Currently Reading?

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Re: Currently Reading?

Post by thesilence » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am

Now slogging through the first Tekumel novel, "The Man of Gold". It is often beautiful and intriguing, but far too much in love with itself; the author takes far too many opportunities to have a character blurt out one of the italicized words he has invented, when the entire phrase in which it appears is a complete non sequitur, and there is no particular reason for them to say such an outrageous thing in casual conversation. It goes far beyond reasonable world-building, and makes it clear that MAR Barker had little sense of how to make dialogue appear natural. We have enjoyed the book otherwise, but this is a rather glaring flaw that largely eclipses its many merits.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm

I've been on a superhero kick lately - "So Not A Hero" (3/5), "Wearing the Cape" and sequels (4.8/5), and "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm A Supervillain" (4.5/5). Also been reading the Ring of Fire series (again), the Codex Alera (again), Man in the High Castle (just started it), and a few other books.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Anybody read anything good lately? I've just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, and I'm currently reading The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2015 Edition, which I got from WearsHats (thanks again, Wears, if you're reading this).

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks for trying to resuscitate the topic, RocketScientist! I have recently read a lot of good books, but the two that stand out (outside of classics like Steinbeck or Dreiser) are The Owl Killers and The Sunne in Splendour. The first one is a haunting tale of a group of beguines trying to instill the christian faith in a heathen land. The latter is Sharon Kay Penamn's take on RIchard the III, finally making away with the centuries-old Tudor propaganda and painting a more realistic picture of the doomed king of England. I recommend both strongly!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

gnomff
Remains Silent

Post by gnomff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 am

I just read 'A Fire Upon the Deep' - it was so intense it literally made my heart race and and I broke out in a sweat. Really a masterpiece.

I also read 'Kiln People' the other day which was just good fun.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Mostly nonfiction so far, but I'm due to get the fourth Game of Thrones soon, either from a bookstore or a library.

Kurufinwe
Remains Silent

Post by Kurufinwe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

The Gunslinger trillo...quardril...... epic by King.
But im taking the long road and reading all the ones that connect to Roland's journey. so I just finished "Hearts in Atlantis" and is starting on "Insomnia."

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:41 pm

I love the novel "A Game of Thrones" and am reading through it again now. It's so sad what Sansa is going through!
Last edited by Hope_Caswell on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Currently re-reading Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative.
:shrug: What can I say? I like a big book, as long as it's a good one.