Civilization 6: Myths and Legends

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Civilization 6: Myths and Legends

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Hey now, don't steal my thunder, I'm the reason that tweak was made!

PIRATES FOREVER! :P

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Looks like you folks are dead set on pirates this run, heh. Where did your interest in them come from (aimed at no one in particular).

Looks like I have to edit my story to include a sea theme... fortunately dragons are found anywhere... hehehehehehe
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Where did my interest come from? Hmm...

Personally, i really like chaotic good characters. The philosophy as well as part of the stereotypes associated with them just appeal to me (doing what they think is right regardless of the laws, putting their friends above all else, not afraid to make witty/snarky remarks but not being mean about it either, etc.), and while chaotic good characters can come in a lot of forms, in many ways the quintessential chaotic good traveler is the 'semi honorable' pirate. Traveling with a crew that's the best of the best and the best of friends, not caring about the laws but trying to do what they think is right and protect their crewmates. Seeing new wonders and mysteries all the time during their travels. Fighting the toughest monsters in search of loot or because they want to (and i like sailing and ships, so there's that). Think chaotic good swashbuckler, Firefly, pirates of the Caribbean (somewhat), one piece, etc, etc. Is this romanticized idea of pirates what pirates in the real world are like? no, not really. But it's the way i tend to think of them, and it's how i'll play my character in this game, whoever they end up being.

That said, that doesn't mean all the pirate supporters have to be 'honorable' pirates. Money grubbing or selfish pirates are just as likely to exist, and i think that the interplay between the two captains and crews could make for an awesome roleplay/rivalry opportunity. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 am

and we get boats....bonus... with cannons...woot!

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 am

Yeah, what he said. :P

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm

madmartin26 wrote:Where did my interest come from? Hmm...

Personally, i really like chaotic good characters. The philosophy as well as part of the stereotypes associated with them just appeal to me (doing what they think is right regardless of the laws, putting their friends above all else, not afraid to make witty/snarky remarks but not being mean about it either, etc.), and while chaotic good characters can come in a lot of forms, in many ways the quintessential chaotic good traveler is the 'semi honorable' pirate. Traveling with a crew that's the best of the best and the best of friends, not caring about the laws but trying to do what they think is right and protect their crewmates. Seeing new wonders and mysteries all the time during their travels. Fighting the toughest monsters in search of loot or because they want to (and i like sailing and ships, so there's that). Think chaotic good swashbuckler, Firefly, pirates of the Caribbean (somewhat), one piece, etc, etc. Is this romanticized idea of pirates what pirates in the real world are like? no, not really. But it's the way i tend to think of them, and it's how i'll play my character in this game, whoever they end up being.

That said, that doesn't mean all the pirate supporters have to be 'honorable' pirates. Money grubbing or selfish pirates are just as likely to exist, and i think that the interplay between the two captains and crews could make for an awesome roleplay/rivalry opportunity. Anyway, we'll see what happens.
The above is the Hollywood version of pirates...

The real ones are just sea muggers who run your ship down, take everything you own, send you off again if you don't resist...kill you if you don't
And they have about as much loyalty, and such as your common gang of thugs...which means none.
(Also, you have fourty plus men stuffed on a boat for 7-10 with all your cargo...not exactly pleasant..)
(And if your a woman, your likely going to spend the rest of your very short life being gang raped in every orifice you have.)

Then I vote for Pirates...Apparently somewhere in my mind is the sick idea of a world of people being raped and pillaged by large versions of Hasbro Toys...
(Then upon the world came Death Pony and War Pony, and to them was born Luna and Celestia who did bring upon the world the Pony Menace...) :lol:
Last edited by Quarg on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Entries are open if you haven't noticed. Not going to look at the thread until entries close; I'll close them with -my- vote in seven days. Abandoning thread.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Quarg wrote:
madmartin26 wrote:Where did my interest come from? Hmm...

The above is the Hollywood version of pirates...

The real ones are just sea muggers who run your ship down, take everything you own, send you off again if you don't resist...kill you if you don't
And they have about as much loyalty, and such as your common gang of thugs...which means none.
(Also, you have fourty plus men stuffed on a boat for 7-10 with all your cargo...not exactly pleasant..)
(And if your a woman, your likely going to spend the rest of your very short life being gang raped in every orifice you have.)

Then I vote for Pirates...Apparently somewhere in my mind is the sick idea of a world of people being raped and pillaged by large versions of Hasbro Toys...
(Then upon the world came Death Pony and War Pony, and to them was born Luna and Celestia who did bring upon the world the Pony Menace...) :lol:
Hence the sentence:

Is this romanticized idea of pirates what pirates in the real world are like? no, not really. But it's the way i tend to think of them, and it's how i'll play my character in this game, whoever they end up being.

I suppose i could have been more explicit about it? but yeah i'm well aware of how unlike real life that view is, but given how this game looks like it's going to go, the depiction of pirates is far from the least realistic thing that will be happening. :P

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Actually pirates had their start under the employ of countries to raid and harass one another without claiming responsibility and were quite organized. Only when the privateers realized how profitable it was did they turn to full piracy. And despite the idea of wild aggressive beast upon the ships, a large amount of discipline was needed to sail those ships. Pirates actually became quite organized and civilized. In order to sell their goods they needed merchants who would buy their goods and could pass them off as legitimately traded goods. Which is how places like Nassau came into being, by organizing pirates to make the life as profitable as possible. Pirates raid, then sell goods on the cheap to distributors who could pass them off as their own goods, then sell them to merchants at reduced cost to trade them off. Pirates wouldn't attack allied merchant ships, otherwise they'd hurt their own profits. There was actually quite a bit of "honor among thieves" where pirates were concerned it was more business like than it is often made out to be.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10