Re: Roll20 5e blend

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Stat rolls: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 6, 4, 4] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 4, 6, 5] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 2, 4, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 6, 6, 2] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 3, 1, 3] = 10
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 3, 4, 3] = 10

I'll place the stats later, but looks like she's pretty damn good!

I don't know what those areas are, but I am guessing they are landlocked.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Yep. Totally landlocked. The Duchy is on the southern tip of a continent and largely has ocean on the Southern, Western and Eastern sides. You're starting in the NW region of the Duchy, not all that close to the ocean. Nearest significant water source is a large river about a week's ride to the East. If you had horses. Which you don't.

Got a map...probably post it tomorrow.

Also the character looks solid all around...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Question, can I use starting money to cast find familiar? And can the familiar be a parrot (using same stats as raven, only has more colour)? Also should I have identify incase I get the component later or get something else?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I think I rolled the standard array :lol:

Stats rolls: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 5, 1, 4] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 3, 6, 2] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 1, 6, 5] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 4, 2, 2] = 8
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 3, 6, 1] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 4, 3, 3] = 10

I'm going Protector Aasimar, Monk 1, Outlander (Guide) background. Will post up details when I'm back at a laptop.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 pm

stats: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 5, 5, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 6, 6] = 18
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 6, 2, 6] = 18
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 6, 1, 5] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 1, 1, 6] = 8
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 4, 6, 3] = 13

... Have I ever mentioned that I am the most devout priest of Lady Luck the universe has ever seen? Because I am. RNJesus can get lost, The Fair Lady is the only true giver of gifts. Too bad there's not a Luck Domain. XD

Kind of unfortunate that I can't have super Cantrip healing, but it's fair, to be honest. :p

Okay, so... I think I'll be going with a Grave Priest.
Put the 18s into WIS and CON, and then, uh... 16 into STR, 13s into DEX and CHA, 8 into INT? How do those look?

Then it's a matter of choosing a race and equipment, so... Time to work out what race is best suited to a cleric and sounds fun.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 am

@Burns, I am fine with that. You can just start with a parrot and be broke. So you know a parrot is going to stick out here...well like a parrot.

@Thinks, Good job be absolutely standard in a team of what appears to be a team of super beings!

@Dlover, Well dang. Those are some good stats. Pick a god too that fits the grave theme while your at it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:17 am

Does your setting have specific gods? Or am I just... I guess seeing if I can find standard D&D ones, or coming up with one myself maybe?

Decided Firbolg looks interesting for race.

Also, starting cantrips will be Guidance, Light, and Toll the Dead.

Oh, and starting funds:
cleric gets 5d4x10 GP, so:
starting gold: 5D4 = [4, 4, 4, 2, 3] = 17
x10 is 170GP.

Wait, no, that's if you don't get normal equipment. Back to reading. >.>

Okay, here we go. Using the sheet... I think Spider provided? The one we use for Wandering Archipelago.
CHARACTER SHEET
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:57 am

Don't suppose we can all use the same stats, can we? Not that it's too big a deal, but man... I'm not going to be good at anything compared to these guys.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am

Swap some results, I'll give you a 16 and 13 XD

But yeah, Thinks is starting out pretty low compared to these results. I'd recommend we balance that some.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 am

PS what's the climate like here? I'm guessing it much be cold/temperate if there's no parrots...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:17 am

Character name: Shaldia "Captain Joe Average" Cottonwood
Species: Halfling (lightfoot
Alignment: Lawful Neutral ?

Stats:
Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 15
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

HP: 8

Background and profencies
► Show Spoiler
Spells:
Cantrips: Prestidigitation, shape water, firebolt
1st lv spells: Find familar, detect magic, tenser's floating disk, tasha's hideous laughter, mage armour, magic missile

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:25 am

Dlover, great! Thanks for putting the sheet together. I had already started on one but I can just copy in that one.

Where you are starting it is temperate. I honestly hadn't considered where one could find a parrot in the world, but it wouldn't be in Lins.

I have a couple balance ideas for Thinks but I want to see what NSF rolls before I announce them.

Link to the Google Arc page.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 am

I didn't really put the sheet together, just copied it from Wandering Archipelago and hid all the non-character pages.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 am

Stats generation: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 1, 1, 6] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 4, 2, 1] = 10
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 6, 3, 3] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 6, 1, 5] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 1, 3] = 10
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 4, 2, 6] = 12

Goodness. There was a lot of posting done in one day! I have a busy day until later this afternoon, I'll work on figuring out character stuff later this evening.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 am

Okay, well we have two average, one above average and one godlike character.

