Interest check, and idea leech

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Interest check, and idea leech

Post by Runsaround » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 am

A number of years ago, I played an interesting forum game on the giant in the playground forums. The idea behind it was that one adopted the role of one of Magic: The Gathering's planeswalkers, and influenced the course of a small dimension through the use of extreme magical power. Eventually it would come to pass that the barriers between worlds would weaken, and that is how the different players would interact.

So the format would work like this:
Actions every 200 years (20-40 turns)
3-4 "planeswalkers" (Don't know enough about MTG to include any useful references)
Roughly every ten turns a "planestorm" allows the planes to interact. The planeswalkers do not retain their near-godlike powers and invincibility in other planes.

The thing about this that I'm having trouble conceptualizing is the ending. How exactly does the saga wrap up?

So the idea behind this post is to gauge interest for this, as well as look for ideas on how to end it. Feel free to PM me.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

Quarg

Re: Interest check, and idea leech

Post by Quarg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 am

Er...maybe some intrest but I think you need to do a better job explaining it cause I'm confused...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Runsaround wrote: Roughly every ten turns a "planestorm" allows the planes to interact. The planeswalkers do not retain their near-godlike powers and invincibility in other planes.

The thing about this that I'm having trouble conceptualizing is the ending. How exactly does the saga wrap up?

Sounds interesting, but as Quarg mentioned, a better idea of the mechanics of the game would be useful in drumming up interest. What will players be able to do while not interacting with each other? How does the extreme magical power manifest? How tied to the mana/creature/sorcery/instant mechanics of MTG will it be? What do you mean by "Actions every 200 years (20-40turns)"? Will each turn span 200 years, and you intend for the game to last 20-40 turns? Or the game lasts 200 years, with 20-40 5-10 year turns within? Will players be limited to established MTG planeswalkers, or able to develop their own characters? If planestorm allows players to interact, but they are powerless in other planes, what is the incentive to venture to other planes (or are they forced into others?)?

As far as conceptualizing an ending....
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 pm

200 years is the time between turns, approximately. 30-40 turns,

The turns give you two actions, usable on either Actions (Speaking or casting destructive or transformative magic) or Creation.
(land features, 1 kind of humanoid/magic being, any amount of wildlife, 1 monster/hero type person, 1 powerful magic artifact)

The planestorms would occur between turns, during the 200 year time period, but there will be a warning of like 5 turns.

Players should use original characters, backstory fairly essential. (not accepting them yet)

The planeswalkers thus do not move to other planes, the lack of power being mostly a handwave.

The magic system of magic is only used as a framing device for the narration to describe how the planeswalkers affect their planes.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Honestly, this sounds like a better story than game. The mechanics just don't seem to be that solid and too up in the air for me. It also seems more of a sandbox game which just doesn't appeal to me, particularly in a forum setting.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:00 am

It is a sandbox game, yes. The plot of the thing basically has to emerge from the actions of the players.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:24 am

This sounds similar to a game that LAYF ran, called "Gods of the world"...something like that.. I think this type of game has been run before in this forum..a few times. something similar at least.