Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Re: Potential: Sign-ups Open

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I'll keep it in mind, then. Thanks for the pointer.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:14 pm

If we're playing ourselves, it would be kind of weird not to recognize each other. Since you're giving our memories the swiss cheese effect, it makes sense that we might not know exactly how we know each other.

I think it depends on how much we do know and remember. And that's something we're going to need clarified in order to properly roleplay it. But if it's dropped in another world, don't know what happened, missing large portions of our knowledge and memory, but we somehow recognize that certain others are in the same boat, it would make sense that we'd remember them.

As for the intro RP post... I'd go along with it. Find a way to say something. But if we're not getting zapped out of London, most of my days could probably out-mundane Dlover's. (Heck, I don't even have a dog anymore...)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm not willing to play that true to my actual self that I'd remember any of you. :shrug: So I'm not playing myself... just a character that's sort of a lot like me. Less family connection, probably, so I don't have to RP anguish over 'losing' my wife/family/friends/pets. That just doesn't sound fun to me... and there are all those cosmic powers just waiting to be discovered.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 pm

It's okay dlover, we can pet the hell puppies together with your canine soothing powers and my knack to ease the situation.

Maybe it is just me but i am thinking it akin to Dib and the pigs. Or at least the end of the episode when Dib became normal Dib again. "Have i always been this way? Yes yes i have!"

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm not saying you have to, Spider. I've never met you in person. But Lin wanted the London group together, and Nikohl wasn't sure how to make it work in character. We spent a lot of time together that week. Up to the GM, but my point is that it's workable. Just have to take our cues from Dr. Beckett. And figure out with the GM just how much we do and don't remember of our lives in this world.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I'm not willing to play that true to my actual self that I'd remember any of you. :shrug: So I'm not playing myself... just a character that's sort of a lot like me. Less family connection, probably, so I don't have to RP anguish over 'losing' my wife/family/friends/pets. That just doesn't sound fun to me... and there are all those cosmic powers just waiting to be discovered.
This, actually. I am expecting a fair bit of initial confusion and anger and fear, because who wouldn't be freaked out? But when I opened sign ups, I was also expecting everyone to submit normal characters, which would have avoided all this. I'm loving this "it's basically me!" thing that happened instead for a lot of you guys, but that does mean you all are going to be doing some quite heavyweight method acting roleplay when 'you' get ripped from your lives. That might be a bit much for lots of us. Not to mention I still have the 'knowing people; but why!' dilemma.

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that you'd submitted 'characters based on yourselves' as far as appearance, profession and personality, but who are in fact still characters, not your actual selves - no more or less rounded or realistic than, e.g., a Child of Ash, a mindwiped Spark, a Raptor at Heart, or even a Goblin Adventurer. I think that might be easier for everyone to parse and also easier for you (and me) to handle shit happening to.

So, as long as there are no huge objections, I'd like to rule that my assumption in the above paragraph actually now be the case. Thus, friendships and prior knowledge of other PCs is sadly nonexistent, since those characters probably don't spend time on Goblins Forum and probably didn't do meetups or play forum games, or if they did, it wasn't with each other. You will become firm friends in-game soon enough, I'm sure.

(Obviously this doesn't affect the people whose characters are fully 'made up')

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:22 am

This is why I made a witch doctor. No idea how to adequately roleplay 'myself' :lol: Like that movie Being John Malkovich, just too wierd.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:31 am

I think I could do it, and I'm pretty sure everyone here could do it, you're all amazing roleplayers because I've seen you all play before. You guys rock. Also, I rock. I just don't necessarily want to put that shit on you. I wanted this to be a fun game where you all get to discover amazing powers after a rocky start, rather than
► Show Spoiler
Hell, if some people want to do that, I can look at running something darker at a later date, that is specifically "this is you, the real you, right now, in a situation that you didn't think you'd ever be in" - that could be crazy levels of fun. It's just not what I had in mind for this.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 am

No, no. I'm here to have fun. And what you say makes sense. All I was proposing was a vague recognition. But if that doesn't work for you, that's cool.

