Doors and Shadows 5e game OOC (Open for one more.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows 5e game recruitment

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 am

Or with certain items that increase it above 20.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:55 am

So I'm going to make a change here rather than repost...
► Show Spoiler

The only thing is I'd like to give her skills with navigation and small craft for an additional weakness that because most people she encounters know, or know of the legend of her Grandfather Sir Jas Falstaff, they automatically think she is a pirate if she has to mention her last name.
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Hm. That may or may not factor into things, but I'll definitely keep it in mind as far as reactions go.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Draco Ex Machina wrote:Hm. That may or may not factor into things, but I'll definitely keep it in mind as far as reactions go.
I'm not sure if this is a yea or a nay on my addition...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I wouldn't necessarily say the bad reputation but is going to to be enough, on its own. Is there something from the faction agent background you'd be willing to swap out? Alternatively, there are feats that could give it to you, if you'd be willing to swap out magic initiate for now. (The skilled or Prodigy feats)

I don't have my books on me right now, but I'll look them over in a bit and come up with some suggestions.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Kenku are cursed with lack of flight, Trill is gonna be envious of the peacock man. She usually was the 'crows nest', serving as lookout and ranged support if the ship ran into trouble. Being in the lookouts perch is closer to flying than most kenku achieve.

She also can't speak on her own, but can mimic phases and sounds she hears. If we are starting with amnesia, depending on if her recollection of such is affected, this could be interesting.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 pm

That's ok :) With my magic, Trill will soon* be able to soar** like she was born to fly***!

* At Level 5+...
** For up to 10 minutes
*** If by "fly" you mostly mean "falling with style"

EDIT: What is the time limit on speech repetition? Does it have to be within the last few minutes? A day? Indefinite doesn't really make sense because that's no different to learning a language like a normal person...
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Amnesia is plot related, and could go back anywhere from a few months to maybe a year or two.

Kenku have perfect recall, so it's indefinite.

They already know languages, they just don't have their own voices. I think it's mostly there for flavour.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Huh. Ok, fair enough :) Then yeah, Kenku would be freaking awesome bards and VERY, VERY useful legal witnesses.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I know, right? I mean, as far as singing goes, they don't have their own voice, so their songs are kind of limited to having heard good music before. On the other hand, hey, built in looper pedal. ;)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Kenku sound awesome.
spiderwrangler wrote:Kenku are cursed with lack of flight, Trill is gonna be envious of the peacock man. She usually was the 'crows nest', serving as lookout and ranged support if the ship ran into trouble. Being in the lookouts perch is closer to flying than most kenku achieve.
"Do not fret my flightless friend! I, the Great Dazzling Prancing Peacock shall lift you to new heights!" Maximilian is going to be so fun. ^.^ Ham to the max.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 pm

You guys are going to give Typhos a very skewed idea of what "normal" means in this world!

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Draco Ex Machina wrote:Oh, my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I wouldn't necessarily say the bad reputation but is going to to be enough, on its own. Is there something from the faction agent background you'd be willing to swap out? Alternatively, there are feats that could give it to you, if you'd be willing to swap out magic initiate for now. (The skilled or Prodigy feats)

I don't have my books on me right now, but I'll look them over in a bit and come up with some suggestions.
Truthfully, it was more of character background than actual usefulness in terms of the game...I'll just adjust them out since she's going to have amnesia anyway...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Draco Ex Machina wrote:I know, right? I mean, as far as singing goes, they don't have their own voice, so their songs are kind of limited to having heard good music before. On the other hand, hey, built in looper pedal. ;)
They'd be amazing servants for rich people too, or as a way of broadcasting important or high-value information. Want to impress your guests with all the wonderful performances you've ever heard by the best performers in the world? Take your kenku servant with you and have them reply the performances at your next dinner party! What to be sure the rulers decree is heard (and believed)? Have kenkus deliver the message in their voice!

You could even "back up" their memories by having important information passed perfectly between kenku or from generation to generation. I mean, it potentially sucks for the kenku, but they could be super useful!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah, they are certainly primed for being abused and take advantage of by others...

I imagine that some of it might be allegorical, sort of like this episode of TNG...

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvlLcOTy6M[/BBvideo]

I considered going rogue, and might pick up a level or two at some point, but playing a bard that isn't able to produce original speech seemed the more interesting choice.

I also have minor illusion as a drum machine/looper, and planning on using a theme of every insult or demeaning laugh I've ever heard uttered at once for Vicious Mockery.

The only higher level spell I know for sure that Trill will be getting as soon as she can is Polymorph...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Polymorph will be very interesting! That's a spell I really want to play with at some point - the possibilities with it are pretty awesome!

Well, I am excited for this! Looking forward to starting :D

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 pm

This isn't an adventuring party...It's a damn pick up band!

We have a lyre playing Auto-Bard, a guitar playing Monk, and a swarm playing Paladin!

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:49 pm

...and the pyrotechnics guy?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Well, obviously the water gendai is the purotechnics person.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Then I suggest we form a metal band to take full advantage of the lightning :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I can also bring the THUN-DER!

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM[/BBvideo]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Then I suggest we form a metal band to take full advantage of the lightning :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW30Q4B3Go

We need a drummer....

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 pm

We can do drums with Minor Illusion, then amplify the singer / add booming rumbles with Thaumaturgy.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 pm

In addition to mimicked vocals and sound effects, Trill is proficient in lute, lyre and drums, since taking something like a flute that requires lips to play doesn't make sense. Also has Minor Illusion for drum machine/beatbox.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, I've been procrastinating getting us started because I was trying to find a nice cloud based format I could store and update everyone's character sheets, but it's slow going, so I'll just get you started later tonight, or tomorrow at latest. (Sorry, tonight's my live game.)