Reference

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
MakesNoSense
Speaks Quietly

Reference

Post by MakesNoSense » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:51 am

I don't want to sound out of line or make work for anyone... but... I would like to share my thoughts a little.

As a relative newcomer to the forum (and I guess overall to the comic) I have found out a variety of interesting things about the comic, sometimes by asking, sometimes by accident.

Goblins is a very detailed project, we all know this, and Thunt has put in an enormous amount of blood, sweat, tears and soul into it. For people who have been following the project for longer periods of time, a lot of this has come gradually, making it easier to digest and understand. However, for some newcomers (including potential newcomers which might arrive as a result of the comic being active again with Thunt returning from sabbatical) this can be overwhelming to attempt to comprehend all at once - especially when some of the information is not directly available (or easily traceable) in the comic itself.

I think that a 'reference' thread would be a nice idea - where various narrative/background information can be posted so that newcomers could reference it. Ideally, if possible, non-admin would not be able to post there, so that only appropriate material is added there.

Things which I think would be useful in there:

- The Map
- The link to that MoM alts page
- Background info (such as the Axe of Prissan info page in the comic http://www.goblinscomic.org/08122007/ and any other similar in comic or out)
- The list of previous owners (and their bios) of the Axe of Prissan
- The prophecy
- All similar sorts of things, especially ones discussed in previous versions of the forum like the previous owners of Prissan, which newcomers would have no way of knowing about.

Basically... things which were "new" years ago, but which might be (more or less) difficult for newcomers to catch up on without assistance.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: Reference

Post by Wolfie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am

You mean like the FAQ Thread in the main discussion forum that has asked for people to give it things to put up that people want to know?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

MakesNoSense
Speaks Quietly

Post by MakesNoSense » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Wolfie wrote:You mean like the FAQ Thread in the main discussion forum that has asked for people to give it things to put up that people want to know?
I meant something more direct and stripped down, sort of like how the first post was made there. I guess people can always go across to the wiki tho too, I just thought it would be nice in-forum. I can understand if its not the most popular idea, but I figured I might as well speak rather than remain silent :)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Well all the info you asked for is in that page if you look. We can always re-work so it flows better.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 pm

And I do add major bits of information to the first post as they come in.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler