Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Post by Nioca » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 am

M0rtimer wrote:Honestly, I was mostly asking since I was wondering if you were going for an aura user build after all,
I am, actually. Aura Guardian/Mentor to start, with Ace Trainer to follow shortly. (Other than that, I'm still not sure what his other classes will be. Aura Guardian already can burn a lot of AP rather easily, and I'd want a fourth class to have stat tags; otherwise, stats start lagging a bit. Touched might serve that role if legendaries come into play; otherwise, maybe Disciple or Soldier?)

If you're uncomfortable with Riolu, though, I can look into other pokemon.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 am

Oh no, it's fine- I was a bit adverse to non aura guardian, but Riolu is too much of a good fit with aura guardian to deny. A Riolu is fine.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

I still don't have access to any of the pdf's, so I've no idea what classes I'll end up going for. However, I feel like I should point out something, for those of you who haven't realized it.

None of the Blessed and Damned "classes" actually count as classes. At least, not the same way other classes do. None of them have the [Class] tag, meaning they don't count towards the four/five class limit. So you can take them as a sixth, seventh, or even eighth class, provided you meet the requirements for all of them (and Mort allows it). This was done intentionally by the devs, since they realized that most wouldn't get access to them until very late in a game, and they didn't want people saving their forth class spot for something so reliant on GM permissions, that that might never even qualify for.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:51 am

Spreadsheet has an error: Feint is listed as a DB 3 Physical move, when it's in fact a non-damaging status move.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 am

Huh, you're right. I was under the impression that the touched edges/features didn't take a class, but anything after that did. I think it might be a good thing though, not having to force any of you to keep free a class... Though I probably would restrict you guys to picking only one of the classes in that case (which seems to be the intention, anyways)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Guess I should get around to posting my character as well. Not sure about the influence the legendaries are going to have nor how I should react to it so it's blank for now :P

Name: Drake
Age/Sex: 19/male
General character idea/Introduction: A capturer/hatcher who decided to go all in to become a trainer when he found a gastly egg in the wilds
Starter: Gastly
Preferred legendaries: (Not sure)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Which pair works better of the four classes: Survivalist, Enduring Soul, Rider, Roughneck?

I've made a Survivalist / Enduring Soul with an aim to head for Rider, which I think works well for the background of my character and they rely on similar skills, but I figure Survivalist is the least beneficial of the 4 and only really works if we head to the tundra part. So I'm wondering if I should make an Enduring Soul / Rider to be of more use combat-wise.

Having never played any PTA I don't know which classes are most effective or not, so any help would be great :)
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Now, I don't think I'm going to do much with The Blessed and the Damned, but I have been going through it, and I had a thought. How would things work out if somebody is Marked, then someone comes along and usurps the legendary that the deal was made with? Do they then hold the contract? That would certainly be an interesting way to get free of the contract. "You want my soul? Meet my friend, he's going to be you in a moment." >:-P
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 am

Besides Tundra, there's also a desert that could take several days to cross, (assuming you don't have transport of some kind) and if you're ever going to be visiting the side islands you could be finding yourself without proper civilization for days on an end in woodlands or tropical forests. (As well as various other biomes)

However, for the immediate future you guys will be on relatively safe grounds. There are some potential caves to explore, though.

Regardless, you'd encounter every terrain sooner or later, so you could pick the ones you'd like most for the class.

As for what is best pick... Honestly, the classes are pretty balanced- It's just that each one has it's different strengths, and the best thing you can do is have a general idea of what you'd like your character to do and go from there. So you could go for the more beneficial in harsher areas with survivalist, or more combat utility with taking up rider instead. Honestly, it's a decision I can't really make for you.

Anyways, that's all for me, I'll be leaving till the 6th. Might be able to post on phone from time to time, but don't count on it. Be seeing ya guys then, and hope we'll be able to start off! :)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:14 am

Name: Elias Akasha Velori (Character Sheet)
Age/Sex: 19 / Male
General character idea/Introduction: A kid from a fairly wealthy family, Elias was gifted early in life with the power to see Aura, and uses that to bond with his pokemon.
Classes: Aura Guardian / Mentor / Ace Trainer
Starter: Stelour the Riolu (Pedigree & Shininess Starter Bonuses)
Preferred Legendaries: Vicinti, Cresselia, The Swords of Justice (Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo)

I'm still working on the biographic details. Also, I may tweak some of the mechanical details before game start. But this is basically what Elias looks like as of now.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 am

Name: Mike Smith AKA Phoenix Character Sheet
Age/Sex: 21/M
General character idea/Introduction: After running away from home at age 10, Phoenix found his way to the Trinity Iles. After living on the streets for most of his life he wants the money, power and fame of a Pok├®mon Master to make sure he and his Growlithe are never hungry again.
Starter: Growlithe
Preferred legendaries: Mewtwo and Jirachi.

