PM's disallowing BBC codes

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
ThroughTheWell

PM's disallowing BBC codes

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:42 am

Twice now I've PMed a quoted post to someone and gotten an error message saying certain BBC (BCC?) codes are disallowed. In order for the PM to go through I've then had to root through the quote an strip the offending code(s). That is a pain. I want PMs to work on quoted posts.

One code was Fonts, in a post from Wolfie. One code was Glow, in a post from Nerre.

Please fix it.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: PM's disallowing BBC codes

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 am

That's because Nerre is a Games Mod and I'm an Admin; we're allowed certain BB codes denied to other members, that could potentially be abused by other forum members (not you!).
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 am

I suspected it was something like that, and I certainly don't want to compromise security, but maybe you mods could be more considerate to those of us who might quote you in a PM and self restrict yourself from making that a pain for us. Of course I could just not quote you too. Whatever. :shrug:
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Hmm... I do sort of agree on the matter that it can be troublesome to quote something with these codes if these codes are not available to you- Wouldn't it be possible to, instead of denying the post to be posted, the code simply doesn't up on those who do not have the privilege?

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Unfortunately no, that would not be possible. I will review the ABBCode settings and see if there is something I can do to somewhat mitigate this problem.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:I suspected it was something like that, and I certainly don't want to compromise security, but maybe you mods could be more considerate to those of us who might quote you in a PM and self restrict yourself from making that a pain for us. Of course I could just not quote you too. Whatever. :shrug:
Well, mods should not use the special [bbc tags] for non-mod related subject-matter.

And with [glow[ the temptation is high...

Edited to add:
phpBB= PHP Bulletin Board, a bulletin board (forum) software written in the PHP scripting language.
In the context set by the phpBB software:
BBC= Bulletin Board Code.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 am

Moose, I don't know if there is a tool for that, but it might be a solution:

When quoting, the system checks whether the user has the priviledge to use that BBC tag, and if not, it removes it from the post.

---

That, or people learn to use their "tag powers" responsibly. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 pm

lol aside from the MOD VOICE thing, I didn't know we had BBC codes that others didn't! Good to know!

Now to resist the urge to abuse the glow code.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!