Roll20 5e blend

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Roll20 5e blend

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Well, I have been considering for a bit if I had time to run a game. At this point it seems I do. I've decided to initially attempt this blend as a level 1, 5e, one shot. If it goes well it can become a campaign and I will flush out the world. Don't expect the eloquence of Spider or Thinks, but I will try.

As stands in the title this will be a blend of Roll20 and the forum. How exactly you ask? My answer - Dunno. It can be that I grant the chosen players access to the roll20 battle maps (with account creation) or that I post images of the player's location from roll20 in the forum. This is something I am open to discussing with the Chosen players.

Now to the meat - the system is a straight 5e. As this is a one shot with potential I will likely choose players based on forum participation initially (been around for a bit, can post fairly regularly). Looking for 4-5 willing souls (initially).

Interest?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Roll20 5e blend

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Well, I am always up for another game, although I'm not sure how able I'll be to commit to any live-play sessions on Roll20. I can almost certainly sort out some time to join in once in a while, but work and other RL commitments means I can't commit to another regular live game. If it's going to be mostly the usual play-by-post format, split between the forum and roll20 I'm totally down though! I have a couple of characters floating around who I've been wanting to test out, but I'd be equally happy with a random draw.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm interested, but not sure if I can do any live stuff. Play by post is probably going to be best for me as well. I'm pretty much on the same boat as thinks with the random draw.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:34 am

Sorry I wasn't clear on roll20, it won't ever be live there but you would be able to move your token yourself in the system. Though the more I think about it the more it seems like I will probably just use it as the map for battles and the players won't be able to interact with the tokens, just see them.

We can look at premade characters for sure, it is a pretty open field as far as characters go!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 am

Whatever works for you for character creation works for me. I think I'll go for a marshall class this time tho. They're simple and fun :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am

Well that's two. We will see if more folks are interested and I will get things firmed up a bit more!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am

I was thinking Halfling Diviner Wizard/Wild Mage, but I'm fine with whatever.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am

That would be fine. I have no idea how to manage a wild mage but I will look it up!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 pm

You know, I quite like the idea of an aasimar grave cleric... argh!!! There are too many choices!

Edit: I think a Protection Aasimar Sun Soul Monk sounds more fun. Cleric-flavoured punches for everyone!
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am That would be fine. I have no idea how to manage a wild mage but I will look it up!
I plan on taking up to three levels of it (not sure how many yet), either at the start or after a certian point of div wiz.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Well the plan is to start with a level 1 tester, mostly to see if I can manage it well and can be certain I can complete it. If it goes long enough for you to hit lvl 3 it will have been wildly successful.

Here's hoping.

Also @ Thinks - Jesus. So much I would need to look up with that build. :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Haha! It's legal, but all from Xanathar's guide (and maybe Volo's?) :) I'll do something simpler if you prefer to restrict the source books, this just sounded interesting. I have another one-shot this weekend to build a PC for, so the monk will get a test run somewhere soon regardless.

Also, half orc barbarians are just the gift that keeps on giving, so I'll be more than happy with whatever you're comfortable with :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Ah in that case, starting as diviner.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Rodgier.

I'd be interested, and I think I will go for a rogue. Which I've not played before of 5e.

I will also be out of the country the last two weeks of September, so little, at the most short posts, game play from me at that time, in case that's a problem.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 am

Shouldn't be a problem NSF, hopefully things will be rolling before that point and a couple weeks of short posts will probably be enough to keep things moving.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:54 am

I could jump in on this. Problem is that I don't really come up with character plans for D&D. Anyone want to make a suggestion for a role we'd need?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 am

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by how fun it's been playing a regular fighter (I always assumed it would be boring). They're solid in combat and can take any old background to really add a lot of flavour and interest to their character. I've got a human variant fighter in my RL game with the Guild Artisan (cartography) background and she is out looking for trade partners for her family business and makes maps as they travel. DEX fighters are pretty awesome all-rounders.

If that doesn't sound like fun, there's a cool random generator here:
http://gmh.xocomp.net/dd5charactergenerator/

It's not got all the latest stuff from Volo's / Xanathar's (Rodgeir might not accept those anyway), but it might be a good place to get some ideas. There's a drop-down menu on the left side with "roll abilities" in it. If you set that to "Buy (Manual)", it'll assign stats based on the regular array, which again might just help with a bit of inspiration.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:14 am

Oooooooooh.... I may play with that for a bit. Also I hope you guys don't hate me for making a joke character.

Also Roginer, I suggest that you go to the random thread and advertise your game, because recruitment is kind of hidden.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 am

Yeah it's a pretty cool resource :) Definitely one of the easiest websites for creating a complete character with all the necessary equipment, spells etc, which makes it great for pre-mades or NPCs when you're in a hurry.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 am

So at the moment we're considering a monk, a diviner-wizard, and a rogue, that probably means we'll need more healing, yeah? Cleric gets a neat cantrip from Unearthed Arcana that provides Temp HP on Touch, so it can do some pretty consistent work. That said, you described that monk as "cleric-flavoured punches" so maybe it's got the healing we need?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 am

I think rodgeir had better weigh in first, but Unearthed Arcana typically offer play test rules that aren't legal/official yet, so they might not be balanced. Up to rodgeir if he's willing to allow it, and the same goes for my aasimar monk - it might be easier to stick with the base rules or whatever depending on what R's got and is happy with.

Saying that, clerics have a huge amount of variety in 5e and there's a whole load of ways you can build one. Having a cleric in the group will never be a bad thing if you're willing to take the role :) my aasimar would be able to heal 1hp per day at level 1, so I wouldn't rely on that! :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 am

Ah, so that's why I've not really heard of Unearthed Arcana. Then again, I've never heard of Volo's before, either XP.

At the moment I'm considering a cleric with Death Domain, Grave Domain, or Life Domain, but may take another class with healing options.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am

I think all clerics can heal, no matter what their domain is, but yeah - there are some cool options for them :) otherwise, I think paladin -> druid -> ranger / bard are probably your best options if you want to keep healing. Wizards, warlocks and sorcerors can do it too, but it's not really what they're built for in the way that clerics and paladins are. You should have plenty of legit healing options no matter what you choose from the published books tho :) UA shouldn't be necessary.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 am

Wait, wizards can heal? How?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I look away for a day and get a storm of posts!

No UA please, but everything else is fine. Probably.

Seems like we got enough to get going!

Thinks, Burns NSF and Dlover - go ahead and roll for stats, pick a race, class, name and general background. For the stats you can choose to take the standard 15,14,13,12,10,8 or roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die 6 times (4d6.HIGH(3) in Coyote 6 times).

Let's stick with the system everyone is familiar with as far as posting rolls in the forum (Coyote or other is fine).

A general premise is that you will be coming into the middling sized town of Stenrek at a crossroads that can lead to pretty much any where in the Duchy of Lins.

Once we are ready I will make a Google Arc (copying Sundered Way) so we got everything handy.

@Dlover clerics can all heal, just some are better at it. Life clerics are made for it. Death clerics not so much!

Did I miss anything?