blatant postcount spamming

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: blatant postcount spamming

Post by Krulle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:44 pm

In this forum (phpBB), any edited post becomes the first "unread" one. So if you use the "unread" link into a thread, you get the first edited one.... Or, if no edited one available, the first new post.
At least I get sent to edited posts, so I suspect, the software will do that for all others too.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm

I really think people get too worked up over double posting. 12 hours seems really high to me. I'd set the limit at one hour, probably. Depends on the thread, I guess. And the size and significance of the new content. And whether it relates to the original post or is more about a different topic.

Funny thing is I was actually wondering if anyone around here really cared about double posts or if we were all just apologizing because everyone else did.

I agree that it's wrong to clutter up the boards just to increase your post count, but that's actually a separate issue from double posting.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Krulle wrote:In this forum (phpBB), any edited post becomes the first "unread" one. So if you use the "unread" link into a thread, you get the first edited one.... Or, if no edited one available, the first new post.
Maybe. I would trust it when I see it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:04 am

WearsHats wrote:Funny thing is I was actually wondering if anyone around here really cared about double posts or if we were all just apologizing because everyone else did.
It's context specific, as with most things, but generally speaking I couldn't care less. Triple-posting though? That's a hanging offence :P

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:27 am

My problem is it triggers a reaction inside me. One I dislike and try to ignore.
And I need to remember myself than I am the worst offender of "no double-posting" on this forum myself. Although I consider that me doing so is a necessity based on the context.
I can live well with people doing it based on context (a few hours later things may have changed, and a new post can reflect that better than editing the old post), and a bunch of other reasons.
It just triggers something.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 am

I've done it once or twice. I mostly view the forums from my phone, and sometimes if I'm replying and I need to quote and reply to different people it gets very tricky and hard to do from the phone. So I just make two separate quote posts using the quote button.
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Now ban him.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm

gamecreator wrote:Now ban him.
Easy does it. Its a sneaky tactic but its not harming anyone and its in a thread that people can just choose to ignore.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:26 am

I see the hurdle as a means to make sure that someone is really intersted in the community, and being allowed in as a bonus for being an active part.
Blatant post count spamming is not being active.
Yet, doing so openly tells us they want to be involved, which is good.

So, welcome !

fancyhatman
Mutters to Themself

Post by fancyhatman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Synch wrote:
Easy does it. Its a sneaky tactic but its not harming anyone and its in a thread that people can just choose to ignore.
I mean I'm not trying to be sneaky. I've been reading this comic for literally years. I just want to be able to see what is going on. I've had 2 accounts deleted by forum transfers, and I feel like I'm just trying to get what I should already have access to. (also 14 posts to go :( )

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 pm

fancyhatman wrote:
Synch wrote:
I mean I'm not trying to be sneaky. I've been reading this comic for literally years. I just want to be able to see what is going on. I've had 2 accounts deleted by forum transfers, and I feel like I'm just trying to get what I should already have access to. (also 14 posts to go :( )
Which should ideally be done by engaging with the community, not spamming :P 1-2 posts a day on random chatter, a discussion or a forum game isn't hard.
► Show Spoiler

fancyhatman
Mutters to Themself

Post by fancyhatman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:59 am

Which I've done before. I have an account on a forum where I think I topped 20k post range. Also, I'd rather not wait 12 days to read a forum that is hidden just to keep dicks out.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:00 pm

fancyhatman wrote:I have an account on a forum where I think I topped 20k post range.
Well, now we know how you did that.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 pm

fancyhatman wrote:P.S. done
Congrats!

Now go and read all of the posts! :p

;)

fancyhatman
Mutters to Themself

Post by fancyhatman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:37 pm

gamecreator wrote:
fancyhatman wrote:I have an account on a forum where I think I topped 20k post range.
Well, now we know how you did that.
Not exactly. It was a forum with a 30 second timer between posts, and I spent most of my time writing rather long posts. I ended up being a mod and it was a rather heavy traffic site.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 am

...that sounds oddly familiar.

fancyhatman
Mutters to Themself

Post by fancyhatman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:47 pm

gamecreator wrote:...that sounds oddly familiar.
The site had a lot more people than this one. It also had rather large influxes of people from other sites when they heard about us. The site had a pretty big ability to draw small (and sometimes large) raids from other communities.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Locking this thread, any further spamming will lead to... less than positive outcomes.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com