Goblins: Life through their eyes - Novel

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Goblins: Life through their eyes - Novel

Post by Zambee » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 pm

I know THunt has enough to do with the comic and the game etc so he wouldn't have much time to do this, but perhaps it could be done by someone here...

Do we have any aspiring authors amongst our community?
Perhaps those of you who have a talent for story telling could write short stories, alternate reality spin-offs etc based on the Goblins world. We'd get to either read them here or download them as PDF files, and maybe THunt would review them and possibly coordinate with selected authors to work on a more official book.

Any thoughts on this?

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Re: Goblins: Life through their eyes - Novel

Post by WastesTime » Thu May 16, 2013 2:52 am

Would be nice, but firstly we need to know if Thunt approves of fanfics. Secondly, a person must not only be a skilled writer ( I would give it a go as I've heard from a couple of people that I'm quite good), but also has to be immersed in the D&D world (which I'm not, unfortunately).
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am

Whilst Thunt's approval would be ideal, what exactly are the rules on fan fiction anyway?
I know people who write them about games like D&D or WoW etc just have to have a disclaimer saying they don't own any of the character concepts, the D&D world etc, and give full original creators content to the creator - THunt.

I think the whole D&D rules thing is more of a plot element than a written in stone framework. From what I've seen in the comic so far, it's more about the story progression than the D&D rules. THunt uses D&D gaming elements for humour, drama or as a useful plot twist or guideline, but he does often do things that wouldn't normally be allowed or even work in a D&D world; Minmax trading the ability to rhyme on purpose, or the ability to wink or dress himself all for extra feats or stats; Thaco mentioning how there used to be no such thing as Drow when he was young back in an earlier addition, Fumbles adventuring multyclasses, 1/16th in every class?!! And so on.

The point of fan fiction being that each author is creating their own universe that just happens to look a lot like the content they are making a parody of.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 18, 2013 7:41 am

There's a fan art thread, so I don't see why fan fiction would be any different as long as it was kept in-house and not sold. THunt would be the guy to ask though.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 am

I support a fanfiction thread or subforum. Anyone with a twitter want to dare ask Thunt?

I doubt Thunt would have time to read, review or comment on them but it might be a nice way to get critique or compliments for the writers on the board. Not just fanfic either but general fantasy, own DnD parodies, whatever.

We have fanart already and there were two online fan comics (Heimspell and another own who's name escapes me) so I don't imagine THunt would have a problem with it but if we really want a Writer's area subforum or a fanfiction thread or whatever then we should ask Thunt. Twitter would be fastest, I think but asking during a livestream or over an email could work too
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am

Zambee wrote:Whilst Thunt's approval would be ideal, what exactly are the rules on fan fiction anyway?
Actually, it IS illegal (copyright infringement). Authors can and some did pursue legal actions against FanFic writers (Anne Rice is prime example.). Some think it's cute and even encourage it (like J.K Rowling).

There is unwritten rule that you don't publish any FanFic, but it's sometimes broken (Cassandra Clare I believe from HP fandom and E. L. James ftom Twillight fandom).
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

Sasayaki
Remains Silent

Post by Sasayaki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 am

Zambee wrote:I know THunt has enough to do with the comic and the game etc so he wouldn't have much time to do this, but perhaps it could be done by someone here...

Do we have any aspiring authors amongst our community?
Wow. I joined the forums today* and this is the first thread I find... serendipity, I guess.

Long, long, long time Goblins reader (started back when it was black and white!), first time poster.

I just published my novel about a kobold, Ren of Atikala. I can link it if people want, but I'm guessing that would be rude in a first post type situation, so I'll refrain for the moment.

Obviously, I'm not going to lie and say that Goblins wasn't a huge part of the inspiration for Ren of Atikala, to the point that the original title was Kobolds. Being a novel, though, the most inspiring parts of Goblins were the serious ones -- most notably Big Ears's discussion on what it feels like to detect evil. Ren's funny in places, but not in the 4th wall breaking way that Goblins is. Thunt and I have a different style on that. ;)

Could a Goblins novel be done? Absolutely. Instead of the characters talking about the GM, they might talk about the writer, or even the reader.

"I don't like the way she looks at me," said Big Ears. "Her eyes roaming all over my letters. Gives me the willies."
"How do you know it's a she?" Chief just shook his head. "Male humans read books too."
"How would you know what male humans read?"
"I'm just guessing." Chief paused, a thought passing through his head. "Wait, can humans even read?"

Minor point regarding a fanfiction subform, fanfiction is in the eyes of the law copyright infringement, but I'm one of those authors that really supports fanfic. I've written and read heaps of it (if Ren poked her head into Goblins I think the squealing would never stop) but what Thunt does with his characters is his business. I won't judge him for whatever stance he takes.

* I joined because I wanted to advertise the book on Thunt's website, but I can't start my own threads yet, only post in other threads. So here I go!