Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:16 pm

This is the recruitment thread for the Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles, the introduction of which you can find here. In this thread I'll be taking care of recruitment, explain a few things, and of course answer any questions you guys might have... But with that being said, let's start the actual introduction.

What is this?
This is pokemon tabletop United- A tabletop based around the pokemon universe, PTU itself being based on Stark's pokemon tabletop adventures. You can find a link to a download with a zip containing all the information (such as the core book, as well as expansion books) here.

If you're unfamiliar with the system, I'd advice to at least read the core book so that you may get a basic gist. Of course, if you don't like pokemon (or declared it dead after the first generation) this game is probably not for you. :roll:

The region
The game takes place in the Trinity Isles region (a self-created region)- So named after the large center island, "Trinity Island"- Which in turn gets it's name due to the fact that it is split up into three distinct parts by a massive mountain range- Restricting travel between the island's regions mostly to either boat or flight. Several other, smaller island surround Trinity Island, some inhabited, a few even housing gyms, but many abandoned besides wild pokemon life- Though without a doubt, the most interesting off all is Trinity Island itself.

There is the North-Western part- The majority of this part being elevated on a high plateau, covered in snow and ice, it is certainly the least hospitable region of the three. Still, people live here, though mostly sticking to the shore- Serving as fisherman and industry.
There is the North-Eastern part. Here, poor soil has turned most of the land in rocky slopes, and desert, though a few forests manage to prevail. This region mostly thrives in it's mining industry.
And finally, there is the Southern part- A part rich in flora, and housing the majority of the people living on the island- As well, near the base of where the mountain ranges meet, and a central point between all other cities, the capital- Isosceles city. Where this adventure will begin...

As a player, you will be partaking in the "tournament"- An event the league hosts bi-yearly, in which youngsters are given a few pokemon and allowed to demonstrate their worth by partaking in a few practice battles. The winners are then given a trainer card, allowing them to raise pokemon, as well as participate in battles and all that that entails.

Naturally, as a player you will be exiting the tournament with a trainer card, and a starter- While some of the exact details you'll have to wait and see, the starter will essentially be either one of the three pokemon you are given for the duration of the event (The other two returned afterwards) OR one of your own pokemon. (People are allowed to own one pokemon as a pet/protector even without a trainer card, though are obviously not allowed to battle with them.)
There is not much difference in which of the two would be the case for your character besides fluff, and the latter being a prerequisite if you'd want to take kinmansship as one of the two starter traits. But I'm getting ahead of myself here, I'll talk about that in a bit.

Classes
We will of course be using all the core classes, as well as any of the other main expansion books. (game of throhs, do porygon dream of mareep, the blessed and the damned) The one exception to this is the upgrader class, which I think is a bit too high-tech for the setting of the campaign. (Most of the other do porygon dream of mareep classes would also be more experimental rather than everyday things, though they would probably exist.)

And yes, the blessed and Damned DOES mean that I will be including legendaries in the game, and hence that you can take any of those features (Except Usurper probably)

Note a few things here, however! Firstly, while I am including legendaries in the game, this doesn't mean I'm going to start by throwing them at you- If you're interested in taking up one of the classes, you'd probably best be prepared to wait for a while.

Secondly, notice the gifts your legendary would give you. Firstly to make sure that they'd fit your character and secondly because if it's a feature that I consider too powerful (such as Victini's V-create, to quote an extreme example) I will almost definitely replace it with something else. If you're interested in a legendary and are in doubt whether this'd might apply, ask.

Finally one of the things I am asking for character creation are some of the legendaries you'd like to ally with (assuming you even have any interest in them- Do note that you can get some benefits of them even without taking up a class!) for the express purpose that I'd know what your character would like. With that being said, if you'd give me only Arceus, it's not going to be my fault if you'll never find a legendary to ally with. Hence that I'd recommend taking at least one "lesser" legendary.

Oh and finally, I will be allowing homebrew, with my express permission.

