Curse of the Gold (Final part 1)

For all games that are now over.
Nerre
Game Master

Curse of the Gold (Turn 246)

Post by Nerre » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Turn 246
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

While Strange still thinks about his plan to build a huge warmachine, Coats collects some stone to drop on the undead. He grabs four of the size of a fist, while his spider picks up two larger ones. Then they climb back to the wall, while Strange drags out a large and heavy beam.

While Aziriz leads the souther group around the shed, followed by Bear, Walks and finally Damns, who prefers to play the rest of this fight safe.
Wants leaves the bushes and runs to Tinkers and Sussura. Before he can reach them, Tinkers and Sussura destroy the last free skeleton. Then Wants uses his cleanse soul spell for the first time, turning the skeleton he formerly controlled and the one trapped under the barrel into dust. Once the undead thread seems over, Walks heals the group back to full health.
Many in the group feel like they learned a lot from this battle.

Traits:
Sussura gained a level of sorcerer and is now level 2!
sorcerer level (+2 MATK, +1 HP. 3 level 0 / 1 level 1 spells known. Does not need a spell book.)
is replaced by
sorcerer level (+4 MATK, +2 P. 4 level 0 / 3 level 1 spells known. Does not need a spell book.)
She can choose 1 more level 0 and 2 more level 1 spells.

Wants gained a level of deathguard and is now level 2!
deathguard (-2 DEF, +3 HP, +3 ATK, +2MATK, alertness)
is replaced by
deathguard (-2 DEF, +4 HP, +4 ATK, +3MATK, alertness)

Damns gained
Ranger to be (you can get ranger levels now. Choose 1st favored enemy)
favoured enemy <not chosen yet> (+1 DAM and +1 on all bluff, spot, listen, sense motive and survival checks on that kind of enemy)

World map link:
http://www.nerregatt.de/games/cotg/worldmap.html
Shack on a hill map link:
http://www.nerregatt.de/games/cotg/N0E0 ... E0_T-3.png
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Curse of the Gold (Turn 246)

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 am

What spells do I have please? Then I'll pick what I'd like for a new one :)

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:24 am

I second that emotion !
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 am

You can find the spells you have in the second post in the curse of the gold ressources. Updated it too. For possible spells, you can choose all level 0 and 1 spells from afnd or dnd for sorcerer, nikohl.

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:49 am

Damns takes Favored Enemy: Goblinoids. (That includes Orcs right?)
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Okay - I know the effects might be a bit different in your game but these are the ones I pick and their normal effects. Just let me know what they end up doing when they are modified to fit your game :)

For my 0s I pick Disrupt Undead (ray that does 1d6 to undead) and Read Magic (understand magic scrolls, spell books, runes etc)
For my 1s I pick Shield (+4 AC and blocks magic missile spell, lasts a minute per caster level), Burning Hands (1d4 worth of fire per caster level against everything in a 15ft cone), and Enlarge Person (one size bigger on target, makes them stronger and reach further etc, lasts a minute per caster level.)

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:06 pm

does wants get a new spell to play with or does his controle dead just get stronger

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Some of your spells are based on your hp, so they got stronger when you got more hp.

HP: 10 (formerly 9)

SPELLS:
Level 0 (no cooldown)
command undead (command undead up to your hp+50%. If they are mindless and not animated by you, you have to think for them, not allowing you to do more complex actions while commanding them. None mindless undead obey and act according to your intentions) <= You can now command undead up to a hp of 15, formerly 13 (9+4.5 rounded down)
cleanse soul (rips the tainted soul of of an undead with your hp, cleaning it, and freeing it. Mindless undead turn into corpses, thinking turn into mindless, which weakens them) <= you can now destroy undead of a hp of 10 instead of 9.

If you want to get stronger, try to get hp-increasing items. :)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Jacon, Asks, what are your actions?

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:23 am

wants, will nod to the fighters close to them

we should burn the bodies, destroy the liquid , ill check the cabine for anything usefull
wants checks out the cabine , going over the items looking for anything of use or anything that my give some clues to the undead movments and plans , if he runs into any undead insise he will use his cleanse soul

wants can start a fire right ? i assume he knows how ?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:42 am

He can keep one up if he got ember and start one with flint and steel, but currently he has none of both. But Damns as a Ranger to be knows how to do it, same for Walks survival bonus. So if you want a fire, somebody will start it for you. :)

Also: sorry, it is too hot to be long at the pc, so I have to postpone the update. 40┬░C.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Runsaround wrote:Damns takes Favored Enemy: Goblinoids. (That includes Orcs right?)
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Goblinoid_Subtype

in D&D it does not contain orcs. Some time ago I wondered why, and looked it up:
It has something to do that their origin in LOTR was being corrupted elves created by magic, not a natural race. The D&D orc lore says "The D&D orc is largely based upon the orcs appearing in the works of J. R. R. Tolkien."
So the above would explain why orcs are something else, not a goblinoid.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:21 pm

I will be gone 2 more days for holidays, back on saturday or sunday evening, then I will update.

Maybe some more will post until then. Would make me very happy! :D

Nerre
Game Master

Curse of the Gold (Turn 247)

Post by Nerre » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Turn 247
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

While Strange still thinks about his plan to build a huge warmachine, Coats collects some stone to drop on the undead. He grabs four of the size of a fist, while his spider picks up two larger ones. Then they climb back to the wall, while Strange drags out a large and heavy beam.

Wants nods to the fighters close to them, appreciating how well they fought.
"We should burn the bodies, destroy the liquid" he says, explaining what he learned about them so far. Sussura and Walks start a fire, and the others help to burn the undead.

