GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Completed, please move)

For all games that are now over.
Post Reply
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat! (Completed, please move)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Caravan Route Under Threat!

GM: Spiderwrangler
Quest-giver: Moric Antos Hadorn, of Hadorn and Sons Haberdashery and Fine Goods
Difficulty: Hard
No. of Questers: 4-6

Objective: Clear out the spiders that have been attacking one's caravans and ruining one's business!
Reward: A purse of gold to anyone who returns alive.
Bonuses: One will pay extra for any valuable silks recovered during the mission.

A note about this game: This game will be more combat-oriented than puzzles and will be text-based (with occasional images when SW fancies making them)
**Since 2/3 of the players are also in my SCH game, you're probably used to this, same sort of idea, I'll have sketches of the area you're in, if you want to look more closely at something, I'll describe/sketch it.**

---------------------------------

Image

"Well, I really only need six of you, so... you, you with the glasses, and the one in the dress, the lurker, the one in the hat, and the other one..." , Moric says, pointing at First, Costa, Remedy, Leaves, Mines, and Steals.

The halfling looks around the GAL impatiently... "I'm ready when you are."
► Show Spoiler
.[tabs:Costa]
Player: Asks
Color:#005500
Gender: Male
HP: 5/5
ATT: 4
DEF: 1
Mudhoney Curse - if he drinks or touches mudhoney he will turn into a badger until the curse is removed.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[tabs: Remedy]
Player: Nerre
Color:#00FF00
Gender: Female
HP: 5/5
ATT: 4
DEF: 0
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

[tabs: First-of-All ]
Player: Nikohl
Color:#008080
Gender: Female
HP: 6/6
ATT: 4 (mace) or 3 (bow)
DEF: 2
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[tabs: Leaves No Trace]
Player: Synch
Color: #747474
Gender: Male
HP: 5/5
ATT: 2 / 2 (25% to miss)
DEF: 1
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Steals]
Player: Theis2
Color:#8000FF
Gender: ?
HP: 5/5
ATT: 3
DEF: 4
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Mines Flagons]
Player: WearsHats
Color:#4080FF
Gender: Male
HP: 5/5
ATT: 2
DEF: 3
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 am, edited 178 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6906
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by WearsHats » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 am

As mentioned in other threads, I'm buying a wooden shield (+1 DEF) from Theis/Steals, and will be bringing it along. I'm assuming that if I equip it as a defensive measure on my off hand, the belt will still give me the attack bonus. (i.e. I still count as unarmed.)

Once that's taken care of, I'm ready to go.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 am

Yeah, I'd say that is still unarmed so Mines would still punch hard with his main hand.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4494
Location: New Zealand

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Synch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:45 am

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Synch on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:00 am

I don't think that there has been a limit placed on what can be carried, other than for items that are too big to hammerspace?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4494
Location: New Zealand

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Synch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:08 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13093
Location: Florida

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:47 am

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6488

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 am

I'm ready except, I want to have my new "Red sword" identified before leaving.
I should have written what I want to take with me and what I want to store.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles
Posts: 4187

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:57 am

Costa is ready to go ! , Does anybody have Any spare defensive gear i could borrow ?

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4494
Location: New Zealand

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Synch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:28 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:25 am

I'm ready, I was hoping to finish crafting and buy potions but it looks like neither of those are going to be possible in time, so.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:40 am

I'm sure if I PM'd Thinks and told her that she was the only thing holding us up, she'd resolve the crafting things that are pending. ;)

However, we aren't yet at that point.

What I do need everyone to do is take a look at the inventories I have in the initial post of this thread and double check that everything is correct. Once we start, whatever is there is official... I tried to keep up with the GAL thread and crafting/storing, but I'm sure that I've missed things. If there are things you don't wish to take, let me know, and also let Badge know in the Trapper Keeper thread (also let him know if you have things that resulted from being combined). If there are things missing, let me know, or things that are statted incorrectly, etc.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13093
Location: Florida

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:27 am

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:24 pm

@Thinks: don't have any corpses, that's why I can't do the potion trade and hadn't tried.. The ex-flashing metal ball was from Patdragon's quest, it was some kind of countdown alarm thing that triggered an attack from guardian bees... He can probably tell you what exactly it was.

@Synch: equipped is right, carried is wrong but I'll be leaving most behind anyway. Of my carry-able items I'll be carrying Burning Wand, Anger Berry, Speaker Stone, Small Bag. The rest will go in storage.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

nikohl wrote:@Synch: equipped is right, carried is wrong but I'll be leaving most behind anyway. Of my carry-able items I'll be carrying Burning Wand, Anger Berry, Speaker Stone, Small Bag. The rest will go in storage.
I'm assuming that was meant for me... you should be good to go now.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Derp yes, sorry. Synch on the brain, was reading his post re: me and Nerre.