To level it out a bit NSF and Thinks you may take an ASI and +1 weapon. Your stats still aren't going to be at the level of the firbolg demigod Dlover rolled but you're a step closer. If things still seem off after the first bit I will consider what else needs to happen. Sound okay? (Also some reason for having the +1 weapon in your background would be great)

I will get you some more background and a map tonight.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 am

Sounds good to me :) I'm sure this will work out! A couple of questions:

1. Do tool proficiencies give the new bonuses as described in Volo's, or are they just fluff? For example, I'm having Vesri be an Outlander (Guide), and she is proficient with cook's equipment. Under the new rules, that gives a few benefits to finding food and making things taste good, but also allows folk to restore an extra 1HP per hit die spent during a rest that includes eating a meal. It sounds fantastically trivial, so no problem either way but thought I'd ask. I've included the specific details in a spoiler below.

2. I'd like to be able to speak a monstrous language as her extra one, since it would be useful in her role as a Guide. What would be an appropriately common monster language? Like, do folk most commonly get attacked by goblins, gnolls, giants around here or what? I've picked goblin for now, but if something else is more appropriate (i.e. there are no goblins in this realm), I'll swap it out.

I've got a +1 quarterstaff (from her tribe), and picked the Lucky Feat as her bonus ASI to suit her superstitiousness. Let me know if you need / want any more details.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Vesri
Race: Aasimar (She's not fully aware of this yet)
Class: Monk

Sheet Link:

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 130 lb

Physical Description: Vesri has dark skin, bright copper eyes and an athletic build. Her clothes are comfortable, made of linen and soft wool, with a tough hemp tunic over the top. She wears waxed, fur-lined leather boots and a soft, furry, waxed hide cloak to keep the weather out. She wears her hair in a mohawk, into which she has threaded dyed leather strips to fasten the three feathers from three hawks that she caught by hand during her monk training.

Traits: I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn to my village of an approaching orc horde. I’d do it again if I had to.
Ideal: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Bond: My family is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw: I am deeply superstitious and go out of my way to avoid situations I think will bring bad luck.

((I couldn't find a flaw I liked, so I made one up. Let me know if this is ok or not))

Backstory:
► Show Spoiler
Aasimar Features
  • Within 60 feet, treat dim light as bright and darkness as dim light.
  • Resistance to radiant and necrotic damage
  • You can heal a creature your level of hit points by touch as an action (1 per long rest)
  • You can cast the Light cantrip
Monk Features:
  • Add WIS mod to AC when not wearing armor or using a shield.
  • When unarmed or using monk weapons, can use DEX for ATT and DAM rolls.
  • Unarmed strikes deal more damage (d4)
  • Can make an unarmed attack as a bonus action after the normal attack action
Outlander Feature: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Bonus ASI: Lucky Feat
► Show Spoiler
Proficiencies:
One Musical Instrument (Flute)
Cook's Utensils (-1GP if I can buy these prior to the start of the game)
► Show Spoiler
Trinket
If we get trinkets at all, Vesri carries a pocketknife that was given to by a cousin she was close to. It's a decent, but worn blade, set into a new handle that's been carved from the leg bone of the first wolf he hunted on his own. She's very fond of it.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Everything looks good to me Thinks. I don't know much about monks but I'll learn along the way. Maybe Vesri can come from the Steppes (see the map)?

Answering your questions:

1. I like the idea that tool proficiency actually matters, so Volo's recommendations will apply
2. There are goblins in the region, there aren't many orcs on this side of the river, there are kobold, there are some giants

Here is the promised map.

As you can see Stenrek is in the NW region of the Duchy with roads leading to Bridgeway, Hillen and Wistingar within the Duchy and the major trade road with the nearest Dwarven kingdom of Thalmiir (also the name of the capital city). The Duchy is bordered to the north by Thalmiir and Balyon and surrounds the Lindh Protectorate and the Dragonborn Portlands.

A bit of history about the Duchy (and world):

Nearly 700 years ago the major Elven empire (the Golden Empire) invaded from their own continent and managed to take control of nearly half the continent that the Duchy resides on. After nearly 150 years of on and off war and staggering losses on both sides the Elves agreed to remove the majority of their forces from the small portion of the continent they controlled but would keep that region. The region became the Duchy of Linds and was ruled by a daughter of the ruling Elven empire. Shortly after Elven forces were withdrawn from the region an assault was launched by an ambitious dragonborn alliance that resulted in the loss of the southeastern portion of the Duchy. While the Duchy's forces were otherwise engaged a rebellion began that resulted in the Duchess agreeing to allow the southwestern portion of the Duchy to be largely self ruled. Since that point the Duchy has, more or less, maintained a strained peace with Balyon and the Dragonborn Portlands. The Duchy is on marginally friendly terms with the Protectorate and Thalmiir but remains closely tied to the Golden Empire. The daughter of the first Duchess took the throne a few decades earlier and relations have generally improved with all their neighbors but grown more strained with the Empire.

