Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 am

You guys start with 3000 money, though any stuff pokemon-wise you'll have to wait with for a while before you'll be able to purchase anything (no visiting a pokemart without a trainer card!)

Concerning starting items: You guys are allowed to take "fluff" items (AKA things that don't really do anything) as long as I allow it, and otherwise to buy stuff that isn't directly pokemon-related.

On which note, while I'd allow you guys to take a guitar/pole staff as "fluff", I'm not going to allow those to be used as weapons, considering their usual cost... However, I think the regular 4000 cost for a weapon is a bit much for what are essentially just simple melee weapons- (now, specialized weapons or guns...) so if you'd want to use, say, 1000 of your starting capital to get a sturdy enough pole staff (or guitar, I guess :roll:) to be used as weapon, that would be okay.

Otherwise, both of you can have your respective item, but they'll probably break if you try to use them as weapons.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:47 am

I totally want Alex to start with a cane. Not as a weapon, just a thing.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 am

Oh, as for general stuff everyone is getting... You should be getting a trainer card and pokedex soon enough, but you guys will see how that all pans out soon enough... :roll:

And that's fine Dlover. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 am

Hmm....as much as I like the idea of whacking people with a guitar, I'm not sure it's worth 1000 bucks......

If you're curious about why I was so interested, when my character is a Special Attacker: I'm planning on getting Tailwind as one of my Wind Runner moves, which will give me the Guster Capability, allowing me to make my Struggle attacks do Special Flying damage. With a two-handed weapon, that's At-Will DB6 Special Flying attack, which would've been pretty nice to have. That said, Air Cutter technically does the same thing but better (same damage base, lower AC, higher crit chance, and AOE) so I guess it's kinda irrelevant. Though I still like the idea of a little girl beating the crap out of guys with a musical instrument :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:15 am

Thinking of that, I've started playing Divinity: Original Sin, and a guitar is the most powerful weapon I've seen. Deals twice the damage of anything else. Except it only has one durability. :lol:
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:30 am

I Just realized that Dusk is doing a Musician too...Totally unintended Copy. And now I want a Guitar Weapon too...Although I was more thinking of an Axe that is Actually an Axe that her Dad had made for her in the Halcyon days of Yore(I.E. Bank Popularity).

I've got some Relationships in my sheet now, although not the actual backstory yet...

Edit: And we're both Really short...
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:32 am

We can start our own band! :P

Btw Dusk, it looks like you're going for the Mixed Sweeper poke-edge for Kay? I think you can just start with that if you qualify for it, which Kay does.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 am

Donnigan wrote:I Just realized that Dusk is doing a Musician too...Totally unintended Copy. And now I want a Guitar Weapon too...Although I was more thinking of an Axe that is Actually an Axe that her Dad had made for her in the Halcyon days of Yore(I.E. Bank Popularity).

I've got some Relationships in my sheet now, although not the actual backstory yet...

Edit: And we're both Really short...
Don't worry, I think guitar music and shortness is where our similarities are going to end.
Izzy's going to be focused mainly on the Flying stuff, with the music being more of an incidental hobby to complement her other classes. She's mainly in this for the freedom of traveling the region, not the performing. Whereas it looks like Laura is all about the music, and has put a lot of time and effort into learning her art. Also, I'm probably not going to be putting much effort into Contest stuff, all things considered, so that'll really be your thing.

This raises an interesting question though - do the effects of multiple Song's from different Musician's stack? For example, if both Laura and Izzy played War Song at the same time, would everyone in range of both get +10 damage on their next turn? Or would a Bardic Flair from each give a combined +2/10ths temp Hp? Because, depending on your answer, that might affect my choice of Features pretty heavily.
SuperVaderMan wrote: Btw Dusk, it looks like you're going for the Mixed Sweeper poke-edge for Kay? I think you can just start with that if you qualify for it, which Kay does.
Yeah, I know. Problem is though, if I get it now, I'll have to put all three points into DEF and SDEF to avoid messing up base relations, when I really just want to leave those where they are and focus on the other stats. So I'm going to wait until Lv14, at which point ATK and SATK will both be at 13 points, so I can put the three free points into SPD and HP instead.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:29 am

Hmm... Yes, the effects stack.

Anyways, I think I'll get the first post up later tonight/Early tomorrow. You guys who are still working on your sheet need not panic though, you have a few more days to make any final adjustments. :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 am

So i am most likely going to get underdog, is there any other way to stop level evolutions from evolving asides everstones? If i want to put them in contests, they cannot wear accesories, and it is 3,000 per stone, which is a lot.

If not then could there maybe be a feature of underdog to prevent pokemon from evolving if i dont want them to?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:28 am

In my opinion, a pokemon will generally try to resist evolving if it or it's trainer doesn't want it to. The one exception to this is if it's forced, be it due to extreme circumstances or the fact that it's massively overlevelled- In which case a everstone is the only thing that can prevent it.

Two things about that, though. Firstly, everstones are only 1500 in PTU, so significantly cheaper. Secondly, let's say that everstones have a bit of an "afterburn"- As long as a pokemon has it's own everstone that it carries for most of the day, it'd be safe to occasionally switch it out for contests or simple battles.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 am

Hey Don, which Musician Talents are you planning on going for? Because I'm struggling to decide my progression.
While I'd love to go for the Power Chord line, it would make Bardic Flair my only Song - unless I drop Mt. Moon Blues for War Song, but I like Sing and Supersonic too much for that. And then there's Nuanced Note, which would synergise great with Noise Complaint (Hyper Voice/Uproar) and similar Sonic moves from my 'mons (Boomburst), but requires you to have Voice Lessons too, meaning I'd have to forgo all Songs entirely!

On a related note, since it's apparently so easy to screw up your Musician progression by picking the wrong Talents (and Don already has Bardic Flair covered), I've decided to switch my third starting feature to Raging Winds and just grab Air Cutter and Tailwind to start off with instead. Just so I have more time to make my decision.

EDIT: Just realised I could go Mt. Moon Blues, Bardic Flair, War Song, Cacophony, Noise Complaint, and Power Cord, which could be a good compromise. No Lively Beat, but I'll still have two good Songs to use alongside a diverse Status and damaging Movepool. And no Nuanced Note either, but I guess that just means I'll have to be more careful with Hyper Voice and Uproar.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 am

Personally, for my own eventual musician progress over in your game, I'm skipping out on nuanced note as well, because those two moves are the only ones that actually benefit from them and are easily beaten by a sing/supersonic + power chord combo, as both sing and supersonic are already friendly by default. It'd only be really useful if you also have mons with a lot of sonic moves.

In other news, it seems that everyone has posted over in the OOC thread! This means that we can move over all further discussions over there. I think I'll wait with the first update until tomorrow though, to give those that want it a bit of extra time to work on their sheets.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Ok, I've posted a picture, and started working on my back story.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Screw it, I really wanna give this game a go, so if a spot is still available M0rtimer I'll take it. If you've got too many now that's fine, I can use this character in a future game.

Will make some tweaks to my character sheet.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Name:Bjorn Felman
Age/Sex:18/Male
General character idea/Introduction: It was a hard upbringing for Bjorn, raised in the barren tundra landscape of the North-West in a small fishing village. Bjorn was raised by his father, who eked out a meagre living as a shipwright that used his Mamoswine to haul fishing boats out of the sea for repairs. Bjorn was destined to take over from his father, as all children in the North-West followed after their parents, but that thought couldnt have been further from Bjorn's mind. Every spare moment (and even moments when he shirked his chores) was spent racing around the tundra on piloswine and walrein, chasing herds of sawsbuck and dreaming of the day he could travel the world catching pokemon and becoming a pokemon trainer. His father, realising that Bjorn had to much spirit to stay put, gave Bjorn permission to head to Isoceles City to follow his heart - something he wished he had done when he was Bjorn's age.
Starter: Grunt the Swinub
Preferred legendaries: Kyurem, Regice, Articuno

Will do fluff and picture when I get home.

Guys, I'm not too sure if I should have doen the stats for my pokemon differently (Swinub start with such low stats!), and I'm also not sure whether to take Take Em Down, Quick Switch, Swift Mount or Focused Training. Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Synch on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Mamoswine has a very high Atk stat, but a pretty low SpAtk stat. Since it has a fairly big special move pool as well as physical, you might want to give it a SpAtk raising nature, perhaps lowering Spd or one of the Def stats. Then he can be a physical and special powerhouse.

I can't really help you with the edges, but that's my take on his base stats.

Also, the OOC thread is up on the main page. You might get more help there.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:45 pm

10 is the absolute maximum I'd take, but it's fine. Welcome to the game- I've sent you an invite to allow me to edit your sheet.

Sam is mostly right as well, probably. Also don't forget you get two starting features as listed on the first page to strengthen your pokemon!

You'll need to send to me what you'd like to put in the trainer roster, though. Luckily, I have kept a spot reserved for just such an occasion.