The Rune Goblins.

I'mBob
Game Master

The Rune Goblins.

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 am

There was once a clan of goblins. Just a regular clan, defending treasures from adventurers and dying a lot.

But one day, the goblins of the clan have found an ancient secret that can lead to great power: Runes.
But these were not simple runes, these runes were the first runes, those who gave power to the first adventurers.

If the clan can master the use of these runes, they can become stronger than any living creature. To become as powerful as the gods themselves.

But until than, the goblins will need to survive in a world where being a goblin is not easy, the power the runes give them makes it easier, but until they fully master it, their survival is not guaranteed at all. If others will hear about the powers of the runes, the clan will be in great trouble, as adventurers from all over the world will try to get the runes.

So this game concept is a series of matches, each with a map and a goal.
If you remember "Capture The Flag" game from the old forum, it works on a similar way, you have a character who can level through the matches and you keep it.

The game map looks something like this:

So these are the rules:

Every player has 4 stats:
HP - The amount of hit points you have.
ATT - Your attack power, how much damage you deal in a battle.
DEF - Your Defense power, how much damage can you absorb in a battle.
Energy - Energy is used for special abilities.

A goblins starts with:
5 max HP.
1 ATT
1 DEF
2 Energy

The damage dealt is calculated by ATT-DEF=HP damage dealt. If multiple characters attack 1 enemy, their ATT is added together in order to get through the defense. (Yup, this is just like LSN games.)

Every turn, you gain a move action and a normal action. You can use move actions to move up to 4 squares in any direction (not diagonally!), and normal action for attacking. You can also switch your normal action for a move action.
Some abilities might be normal actions or move actions, or have no action at all ("free actions") or maybe take your whole turn.
Other actions (Like drinking potions, picking up items, etc) are usually move actions. If not, I will specify that.

In addition, you can use your whole turn to "rest", resting means you don't fight this turn, and instead take a few seconds to relax. While resting, you have -1 DEF, but if no one attacks you buy the start of your next turn, you regain 1 energy.

Match resolutions: after a match ends, all players who participated gain XP and there will be a "loot pool" to pick from. When gaining enough XP to Level up, the player will level up.

When gaining a level, the player picks either +1 ATT/+1 DEF/+2HP/+1 Energy.
At level 1 (starting level) and every even level after, the player chooses an ability from his selected rune, as listed below.
Available Runes:

Rune Of The Rogue:

This rune gives the power of speed and stealth, in order to strike fast and hard. You can choose one of these abilities:

Aimed Strike: For the cost of 1 energy, your next attack will ignore 1 points of defense.
Dash: For 1 energy, you can move +2 squares this turn.
Trick Attack: For 1 energy, you make an attack with a 50% to stun the enemy.
Dodge: When ever attacked, you have a 10% chance to avoid the attack completely.

(Each of these requires the rank 1 of the ability:)
Aimed Strike II: For the cost of 1 energy, your next attack will ignore 2 points of defense.
Dash II: For 1 energy, you can move +3 squares this turn.
Trick Attack II: For 1 energy, you make an attack with a 75% to stun the enemy.
Dodge II: When ever attacked, you have a 20% chance to avoid the attack completely.

► Show Spoiler

Rune of the Mage:

This rune give the power of arcane magic, the ancient mystery with great power.

Available abilities:

Magic Missile: You make an attack with a range of 3 that deals 1 damage, ignoring any armor. Costs 1 energy.
Meditate: Resting grants you +2 energy instead of +1.
Teleport: For 2 energy, you can move up to 5 squares. This is a full turn action.
Fire Blast: All creature in a 2*2 radius takes 1 damage, ignoring armor. Costs 2 energy. The 2*2 radius must be adjacent to you.

Magic Missile II: You make an attack with a range of 4 that deals 2 damage, ignoring any armor. Costs 1 energy.
Meditate II: You can rest as a normal action instead of as a full turn action.
Teleport II:For 2 energy, you can move up to 8 squares. This is a full turn action.
Fire Blast II: All creature in a 2*2 radius takes 2 damage, ignoring armor. Costs 3 energy

► Show Spoiler

Rune of the Warrior:

This rune give powerful melee power, crushing your enemies with great physical power.

Abilities:
Power Attack: At the cost of 1 energy, you will deal 1 extra damage if you manage to get past the target's armor.
Charge: For 1 energy, you can move 3 squares in a straight line and make an attack with +2 ATT this turn. Your DEF reduces by-1 until your next turn. Full turn action.
Cleave: For 1 energy, your attack will deal 1 damage to another enemy adjacent to you.
Defensive Mode: As a normal action, you can switch to defensive mode. In this mode, you have +1 defense at the cost of -1 ATT. Moving out of defensive mode is a free action.

Power Attack II: At the cost of 1 energy, you will deal 2 extra damage if you manage to get past the target's armor.
Charge II: For 1 energy, you can move 4 squares in a straight line and make an attack with +3 ATT this turn. Your DEF reduces by-2 until your next turn. Full turn action.
Cleave II: For 1 energy, your attack will deal 2 damage to another enemy adjacent to you.
Defensive Mode II: As a normal action, you can switch to defensive mode. In this mode, you have +2 defense at the cost of -1 ATT. Moving out of defensive mode is a free action.

► Show Spoiler

The Rune Of The Cleric:
This rune give the power of divine magic, using holy powers to heal and strengthen allies and fill enemies with despair.

Abilities:
Heal: Heal self or ally for 1 hp in the cost of 1 energy. Move action. This has a range of 3.
Smite: Make a normal attack with a +2ATT. Costs 2 energy.
Bless: Give self or ally +1 ATT until your next turn. Costs 1 energy. Move action.
Curse: Give enemy -1 ATT until your next turn. Costs 1 energy. Move action.

