Currently Reading?

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

ThroughTheWell

Re: Currently Reading?

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:27 am

Rendezvous with Rama is so much better than the sequels. I'd avoid them unless you both have time and are a completist.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I missed this. Sorry. :oops:
SamWiser wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
I still hate Starship Troopers. :P Chilhood's End was good though.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:34 am

You hate the Starship Troopers novel, or the movie? Or both? If you haven't read the novel yet, keep in mind that it has roughly 100% less Busey in it than the movie does.

Childhoods end was fun and depressing, and sad is happy for deep people.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 pm

The novel. I didn't see the movie. And I didn't finish the novel. Flat, boring, nondescript everything and a dismal worldview combined with a writing style I didn't like. Not for me. I didn't like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, either. No Heinlein for me.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 am

I'm not positive, but I think the only Heinlein I've read is Starship Troopers, and Stranger in a Strange Land. I can see where you're coming from about his writing style...I think the reason I enjoyed them so much is that I had the audio book versions, and a fantastic reader can breathe a lot of life into an otherwise drab character. And, as much as I liked Stranger in a Strange Land...it was awfully silly at some points.

I think I greatly prefer Forever War over Starship Troopers. A spoiler-free synopsis of the former: Humanity makes first contact with a species so alien that we can't even communicate with them, and they're attacking our civilian ships for some reason (this all takes place before the start of the book). The novel follows the lives of a soldier who tries to survive, maintain his humanity, and stay close to the one person he loves, while they're both carried through the millenia by the relativistic effects of light-speed travel from battle to battle. I think I like it better than Starship Troopers because it ends on a hopeful note.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Well this holiday...

I Confess by Jaume Cabre
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Lives of Pitagoras by Porphyry, Iamblichus
Idiot by Fiodor Dostoyewski
Lewa Wolna by J├│zef Mackiewicz
Sprawa Mordu KAtyńskiego by Józef Mackiewicz

And if you think that I don't have personal life... I don't
And If you think I've too much free time... I do
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:34 am

Believe it or not, finally got around to reading Silmarillion. I also asked for Shannara and Mistborn trilogy over at my favorite bookstore, the only reliable source of English and American books in my city (well, apart from the American Bookstore, but the prices are horribly high and they do not import books)
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:07 am

Ugh, I own the Silmarillion, but I haven't managed to read the whole thing yet. I keep giving up and having to start again.
Is it all as hard to read as the first couple of chapters?

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:48 am

No idea, as I'm currently reading the Sillmarillion proper. As far as I am right now, it's like reading another mythology. I am a fan of mythologies myself so I guess it's different for me.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Ugh, I own the Silmarillion, but I haven't managed to read the whole thing yet. I keep giving up and having to start again.
I stopped reading it as a kid. I read it as an adult, and found it okay. So yes. It is NOT LOTR or The Hobbit, but it is long world building mythology. It is all in what you want and are interested in. If you like long backstory to elves, and some of the bad guys, then you can find hints in there, along with many other characters. It reads more like a complete mythology too, in that you don't just follow one group, you follow history and the doings of several important people. Imagine reading about ALL of the greek demigods and heroes in one go. It tends to be dry, even when a char is trying at revenge.

So, either read it expecting something different, try again in a few years, or trade it away.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am

RidcullyJack wrote:Ugh, I own the Silmarillion, but I haven't managed to read the whole thing yet. I keep giving up and having to start again.
Once you get through the world being created and the first war with Morgoth it gets a bit more like a narrative with the story of the Silmarils starting properly. After that there are some proper stories that actually focus on individuals. Then back to histories after that. IIRC.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Nope. It gets easier. I really liked it.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 am

RocketScientist wrote:
Nope. It gets easier. I really liked it.
@ Jack: According to Wikipedia, the Silmarillion is divided into five parts, of which the first two are creation mythology, the last two are essentially stage-setting for and recaps of LOTR, and the middle section is by far the largest, consisting of several vignettes including the tale of Beren and Luthien. It sounds to me as if you might want to just skip ahead and read the middle part; it both functions more nearly as story, according to this description, and is broken down into more manageable chunks.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am

The creation mythology parts are short compared to the main part and are a great way to get familiar with the Valar (which is essential to read the main part). It's all very well written (how else could it be? It's Tolkien!) and I am really enjoying it. When the story focuses on the elves and then dwarves and men, it is a really gripping tale, especially for fans of LOTR who want to know more about this fascinating world and understand a bit about Sauron, Orcs, etc.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm

WastesTime wrote:It's all very well written (how else could it be? It's Tolkien!)
Ha! I don't know about the Silmarillion, but I would better describe the Lord of the Rings as "overwritten" myself. The man made no effort to create realistic dialogue, and prattled on endlessly about things that were of very little interest to most people who aren't linguists or mytho-historians. It gets taught in schools as an example of technical precision in the craft of writing, completely forgetting that the whole point of writing a fiction story is to entertain the reader, which is not something schools generally want to uphold as value to strive for (probably because they think it'll make them seem undignified or something).
it is a really gripping tale, especially for fans of LOTR who want to know more about this fascinating world and understand a bit about Sauron, Orcs, etc.
Does it ever explain why orcs are Always Chaotic Evil? Was there ever a time when Men and Elves weren't horribly racist toward them? (The ones we see in Lord of the Rings clearly deserve it, but did their grandparents' granparents' grandparents? It'd be easy to turn out evil after a few centuries of everyone save the Lord of Darkness treating you like scum.)
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:14 am

Yes, all is explained :D

About the "overwritten" part. I am an aspiring linguist myself, so that is probably why I love Tolkien so much ;)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 am

Not read Silmarillion yet, though I have an appendage of many unsorted notes belonging to the Silmarillion attached to my "LOTR - one book to bind them all" megabook.
Scrolled a bit through it. Some itneresting things, but most of it seemed to me like notes for the universe, that in the end never got used as they are irrelevant to the stories of the "Lord of the Ring",
Also, very technical, therefore a dry read. (And I am no linguist and not even remotely interested in artificial languages.)

Currently reading:
Great North Road, by Peter F. Hamilton

Kept postponing the start of my reading it until the next in the series comes closer. But couldn't wait anymore somewhere this weekend.

Also waiting for the next book in the Akinya Space series by Alastair Reynolds.

Oh jeez. I think I have 4 or 5 series open where I wait for the next book to be published.... Yuck.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:37 am

I read a good one recently called Elisha Barber by E.C. Ambrose. A fantasy book about a medieval surgeon and magic.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am

A little more on the Silmarillion. The mythology references in the LotR will actually mean something to you after reading the Silmarillion, although they may not quite live up to what you imagined (I'm looking at you Gondolin). You may have to go back and read the Silmarillion again, though, once the references have been brought to your attention. And then LotR again. ;)

AIUI, Tolkien wasn't entirely consistent with the nature of orcs. They were kind of created by Morgoth, but the Professor didn't want Morgoth to really be able to create life, so the orcs either spawned from elves Morgoth had perverted, or not really properly "alive" and without souls or proper free will. I haven't read the 12-volume History of Middle Earth, but maybe it's more spelled out in there. The Silmarillion just poses theories on the origin of orcs.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 pm

I just finished reading the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and last night I started World War Z.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Re-reading The Two Towers at the moment
All hail the power of the stick!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Re-reading The Two Towers at the moment
Are you just reading that one in a vacuum, or had you read Fellowship immediately before, and plan to read ROTK next?
My long-neglected blog.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:29 am

willpell wrote:
Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Re-reading The Two Towers at the moment
Are you just reading that one in a vacuum, or had you read Fellowship immediately before, and plan to read ROTK next?
A little of both, odd as that might seem :)

I am currently following along the Lord of the Rings class running at Mythgard at the moment. The Fellowship was done last year, or maybe the year before (at any rate before I was aware of it) so I never got to do it. And I found out about the course only a week before it started so I didn't have time to read Fellowship in preparation. So I jumped straight in to the Two Towers, which was quite weird as that has historically been my least favourite of the books, but I am getting a lot more out of it this time around than I usually do. I may very well follow on with Return of the King when the course is over, although I do have a couple of Game of Thrones books sitting on my shelf clamouring to be read...
All hail the power of the stick!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:26 am

I've finally completed the Dalemark Quartet, with a short detour into the Pacific Rim novelization, and now I'm working on two new books. The one I carry around with me to read on the bus is "Brave New World", which I had almost completely forgotten; I'm trying to confirm my long-standing recollection that it describes a far less horrible dystopia than that of 1984, as I routinely base Internet arguments on this fact. (So far I've established that the first chapter is pretty grisly and I entirely overlooked it on the first reading; however I'd still say it's nowhere close to Orwell's version. But of course I've only started.) Meanwhile, at home I take occasional nibbles on a surprisingly decent X-Men tie-in novel from the 80s or 90s, called "Project Wolverine".
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:A little of both, odd as that might seem :)

I am currently following along the Lord of the Rings class running at Mythgard at the moment. The Fellowship was done last year, or maybe the year before (at any rate before I was aware of it) so I never got to do it. And I found out about the course only a week before it started so I didn't have time to read Fellowship in preparation. So I jumped straight in to the Two Towers, which was quite weird as that has historically been my least favourite of the books, but I am getting a lot more out of it this time around than I usually do. I may very well follow on with Return of the King when the course is over, although I do have a couple of Game of Thrones books sitting on my shelf clamouring to be read...
Wait, they have classes teaching Lord of the Rings? That's Awesome!
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett