Dungeon crawler (closed)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Dungeon crawler (closed)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Hey folks! I've picked up a couple of indie modules this week that looked cool and are designed to fit into various systems (including DND). From what I've read so far, the feel is a bit dark souls, a bit darkest dungeon, a bit ghashlycrumb tinies and theres quite a lot of surreal terribleness.

Anyway, one of them is called the Maze of the Blue Medusa and is basically a mega dungeon with a whole ton of weird, terrible stuff in it (and has a lovely map). The other one is called the Deep Carbon Observatory and seems to nominally be a game by involving a flood in which terrible things happen. Its a little more open, but also ends up in A Dungeon of Terrible Things.it probably has a lovely map but I've not got that far yet. Have a Google of each and let me know if you have a preference. The default option will be the Maze. They're both designed to reward player ingenuity more than PC skills, so expect that type of game. Rolls to "find clues" or whatever generally won't be allowed - you guys will need to do the thinking and so note-taking as we go will not be a horrible idea :)

So, is anyone interested? I need to work out a few details, but we'll probably run with 5e rules and start at level 3 if you want to play in hard mode, or level 6 if you want a slightly easier time. There may be a couple of minor restrictions on character options to make sure everything matches the intended feel, but nothing major. Stats will be based on the standard array.

Since the death toll is likely to be (very?) high, I'll probably have each player build a roster of 3 characters (of different classes) and then generate the starting party at random from the options. I think that will be fun >:D

We'll start with a rolling party of 4 or 5.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: Dungeon crawler

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:46 am

It sounds interesting. Let me think about it some, since I can't access a dice roller from work anymore I'd have to a bunch of pre-rolls. Naming should be easy: Meatsack 1, Meatsack 2, etc. :chuckle:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:51 am

Lol! I meant to say too - don't worry too hard about character details at this stage- literally all you need to begin would be the basics (e.g. half orc barbarian sailor or human wizard outlander or whatever.). The details can come after the party is chosen.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Nudging this again since it's been a few days in case anyone's interested who missed the first post. Otherwise, there's no time limit on this - just post if you're interested and we'll see who's around :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah, I think people missed it what with it being Christmas and stuff. :P Personally I'd... Say I think I'm interested? Yeah, sure. What details would you need to start off?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

I'd need three characters of different classes that you fancy playing really (class, race, background; following 5e rules). They don't need stats or anything else until the roster is built, but you can do them if you'd like (using the standard array). Oh - and let me know if you'd rather start at level 3 or level 6. Your starting gear will reflect your level, and you'll have a bit of an easier time if you start at L6.

The Maze is very different to my usual style, so it'll be interesting to give it a test run and see how it goes :)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 am

Yeah, I'd be interested. Tho I hate the process of making new characters....THREE of them...Yikes. :)

I guess I'd prefer the 6th level version, as I haven't had much chance to play in games with anything over 5th level.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:09 pm

I haven't had much chance to run anything over level 3 either to be honest :lol: We'll work it out!

If you prefer, you can always run use something like this to generate some ideas. Set the stats dropdown to "Buy Abilities (manual)" or "Buy Abilities (detailed):
http://gmh.xocomp.net/dd5charactergenerator/

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm still trying to decide how much trouble it would be for me, since I can't do rolls when I'm a work (unless you guys trust me with a set of manual dice. :P I'd be running a weird hybrid of old school paper and dice and a computerized version when I'm at home.)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 am

I might be interested....what sort of restrictions are you putting on the characters? Basic races/classes only? Or are Volo races and Xanathar classes a-okay?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 am

I'm leaning towards no restrictions on classes at all just now. I was thinking of restricting certain spells to fit the theme of the setting (which is more survivalist than 5e is built for), but I'm not sure that's going to be necessary in character creation. I think I'm going to be playing with how magic works within the setting though, depending on where you are in the dungeon etc.). The whole maze is pretty weird though, so I'm inclined to just let you guys go to town :)

Lurks, you could always roll on your phone I guess? I don't need to see the dice code for every roll, but it's be nice if it was online somewhere just in case. It's more for fairness than trust, but I'd prefer to stick with the online roller as much as possible in case we get new players joining or whatever.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 pm

PS: If the 3 character thing is too arduous, just make one :)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:25 pm

The link you have put up for character creation is amazo!

I will begin working on characters if this is going to be a go.
Have you decided on 3rd or 6th level yet?

I just know I'm not picking cleric as a class, need to expand my horizons.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Up to you guys. You'll be able to level up in the maze itself and like I say, a lot of the challenges are designed to be old skool, where the players do most of the work. We'll have dice rolls as we go for skills and stuff, but a good roll will almost never be enough on it's own. It'll need to be backed up by some kind of player plan/ RP for success.

Even battles should be treated more like puzzles than XP packets and you'll likely die very early on if you try to murder hobo your way through.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the starting level is only going to help you so much. You as players will be doing most of the work :)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm

:chuckle:
Currently I am without a cell phone. My prior employer supplied my last one (a flip phone) and they took it back when I left. We've been busy with the job move, training, etc. that we've not got around to getting a new one yet.
I'll look at the character generator. I'm with Sticks. I think I want to do something other than ranger, but I'm not real sold on any one class.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I've got ideas for 3 characters at level 6, so that's my vote :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Ok, level 6 it is then :)

And no worries lurks, if needs be I can do a roll for you here and there, but I'm happy for you to just roll for yourself for the time being.

If M0rt's playing, we'll start with 4 players, otherwise I'm happy to launch with 2 or 3. I don't think it matters enormously on account of the deadliness :) more players can join as we go, and new characters can be picked up inside the maze as well.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah, I"m in as well! I could probably think of three 6 level characters as well. Just... Don't expect them to be GOOD level 6 characters. :roll:

What exactly would you be looking for right now? Just a raw class/race outline, right, or more?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Just the race, class and background for now and then I'll randomise the party. You're welcome to do more if you'd like, but it's not necessary for now.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:17 am

Ok.

Well, here we go then.

Mountain Dwarf Fighter (battle master) Guild Artisan
High Elf Ranger (Hunter) Outlander
Tiefling Druid (Circle of the Land) Hermit

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:12 pm

- Firbolg Paladin (Oath of Ancients) Acolyte
- Tortle Monk (Kensai)/Barbarian Outlander
- Deep Gnome Wizard (Illusion) Criminal

Are these all okay, Thinks? Also, for stats, are we going to be doing point-buy or rolling for them?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Sure thing. They're all in the legal books so I've got no issue with them. I don't have Xanathar's guide though, so anything in there (which i think is just the tortle monk) will be using online-only resources from my side if that's ok with you?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Tortle isn't Xanathar's, it has it's own mini-book ("The Tortle Package"). You can get everything you need to know from here though.

(Also if you want I can PM you the address of a totally-legal online resource with all the books uploaded....)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:50 pm

I'd be interested if you're still taking folks...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Gotcha :) Thanks for the offer, but it's not urgent :) I'll just trust you guys to keep on top of your PC abilities for the most part. I'm pretty sure i can find all the spell descriptions etc online.

Spider, you're very welcome to join, and i'll close it there. Draw up 3 characters and we'll build a party :)