling a proper Trainer, their 'mons will hold their punches, as it were, the moment the other Pok├®mon stops moving. (You won't drop to less than 100%, unless Poison or a Burn is involved.)
  • Likewise, a Shaman possession a Pok├®mon can decide to "pull their punches" during a battle. It'll always be assumed that your 'mons are not going to kill a Trainer's Pok├®mon unless instructed, and will always fight for their lives against Wilds (unless you have a way to make them understand why they should kill something that's trying to kill them).
  • On a related note: You do not need to roll Death Saves the second a Pok├®mon drops to -100% HP. If they are returned to their Pok├®Ball the next turn, they have X hours before the first roll. X is equal to their level. (In other words, bringing low level Pok├®mon several hours away from the nearest Pok├®mon Centre is not the best of ideas...)
  • Initiative: PCs before NPCs; Trainers before Pok├®mon; higher SPD before lower SPD; higher Level to break a tie; PC before NPC before Wilds to break further ties.
  • A Trainer can hold their action until after their Pok├®mon acts, but this must be clearly put in the action. (For example, if you're holding your capture attempt until after your Pok├®mon acts, that means the Wild might have a chance to do something that round before you attempt to capture it. Also, you would need to explain if you try to capture even if your 'mon misses with their attack, or hits another Pok├®mon instead for some reason.)
  • While you can make items that are run by Pok├®mon, and some electronics are in the world, there are no combustible engines. That means no one can make a huge ship, no airplanes, no cars and so on.
  • I use Happiness Evolutions, but they can also be heightened emotions Evolutions. (So your Pichu might turn into a Pikachu because you take good care of it, because it wants to kill you all the better, or because you're in one of those situations where it has no choice but to push itself to the next level.
  • Pok├®mon can gain equal experience by watching a Trainer Battle (a legal one, not one with someone that doesn't follow the rules), but not a Wild Battle. To gain XP in the Wild, a 'mon needs to take part in the battle, or at least be in danger of being injured.
  • Fossils don't exist on Midnight Anchor. "Ancient" Pok├®mon, like "Legends" are pretty much all on the random lists.
  • Legendary Pok├®mon do not automatically conform to the Abilities and Capabilities in the Pok├®Dex. [If you've ever played a Druid in AD&D, you might have an idea of how they work.]
  • While you can recall a Pok├®mon within line of sight up to 10 meters away, you can only release a Pok├®mon, or attempt to capture one, within 10 +/- DEX mod meters.
  • Trainer speed in combat is 5 +/- DEX mod meters.
  • Crits are not "damage rolled twice" but rather "add maximum damage to the regularly rolled damage". (This ensures a Crit never does less damage than a regular attack, but ATK/SATK and STAB are only applied once each.)
  • If a Pok├®mon is Trapped or Trapping as a result of a Move, that effect ends if a Capture attempt is made, even if it fails. If the Trap is the result of a Trapper Feature (or other similar effects) it has a 50% chance to remain in effect.
Yes, we use Arms Features, but you can only get one weapon for free. Each additional one costs 100 cash.
If a short range weapon is not a thrown weapon (a whip fits this description), it also gets the -1 to damage is used in melee range.

{I think that's all of them. >:? }

On, and less of a HouseRule than an OOC comment: For as far back as anyone can remember, or any records show, no one has ever left Midnight Anchor. As far as anyone knows, Midnight Anchor is the whole world.

Also, there are 8 Gyms, and Contests are held, but there are no Leagues, or Elite Four, or Battle Frontiers on Midnight Anchor.
Specifics vary for each Gym, but they all have two Teams. One for those with 0-3 Badges, and the second for those with 4-7 Badges. (Battles are not public and generally no one is allowed to scan the Gym's 'mons, due to the need to try and keep all challengers on an even footing.)

[I was going to offer a few options, but I don't currently have time to try and deal with the complexities of Pathfinder (maybe next fall, once I've graduated and might have a job that pays well enough to allow me to purchase the books instead of trying to use their SRD :ops: ), and I have no urge to support WOTC currently, by offering the SG-1/Wraith Recon based 4e game. >:( ]

For those interested in joining:
You will play a PC of at least 10 years of age and not more than 18. (People have usually settled into some non-Trainer lifestyle if they haven't been able to collect the fee by that time.)

You must come from one of the eight Cities, or Midnight Anchor, though MA is generally a Researcher hub.

Once the fee was paid, you'd have been asked to select between the elemental monkeys. (That's in the BackGround.)

Roll me 5d8 and d12 for the Egg. It's for RP and non-mechanical reasons, I assure you. Also, d100.

You start at Lv0, but keep in mind what you would like for Lv1, because I tend to give that out as a story reward.

You will have 3000 cash. Prices as per the Player's Handbook. Your family/PC would have likely already collected/purchased their supplies. And, yes, this means you can be someone aiming for Botanist and have Berries or Apricorns from day one, but keep in mind that's money that could have been spent on supplies to keep you alive until you reach that level. :paranoia: (Did I mention I roll encounters randomly?)
Special Equipment Rules wrote:You can purchase "treats" that are "failed" Pok├®Block/Puffins (in other words, they have none of the effects of their Berries and no effects on contest stats). How much they cost depends on the flavour.

If you have a specific flavour (Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Dry or Spicy): $50 for a pouch of 10.
If offered to a Wild, a match with the 'mon's "Like" gives you a 1d8 bonus to CHA. A neutral reaction to the flavour is a 1d4 boost, a Hate result is a 1d4 penalty.

If you purchase neutral flavoured treats: $100 for a pouch of 10. [More expensive, because you never risk a penalty.]
1d4 bonus to CHA to most Pok├®mon, but a 1d6 bonust to CHA if the Pok├®mon actually has a bland pallet (Likes "None").

Human medicines can work on Pok├®mon, but they take an extra 1d4 Turns to take effect in battle and take twice as long to have the Pok├®mon regain consciousness (20 minutes instead of 10).

Pok├®mon medication and Berries work on Humans, but they take an extra 1d4 Turns to take effect on Humans. Any effects that would modify a Pok├®mon's Stats, have no effect on Humans.

If you have any other questions, post them here.
Last edited by CelineSSauve on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Hmmmm a signature... I could put some awesome things here

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Re: PokTA: Midnight Anchor

Post by Runsaround » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 am

BLEEPING IN! Mystic preference. Later stuff I havw to sleep.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 am

Runsaround wrote:BLEEPING IN! Mystic preference. Later stuff I havw to sleep.
Welcome aboard. :cheer:

I suspect I won't be actually setting up the game in the IC area until Wednesday morning, since this weekend will be spent ensuring that I'm on track for my assignments. So, no hurry. ;)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 am

I am...interested. I guess I won't do another mystic...hmmm.

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 am

Playing a ranger/Trapper/petrolegist. I'll get a character up by the end of the day.
Last edited by WhirdCheese on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 am

WhirdCheese wrote:Playing a ranger/Trapper/petrolegist. I'll get a character up by the end of the day.
Oh! That reminds me... Fossils don't exist in my setting. But you can capture those Pok├®mon in the Wild.

Updated that House Rule and the one regarding Legends.

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 am

I'm only picking it for the traps. :P

How do I post my character?

Also can we start with any or just the elemental monkeys?
Last edited by WhirdCheese on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:00 am

WhirdCheese wrote:How do I post my character.
I have created an OOC thread in the games area, since that's still where OOC stuff goes. :P

Should have thought of that, sorry. :oops:

Don't forget to select your starting City as well.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 am

Uh...open to new comers...so not able to join I presume

Also decided to go with Breeder as the first class. So that I can breed geodude with anything! ANYTHING. (Inside joke)

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Uh...open to new comers...so not able to join I presume
?_?

Newcomers = people not already in the game... no?

At least that's the way we use the term around here?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 am

DERP I thought you meant people who haven't played it....

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:DERP I thought you meant people who haven't played it....
I changed it to something like "new PCs". ;)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

Okay :P I mad a character then. Which maybe a bit influenced from a friend's character, but not too much. Oh and is pokedex individually scanned? Or is it communial?

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Okay :P I mad a character then. Which maybe a bit influenced from a friend's character, but not too much. Oh and is pokedex individually scanned? Or is it communial?
Individual.

Even if you do end up deciding to start at the same spot as someone else.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Re: PokTA: Midnight Anchor (Currently accepting new PCs)

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm

We have one person starting in Vespers so far.

I have also added two bits of information to the first post here.
1) There are Gyms and Contests, but none of the extra stuff usually associated with them.
2) You each start with the Arms Feature and one weapon. Training in additional weapons cost 100 for each. (Since the various weapon ranges give you different options in battle.)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 pm

...you know what? I will start in None.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:...you know what? I will start in None.
Okay. Gym information was just sent to you. :)

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Got a question PMed to me about the Gyms, so I added a bit more above. You'll discover the particulars when you decide to challenge a Gym, but, yes, the last four you decide to challenge (if you are going after Badges, nothing says you must), are going to be using more powerful Pok├®mon than if you'd challenged them in the first set of four.

Of course, not all Gyms use the same levels for their two sets.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Two other houserules put up. Recalling Pok├®mon and Pok├®Ball use ranges as well as Trainer speed in combat.

If anyone has an argument to increase or decrease those ranges, now is the time to make them.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 pm

What if somebody has -6 dex mod?

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:What if somebody has -6 dex mod?
That would be someone who drops due to Classes, I take it? Minimum of 1 meter.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Must..refrain...from...becoming...tortoise.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:58 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:You will have 3000 cash. Prices as per the Player's Handbook. Your family/PC would have likely already collected/purchased their supplies.
I might be interested in joining once I know all of the rules. What is the "Player's Handbook" you speak of? Well obviously it is similar to a dnd player's handbook, but what I meant is is it an actually book somewhere that I have to read/download? Or is it a collection of rules and tables somewhere on this forum? Cause I am assuming it is specific to pokemon only.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 am

OK nvm, I think I found it. I will look it over and try to let you know by tomorrow if I will join or not.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 am

Arydra wrote:OK nvm, I think I found it. I will look it over and try to let you know by tomorrow if I will join or not.
Okay. Version 1.34 is the most recent, by my count.