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 am

Awwww sorry for starting a bit of a debate on you nikohl!! To be fair - I'd said it while chatting with you on fb and I don't think I'd said it here!! :P

Are we going to somehow know that the other PCs are in similar situations to ourselves? Cause that I think is going to be a hard one to work out!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:42 am

We'll probably be able to look for people panicking and freaking out about being in another world. :P No matter how level headed, that sort of sudden change is going to shake you.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:59 am

I'm definitely going to clarify it in both game threads at the start so you all know, but I might as well say it here so you don't all worry - yes, you will recognise each other as being in the same boat. Not only because of what Dlover said, but also because of a visual effect. Anyone who has Potential (i.e. who has been merged) can see around themselves a faint, bright glow, and they look a little more "real", as if the saturation is turned up a little bit more on them than everything else there: they can also see this same effect on everyone else who is in the same boat. The normals don't have this glow, and don't appear to be able to see it on you.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 am

Ah, that'll make it easier. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 am

... I am my own nightlight! Put my hand on the page, and I can read no matter how dark! :P
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 am

Sadly not that much of a glow. It's more like a "You have selected this party member!" videogame outline. :P

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 am

Double post, sorry. Groups are now finalised. 1 and 2 does not signify priority or anything, they're just easy to refer to with numbers as well as the name of the starting village, especially since you'll likely leave said villages rather quickly.

Group 1, starting in 'Childarin Cove', a tiny fishing and crop-farming village by the coast.
Thinks
Lin
Theis
Wears
Asks
Jib
Burns

Group 2, starting in 'Coran Pass', a hamlet that has grown up around a large cattle farm.

Chuck
Spider
Gathers
Alaen
Dlover
Synch
Quarg

--

I'll make the threads so you guys can get started on your pre-game posting if you want to, but I'm just going to reserve the first few posts and leave them mostly blank for now, as it's real-life RP night for me starting shortly. Threads are up. If you aren't intending to do any pre-game posting as your 2015 person, that's absolutely fine (e.g. Gathers is ill so I wouldn't expect her to be able to even though she might like to), but if you get a chance, just let me know here or by PM that you won't be, so that I don't "wait for it". Those who do some pre-game, I will try and incorporate the last things that your 2015 people were doing or some last sparks of memory into your final character's wake-up post, just for extra flavour.
Last edited by nikohl on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated info about game threads

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:09 am

Awesome! I haven't quite figured out what day I'll be RPing as yet, but I'll post something before we turn into our D&D selves. I was also fully intending to RP someone who is "a bit like me but not" so no worries there. I fully intend to remain in this particular reality :)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Weeeeeellll.... I know I said Wednesday would be when the starting posts were up, but I'm still super tired and sore from my gardening yesterday and I took a really long bath and now I'm behind schedule. :>

Short-form character sheets are up, rule details are up, setting details are up (in each thread - rules and so on are obviously duplicates of each other) - so feel free to go and have a nosey at who everyone is and what stuff they appear to have, if you want to. Rules are basically stolen directly from Spider, with his permission, so you should all be at least vaguely familiar with them because they've existed on the forum for ages now.

I will make the first post tomorrow because I'm tired and if I try and do it now it'll be sub-par.

Secondary teaser: There is one extra hidden thing I haven't told each of you about your character. Most of what your characters got from your Hosts you are aware of, because they're thinking about them - people are innately conscious of what stuff they own, I guess, and you got their skills via muscle memory and repetition. But sneaky ol' me stuck an extra thing in there that represents something your hosts didn't sit at home in their underpants thinking about, and that as such you didn't pick up on when you landed in their brain. (Or maybe that they didn't even know about themselves, in a couple of cases.) This isn't a super extra skill or power, it's just a fluffy extra for you guys to discover about your new selves. None of them are negative, all are at least a little bit helpful, but they're not "wow!" either. Some will become apparent (much) earlier than others, because each have a different 'discovery condition' - I hope that those of you who don't see a little "Ta Da! You found your thing!" early on won't be too disappointed. It's just an easter egg, really.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Oooooh I'm excited for that!

And yes, I will be terribly disappointed if I don't stumble on my easter egg. :P
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Yep I'm going to drive myself nuts try to discover it. If only I hadn't known I would have been fine.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:08 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:Yep I'm going to drive myself nuts try to discover it. If only I hadn't known I would have been fine.
Still haven't found mine in SCH :(
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Hey Alaen just found August's, and he's been trapped down there for over a year!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:53 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Hey Alaen just found August's, and he's been trapped down there for over a year!
AKA 3 days :lol:
► Show Spoiler