"I will check the cabine for anything usefull" Wants says then and walks in. But it is still the same old cabin he was a few days ago from when he met Peloran. No new items appeared in the meantime. He doesn't find a hint on the undead plans, until he leaves the cabin again and searches the undead and their equipment. He can find some text in an unknown language on a piece of paper glued to the barrel, and he finds a two letters, one in the rotten bags of each ghoul. He also cannot read them, but he recognizes the letters as either human text.

Destroying the liquid seems harder, as they cannot just burn the barrel. Sussura freezes it so they can throw it into the fire in small potions. Whenever they throw a piece of black undead ice into the flames, dark black and purple steam erupts, and they could swear an oath they heared a faint scream.
"What witchery is this?" Bear asks rhetorically.

In the stronghold, Coats and his spider mount start to throw stones on the undead, which proves to be effective. Much more than Strange's attempt to build a catapult to shoot downwards, which would take a lot of time compared to Coats attempt. But he isn't giving up yet, and drags beams and planks out of the dusty workshop he found.

Traits:
Sussura chose her new spells, her spell list now looks like this:
Level 0 (no cooldown)
Ray of frost +1 (1d3+1 frost damage)
Ray of blaze (ray deals 1d3 fire damage)
Spark (ray deals 1d3 electric damage)
Read magic (allows you to read any written language)
Level 1 (1 turn cooldown)
Glacial hands (1d3/level, chance to slow oponent down. Max 5d3)
Enlarge person (increase size level of target by 1. Attributes shift accordingly)
Shield (+(MATK/2, rounded down)DEF. Shield has MATK*2 hp. All damage
absorbed by the DEF bonus reduces the shield hitpoints, on zero shield collapses)

Damns picked his first favoured enemy: goblinoids (+1 DAM and +1 on all bluff, spot, listen, sense motive and survival checks on that kind of enemy)

World map link:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Curse of the Gold (Turn 247)

Post by nikohl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:10 pm

"Let me see those word-pages! I will read them!" Sussura gestures to Wants. If he gives her the three different writings, she will cast Read Magic to translate them aloud for everyone.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:11 am

wants gives her the notes "you can read them ?! that's amazing, he akwards pats her on the back and tries to smile something he hasn't done in a long time there are also some strange letters on some of the gouls
he will hand her the items with the letter on it, and wait on a translation before coming up with the next step

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I hope the others posts soon. Any suggestions for the rest? Coats, Strange, Damns,..?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Continue to build a catepault...

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:59 am

"We should go into the shack, maybe there'll be clues as to why the undead are here." Damns approaches the shack door.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:29 pm

"Wants just came from there, he brought me these words to read!" Sussura pipes up cheerfully, before continuing casting her spell to translate the pages.

Nerre
Game Master

Curse of the Gold (Turn 248)

Post by Nerre » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Turn 248
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In the forest:
"Let me see those word-pages! I will read them!" Sussura gestures to Wants as she spots what he found.
"You can read them?! Thats amazing!" he answers and offers her the documents, akwardly patting her on her back. Then both of them notice they are far too large for her too hold, so they both smile and she reads it while sitting on his shoulder.
The two letters basically contain the same info. A list of wells, rivers and other watersources, which the undead should defile. Some are streaked through, probably indicating where they already were.
"We should go into the shack, maybe there'll be clues as to why the undead are here." Damns interrupts them and turns to approach the shack door, but Sussura stops him.
"Wants just came from there, he brought me these words to read!" she pipes up cheerfully, before continuing to translate the pages. Damns recognizes some of the waterbodies as lakes and creeks further north. A bit shocked he explains that some of them flow into the large river running south, through the mountains beside the shrine. Although those creeks do not add much water to the river, it might be enough to contaminate its water.

They also read the sign on the barrel. It tells them them for which river the liquid was destined, and that it came from Westengaard. There is a Signature at the bottom from somebody called Nirian. Beside, there is an icon, an ornamented picture, with a phrase below in yet another language. It says "recurr, spread, rule" on the upper and "Order of Revenants" on the lower ribbon.

"Who might this Nirian be?" Wants asks. "Thats not the name of the mage the undead maybe turned, isn't it?"
"No, that would be Krios." Sussura chirps.
"Yes, Krios the Wanderer, thats what Duke Cedric said." Damns agrees.
Bear, who is still bussy with burning the frozen liquid just rolled the almost empty barrel into the flames, suddenly calls out to them "Erm, guys. You might want to have a look at this."
He rolls the barrel a bit out of the fire and points at the paper on the barrel. One corner is scorched, but the rest almost looks the same as before. Almost. In broad red letters, another text did appear, maybe from the heat.
"If you can read this speak briem nosse attor locor krios - Krios the Wanderer." Sussura translates the writing.

At the orc fortress:
Coats and his spider have squashed and struck down almost all undead, that were not covered by the protruding part of the wall above the gate. Strange meanwhile, continues to drag beam after beam on top of the wall. He has now half of the lumber he needs for his catapult, but still no idea how to build it so it can shoot down.

World map link:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Curse of the Gold (Turn 248)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

duh, with counter weights. should be enough to strike down any remaining zombies from a far.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:07 am

"That sounds a bit creepy. Maybe we shouldn't say it... It could be the verbal trigger for a spell! But it only appeared when we tried to burn the liquid. So is it a trap for those who would upset the undead plan, or a hidden message from a secret new ally? What do you think?"

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 am

that is definatly a trap

i vote we go to the location descre on the map that is closes to us and try to kill the undead there

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 am

"I don't think it's worth testing, so we should send one of us back with the map to inform the others and head over to take a peek. I think this is a bit more important than our previous mission. Who can go though?"