Currently Reading?

Moderators: Community Moderators, Chat Moderators

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Re: Currently Reading?

Post by friedkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 am

Yeah, pretty much Harry Potter. I've finished that series and am currently reading the next one, which is set immediately following the events in the Percy Jackson series, but adding in the Roman mythos as well. It's pretty interesting so far.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

Yep, they are Harry Potter-esque. Good books that grow with the reader and get better overall as the story proceeds. I like the second series and am currently waiting til October (?) when the next in the series is published.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:25 pm

It's a lot harder than see spot run. They are about the same reading level as Harry Potter, but I liked them a lot more than I liked Harry Potter. It blended humor and seriousness in a great way. Plus, he has a another series about Egyptian mythology if you like that as well.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:41 am

That would be great! I love the history behind polytheistic cultures. So many tales and epics.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 am

Not quite on-topic, but in terms of literature...we just lost Iain Banks a couple weeks ago, and now I just found out that Richard Matheson is dead. Hopefully he is now living inside all of his favorite paintings.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 am

Currently reading 'Tehanu', being finished with the original Earthsea Trilogy. I must say that 'The Farthest Shore' was (at least for me) the best out of the three. Wonder how 'Tehanu' will turn out
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:36 am

One of the relative handful of things that my mother and I agree on is that Earthsea was incredibly boring.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am

On Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. Darn kindles enabling me to burn through a series so fast :bonk:
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 am

that's how I got through the Game of Thrones series so quickly... it was in a Kindle bundle. :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:32 pm

I said before that the book I was reading at the time didn't merit naming, and I stand by that. Its sequel, however, does. "Drowned Ammet" by Diana Wynne Jones. The two are not actually connected at all, save by setting and possibly through the last two volumes of the tetralogy, which I have yet to read. The first revolved around a family of traveling musicians and was just too...well, I probably can't use the word that comes to mind without pissing people off, so suffice to say I didn't care for the tone. This one, however, is about a young revolutionary who stows away on a charmed sailing vessel after a bungled assassination attempt, and is quite lively and compelling. Not more than C-list compared to my usual preferences, but still quite an improvement on its predecessor.
My long-neglected blog.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:41 pm

WastesTime wrote:Currently reading 'Tehanu', being finished with the original Earthsea Trilogy. I must say that 'The Farthest Shore' was (at least for me) the best out of the three. Wonder how 'Tehanu' will turn out
I hated Tehanu with the entirety of my heart. I think it's the single worst book I've ever read all the way to the end. I felt like I fell into an poorly constructed morality play of wymyn powerz and menz = weaklings. Ugh. I still can't believe I paid money for that stupid book. >:?

I really hope you enjoy it more than I did, or you're in for a miserable read. :(
► Show Spoiler
Currently reading... uh... Something by Raymond Feist. I forget the name of it. It's the first one in that series about Pug. I read a couple of RF's books a while back in the Serpentwar Saga I liked the first one, but I couldn't make it through Rise of a Merchant Prince. Boring. I hope I get through this one. It seems more interesting, but I haven't had the energy for reading much lately.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:59 pm

I seem to be on a dragon kick. I'm reading Temeraire, and just finished the first book of another series about dragon-like creatures. After I'm finished with dragons, then I think I'm going to reread the Wheel of Time series.
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:04 am

I'm rereading The Timetraveller's Wife, because I'm only reading it while I eat lunch and/or dinner, so don't have time to immerse in a new book right now. There's a long list of new books I want to read in the summer break, if I get the chance.