Homebrew stuff
It should be noted that I'll be doing a few homebrew things, be it to make the game "fit" better in a forum format or just small things which I think might be interesting, most of which we'll go along as the game progresses. Though don't worry, once we'll create an OOC thread, I'll try to keep all this information compiled there.

There is one major change though that I will share now- I've made some changes to the injury system, mostly pertaining to pokemon.

Pokemon are now more durable and do not take an injury at hitting the 50% mark- They do still take injuries for being knocked out, every 50% after that, and taking massive damage. This only applies to pokemon, not trainers or npc's.

Secondly, from three injuries and more you now take a -1 combat stage penalty in a random stat per injury. Healing this injury removes this effect. Additionally, the regular "heavily injured" is backed up to taking place once you have 6 injuries or more. This applies to both trainers and pokemon.

Keep in mind that this is just a test, and I reserve the right to change it any moment. I reserve that right for all rules of course, but these two especially, be it for better or worse.

TLDR, how do I sign up already
Firstly, you should probably read what I wrote, there's some important stuff in there. :P

On a serious note, there is no need to fill in an entire character sheet yet (Mostly because I'm still unsure how I am going to decide who gets to play and who doesn't, unless there's a manageable amount of applicants)- Though I know some of you won't be able to resist, so here is the google doc template we'll be using for the campaign. Made by a bunch of awesome people I can't be bothered to remind myself of right now.

Regardless, what I'd ask (at least) is the following:
Name:
Age/Sex:
General character idea/Introduction:
Starter:
Preferred legendaries:

As I've already explained legendaries above, a bit more about starters. Your starter will start at level 10, and has an ability and nature of your choice. Additionally, to make your pokemon stand out from the crowd, you may give your starter two starter traits, provided by the wonderful Nioca. I am being a bit rude here by assuming he'd be fine with it rather than asking first, but I only realized that's something I probably should do when I already wrote all this... So sorry Nioca, hope you don't mind!
► Show Spoiler
Obviously, legendaries, semi-legendary's/rare's or some specific pokemon (mostly referring to some steel or ghost types) are not allowed as starter.

And that's the main gist of it! As for how I'm eventually going to pick who's going to play... Well, as I said, I'm not sure yet.

My original idea was to actually have players compete in the tournament, the losers falling off. Then I realized that would probably be a bit unfair, a lot of it being dependant on luck, not to mention the fact it could form eternal rivalries amongst the players that fought each other. Or that it'd be a bit of a douche move to get to "play" your character for a bit only to get kicked out upon losing. :roll:

So... I guess we'll see how I'll do it. I might just be biased and take the characters I'd find most interesting. Or go to the old classic dice-rolling to decide.

With that being said, sign-ups will run until at least the sixth- I'll be answering questions for the next few days, but am going on a five day trip from the 1st to the 5th- Whether I can close sign-ups then or if there's other matters to be discussed we'll have to see then.

I think I finally got through with everything I wanted to say though so... Any questions?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 pm

You know i am in. And shenanigans i plan on doing.

Name: James Zora
Starter: Butterfree Flabebe
Potential Legendary Ally: Shaymin, Celebie, Mew, Diance
Background: He volenteered for an experimental procedure, which coul potientally increase one's potential, and to unlock one's inner pokemon. He never thought that his inner pokemon would be a caterpie. At oeast he is trying to make thebest of it.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Oh, one small final detail that I almost forgot... Concerning legendaries.

For many of the legendaries, I'll be following what is described in the blessed and damned. However, for many others they will play a far different role in this "alternate universe".

If that's the case, you'll probably find out in the long run. Case in point though... Don't make assumptions. :roll:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Is this restricted to people who have played a PTG before? I have absolutely no experience with it, having only played Pokemon video games.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I'll sign up, yeah. I have something of an idea as to how PTU works from watching Dusk's game on LSN's forum. I do have one question, though: Would a character be viable if he were blind? Not Ian-blind, but actual blind-blind. Could that work out in the least? He would certainly have a seeing eye pokemon (If that's not a term that would be common in other places... basically a guide dog? Is that a commonly used term? It's a pet that's been trained to guide a blind person around and help them with many tasks.)