Finally got it done. Can you guys look over it and make sure I didn't make any mistakes?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixin url
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:53 am

What class is focused training in?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 am

None. It's one of the General Pokemon training features. Pages 48 and 49.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:02 am

I was able to find an online copy of the core, non-supernatural classes, and I'm thinking some kind of Musician/Flying Type Ace? Rider and Speed Ace are both possibilities for the next few classes (because super-fast flying mounts :P ), but I'm also interested in the Flying Elementalist class. Problem is, I can't remember what it can actually do, and won't have access to that info until Monday :roll:

But anyway, the core idea of the character (airhead musician) probably isn't going to change, so I thought I might as well let you all know what I had planned.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:20 am

Okay, Wind Runner grants you levitate, you can see with wind (sounds pretty cool actually), gain fly speed, and some moves.

If you want to fly as a non pokemorph, this seems to be the class to do it

Also mort, one of glamour weaver features calls for miracle heart arpeggio, but there is no such thing. I assume it means fey law

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 am

Dusk, here's the Wind Runner class. Hope this helps!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:51 pm

No problem. Like I said, I'll only be home tuesday night and probably wont update till the day after. So ypuve got time to get your sheet in order. In fact I think that besides you, Synch and Don I already hsve a sheet for everyone?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks guys! That's great :)

Yeah, Wind Runner is definitely my third class then. Those Stat bonus are especially nice too, since I'm aiming for a speedy character. And that just leaves Rider and Speed Ace as my fourth and fifth choices. Maybe. It'll probably change a few times as the character develops :roll:

I've got one more question, though. If you guys don't mind. What do Gale Wings and Celebrate do again?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Is it too late to express interest in this game? :chuckle: It's fine if I can't, since I'm late to the party. I'll just leave this here either way.

Name: Koa (Character Sheet)
Age/Sex: 19/Male
General character idea/Introduction: Pacific Islander-inspired character. His grandparents immigrated from one of the smaller, volcanically-active islands, and he shares his family's affinity for Fire and Rock, though the males can only actually use the Rock side-of-things. Likes to cook.
Starter: Magby, helps out in the kitchen. (Inheritance, Pedigree)
Preferred legendaries: Groudon the most, Heatran second (I won't have Fire Bringer anymore, but these still make the most sense for the character)

I was thinking of going Stone Warrior/Chef/Martial Artist/??? Mostly combat focused, but can provide snacks to the party. :P And I don't know what other class he could be, since I can only have one Elementalist class.

EDIT: made some changes.

For Dusk:

Celebrate
At-Will ÔÇô Free Action
Trigger: The user causes a foe to Faint by using a
damaging attack
Effect: The user may immediately take an additional
Shift Action to move as if they were Slowed. This Ability
may only be activated if the user is not prevented from
shifting.

Gale Wings
Static
Effect: The user may use Flying-Type Moves as if they
have the Priority keyword.

So, ya'know, Gale Wings is the only sensible choice here. :roll:
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Vader, you can only have one elemental connection. You have to choose fire or rock.

Oh mort, I forgot to ask a very important question.

Will there be...

Mega Stunfisk.

:P

Seriously though, will there be alternate megas?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Oh. Yeah, it says you can only take one elementalist class... why is that? But there goes my character concept out the window :grumble: Have to think of something else to do, I guess.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Think about it. One person with 5 elementalist classes.

They are way too powerful to allow one to take more than once.

EDIT (this is actually important)
Is the inheritence list part of a different list entirely than the standard 6 move selection?

Also I decided to change my starter to a joltic due to my lack of ability to resist it's adorablness and also the fact that it fits much better with the whole able to talk to bugs thing going on.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:What class is focused training in?
It's one of the Training feats needed for Ace Trainer. Now I can pick it up next level.
SuperVaderMan wrote:So, ya'know, Gale Wings is the only sensible choice here. :roll:
Celebrate is pretty cool, but Gale Wings is definitely the more powerful option.

I have a feeling that Nioca and I will have problems in this game too. It would be nice to be friends with him for once.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I think I might have to pull out sorry M0rtimer, a bit too much info for me to take in all at once, and I don't want to hold the others up. I'm already in a few games at the moment already so I think it best if I don't start this one.
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:02 am

SuperVaderMan wrote:
For Dusk:

Celebrate
At-Will ÔÇô Free Action
Trigger: The user causes a foe to Faint by using a
damaging attack
Effect: The user may immediately take an additional
Shift Action to move as if they were Slowed. This Ability
may only be activated if the user is not prevented from
shifting.

Gale Wings
Static
Effect: The user may use Flying-Type Moves as if they
have the Priority keyword.

So, ya'know, Gale Wings is the only sensible choice here. :roll:
Hmm...maybe, maybe not.
By the time I reach that point, my character is going to have a crapton of speed (from stat tags and so on), which means they'll probably be the fastest thing around. So Priority attacks are only going to be useful against other Priority attackers, since you can't use them if you've already acted, and very few things will act before them. Not to mention that my Muscian moves won't benefit from it at all. Whereas bonus movement from Celebrate would be very powerful when combined with a high Sky Speed, since I'd be able to fly in, KO someone, and fly out of range of their allies on the same turn, before they can even react.

I'll probably still go for Gale Wings, but the choice is harder than you might think.....