GAL: Quest 1 (Completed)

For all games that are now over.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 27)

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 am

That. Was. Awesome!

I will press the button, cross the bridge, and go down the ladder.

"We took care of that spider problem for you."

Odd, IIRC, we were told that the stingers are territorial. I don't know what will happen if you stand in the middle of the acid pit. They're shy, so it's possible that the chests, the spider corpse, and your fearsome visage will keep them at bay. But I'm wondering if you'd have better odds jumping to land.

It's a risk, and you've got no margin for error, but if you (as a moving target) can make it past the one stinger that's there, you should be safe on land until we either deal with the stingers or establish that they're scared enough to keep hiding for a little while. Meantime, since you're closer to that side anyway, you could set about freeing the gnome.

It's a thought, anyway.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 am

I thought about jumping, but if i jump to where the spider was, I have to jump right through a stinger. If I jump to the gnome hole, it looks like the stinger there would be able to attack me as I passed over head. So I figured with 1hp its best to stay put for the moment.

Besides, I just almost died for the 2nd time. I dont want to try it a 3rd time to see if it takes.

Still awesome though. Im considering making that pic a wallpaper on my phone!
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 am

Well, I was thinking you could try to jump over it, but yeah, fair enough. It's a risk either way. Good luck. Hopefully, if the stingers do come out, William will be able to keep them off you until we can get there to back you up.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:40 am

Walks very slowly and very carefully climbs down the wobbly ladder and once on the lower level tries to get the leftover rope out of the acid by catching a loop (above the acid surface) of it around her pointy stick pull that towards her. If that works, she'll try to hold the chests somewhat steady, in case Odd wants to move over them and/or jump off them. If the rope is long enough, she'll tie it around the ladder base.

@ Wears:
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 am

Sure. Good thought. Why don't you take the spear back? I can hand it to you when we're both at the bottom of the ladder.

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 am

Thx gathers. I will decide what I'm doing once I see what the stinger-flies do and what the effect of your attempt to steady the bridge is.

Just for giggles, I will tell you that my plan B is to climb insider a chest and wait till its clear.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 28)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Turn 29

"Uh...guys....a little help down here?"

William is quick to oblige, charging down the ladder and shooting the closest stinger. It hisses angrily and dives back into the acid. The other stinger hisses and attacks Odd, but can't get through his armour on its own. Phew! Odd strikes back with his spear, but doesn't manage to kill it. Another stinger rises up out of the acid.

Mines re-activates the bridge and heads down to the gnomes, passing the venomous spear to Walks as he goes.

"We took care of that spider problem for you."
"Um. Yes, yes we can see that. Gosh. We really didn't think you'd be able to - not that you're not obviously strong and mighty warriors of course, but <ahem>... Um. What was it you wanted from us again?"
"The LAUNDRY! They want us to do the trolls LAUNDRY!"
"Oh yes, right. Gosh. I just can't quite believe that you actually KILLED the spider. Um. Anyway, sorry. Please tell the trolls that if they leave their laundry outside their lair for us, we'll pick it up and do it for them every week."
"Great, thanks!"

Walks puts her torch away, carefully fishes the loop of rope out of the acid and ties the end of it to the base of the wobbly ladder.

----------------------------------------------

Stats & Loot [Items in red are currently equipped]
.[tabs: Odd Duck]
ATT: 2
DEF: 2
HP: 1/5

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

[tabs: Walks With The Wind]
DEF: 1
HP: 3/5

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Vial of spider venom: Can be applied to weapons or added to potions.
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull
Venomous Spear (+2 ATT): Venom has a chance to paralyse the enemy.

[tabs: william]
HP: 4/5

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x4, +1 ATT)
Skull

[tabs: Mines Flagons]

ITEMS:
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah I have a limit of one stupid act a day. I'm running for the rest of the group and hoping I don't get atccked on the way.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Mines will jump up on the chest and use his torch to cover Odd's retreat, attacking any stingers which come close.

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:08 pm

If no more stingers emerge, Walks will - very carefully so - cross the makeshift bridge that the chests are, wipe the tip of the spear clean on the spider web so there's no more venom on it, and once it's clean tries to cut free the gnome that's stuck in the web. She'll encourage and allow him to climb down the shaft of the spear, if he manages to get free.
If more stingers emerge from the acid vat, Walks will fight one of them (preferably a wounded one/one she can kill) with the spear.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Yeah, it slid into the acid at the end of the last turn.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 am

William will now jump up onto the bridge and run across to the other side, jump to the far edge and see what is in the boxes...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 29)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Turn 29

Odd retreats back to the left of the acid vat. The stinger rises up to swipe at him, but can't get through his DEF and is battered back down by Mines, killing it.

