Currently Reading?

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Currently Reading?

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Arydra wrote:I had started Ann Rand's The Fountainhead, but I was unable to finish it.
Well, that shows excellent taste!

List of books I typically suggest:

Syrup - Max Barry
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton
The Gun Seller - Hugh Laurie
Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
Small Gods - Terry Pratchett
The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:59 pm

I ended up with the last 3 Kushiel books, Dante, and some Isaac Asimov. I will give the suggested books a look for the next time I run into the bookstore.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Just given to me as a present. Could it be Fate?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 pm

willpell wrote:
Did you read it yet? If not, shut down your computer, run to the nearest secure room, and lock yourself in. Do not come out until you have finished the book. Also, read Good Omens while your in there.

Might want to bring a snack.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Liesmith wrote:
willpell wrote:
Did you read it yet? If not, shut down your computer, run to the nearest secure room, and lock yourself in. Do not come out until you have finished the book. Also, read Good Omens while your in there.

Might want to bring a snack.
Yay for reading American Gods for the first time! Don't let anyone interrupt you reading it. Good Omens would have been on my list too, if there wasn't already Pratchett and Gaiman on there.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Liesmith wrote:Did you read it yet? If not, shut down your computer, run to the nearest secure room, and lock yourself in. Do not come out until you have finished the book. Also, read Good Omens while your in there.
I am not buying novels under any circumstances until I either hold a high-paying job for a year or finish reading every novel I currently own, that number being in the hundreds. I don't even have storage space to accept more books for free; it is a measure of my esteem for Neil Gaiman that I made an exception in this case.

Reading AG is a high priority for me, but first I have to slog through a tetralogy of mediocre fantasy by Diana Wynne Jones to determine whether it's worth continuing to own. The first book was decent, but I wouldn't fish it out of a puddle of rain (as I once did one of the better Magic: the Gathering tie-in novels); it simply isn't the kind of story which interests me much, but I am obligated to evaluate its three sequels before throwing them away.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm

"Wouldn't fish it out of a puddle of rain" may have just become my new standard for keeping a book once I've read it. :D

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:29 pm

I've heard a lot about Neil Gaiman, but I've never actually read any of his books. Can you guys tell me why he is so great? I guess I'm asking for a review.

Currently I'm reading Catch-22. After that I'm going to reread a memoir/autobiography thing called American Shaolin. It's about an American who goes to China to learn martial arts from shaolin monks. Good book.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:40 pm

willpell wrote: I am not buying novels under any circumstances until I either hold a high-paying job for a year or finish reading every novel I currently own, that number being in the hundreds. I don't even have storage space to accept more books for free; it is a measure of my esteem for Neil Gaiman that I made an exception in this case.
If space is at a premium, I recommend setting aside a few bucks each paycheck and investing in an old Kindle (only $69 on Amazon). Once you have that, you can have access to legally free classic books, and the device can be easily modded via USB so you can obtain other books without having to burn your paycheck...if you're into that sort of thing.

Neil Gaiman is so highly regarded because his stories are all very imaginative, original, and exceptionally well-written. He can take extremely fantastical and abstract concepts and explain them so plainly and easily that they make as much sense as breathing.

If you like Catch-22, I highly recommend The Zero. It's written much in the same style, but set in a modern setting revolving around the War on Terror. To further entice you: the book starts with the protagonist being shot in the head.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Let's see. American Gods is really a book you should pick up and read without knowing anything about it; just accept it's going to be wonderful and start reading. If you want to know a little about the book, spoilered below.
► Show Spoiler
Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

Neil Gaiman writes modern fantasy that rocks.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Picked up A Song of Stone by Iain Banks. So far it's extremely well-written and I'm very much enjoying it. I could go on and on and on why I like it :D
Last edited by BeanDip on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm

BeanDip wrote:Picked up A Song of Stone by Ian Banks. So far it's extremely well-written and I'm very much enjoying it. I could go on and on and on why I like it :D
RIP, Sun-Earther El-Bonko.
My long-neglected blog.

