Ninjas game (Text based, combat)

Inspired
Game Master

Ninjas game (Text based, combat)

Post by Inspired » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello Everyone!

I always wanted to make a nice game about ninjas. Ideally it would be graphical, but life has shown me that I neither have the resources or the time to produce art for that. I know there have been attempts (both me and LAYF had ninja game ideas) and I also know they didn't get far.

Thus, I'm only making a survey now of who would be interested in another attempt. I'm providing more info below:
  • The game will be text based. I'm not the best GM so descriptions might lack, but feel free to ask for more details where necessary.
  • The game has two modes: In story mode the players are free to move around and interact with each other / NPC / objects. In combat mode their actions are bound by the combat rules, and their character sheet stats matter. (Kind of like a classic Pen&Paper game. Or kind of like a LSN's game without the awesome art he always provided.)
The "basic" character has the following stats:
  • 5 Hit Points (HP): Representing their life. If it falls below 0, they die.
  • 1 Strength (STR): Representing their physical strength. Modifies some weapon/skill bonuses or interaction with objects.
  • 1 Agility (AGI): Representing their agility. Modifies weapon/skill bonuses or interaction with objects.
  • 0 KI inner power (KI): Ki (or Qi) is the inner power of one. Basically mana in games that have casters. Only ones trained with KI can use it, they start with 3 KI. (See later at Interests).
  • 2 tile combat movement (MOV): The amount of tiles a player can move within 1 turn in combat mode. This would be nicer in a graphical game, but I'll try my best to describe everyones position as best as I can. Maybe I'll be even drawing ugly combat maps. The amount of tiles that can be moved can be increased or decreased based on skills/feats/equipment/actions. (It will be stated appropriately.)
  • 0 Perception (PER): Since it is a ninja game, the perception is an important feature. It is not a "stat" in the sense as it would constantly influence a combat, it is bound to perception checks. A perception check can be called either by the player or the GM, in which a player throws a D10 and the result will determine the success, the higher score, the better. The perception stat symbolizes a bonus to the thrown result, which can be further influenced by circumstances (like the presence of "noise" for an action (e.g. fog/smoke bomb for visual checks, creaky floor for stealth checks, etc. )
  • 0 Defense (DEF): Physical defense provided by armor or skills. Reduces the damage taken. See Combat.
The "basic" character also has the following:
  • A main interest: A reason they chose to become a ninja. Interests are basically the groups of skills/feats/traits a character can learn. There are 4 interests, and a character can only have 1. They are able to learn things from the other interests too later on, but far not that deep as they can in their chosen one.
  • A family heritage: Each ninja is proud of their ancestors, and they hone the tradition their family brought them up with. Players are free to create their family heritage, which grants them 1 free skill/feat/trait, and 1 free item at start.
  • Inventory: Since the ninjas will be on the move, they don't carry much: A basic set of ninja clothes (required for stealth), a starting weapon if they chose weapon mastery, the family heirloom, and special items (if they chose specific interests).
The Combat System (spoilered for brevity):
► Show Spoiler
The 4 Interests that a player can choose from at start. Spoilered for brevity:

The Way of One Self
► Show Spoiler
The Way of the Weapons
► Show Spoiler
The Way of Ninjutsu ("Ninjahood")
► Show Spoiler
The Way of Internal Power (KI Training)
► Show Spoiler
I deliberately did NOT list every skill and feat related to the Interests. I encourage every player who wishes to play to think up their "own" skill or feat and upon discussion I can give an "official" description of their thought-up ability. They can choose to accept that or look for another skill.

Learning new skills requires using the already existing ones (in case of passive skills they will just generally add to the progress), and the GM will sometimes just say "a new (general) skill" can be learned, or sometimes "a new (specific) skill" can be learned, if the preconditions are met.

I'm waiting your opinions and / or applications! (If the latter: IGN, color, backstory (family heritage), main interest.) Taking 4-5 players in one group, or 6 that are in two groups. (State your preference. 1 group is coop, 2 group mode might not be.)
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Ninjas game (Text based, combat)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:22 am

This sounds highly interesting to me. You also did a great job on the "skill trees"/main interest as you call it, I just read through them and I honestly don't know which one I would pick.

I would prefer the co-op, I really loathe PvP.

I don't have the time to come up with a char atm, as I will be leaving later today for a short trip. I should be back on Tuesday, but if the available spots are filled by then, I understand. :)
So, while I would be thrilled to play this, the main thing here was to give you feedback to your idea.

PS: "Welcome back" (I hadn't consciously seen you in quite some time, might be connected to the new handle) and I don't suppose you bringing back Minesweepers would be an option? o:)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Inspired
Game Master

Re: Ninjas game (Text based, combat)

Post by Inspired » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:PS: "Welcome back" (I hadn't consciously seen you in quite some time, might be connected to the new handle) and I don't suppose you bringing back Minesweepers would be an option? o:)
► Show Spoiler
Some additional info for the game
  • Simple weapons do not require a fitting mastery to perform a basic attack (using the combat action to inflict the weapons base damage), so feel free to obtain a weapon of your liking (either as a heirloom or during the game). Who knows, you might find yourself proficient with it sooner or later...
  • Every ninja is trained in basic unarmed combat, which deals 1 damage (prone to DEF) in 0-1 range. The unarmed combat interest extends this to the possible limits of the character. (So if a player starts with this interest, they will already deal 2 damage unarmed (1 base + 1 from the interest).)
Here are some sample character sheets, to show some options:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
I hope these examples get your creative minds going! Also to show that the rules aren't extremely rigid! You are free to create quirky characters, the game is meant to be fun...
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.