Heal II: Heal self or ally for 2 hp in the cost of 1 energy.
Smite II: Make a normal attack with a +3ATT. Costs 2 energy.
Bless II: Give self or ally +2 ATT until your next turn. Costs 1 energy.
Curse II: Give enemy -2 ATT until your next turn. Costs 1 energy.

► Show Spoiler

The first match is going to be a test match, so everything after it is subject to change. I'm looking for 4 players. I will close registration this Thursday, game will begin next Sunday. To register, just say here. You can create a character now after.

To create a character:

Pick a name.
Pick a color for your goblins skin and name.
Optional: Pick an eye color and a rune color.
Pick a rune and a starting ability.

If anything is not clear, ask. Feel free to give feedbacks, I would be happy to get any.
Last edited by I'mBob on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Rune Goblins.

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 am

sounds cool and fairly easy :) I'll join.

Quick question (I never played capture the flag) - will the point be to capture something and get back; capture something and win! or kill all the bad guys? Or all three?

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

thinkslogically wrote:sounds cool and fairly easy :) I'll join.

Quick question (I never played capture the flag) - will the point be to capture something and get back; capture something and win! or kill all the bad guys? Or all three?
Missions will vary. It might be all of them or some. The first mission will be very simple though, just kill all the enemies.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:07 am

Ok cool, just curious as it'll make a bit of a difference for choosing skills.

Right then. My Character shall be:

Death or Glory
Colour: #ff8000
Eye colour: #ffff00
Rune colour: #bf4000

Rune of the Mage
Starting ability: Fire Blast

edit: I assume fire blast is a 2x2 effect that starts adjacent to my square?

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 am

thinkslogically wrote:
edit: I assume fire blast is a 2x2 effect that starts adjacent to my square?
Yup. Will edit that info in.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:48 am

Is this going to be PvP or PvE or both?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Is this going to be PvP or PvE or both?
PVE at the beginning, but I might later add some PVP.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 am

Nice. (I rather dislike PvP and that way I can just play in the PvE matches.) I'll sign up then. :thumbsup:

Name: Band Aid
Colour: #FFFFFF
Rune colour: #cc0000

Eye colour & hair color: I'll have to think about that.
► Show Spoiler

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:20 am

These are the sprites I made for your characters, please tell me if you want anything changed.
The symbol on your head is the chosen rune, each rune has a different symbol.

@Gathers. I assumed you picked the rune of the Cleric because of the name, but if it's not correct (Or you have not chosen yet, which is ok) I will change it.
I also made your skin color light gray because white makes your eye look really weird. Can be changed if you want.
Also, there is currently no hair. But I will add later.

Anyway, since it seems people lack interest in this game, unless more people sign up soon it looks like we wont be playing... :(.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 am

I'll play. I didn't sign up before now because it looked a bit confusing to my tired brain, but I'm pretty sure it's not as complicated as I originally thought it would.

Name: Dee Sixsneak
Colour: Dark purple #400080
Rune Colour: Turquoise #80FFBF
Eye Colour: Turquoise#80FFBF

Rune of the Rogue, obv. Starting ability Aimed Strike.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 am

Yeah, rune of the cleric. Sorry, how could I have forgotten to put that into my post? :oops:

starting ability heal.

Oh, btw, I was wondering: is it intentional that the level 2 skills of the cleric rune abilities are suddenly no 'move' actions anymore?
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:39 am

sorry :( I'd love to join, bt I simply cannot keep up with all the things currently.... way to much stuff on my hands....
-Best regards LAYF

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 am

These are the characters so far, Nikohl's one is added in the right.

(Again, I'm putting these as preview in case you want something changed...)

@Gathers
It's not intentional, the abilities are still move actions. The remain so unless stated otherwise.

@LAYF
That's cool man, you don't need to be sorry for that.

Welp we only need 1 more player now...
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 am

I can take that spot if needed :P

Name: Pew pew
color=#8000FF
Rune color #0040FF
Mage rune of magic missile
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

I'mBob
Game Master

Re: The Rune Goblins. (First mission sign ups closed)

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 pm

That's cool. We will begin tomorrow sometime.

(As usual, the pic of the characters. Everything can still be changed until the moment I open the game.)

If anyone wants to sign up, he is welcome. He might not join this mission, but more missions will come.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 am

Hiya!

Can I get #789fff as eye color for Band aid, please?

Also, can his 'rune' be more similar to a cross or something, or is that the cleric rune and looks the dame for all who choose this path?

Oh, and if you're not doing hair until later... Can we decide later on whether we want hair and what color it should be, once we know what hair would actually look like, please?

Cheers.
► Show Spoiler

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Hiya!

Can I get #789fff as eye color for Band aid, please?

Also, can his 'rune' be more similar to a cross or something, or is that the cleric rune and looks the dame for all who choose this path?

Oh, and if you're not doing hair until later... Can we decide later on whether we want hair and what color it should be, once we know what hair would actually look like, please?

Cheers.
New eye color is set, you will be able to see it soon when I open the main thread.

The runes are set per "class", so no, you can not change it. (Also, the runes have some kind of meaning which I don't think most of the people will understand.)

And you will be able to pick hair color when there will be hair.

To be honest, if anyone reading this would want to try making hair for these sprites I will be thankful because I'm really bad at hairs.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:11 am

It's Hebrew-lookin' stuff, isn't it? Khaf and Qof, and... uh, another one.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 am

nikohl wrote:It's Hebrew-lookin' stuff, isn't it? Khaf and Qof, and... uh, another one.
Maybe. :paranoia:

Well yes, you got it.

Also, game is alive.
► Show Spoiler