User avatar
Nerre
Game Master
Posts: 4832

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:48 pm

@All: Sorry for the amount of OOC here, I feel like a level 1 merchant NPC going to war. :paranoia:

@Synch: If you wanna use the axe yourself, could you lend me something else instead? You offered the axe to Remedy, but I think that was before we got into this together. If you want to use the crossbow and the shield all on your own, could she borrow a dagger at least? The rod is long, heavy and therefore slow, so there might be situations a dagger might be better. Damage is the same for both. Please choose an option:

Option a) Remedy grabs the Berzerkers Axe (+3 ATT, -2 DEF) offered to her and thanks Leaves no trace.
Option b) Remedy borrows the crossbow from Leaves no trace and thanks him.
Option c) Remedy borrows a dagger from Leaves no trace and thanks him.
Option d) Remedy shoulders her tapestry rod. She wished she would have been able to get her hands on a first aid kit in time.

Remedy quickly takes of her dress in her room, as she does not want it to get damaged or dirty, puts on her old adventurer clothes and puts the tapestry rod on her back, not only as a weapon, but also cause you might need it as a tool, sturdy as it is.
"I am ready!" she yells while running down the stairs.

@Spider: Since Remedy only was in the first quest, she doesn't have much gear. She only had a little gold which was just enough to buy the roleplay dress. She also leaves the shoes in the tavern, as they are still filled with wooden feet, so she cannot wear them cause they are "occupied". :)
Since she had no chance to better equip (depending on Synch's offer), do we have a little budget, or are our items all we have?

Well, maybe she gets something out of the combo cube, hope Thinks posts something in time. :D

Really glad I got in, thanks!

User avatar
Synch
Game Master
Posts: 4494
Location: New Zealand

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Synch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Nerre wrote: @Synch: If you wanna use the axe yourself, could you lend me something else instead? You offered the axe to Remedy, but I think that was before we got into this together. If you want to use the crossbow and the shield all on your own, could she borrow a dagger at least? The rod is long, heavy and therefore slow, so there might be situations a dagger might be better. Damage is the same for both. Please choose an option:

Option a) Remedy grabs the Berzerkers Axe (+3 ATT, -2 DEF) offered to her and thanks Leaves no trace.
You're fine with that, I would prefer to use two daggers or the crossbow. My Goblin is more sneaky sneaky.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Nerre
Game Master
Posts: 4832

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:23 pm

thanks a lot!

A healer with a Berzerker Axe...kind of feel like Ears now. :D

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm

The berserker axe will put her at 4/0 in terms of ATT/DEF, just fyi. Hit first, I guess!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Nerre
Game Master
Posts: 4832

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Well, if the -2 DEF only costs me 1 DEF cause there is only 1 DEF, then that is a good price for +3 ATK. :)
She still can switch weapons if it is too risky. We will see, but thanks for the warning.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I THINK we are nearly ready...though I'm short on time to actually kick off right now. Couple questions though. If you don't have the answer, if you can let me know which GM gave out the item, I can follow up with them.

@Nikohl - How does the speaker stone work again? What are the specifics on the anger berry (heals 1HP, then rage?)? What is meant by burning wand ignoring armor but not def?

@Synch - Does the white rat cloak confer anything besides fashion?

@Everyone - I'm assuming that using any active items will be treated as a major action... if that was not the case for anything you used in previous adventures, let me know.

*EDIT: Answers to these questions and any pending crafting we'll resolve as we go. I just need answers before it becomes relevant. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13932

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm

And so the quest begins...

After giving Mines instructions on how to get to the crossroads where the spiders have been ambushing caravans, Moric sniffs and leaves the inn, obviously relieved to be able to return to civilization. Even Ralf isn't spared his disdain, Costa and All are conversing with the gnome as Moric leaves, and they overhear some rather foul remarks directed at the little fellow. Ralf pretends not to hear, but his face certainly reddens a few shades as he thanks them for their gifts and business.


Following the instructions given to him by Moric, Mines guides the other goblins through the swamp, arriving at the caravan route. After quite a bit of hiking, they finally reach the crossroads that were described to them. A newly placed sign reads "DANGER", pointing both to the left and right, where a narrow trail, not much more than an overgrown track heads to either side. To the side of the intersection is a mound covered in silk.

[thumbnail]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/NLacy ... 70-h510-no[/thumbnail]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles
Posts: 4187

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 pm

wow love the art, hand drawn art, it's a long time since if seen that around here

costa walks up to the silk, and carfully checks it for spider or any items of intrest, if there is no danger, he will pull out bloodsong and cut off as many good sized pieces as he can

User avatar
Nerre
Game Master
Posts: 4832

Re: GAL 8: Caravan Route Under Threat!

Post by Nerre » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

You hand drawn art looks similar to mine if I do it on paper. :)

Remedy takes a look at the dark area behind the DANGER sign, left site of the road. What is it? She does not go near, she tries hard to find out by watching it, also watching up, since spiders may climb. Maybe it is a shadow from a spider web above?

Post Reply