Gauging future interest in Arcanum based game

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Gauging future interest in Arcanum based game

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 am

So there is a game I played the hell out of back in 2001-2003, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. It was created by members of the team that developed the first two Fallout games, and mechanically retains much of the feel of those games, though set in a completely different world. It remains a favorite RPG, though I haven't played it in years. This thread is to gauge general interest in taking a trip into this setting with me at the helm as GM. If you're not familiar with the game, the following description is lifted from a game wikia.
game summary wrote:Imagine a place of wonder, where magick and technology hold equal sway, and an adventurer might just as easily wield a flintlock pistol as a flaming sword. A place where great industrial cities house castle keeps and factories, home to Dwarves, Humans, Orcs and Elves alike. A place of ancient runes and steamworks, of magic and machines, of sorcery and science.

Arcanum creates a compelling new world where magic and technology coexist in an uneasy balance. As Arcanum opens, the mechanical age has only recently arrived in this ancient land where Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and other races have learned to survive in the new sprawling industrialized cities. But this radical shift from magic to technology has created a potentially explosive situation. As the townspeople and other thinkers begin mass production of light bulbs, batteries, eyeglasses and guns, the Mages grow leery. This tightly wound setting is the starting point from which the character must set out on his quest.
My intent would be to set the game in the same world, with many of the same places, but likely not retaining the plot and storyline of the original (though that is arguably a big part of what made that game great). The party would likely be on the smaller side (3-4 players).

Some differences from other RPGs in the Arcanum world:

The main alignment that has mechanical implications for gameplay is the scale between Technology and Magick. A magic user attempting to use a tech device is more likely to have it fail (sort of Harry Dresden-like), and vice versa. Those following the tech disciplines work within the physical and chemical laws governing the universe, while magic users bend the natural laws to their will. Good/evil - Order/chaos are relegated to RP interactions.
'
Primary stats are Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Beauty, Intelligence, Willpower, Perception and Charisma.

What you are able to do in a turn is based on the number of Action Points available (derived from DEX stat, similar to Fallout 1 & 2). Essentially, if you have 10 AP, you can spend that to attack, move, swap items, etc. each of which costs a certain number of AP.

Trainable skills are broken into Combat, Thieving, Social and Technological. Each of these is subdivided into 4 skills, each of which has 3 levels (Apprentice, Expert, Master) in which characters can be trained by experienced NPCs.

Magic users can can advance in 16 spell colleges (Conveyance, Divination, Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Force, Mental, Meta, Morph, Nature, Black Necromantic, White Necromantic, Phantasm, Summoning, Temporal), each of which contains 5 spells of increasing strength (and prereqs). Each advancement in spell college will increase the character's overall magick alignment, increasing strength of some spells and increasing failure rate with technological devices.

Technological users can advance in 8 technology disciplines (Chemistry, Electric, Explosives, Gun Smithy, Herbology, Mechanical, Smith, Theraputics). Each discipline has 7 obtainable degrees (Novice, Assistant, Associate, Technician, Engineer, Professor, Doctorate). Each advancement in a tech discipline will increase the character's overall tech alignment, increasing success with tech devices, etc. Additionally, with each degree, the character will gain a schematic that gives them knowledge of how to craft a new item in that discipline (eg, Explosives Novice will be able to combine Fuel + Rag = Molotov Cocktail), and may encounter additional schematics in their travels that allow they can use if they are skilled enough in that tech discipline.

So, to reiterate, this is NOT signups, as I'm not ready to begin a game in this setting, I just really liked the computer game and would like to try to develop a forum PnP version. However, before I spend the time figuring out formulas, I wanted to get an idea if there are enough people that might be interested for me to spend the time. Any input, questions, or suggestions are welcome.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Re: Gauging future interest in Arcanum based game

Post by Quarg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:46 am

Although I fully support this...

Don't you have a group of sparks awaiting your return?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am

I certainly do! I have no immediate plans for this, SCH comes first FOR SURE. Just kicking the tires on a concept for a future game.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:30 pm

This seems really interesting

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:39 pm

I'd be interested, but I'm not sure I have time for another. I need to find time for my own!
► Show Spoiler

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd be pretty interested.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!