Walks and William make a charge for the other side. Another stinger emerges from the acid pit, so Walks attacks it with the spear, killing it dead! William keeps running and manages to leap past the other one, but takes 1 DAM in the process. On the plus side, he manages to get into the top chest! It's covered in a thick layer of dust and looks like it's been here for years. Inside, he finds a Chainmail Shirt. Nice!

----------------------------------------

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x4, +1 ATT)
Skull
Chainmail shirt: (+2 DEF)

ITEMS:
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm

:lol: Love the expression on Mines's face.

I expect Walks and William can handle things on the far side. I'll jump up on the chest and attack any stingers that approach.

Incidentally, the right edge of the image (with the ladder and the chests that William just opened) is always cut off for me. I have to click it to see the full thing, and I keep forgetting that. That happen for anyone else, or is it just an artifact of my laptop's annoyingly low screen resolution?

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:13 pm

I wish there was a way to kill those skeley's I just dont see how. Odd will turn to the gnomes and ask them "Now that we rescued your brother, can you help us get rid of those skeletons up there?"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Walks kills the one stinger currently visible and then hops onto solid ground again (right side of the room; hopefully before any more emerge and hurt her). If she still can do anything, she'll wipe the spear tip clean on the webbing.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 pm

William will put on the chain mail shirt and then open the lower chest...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:48 am

WearsHats wrote:Incidentally, the right edge of the image (with the ladder and the chests that William just opened) is always cut off for me. I have to click it to see the full thing, and I keep forgetting that. That happen for anyone else, or is it just an artifact of my laptop's annoyingly low screen resolution?
Urgh. Sorry wears! I had hoped that the auto-resizing that the forum does would have fixed that issue. Can you see everything on the image of Odd leaping on the spider? Cos I've got a couple of other quests drawn up at this size but if it's a big deal I can reduce the width in the future.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 am

Yeah, that one appears just fine. Didn't even need to be resized. (In fact, that seems to be just about the max width before needing to be resized on this screen.)

Otherwise, here's what I see:
► Show Spoiler
Which is fine, if I remember that I'm missing part of it. One click opens a popup box where I can see the full thing.
► Show Spoiler
Why it can't just do that in the first place, I don't know.

The trouble I've had is that the image I was seeing looked complete enough that I kept forgetting there was more to it. I don't have that problem with Hyena's game because I can see how the text on the right side of the image gets cut off. (Of course, I still have to open the image in a new tab to see it at a size large enough for me to read the text, but that's another matter...)

This is the last time I buy a laptop with a (slightly) smaller screen thinking how much lighter and more portable it will be. 1366 x 768 just isn't enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 am

except I'm sure that's what the resolution is on my home laptop which displays just fine... I use Chrome as my browser though, so maybe that makes a difference with how the forum displays? Anyway, I'll bear it in mind for you and try and comment in the text if there's interesting things over on the right :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 am

... Huh. When I open this page in (*shudder*) IE, the image actually scales properly. It still says 88%, but instead of showing me only 88% of the image, it shows me the whole thing at 88% size. Imagine that.

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am

WearsHats wrote:... Huh. When I open this page in (*shudder*) IE, the image actually scales properly. It still says 88%, but instead of showing me only 88% of the image, it shows me the whole thing at 88% size. Imagine that.
Bow to your masters in Redmond,Bow I say!

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 am

ewwww! I'm not sure the right hand side of my updates is worth THAT! :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 30)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:21 am

Turn 30

"Now that we rescued your brother, can you help us get rid of those skeletons up there?"
"But you killed the spider!? You DEFINITELY don't need our help to get rid of those guys. Besides, they're not doing us any harm where they are."
"Anyway, we've got plenty to do to get our laundry ready for the influx of troll underwear. There's biohazard suits to make, boiling soap vats, emergency shutdown procedures... It's all very technical!"

Mines hops up onto the chests and whacks another stinger that pops up out of the acid. It disappears again instead of staying to fight.

Walks stabs the remaining stinger on her side of the vat and does indeed kill it! No more stingers appear this turn.

William puts on the chainmail shirt and opens the lower chest. Inside, he finds two very high-quality animal pelts, one black and one a lovely silvery-grey colour. They both look quite valuable. At the bottom of the chest he also finds a large silver cloak pin forged into the shape of a wolf's head, and a pouch with 40GP inside!

--------------------------------------------------

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x4, +1 ATT)
Skull
Chainmail shirt: (+2 DEF)
High-quality animal pelts (x2): These look valuable.
Silver Cloak Pin: Forged in the shape of a wolf's head
Money pouch: Contains 40GP

ITEMS: