CTF Game 3: MVP voting closed. That's a wrap!

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: CTF Game 3: Turn 5 (Crit Happens)

Post by Knucklekraken » Sat May 09, 2015 4:26 am

Right now, the dice get my mvp vote.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat May 09, 2015 5:25 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:Nerre should of had a 50% chance to hit Yells. Why was there no roll for this?
Aww, crap. Just as I thought I'd finally made one update without a major error.

Nerre has a 50% chance to catch Yells as he moves out of the square.

1-10 there's a tussle. 11-20, Yells escapes.

Roll: 12.

... Whew. I guess I don't have to redo the update and get everyone to rethink their moves. And hey, whaddya know? That's a second roll in the red team's favor. (OTOH, I guess I booted up my laptop - where all the game files are - for nothing. I wasn't really expecting the roll to go that way.)

I'll add the roll in to the update.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat May 09, 2015 7:14 am

The second "won" roll... Yay....

I concur with Knuckle for MVP....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CTF Game 3: Turn 6: (Turning of the tide?)

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 10, 2015 12:13 am

Notes
1. I'm switching to text first to make things more interesting.
2. I know people are busy over the weekend. If at least 3 players fail to check in, I'll delay the update.
3. As you may know, my sleep/wake schedule shifts from day to day. This is going to make each update a little later than the previous one. So you'll have at least 24 hours between moves, but it effectively changes the time zone of the game. If you want more time to confer, let me know.
4. To make things narratively a little more interesting, I shifted the description around in the second half of the turn. This does not change the outcome, but does affect expected points and XP. I'll explain.
Stands Firm triumphantly grabs the flag as CarvesAPumpkin unhappily stands up. Tumbles Down a Hill moves into position...

Meanwhile, at the lower flag:

Dreamer tackles D8, hoping to catch Righteous Charger before he gets to the flag square.
► Show Spoiler
Righteous Charger escapes! He wins a point for the blue team and 1 XP for winning a tussle. He moves to the flag square, earning another point for the blue team as Bomb Diggety, and Has No Name line up behind him.

Score: 8 to 0!

Hides Cloth spaces out as Boar Slayer, Pats Dragons, and Yells At Others head for the unguarded blue flags...

Righteous Charger picks up the flag as Bomb Diggety and Has No Name tackle to cover him, with Bomb Diggety earning another blue point by reaching the flag square. Dreamer picks himself up and watches unhappily.

Score: 9 to 0!

Boar Slayer, Pats Dragons, and Yells At Others continue their advance into blue territory unchallenged.

At the reds' upper flag, Tumbles Down a Hill and CarvesAPumpkin both go for the rookie who dared to take their flag.

Tumbles Down a Hill tackles the flag square.
► Show Spoiler
Stands Firm rolls another crit! Tumbles misses!

It's all up to CarvesAPumpkin now...

Carves guards.
► Show Spoiler
Carves wins! It's the first point for the red team! He also gets 1 xp for winning a tussle and 1 xp for sending Stands back to his side of the field.

Stands Firm must respawn in his home column... which means the blue team will have one defender in place as half of the red team makes for the blue flags.

Score: 9 to 1!

In the middle of the field, Hides Cloth dreams of glory.

► Show Spoiler
Bomb Diggety, Righteous Charger, and Pats Dragons cannot sprint next turn.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: CTF Game 3: Turn 6: (Turning of the tide?)

Post by Krulle » Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 am

How can Righteous Charger get 2 rolls to get away? I got him, so it's a tussle. One I lost, yes (no tackle bonus?), but a tussle nontheless.
And the way you ordered it for the story, Carves should have a minus for being in the same square as a team member, and that would have made him lose the tussle... (Tumbles should have a minus too)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 10, 2015 2:04 am