The people in the Duchy are diverse but the Duchy's laws have always favored elves over all other groups. The new Duchess's policies have rolled back a number of these laws but there are still a large number of entrenched, and very long lived, Elves in nearly all positions of power. The Duchess is popular with the average non-elf and a group of forward thinking elves in the Duchy but much less so with the majority of elves. While common is spoken everywhere Elvish is the language of the ruling class and all legal documents must be written in Elvish.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Sweet! I'm totally from the Steppes, that seems cool :) On the map, is the Duchy just the part within the grey-blue lines, or does it extend everywhere and out to the black lines? Not sure if the grey-blue are roads or rivers or boundary marks.

As far as Aasimar go, they have a divine connection to an angelic being (apparently), who can speak to them through their dreams. How you want to handle this is totally up to you (or you can dump it entirely, I'm not particularly fussed), but there's a bit more info on the Aasimar page. Could be fun to have some half-annoying divine being constantly bugging her to be less chaotic and offering patronising encouragement when she listens and rebukes when she doesn't. I imagine there would be a lot of eye-rolling :lol:

Aasimar info:
► Show Spoiler
PS I'll keep Goblin as my extra language. It suits her outsider background better than learning fancy-schmancy elvish :D

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Are you saying my map drawing skills are poor?!!! Yep.

The Duchy extends north to the blue river above Bridgeway (west of Bridgeway the Queen's River and East the Hag's River). The Hag's Swamp is also included in the Duchy. The Thalmiir border starts at the foothills of the mountains. I will add another black line for those borders. The blue grey lines are major rivers, not borders. There are no roads pictured. The stars are capitals. The Steppes are part of Balyon (a republic).

I saw that the Aasimar had an angel 'buddy' but was gonna let that be until we see how the first quest or goes, both for me to get comfortable and narratively. It seems like the stronger you get the more interested an angel would get in Teaching you.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area background or anything else everyone!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. And yeah - happy to see if we actually survive level 1 before we start adding random celestials into the mix :lol:

Edit to add: Perhaps her uncanny luck could actually comes from this "guardian angel" thing she's got, rather than the superstitions she believes it to be from. That might be a decent way to explain the divine link, the lucky feat, and her superstitions all at once.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Elven accuracy is a feat from Xanathar's guide, would that be allowed to be used?

And it appears I'll be making a high elf rogue.
Would it make sense that his parent could be running a business in the middle sized city we are beginning the adventure in?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 pm

What main city would halflings be in?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 pm

If info about Firbolgs is needed: http://dnd5e.wikia.com/wiki/Firbolg

Right then, proper info about my character:

Name: Lurn
Race: Firbolg
Class: Cleric (Grave Domain)
Sheet:
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 223lb

Background: Far Traveler
Cause: I come to this land as a pilgrim, to share the truth of the Lord of the Dead.
Trait: I honor my deities through practices that are foreign to this land. (A single stone should be placed upon the graves of the dead when passing by.)
Ideal: Open. I have much to learn from the kindly folk I meet along my way.
Bond: So long as I have this token from my homeland, I can face any adversity in this strange land. (The necklace trinket he bears)
Flaw: I cannot bear to ignore the traditional rites my people show to the buried dead, even should it cause offence.

Backstory:
► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 am

@NSF - Elven accuracy is allowed. Your parents can be from the town. Guessing you are an 'enlightened' elf if you are going to associate with non-elves? There is going to be some baggage with being an elf in the Duchy, both good and bad.

@Burns - The halflings don't have an area in the Duchy that is really theirs. They mostly just live wherever the humans live. A large number live in the Protectorate though. Halfings were/are considered about on par with humans, which is to say only a step above orcs and goblins.

@Dlover - The Duchy doesn't have a set state religion and is generally friendly to firbolg. Nothing about being born under a rare star that granted its blessing?

I will try to start get everything into the sheets. Once that is done and we are good to go on the characters we can roll.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:39 am

Ok. I have a very long day at work today, which normally doesn't stop me from making posts, but creating a character is another story. So it will be later tonight I get this done.

Yes, He will be an enlightened elf. Would it make sense that he keeps those progressive ideas hidden, or is it not so much of a stigma that he would not hide it. His family agrees with his beliefs that no races are lower than others.

We'll have a group without humans :)