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Just finished Palahniuk's Lullaby. Currently reading Ender's Game (to prepare for the movie). Aaaaand about to start Gaiman's Neverwhere
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

Readers Clan Story Thread: Here
Readers Clan Fancomic: Risks and Side Effects
Readers Clan Fancomic 2: Heimspiel

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Ender's Game the movie... I think I'll have to read a review first. I mean the book is in my top 10, so I'd hate to see them pull it off badly. And Harrison Ford scrunching his face in the trailer as part of the military... I don't see that turning out well. If this was a lesser book made into a movie, I don't think it would bother me as much.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Ender's Game the movie... I think I'll have to read a review first. I mean the book is in my top 10, so I'd hate to see them pull it off badly. And Harrison Ford scrunching his face in the trailer as part of the military... I don't see that turning out well. If this was a lesser book made into a movie, I don't think it would bother me as much.
Admittedly, many movie adaptations turn out pretty poor. Others, however, turn out decent! Look at LOTR! Those books, by far, are difficult to translate into a film format and Peter Jackson did an amazing job, no?
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 am

Slings Words wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:Ender's Game the movie... I think I'll have to read a review first. I mean the book is in my top 10, so I'd hate to see them pull it off badly. And Harrison Ford scrunching his face in the trailer as part of the military... I don't see that turning out well. If this was a lesser book made into a movie, I don't think it would bother me as much.
Admittedly, many movie adaptations turn out pretty poor. Others, however, turn out decent! Look at LOTR! Those books, by far, are difficult to translate into a film format and Peter Jackson did an amazing job, no?
I'm Psyched for it. It's my understanding that Orson Scott Card shopped around quite a bit before settling on someone who could do the book justice, and he was involved in the whole process. That may just be rumor or marketing material, but I'm still excited.

Speaking of adaptations: Anyone here see the first episode of Under the Dome? I like it on its own, but people are slamming it for being different from the book. One back of reviewers on IMDB was complaining that there was still wind in the outdoor scenes after the titular Dome is in place. They complained about wind...during outdoor scenes...of a live-action show. These kinds of nitpicking madmen are the ones who hated Toby McGuire as Peter Parker because his eyes were the wrong color. These shambling cynics are the reason I can't take reviews of adaptations/remakes/sequels/anything seriously most of the time.
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:11 am

I just finished Dan Brown's "Inferno", the latest in the Robert Langdon series.

It posed a few interesting questions about morals, ethics, and a few other things while leading the reader on an interesting chase around the globe.

I liked it.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:26 am

Arydra wrote:What do you mean by unrealistic biology? Is it biology of fictional organisms, or did they just mess with real biology?
Sorry I missed this question. They messed with real biology, having "enhanced" humans doing things that they would be physically unable to do. It didn't really bother me much, but some of the reviewers on Amazon lost their stuff about it.

I've really enjoyed all the Gaiman I've read. Which at the moment is American Gods, Stardust, Neverwhere and various short stories. Once I get rid of enough junk that I have more space, I'll have to read more of his books. Sadly, I had to throw out a bunch of Stephen King paperbacks yesterday. I found them in a soggy, mildewy puddle in my leaking hall closet. :(
Liesmith wrote:Speaking of adaptations: Anyone here see the first episode of Under the Dome? I like it on its own, but people are slamming it for being different from the book. One back of reviewers on IMDB was complaining that there was still wind in the outdoor scenes after the titular Dome is in place. They complained about wind...during outdoor scenes...of a live-action show. These kinds of nitpicking madmen are the ones who hated Toby McGuire as Peter Parker because his eyes were the wrong color. These shambling cynics are the reason I can't take reviews of adaptations/remakes/sequels/anything seriously most of the time.
Not yet, but I have it queued up to watch when I have time. I haven't actually read that book, though. Been an inconstant reader of late. But I love Haven to bits, because (fictionally) being in the King-verse makes me happy. So I am hopeful about this.