Krulle wrote:How can Righteous Charger get 2 rolls to get away?
Rules wrote:When there are conflicting moves, random die roll determines the order of turns or target of attacks unless the players specify.
Rules wrote:When tackling a player that is moving away from the target square on the same turn as the tackle lands, the tackle hits if the target moves towards the tackler. It misses if the target moves straight away from the tackler. If the target moves sideways, there is a 50% chance the tackle hits.
You tackled into the square as he ran out. If he'd been running directly away from you, he'd automatically have gotten cleanly away. But since he was moving perpendicular to you the rules say there's a 50/50 chance. Basically, it's an initiative roll. Actions are taken simultaneously, but sometimes order matters. In this case, you won initiative, meaning that you tackled into the square before Righteous Charger ran out of it. So there was a tussle. (That's what "the tackle hits" means. Not that you automatically win the tussle, but rather that you win initiative so there is a tussle.)
Krulle wrote:I got him, so it's a tussle. One I lost, yes (no tackle bonus?), but a tussle nontheless.
Rules wrote:If the winner was dodging, the winner may take the rest of their moves that turn. The loser is distracted for this turn, but can move normally again next turn.
Righteous Charger won the tussle. If you're tackling or guarding, that means you knock your opponent down. But if you're running, winning means that you dodge the tackle and thus can continue your move.

So, in summary: You tackled into the square before Righteous charger moved, but he managed to dodge you, which allowed him to run to the flag square.

You're right about the tackle bonus. I'll add that in. But with a roll of 17, he still wins.
And the way you ordered it for the story, Carves should have a minus for being in the same square as a team member, and that would have made him lose the tussle... (Tumbles should have a minus too)
Good point. But, as I explained, Carves actually won initiative. His guard action happened before Tumbles tackled into the square. I wrote Tumbles's tackle first because I thought it was more suspenseful that way, but it's basically just flavor text. By the dice, Han shot first Carves attacked first. I'll add in the minus to Tumbles, even though that further confuses things, but, again, it doesn't actually change the outcome.

► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun May 10, 2015 2:34 am

Yay a team point...just. Thank goodness Carves did act first (though when i read the story order too i wondered about the missing 5%) as otherwise they both would have got the -5% which would mean we lost the tackle.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 10, 2015 2:55 am

bomb should have scored a point for making it to the flag square.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 10, 2015 3:24 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:bomb should have scored a point for making it to the flag square.
Hmm. That's not clear to me.

You can't get advancement XP for running back and forth. It only resets after a successful flag capture. Likewise, I don't think the team gets an extra point for reaching the same flag square twice. Has it been treated differently in other games?

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun May 10, 2015 3:27 am

One XP per flag square... Until successfully captured....
Blue has one, now they can get the other flag XP...

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 10, 2015 3:44 am

1 point for advancing all the way to the opponent's flag square. You have to return to your own half before you can score another point like this.
you have to return to score a point but your allies don't
Last edited by ChuckDaRighteous on Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 am

It apears you missed an advancement exp for me last turn - I should be on 5 exp.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 10, 2015 4:33 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:
1 point for advancing all the way to the opponent's flag square. You have to return to your own half before you can score another point like this.
you have to return to score a point but your allies don't
You, individually, earn XP. If you advance through enemy territory, you get XP. But you can't get XP for running through the same column twice. Not until the flag has been captured.

You, as a team, earn points. If your team makes it to the enemy flag square, you get a point. I don't think you should get two team points for reaching the same flag square twice.
M0rtimer wrote:It apears you missed an advancement exp for me last turn - I should be on 5 exp.
Ah, so I did. Sorry. Fixed now.
Another note
I put a brief note about this in the previous update, but I should make it clear:

Nerre wrote to me that he was going to be mostly AFK for the weekend. But he didn't want to hold up the game for everyone else or use up his team's captain's prerogative move. So he designated a teammate to act as his proxy while he was away. I agreed.

Shortly thereafter, I got similar note from Davis.

I don't want that to be the norm, but a couple of players now and then giving me a heads-up and designating proxies for a day or two is fine with me. Since I got advance warning, I'm not counting those as captain's choice moves.

As it happens, Nerre did manage to check in yesterday, so it was only Davis and Lokthar who didn't. I would have accepted a captain's move for Lokthar, but did not receive one.

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:04 am

I/yells should have gotten 1 advancement xp :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 10, 2015 5:15 am

Well I think the raw rulings are saying that an individual person can get a team point by reaching a flag square, but can't do that again until he returns to his own half. Not teamwise. You're the GM though, so you decide.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun May 10, 2015 5:54 am

Yeah... as much as I don't like the way this game is going, your team gets a point every time someone reaches the flag square. The individual has to return to their own half before they can earn a point this way again.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 10, 2015 6:05 am

...someone? So does that mean i can gain a lot of points by just running around on the flag areas?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 10, 2015 6:10 am

You'd have to go back or be sent back each time but yes. Might as well pick up the flag if you have to go all the way back though.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 10, 2015 6:39 am

Theis2 wrote:I/yells should have gotten 1 advancement xp :)
Yes, you should. I noticed that. Could have sworn I'd given it to you. I'll fix.
SeeAMoose wrote:Yeah... as much as I don't like the way this game is going, your team gets a point every time someone reaches the flag square. The individual has to return to their own half before they can earn a point this way again.
Huh. Doesn't make much sense to me, but if that's the way the game is usually played, I'll change it. As for the way the game is going, the red team currently has three people who seem reasonably likely to make it to the flag squares, so that will likely even out. If they can get away with one more flag than the blue team, the score will be just about tied.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CTF Game 3: Turn 7 (The Running Of The Flag)

Post by WearsHats » Mon May 11, 2015 1:16 am

Righteous Charger starts running with the flag as Bomb Diggety and Has No Name guard his way. Dreamer sprints ahead.

Hides Cloth respawns in the flag square as Boar Slayer and Yells At Others advance on him.

Pats Dragons makes for the other blue flag while Stands Firm makes his way back to blue territory.

Nerre moves towards the upper red flag, intending to tackle the flag square as Tumbles Down a Hill sprints past him in the opposite direction. CarvesAPumpkin tackles forward, intercepting Nerre!
► Show Spoiler
Carves wins another tussle! He gets 1 XP for winning, 1 XP for sending Nerre back to his side of the field, and 1 point for the red team!

Nerre must respawn in column 1.

Score: 9 to 2!

Carves stands triumphantly over his vanquished foe. Tumbles completes his sprint at the center line.

Hides Cloth moves north.

Pats Dragons tackles into the blue team's lower flag square, earning a point for the red team.

Score: 9 to 3!

At the upper blue flag square, Stands Firm tackles forward as Yells At Others runs right towards him.
► Show Spoiler
Yells manages to just escape. He gets 1 XP and one point for the red team!

Score: 9 to 4!

Boar Slayer tackles into the blue's home column.

Down at the lower red flag, we have an entire pack moving with the flag. Righteous Charger advances as Bomb Diggety and Has No Name tackle to cover. But wait! What's this? Dreamer completes his sprint by taking a left turn... right into the tackling No Name!
► Show Spoiler
Dreamer just escapes being knocked over. He gets 1 XP for winning the tussle and one point for the red team.

Score: 9 to 5! (Hello, Dolly!)

Bomb Diggety, Boar Slayer, and Pats Dragons have -1 to tussles next turn for missed tackles. Dreamer gets -1 to tussles next turn for sprinting. Dreamer and Tumbles Down a Hill cannot sprint for 2 more turns.

Meanwhile, in a different comic...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: CTF Game 3: Turn 7 (The Running Of The Flag)

Post by Krulle » Mon May 11, 2015 3:36 am

Questions: Does Pats get a point for reaching the flag square? Or did we already have that point? I thought not....

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 am

One of these days, I'll get it right. I'll fix in a bit.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 am

You're close, as far as I can tell.
I find it interesting that tackle stamina 2 does only help against being caught in a tackle (and I fully expected the tackle after my sprint - as it was not mid-sprint).

And I love the flag-game Calvin is playing... Thanks for linking (I know all C&H comics, having read most books and all the online comics a few times already. - another advantage of my memory: I can enjoy comics rather often again)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon May 11, 2015 4:05 am

Tackle stamina only helps when you're tackling, yes. The sprint penalty applies on the turn in which you're sprinting, whether you're at the beginning, middle, or end of your sprint.

I love C&H. Go Comics reposts the strip daily. It's part of my regular webcomic rounds. Even though I have read much of it already, I always enjoy it.

► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 am

WearsHats wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Somehow this seems contradictory to what happened last turn. If there is no question we were all in the square at the same time this turn (and I agree with this), there should have been no question last turn when tumbles, carves and stands tussled. Initiative can determine order of attack, but they are all still in the same square. Run it either way you want just have consistency.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10