Forum Newsletter (We need writers/reporters)

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Forum Newsletter (We need writers/reporters)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm

There are also a great many artistic talents out there, posting their work in the Communities subsection. Maybe a weekly "what's new" to highlight the newest doodles?

Of course it would be nice to have something Goblins themed too once in a while... :D

Btw, short summing up of the Fan Art contest results? I mean, we know who the winner is, but a bit more details? Someone writing a report about it with any extra info provided by the Mighty Moose?
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:There are also a great many artistic talents out there, posting their work in the Communities subsection. Maybe a weekly "what's new" to highlight the newest doodles?

I think that will go to the duty of the community reporter. Whoever it is going to be.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:25 pm

On the whole comics thing, I'd totes draw a Goblins comic every once and a while after I'm done commissioning stuff for a friend :)
I am high in fructose.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Ignore my post I deleted just now, I missed some posts on the previous page. :P

Athedia
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Athedia

Post by Athedia » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Just for kicks in case you decide to accept my proposal I will start some basic write-ups.
Thank you anonymous friend from college who made the cute ninja. I insist on using it as my avatar until you join the forums since you love the comic. Take that.

Okay, she joined but I am not taking this down. Come on, look at the cute.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 am

Athedia wrote:Just for kicks in case you decide to accept my proposal I will start some basic write-ups.
Go for it.
► Show Spoiler

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:47 pm

This would be something that would be a lot of fun to have. I wish I could work on this myself but I am at best a mediocre writer with sight procrastination issues :zzz: . Although I could perhaps do some of Communities if you guys want to take the risk of actually making me responsible for something :). - that is, if no one else volunteers. (This is volunteer right? Cause if I am going to be paid to do this then SIGN ME UP! :lol: )
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:46 am

Your payment would be the world-wide reknowning of your name, the fame and glory of being one of the contributors of this marvellous forum product. Or something.

Bob, I think there would be more people who would write an article now and then, but is afraid of / can't commit to do so regularly. You might employ an Editor to look over occassional contributions, so such people don't have to join the editor group and feel some kind of strained obligation to write (and it would also keep the prestige of the "regular" jurnalists).
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 am

I'm inclined to try and write something, but haven't really gotten around to it yet. :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:55 am

I Think Looks is on to something when he says that...

maybe find one or 2 ÔÇ£EditorsÔÇØ who would look over articles. And then just let people who want/have the time write articles once in a while...

Then the editors can pick one or 2 out for each sub forum and then you (or they) can put them together into a nice little news letter...

But wait to decide if its monthly or weekly till you have seen how many who writes...

(Oh an Moose... maybe to lure people, can we have some rotating titles for writers and titles for the editors? Just as a small perk...)
-Best regards LAYF

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 am

The difficulty with that system is that you can't actually hold anyone accountable. If you happen to receive nothing, you're screwed. Plus, since the labour isn't divided systematically, you'll have a fair chance of getting several submissions over one issue or subforum and none of another. I don't think that'd be the most successful way of organizing this. Just my 2 cents.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:11 am

Yes, we already do have a title for the full time writers. Although t will be reserved for those who participate in almost every issue I think. Also here's the newsletter group: http://www.goblinsforum.com/memberlist. ... group&g=23
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 am

Ah... thats cool...
Damn anoying I can't spell to save my life... i would love to contribute....
-Best regards LAYF

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:44 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Ah... thats cool...
Damn anoying I can't spell to save my life... i would love to contribute....
How about comics? They require much less words and you are good at making them from what I know.
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 am

Hmm.. im not sure my humor would fall into peoples taste.. im okay at writing games and drawing for those... but comic stribs :/ i dont know.... hmm...
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 am

Well, you have to try at least once, then it will be seen. :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am

LooksAndSmiles wrote:Well, you have to try at least once, then it will be seen. :)
Well, now i've send Bob 2 small strips, then we will sya what he says...
-Best regards LAYF

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 pm

I think I could contribute a lot as the "random guy" a la Andy Rooney. I'm full of opinions on subjects and can devote some time for a weekly post on a subject that piques my interest. I've had training in historiography as a history major and have received consistent high marks in my writing. In conclusion, I'm adept at writing in essay format and am diligent about wording and grammar. If need be, I'm also familiar with the university standard for citing sources.
Misery enjoys company.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

we could have a section were I get drunk
type a little story in English
and the readers have to figure out what I said

:lol:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Athedia
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Athedia

Post by Athedia » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 am

i like that idea
Thank you anonymous friend from college who made the cute ninja. I insist on using it as my avatar until you join the forums since you love the comic. Take that.

Okay, she joined but I am not taking this down. Come on, look at the cute.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Hehe.. would be fun...

I took the time to put together a sample News letter (with fill text, no real articles)

Sorry for only using images of the forum and my own games, but i did not want to show art without permission...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/131911001/Sample

And since its PDF/DOC, we can even make the Topic names into links, so people can go directly to that Post or Topic from the Newsletter
-Best regards LAYF

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 pm

:o_O: Whoah...what language?
I am high in fructose.

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 am

A taste of my prose:

The impact of Columbus journey reach is far beyond the initial scope of simply finding new islands. Though others would have eventually found the Americas, Columbus is credited as the first. His journey brought knowledge of the New World to Europe and colonists from Europe with animals and crops to the New World. He also brought disease as did future conquers like Cortez. The native population would be all but destroyed and replaced with African/ black slaves whose descendents still populate the Islands today. Though toted as a folk hero for his discovery, we must view Columbus as a man. He was both a benefactor and a destroyer, ambitious and foolish, religious and a slaver, and essentially at his core, human.1
Notes
1. William D. Phillips and Carla Rahn Phillips, The Worlds of Christopher Columbus (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992), 240-273
Misery enjoys company.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:05 am

T-RexWithTourettes wrote::o_O: Whoah...what language?
I think it is a fill with nonsense function.. I can't remember what program I saw that function but it looked like that if I remember correctly.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:23 am

T-RexWithTourettes wrote::o_O: Whoah...what language?
Theis2 wrote: I think it is a fill with nonsense function.. I can't remember what program I saw that function but it looked like that if I remember correctly.
Yep. Thies is right, itÔÇÖs called Lirum larum (like the German song) and simply supposed to look like text/language, but have no meaning. Sadly I could only find a bad program for it. Once I had a program that could fill 3 pages before repeating itself.. that works a bit better... (If anyone knows where to get it, please tell)

I used Lirum larum because I donÔÇÖt even want to try and write so much text hand hope not to be hit by the "How the H*** is it you spell boy'o, and that grammar, Ech!!!"

If bob has some articles that He's willing to give me for a taste news letter, I'd be happy to set it up (or give him the Word doc if he wants it himself)

I think that all you Scribe clever people out there should join up... this could be a cool thing to have :) even if you only write one article, itÔÇÖs better than none :)
-Best regards LAYF