Also, I liked Toby McGuire, and I have no use for the new movies with the Johnny Bravo hair kid. Hollywood needs to knock it off with the rebooting everything every five minutes.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:51 am

Slings Words wrote:Admittedly, many movie adaptations turn out pretty poor. Others, however, turn out decent! Look at LOTR! Those books, by far, are difficult to translate into a film format and Peter Jackson did an amazing job, no?
I thought that the first time I saw the movies; I could overlook them leaving out my favorite scene in Fellowship, then adding a completely unnecessary new scene in Towers. But the last time I watched them, I found them to be distinctly creaky and unsatisfying. The character's acting is wooden, the pace is creaky, the action scenes are awkwardly conducted...about all that's actually good is visual effects and music. ROTK was the least bungled of the three; probably they just took some time hitting their stride.
Liesmith wrote:Speaking of adaptations: Anyone here see the first episode of Under the Dome? I like it on its own, but people are slamming it for being different from the book. One back of reviewers on IMDB was complaining that there was still wind in the outdoor scenes after the titular Dome is in place.
As I understood it, the dome is permeable to air, while shutting out everything else? Haven't read the book, but Wikipedia seems to confirm this, as does the miniseries trailer.
RocketScientist wrote:Hollywood needs to knock it off with the rebooting everything every five minutes.
This.
My long-neglected blog.

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 am

willpell wrote: I thought that the first time I saw the movies; I could overlook them leaving out my favorite scene in Fellowship, then adding a completely unnecessary new scene in Towers. But the last time I watched them, I found them to be distinctly creaky and unsatisfying. The character's acting is wooden, the pace is creaky, the action scenes are awkwardly conducted...about all that's actually good is visual effects and music. ROTK was the least bungled of the three; probably they just took some time hitting their stride.
Well, we ARE talking about a book series that focused more on elaborate, detailed history than the action taking place. The books themselves weren't exactly racing with the pace either haha
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:00 pm

I know that this isn't the right place for this, but the new spiderman is pretty good in my opinion. The new actor does "antisocial nerd" better than Toby McGuire. Also, you could tell that he was a beginner at being spiderman. The earlier series had one basic scene of him learning and then he was an expert. In this movie he was learning throughout the movie. This made him seem that he wasn't as good at being a superhero, but it made the final scene much more climactic.

I agree that reboots are getting annoying, but they did a good job with this one.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:42 pm

I agree with you. I loved the new Spider-Man reboot. I hope they keep up with the same tone/style. We should move this discussion over the movie area, though
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 am

Slings Words wrote:Well, we ARE talking about a book series that focused more on elaborate, detailed history than the action taking place. The books themselves weren't exactly racing with the pace either haha
True, it wasn't entirely PJ's fault. But the point stands that, IMO, the movies were only somewhat enjoyable, and far from the tour-de-forces that some seem to regard them as. They entertained me in theaters, where the VFX and sound were more overwhelming as well as being brand-new; on DVD on my 800x600 monitor with my damaged, tinny speakers, much of this panache is lost, and I'm forced to get by on mere dialogue and plotting. Both of which managed both to diverge painfully from Tolkien's original vision and to retain much of the dull academic ponderousness of his text.
SamWiser wrote:I know that this isn't the right place for this, but the new spiderman is pretty good in my opinion.
Meh, I took one look at their take on Chris Connors and lost all interest. The Lizard is my single favorite Spidey villain, but they made him look too damn human; he's supposed to have a snout, not a face, and should not show any emotions other than snarling rage. Instead he came out looking like, I dunno, a He-Man or GI Joe villain, and I just shook my head and walked away.
My long-neglected blog.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:59 am

Slings Words wrote:Just finished Palahniuk's Lullaby. Currently reading Ender's Game (to prepare for the movie). Aaaaand about to start Gaiman's Neverwhere
Neverwhere is one of my favourite books! :)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am

Did anyone read the percy jackson series? The movie is fun and I do enjoy greek mythology. What level of reading are the books? If they are pretty much the same level as Harry Potter I'd probably read them, but if it's like "See spot run" greek themed then I'd pass.
Games:
► Show Spoiler