Potential: Sign-ups Closed

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Potential: Sign-ups Open

Post by nikohl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Quarg isn't in, we had a quick chat and the game wasn't what he was expecting, so at this stage he's not planning on submitting a character; I assume if Badge wanted in he would have at least placeholdered, and Moose doesn't normally join in (not to say he's unwelcome, but it would be a surprise)

I'm leaving it open just in case people who really wanted a chance to play have been away, and if anyone else who has expressed interest elsewhere pops in (e.g. Dlover) as it's only just been 24 hours. But really, if anyone else does pop in and bump the numbers above 10, I'm going to have to do a roll-off, otherwise I think the quality of the game going forward might suffer.

I just want to get started on making the bulk of the characters and sending them out so that my workload is spread out a bit. If some of those character concepts end up being in a waiting list, so be it. If I get really scarily loads of people suddenly spring up overnight (unlikely) I'll look at splitting it down into two, but I don't really wanna do that.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:49 pm

I totally agree with spider - set a limit on numbers now and then just either roll randomly after a time limit or choose the folk you want to have as players. If you're sure 10 is manageable then go with that, but no-one will be offended if you need to take fewer players if they lose out fairly (e.g. by a dice-roll). Disappointed maybe, but you can always add more players later if you decide you're doing ok with the starting crew :)

EDIT: My dog nosed the keyboard and posted when I wasn't done...

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:37 pm

As much as I'd love to play, I find these games tend to take up a lot of time and they're simply more of a time investment than I can make right now. That said, this game does look awesome! Best of luck to everyone!
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm working my way down the list. So far, Thinks, Chuck, Lin, Theis, Wears and Spider have received character drafts from me. Everyone who has applied so far will get a draft. I am going to bed now though, and I have friends round all day tomorrow, so I might be a bit quiet during tomorrow daytime. Saturday is going to be Moar Character Writin' Day, unless my friends get bored and go home early, at which point... tomorrow will be too?

Applications are still open and very much welcomed, but as any more will officially be breaching the 10 mark, there will have to be dice rolls involved for places, with people who lose out going onto a waiting list. I was really thinking 8 would be my max, you know :P But, I genuinely think that once the initial bit is done and we're up and running, more people could join with relative ease, so I don't think that a waiting list would even last very long time-wise. So, you know... feel free to apply and take a roll o'the die, it's likely that everyone will get to play at some point soon no matter what the result.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I really would love to play in a game you GM, nikol, but I fear i just don't have the time. Loved you past games!
:zzz:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:18 pm

... So I felt like something was familiar about this, but I've just realised. It's Log Horizon. The setting is Log Horizon.

Still working through reading all the posts, but my own character:
Name: Lance Johnson.
Colour: BF00BF
Description: Lance is a young man, barely scratching his twentieth birthday. Standing only slightly above average height, there looks to be no muscle on his body whatsoever, and his skin is so pale as to suggest he rarely sees the outside world, which serves to enhance the darkness of his hair, seeming to be black when he is out of the sun, but strong light reveals it to be a dark, chocolate brown, while the rough stubble of a beard and mustache shows their brown colour more clearly. His deep blue eyes, interlaced with flecks of lighter blue, bears dark bags beneath them, indicating a lack of sleep that doesn't seem to touch him anywhere beyond the eyes. If one were to examine him closely, they would notice a few small purple scars on his cheeks, which, if questioned, he would reveal to be the result of illnesses. Beyond those few minor scars, though, his body shows no signs of ever having been seriously injured. His nose is straight, there are no other scars on his body, and he walks smoothly, though at times, most often when concentrating on a task, his hands often begin to shake, making precision rather difficult.
History: Lance was always an academically minded person. He spent all of his life to this point learning, focusing on education over sports. To this point, he never found any employment, nor did he intend to until he had finished learning, instead being supported by his wealthy family. His studies brought about a great appreciation for mathematics, overcome only by one thing; Animals. Dogs and horses, specifically. Such creatures where almost like family to him, and he often preferred their quiet companionship over that of boisterous humans, though he found he had no trouble in resolving conflicts through words rather than action.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Dlover on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm interested too, but I've accidentally left it too late and I think 10 would be plenty enough for a game so I may need to miss out especially as I've come in last :( I think 14 would be near impossible.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:41 am

You're welcome to apply, Synch. There will be dice rolls, though, but I can operate a waiting list for the few unlucky ones.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:32 am

Heck, if you don't want to displace people who got in early, you could opt to just go straight to the waiting list.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 am

I can't do much today as I have friends round, so sign ups are open til the end of today (my time), when I will then do a final tally and figure out what's what.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:58 am

I'm all for this game...I just can't figure out a good character for it that is non-repetitive (in my judgement) of any currently there...
>:?
And Quarg in D+D is sort of a non-starter for me...

So I am hearby the Audience...(and possibly occ color commentator) ;)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:03 am

Just because I like using the same colour when possible on this forum and I personally find it easier to spot what is being said to one another when you colour the speaking I'm going to claim this colour!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:21 am

I claim mine color as well asks green

quarg, just be a super spy :p
Last edited by askstoomuch on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 am

askstoomuch wrote:I claim mine color as well asks green

quarg, just be XXXXXXXXXXXX the super spy :p
No...and please remove my name from this side of the security fence...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:39 am

Color. Since we seem to be doing that.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:46 am

I like teal (#008080)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:57 am

I usually don't bother posting in color, especially since I seem to be visiting the boards more regularly from my phone these days than an actual computer, but my preference is generally blue.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:34 am

Blast, teal is gone! :P

I choose orange ;)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:38 am

Q: repetitive starting concept is not an issue, as I will chew up what you give me and spit something different back at you, and you all have limitless potential so your skills and powers will overlap in the future anyway. I wouldn't worry about that; if you want to play, and you don't want to do the "this is me" thing, throw your hat in. No one's going to go "wah you're too close to my concept :(", and if they do I shall scowl at them for being a big baby.

In other news, chaps and chap-esses, since we're hovering around the 12+ish player mark, how do you feel about two groups of +/-6 players, running in two separate threads? That way no one gets left out, and I don't get swamped. It would be easier for me to administrate, since I can stagger updates on separate days if necessary and not have to juggle twelve plus people all clamouring to do things at once.

And, you can all be in the same world, in fact very close to each other... Meaning that soon (in-game soon...irl maybe several months), those two groups can collide, recognise one another as in the same situation, and potentially even merge into one big group, opening up another surge of new roleplaying possibilities. Once the initial starting period of "We need to get this! We have to go here! What's going on!" is over, the administrative side would be easier for me, as you guys are settled in with the rules and concepts and so am I, so this merge or crossover could occur with less stress all round - even if it's not a guaranteed thing, it's something that can be planned for/aimed towards, with two fun games that everyone gets to participate in in the meantime. Thoughts?

(Just checking in between boardgames, I'm off again now though. Re: colours, I'll try and remember them - edit your choice into your original character post if you can, so I can find it later.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 am

Two groups is cool with me.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:44 am

I'll take my typical #800000

That sounds like a good plan Nikohl. Two thread is probably just as much work just not as confusing. Also, I've never played in one of your games but you seem popular. Is there something about you I should know?
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:45 am

I got tits? I dunno.

Infectious enthusiasm, maybe.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 am

ASKS STOLE MY SHADE OF GREEN!!!! /tempted to abuse mod powers to change it /resists.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:09 am

nikohl wrote:I got tits? I dunno.

Infectious enthusiasm, maybe.
A sense of humor?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:26 am

Name: Remy Rubideaux AKA 'Dr Crossbones'
Text colour: #808080
Profession: Voodoo Witch Doctor / Apothecary
Description: A Louisiana Creole of mixed French/African origin, Remy is approx 6'0", slim and has olive skin with black hair and piercing grey eyes. He typically dresses in smart old-fashioned clothes such as a long-sleeved shirt, waistcoat and bolo tie with a top hat that has a white crow feather sticking out of it. He has ear piercings and a nose piercing, and frequently wears skull facepaint to Voodoo gatherings and mardi gras.
► Show Spoiler
Background: The son of a famous Voodoo Queen, Remy's upbringing was fully immersed in the New Orleans Voodoo culture. He was an avid student of Black Magic, learning from his mother the arts of curses, cure-alls, seances, and apparently even the raising of the dead. He took over his mother's Apothecary and Voodoo paraphernalia shop upon her passing, and runs that by day while leading a small and secretive 'congregation' at night. He claims he is guided by the spirit of his mother, who helps him channel spirits from the afterlife and speak to the dead.
D&D applicable skills: Herbalism/Potions, Necromancy, Spells/Curses
D&D type class: Witch Doctor
► Show Spoiler