Anyway, for now:

Name: Alex Sparo
Age/Sex: 16/male
General character idea/Introduction: Alex is a rather wary person, though he is not the kind who thinks he doesn't need help, at times. From birth he had trouble seeing, and has often had to rely on others, most often on his pokemon, a Timburr, which has been with him for as long as he can remember. Due to his particular disposition, Alex has never been much of an athlete or acrobat, preferring to take things easy on the solid ground, though he is capable of swimming just well enough to keep his head above the water. Despite his flaws, though, Alex is by no means useless. He has learned how to turn his weakness into a strength, using it to manipulate people, and convince them to aid him, at the same time picking up one peculiar changes to a person's voice when they are trying to do the same.
Starter: Impish Timburr, with Guts, Kinsmanship, and Inheritance (Drain Punch, Force Palm).
Preferred legendaries: Entei, Raikou, Suicune
Last edited by Dlover on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Absolutely not. With that being said, I do expect you to read through the core book until you at least understand the core mechanics concerning edges, features, class creation and how combat works. Which is quite a hefty read, but it's actually surprisingly easy once you get the mechanic behind it.

But that asides, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

And now Dlover posted, it occurs to me that linking you to a PTU game might be a good idea- You can learn a lot just from watching. Here is Dusk9's game, over on the WSWFG forums (Game is awesome. Dusk is awesome. Totally not saying this so he gives my character all the loot):
http://willsaveworldforgold.com/forum/v ... ?f=5&t=189

As for your question Dlover... I guess you could, but you'd be putting yourself in quite a massive disadvantage for no particular reason by doing that. But one thing that you might consider is taking a psychic mon which could help? Then you'd still be at risk of that mon being knocked out, of course, but if you were to go psychic yourself we could probably "handwave" the blindness a bit in that your own telepathy helps you around.

Otherwise, I might think it's realistically a bit too big of a detriment to be feasible, or for me to even allow.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Hmm... Yeah, being totally blind is a bit much with out telepathy, and I think I'd rather not be supernatural for this one. Could cut it back to just being vision impaired, rather than outright blind... Yeah, that sounds like it could work.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

M0rtimer wrote:Absolutely not. With that being said, I do expect you to read through the core book until you at least understand the core mechanics concerning edges, features, class creation and how combat works. Which is quite a hefty read, but it's actually surprisingly easy once you get the mechanic behind it.
Yeah sure, let me just download it.... and have a looksee and..... - FOUR HUNDRED AND SIXTY NINE PAGES?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WAS G.R.R.M THE AUTHOR?!
► Show Spoiler

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Don't worry 274-405 is references, and 406+ is gm stuff.

Name: Irene Dove
Age/Sex: 21/F
General character idea/Introduction: Warper/Dancer/Cheerleader/Underdog
Starter: Preferred Spinda second Surskit
Preferred legendaries: Mew, and any small enough and relatively friendly enough for her to pick up.

and I can totally resist, I just do it because I can :P

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 pm

I am Interested, but with Adjusting to work/laziness, it might be a bit for my character.
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm

I may not be able to do character planning, or even look at the available classes (because tablet computer), but you know I'm interested. I'll write something up once I've got access to a proper computer again (probably Monday :P )

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 pm

So...are we doing the whole extra feat point every 5 levels?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:13 am

Gah. I'm slamming into inspiration block; I don't want to do another supernaturally-influenced character, because all four PTx characters I've made are supernatural in one way or another (Grace is influenced by aura which hasn't manifested yet, Zyphirim's a PokeMutant, Soren's a Spark Master, and Sylvia is a Signer drawing on legendary power). I'm half-leaning toward a Mentor-ish build, but also half-leaning toward another Gunslinger-type character (I miss Grace. And Auri. :weep: ).

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 am

I'm interested, but the london trip starts around the time when you close the signup. So I kinda hope that won't interfere with starting :P
Character will come once I've attempted to read through the pdf.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:52 am

Yeah I'm interested once I get through the pdf also, bit daunting to know that all the other players are long-time PTA players though.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 am

PTA and PTU are pretty different. I've played PTA several times, but never PTU, and I have only a basic understanding, so you're not alone. We'll be terribly planned together. ^.^
Though I'm terrible at planning in things I understand perfectly anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. :P

Augh, I think I've narrowed down my starter to either a Timburr or a Sneasel, and I can't decide which. :gonk:
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 am

Yeah sure, let me just download it.... and have a looksee and..... - FOUR HUNDRED AND SIXTY NINE PAGES?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WAS G.R.R.M THE AUTHOR?!
George is secretely a huge pokemon fan, yeah.

Anyways, what Staron said- A large part of those pages doesn't need to be read and only serve as "look-up as required", and then an even smaller part are the actual mechanics- The large majority of pages are class descriptions, which are fun to read through. That was my experience at least. :roll:

And don't worry too much about that. Obviously those who were already into this are going to join again if they can, but I'm more than welcome to fresh blood as well. :)

So...are we doing the whole extra feat point every 5 levels?
Yup. Already included in the sheet's calculations.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

By the way, it's looking like we have 8 people interested currently, which is around my goal. One more person joining would be bearable, though I'm probably going to have to roll some dice if any more apply. We'll see. Signups stay open as stated, considering I'm gone from the 1st to the fifth.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 am

Alright, so I think I'm going to end up going for a Mentor. It's either that or Musician, I think.
I could go for quite a few of the supernatural classes, but I'd rather try something more natural.

So, without further ado, Alex Sparo.
I've set up the character as though the starter will be a Timburr, but I'm still a little conflicted about that. >:?
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 am

I maaaaay change my starter to flabebe, or another fairy type.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am

On another note, custom backgrounds are allowed as long as there's an equal amount of raising/lowering.

Pretty sure there's other stuff I'm missing, but there's another one. :roll:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm leaning towards a Survivalist / Enduring Soul / Rider (maybe Roughneck?) who grew up in the harsh North-West and has travelled south for the tournament. Thinking a Swinub as starter pokemon to match the environment.

Not too sure how to fill out the document though, there's so many rules and stats that it all seems a bit overwhelming to take in at once. Would that sort of character idea and starter work?
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Lets start off with skills. What do the first two classes want to take focus on? If multiple options, keep note because future classes might use one of the skills.

Most prominent skills should get increased in background. Some classes have edges you need that use a certian skill, so keep that in mind. After getting background bonuses sorted you probably do not want to mess with decreases until after getting features.

Next is important exges: edges whichyour classes require. Best to get them out of the way now. You can then either finish edges or come back after taking features.

Featues: take what three features you want.

Now put in background decreases i skills you feel like you will not use much or your character has not learned

Then put up stats as you want for you char, including mind, body, spirit.

Hope this helps

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Yup, thanks Arch.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 am

If you want, you can always share the document with me and then I can help you on your way.

But Burns is pretty much right. It's best to see what classes you'd like to take, and then take required edges for those, as well as skills. Do keep in mind that depending on how the class skills are laid out, you might want to focus on a few particular classes first before moving on.

On which note, that remembers me- We'll be doing it as the book says that you can take up a total of 4 classes- BUT when we eventually reach level 25, I'd allow a 5th class to be picked.

And some quick feedback on the classes you have selected... Not a bad selection at all. The fact that all classes you have selected start at novice makes it very feasible to pick up all classes on the long run. Only downside is that the large spread means that you'd probably need to focus a lot on raising those specific skills you'd need to progress. Survivalist grants some nice static benefits and a bit of active pokemon tutor support, enduring soul grants a lot of passive pokemon support, and rider again grants some passive and active pokemon support. Only thing you might think about is the fact that you don't really have anything your own character could do in battle, so maybe taking up roughneck is something to consider for that end.

Also, so you're aware- The way you all note down skill edges (an edge that raises a skill) is by filling in the name of the edge by edges, then marking what skills you have picked in the bottom left- Before manually raising or lowering the skill level to the left.

I've also been notified that apparently there's a small error with gastly's levitate on the sheet. Remember me to fix that for you guys once we round up signups. :P