Didn't like Tobey as Spidey, but I can't really say why - just didn't quite fit. Maybe it's the 'not geeky enough' problem.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:27 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I highly recommend "I, Lucifer". Addictive, captivating, funny, original, impressive. It's hard to tell a story from the viewpoint of a non-existent character whom everybody knows and loves, especially those who've seen "Devil's Advocate".
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 am

I just reread "House of Many Ways" by Diana Wynne Jones. Before that I'd reread "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:24 am

I just finished "Childhood's End", "The Forever War", and "The Uplift War", and "Starship Troopers", all of them are amazing, classic sci-fi novels and I highly recommend them...with one caveat:

"The Uplift War", it turns out, is actually the third book in the Uplift series. The book doesn't feel like the middle of a series, so I didn't realize this until I Googled it after the fact.

I am working my way through an 'All-Time Top 100 Sci-fi Novels' list I stumbled across somewhere on the internet. It hasn't led me wrong so far.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 am

Percy Jackson series Finished
Heroes of Olympus series (finished all that are in print).
Games:
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 am

Liesmith, I hope that list has Vernor Vinge's The Peace War. Lovely bobbles.

The sequel is just okay, being more of a mystery that is not as inovative.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

John wrote:Percy Jackson series Finished
Heroes of Olympus series (finished all that are in print).
Awesome. I bought the box set off Amazon a few days ago, and I can't wait till they get here. I'm assuming you liked them since you read the Heroes of Olympus as well. :)

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Liesmith, I hope that list has Vernor Vinge's The Peace War. Lovely bobbles.

The sequel is just okay, being more of a mystery that is not as inovative.
Nah, it's a series by David Brin. The overall setting (not the plot, so this isn't a spoiler) is a few hundred years in the future: all of the sentient, oxygen-breathing species across five galaxies exist as a galactic civilization, adhering to certain rules of conduct and etiquette, even in war. None of these species evolved...each one was uplifted by a patron species, which was, in turn, uplifted by an even older patron species. The unbroken chain goes all the way back to the mythological "Progenitors". Because of this chain, there are only a handful of galactic languages, and all knowledge is recorded The Library. As a result, if a species needs an answer to a scientific, moral, or spiritual question, they simply look it up.

Except for humanity. Humanity is a "wolfling" species: we have no patron, and all evidence points to us having evolved a star-faring level of intelligence. Before even becoming aware of alien life, humanity had civilized itself, and begun uplifting the species Dolphin and Chimpanzee, unwittingly securing ourselves honored patron status in the midst of a galactic community rife with fundamentalist factions which abhor young upstarts.

...and that's just the basic setting. All of that takes place before the first book even starts. Once I got far enough into "The Uplift War" to understand what the hell was going on, that general premise had me entirely hooked. I highly recommend it for sci-fi fans.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Liesmith, I meant the 'All-Time Top 100 Sci-fi Novels' list, not anything Uplift or Brin related. The Peace War would be on my top 100.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm

I've read only one Uplift book, but I love love loved it; their picture of an incredibly advanced and peaceful galaxy-wide civilization makes me think of Star Trek at its best. I mourn for the virtually-nil possibility of it ever being filmed.
My long-neglected blog.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:33 am

SamWiser wrote:
Awesome. I bought the box set off Amazon a few days ago, and I can't wait till they get here. I'm assuming you liked them since you read the Heroes of Olympus as well. :)
The only hard part for me is that this would have been so much better if I had started when the first book was out. Being 27 and reading about a 13 year old, sometimes I have a hard time remembering the thought processes of that age. And I don't know if I completely think that the characters are appropriately written at that age. Honestly I basically picture like a 17 yr old kid going through adulthood and his early 20's. But that's not essential for the story anyway- the greek references and myths utilized actually had me go back and look at some of the Greek stories I was unfamiliar with. Fun all around and I burned through them soooooo quick. The Heroes of Olympus is really good too, especially since they open up the scope of how many characters you are following. A nice change while continuing the story of the Demigods progression.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:57 pm

I just started the Rendezvous with Rama audio book, and a kindle copy of Foundation.

Holy crap, my brain cannot contain this much awesome sci-fi at once. Why did I never read these books as a kid? I'd regret all that time I spend on the Animorphs series, if it wasn't also awesome.
► Show Spoiler