Game Ideas Workshop

For all Games related resources.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Game Ideas Workshop

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:21 pm

There aren't any RPing games so far that have really focused everyone on being evil (that I can think of right now at least) so that could be an interesting option?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm

That is a great idea. However, if you've been reading memories or kingdom in rubble there are a few people (myself included) who have tried the somewhat evil route. I feel there would have to be some rules set up...drawing a line on what goes beyond evil to completely wrong.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 am

You could have mechanics in place that favour more general actions (i.e. kill that guy, torture the other) without the need to get too detailed with the actions. I think you're right that there's probably a line that most people would be uncomfortable crossing, and that would drive people away from a game that was too 'hardcore'.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 am

Thinks, i just had a great idea for you that combines several things you seem to have a passion for. You love making games, goblins and the ocean.

So, i suggest Sea-goblins. A more rare kind of goblin that lives under the ocean etc etc etc, take it away. An in-ocean adventure.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:55 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Thinks, i just had a great idea for you that combines several things you seem to have a passion for. You love making games, goblins and the ocean.

So, i suggest Sea-goblins. A more rare kind of goblin that lives under the ocean etc etc etc, take it away. An in-ocean adventure.
I must say this sounds awesome.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 am

Goblins. In. Spelljammer.
+
The Thing(The monster)
+
TWSK

(Spelljammer is 2nd ed DnD in SPACE)
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am

We need a "because you are bored and have nothing better to do than sit on the forums all day" game.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

BadgeAddict wrote:We need a "because you are bored and have nothing better to do than sit on the forums all day" game.
Odd statements is what you are looking for.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:01 am

Or riddles
or the guessing game
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon May 06, 2013 9:17 am

I just had an interesting idea, though it is currently in the state of floating molecules of unformed being(ness)......

The current approach of most games is turns. because you can't all play at once, right? (but could you)

What if you posted all of your actions all at once, for lets say, a stage (given length of time). perhaps each stage contains a total of 5-10 turns. The player posts all 5-10 of their turns, the other players do the same. Then you play all of the actions out, it would be a glorious mess of goblin running into goblin, tripping over other goblins. The "enemy" actions would simply be a set possibly "known" list of things that would happen over the course of the stage, but instead of working through the game slowly, turn by turn, you were forced to make decisions more rapidly and all at once.

The game master would then compile all of the players actions, (perhaps some dice are rolled) and the results posted in a glorious hash-mash chaos with some fun rolled in based on what has happened. Then you would repeat for x number of stages.

This is still very unthought about.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

That might work best if the actions were PM'd and the consequences of said chaos were not fully known, except perhaps the degree of risk involved in doing the same thing as another player or whatever.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:33 am

I know I tend to have alot of ideas, but here is a new or copied take on a game that may or may not already exist. Voting would be, e.g. I vote that 2 pawns should go to the research area. (or something like that)

Everyone can play

(The idea is similar to a board game with meeples)

The game starts with 5 pawns that can be placed in any of the following areas:

1. Research Area (How research works: using materials that it would take to create said item, e.g. pick (1 wood, 1 (stone, iron, wood)) begin attempting to create a usable item. The pick needs 1 successful roll to be built. The chance to build a pick is 75% with a 25% chance to fail. Failing still uses up the resources. More complex items would need more successful rolls to be built. Once invented, said item can be built using said number of items at the builders area if you have enough resources)
a. Research Trees:
i. Tools (Pick, Axe, Shovel, etc)
ii. Equipment (hard hats, lanterns, etc)
iii. Movement (ladders, Elevators, Rail carts, etc)
iv. Buildings (smelter, forge, etc)
2. Masons Area (using tools such as hammers and chisels = collect stone)
a. Amount of Stone collected = (# of workers)┬▓
3. Lumberjacks Area (using tools such as (your hands) & axes = collect wood)
a. Amount of Wood collected = (# of workers)┬▓
4. Builders Area (Build equipment, machines, and other things here)
5. The Mine
a. Available directions to dig
i. Down

Resource stockpile:
Start with 10 Wood, 10 Stone, & 10 Iron

Starting equipment:
Your hands

I'd like to know what people thing before I use more brain power on this.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 am

It seems like it will be slow. It seems slower than Myrmen.

And, at the momement (ATM), it seems rather boring. What I mean by that is, wood and stone, who makes a game about 2 hard professions that sounds like work?

It also seems similar if more structured and less exciting than Myrmen, and several other games that have been on the forums involving goblins surviving in some survival/civilization building simulation. But at least those have usualy had graphics, usualy been more free form, usualy had some challenge that the civ has to meet, and usualy had mystery and monsters. ATM all you have is a dry ruleset.

Worse, your ruleset seems incomplete. If this were a boardgame, players would have access to all of the rules up front, know possible resource tiles, know odds of finding resources, etc to the point where they could develop multiple stratigies toward victory. ATM, they get to wander in your dry rules wondering if it will ever end.

I know I'm harsh here, but you really need something to distinguish your game from the similar ones, and in a way that is not more slow, more dry, more boring. What are the victory conditions? A lot of forum games die. You don't want your game to be so uninteresting and slow that players leave and don't post. This is why games tend to streamline things to get to interesting decisions. What do you expect the player to do after gathering wood or stone, but to use the wood or stone they've gathered? So that second 'decision' tends to be obvious, becoming a non-decsion, and slowing everything down. Similarly, if I want to mine well, I'll probably need a pick, hard hat, lantern, etc meaning my descision to mine slows down to half a dozen 'decisions'. And then if I got more than stone out of it I'll want a forge, and I may need ladders and rail cars to move ore, all of which I'll have to invent, and build seperately = so slow, and as far as I can see so far, not very fun. In a boardgame version, maybe everyone can finish in a few hours. In a play by post version, you are talking months of tedium. So for a forum game, I think it needs a bit more pizaz.

Maybe you could generate some interest by mentioning the name of the boardgame you are converting to play by post.

Tell me something else to change my impression.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 am

I'm not converting a boardgame at all, no such boardgame exists. It was merely an idea, i suppose i didn't realize I would be bent over the table before I had a chance to even take my pants off.

I realize that its incomplete, it seems what you lack is imagination, I'm simply coming up with concepts, not full blown games. If you allow your mind (using brain enhancing drugs, or not) to flow beyond the dry stale crumbly bits that i've scraped together and see a possible outcome, then you're on the right track.

Game ideas workshop, meaning, incomplete concepts that need help...if I had a complete model, I would already have everything written out and have posted something in recruitment.

Also, there are no victory conditions, and there is no point.........I kind of wanted to use the Dwarf Fortress concept of adding FUN into the game. aka = you play until you die.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 am

You are welcome to go for it.

You did ask what people thought. I am a people. I think it will be too slow, so far.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 am

and that is fine, in fact, its so fine that i scrapped it and moved on, so here is my next attempt. and yes there will be pictures. just not yet....

The Assassin

Everyone can play:

Starting cash: 10 gp
Weapon: Fists

Contracts/Jobs available:

A. A local cloth merchant is looking for someone to damage his competitions store and goods.
Reward upon success: 50 gp

B. A local Noble has offered a reward to anyone who is able to return some gems that were stolen from him by a local band of thieves.
Reward: 100 gp

C. There is a corrupt official in the city who has been selling strategic information to the enemy, he must be eliminated. He is constantly protected by a cadre of 4 well paid and heavily armed bodyguards who will not hesitate to defend him.
Reward: 200 gp

The Store:
Currently for sale:
A. Weapons:
a. Punching Dagger (5gp)
b. Thrown Dagger (10ft Range) (10gp each)
c. Blowgun (20ft Range) ( 100 gp)
i. Darts (2 gp each)
B. Other Items
a. Poison, vial (10gp each)
b. Torch (1 hour of light) (1gp each)
c. Lockpicking Kit (100 gp)

Okay, so here is how it would work, first, obviously, you vote/pick the contract and weapons you want if you want any (majority rules)

so, lets suppose that contract A is chosen.
► Show Spoiler
You approach under the cover of darkness

Insert image of store, what do you do (most agreed with suggestion wins)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 am

It could be good. It depends. We need more info about char creation, skills, rolls, and the combat system. And you might broaden it beyond Assasin to underworld. I'm tring to say, imagine rival 'gangs' in control of the various city sins, and the character is a junior member in one with hopes to move up. This allows for work to come down from the current gang, repair work to come up from messed up jobs below, and contract work. It also opens up: theft, extortion, smuggling, gambling, drugs, gang warfare, in addition to the murder for hire.

I'm thinking the spread is too small (difference between equipment + risk cost and reward). B could reward double. C should probably be 600, at least, and the player better be able to hire thugs of his own.

You'll need to settle the existence and kind of magic before game start, as that can have a huge impact on how murder is done, whether it stays done, and how much evidence can come back at the player. You may also need to figure out something about the local police structure before game start. Do they care what happens in certain parts of town? And the player needs to know some of this stuff so they don't trip over something their character would normaly know. The Vlad Taltos series is an interesting look at an underworld operation, where the world has its own magic system (or at least some of the earlier books, before Vlad gets caught up in big magics). How much support help can the player expect from their gang (name of a fence, thugs, bribery, jail break, warehouse, safehouse, etc)?

You might want to add more weapons: club, sap, oil flask, etc. Maybe crowbar for the times that you don't care that they know you entered. Somehow, the player needs to be better than most if not all of thier opponents. In d&d backstabbing +d6s and asassin % try to even the playig field, except against other PCs or NPCs with char levels.

Depending on how railroading you want to be as GM, you may also need to provide top down drawing of target areas, to represent scouting, and allow players to plan and choose among: back entry, front entry, windows, side entry through a shared wall, etc. If a target can flee, that is bad. If the only way shown is more visable than other potential ways, then that is a railroad.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 am

Well, i suppose I was going with the, only 1 character existence philosophy, not multiple. And I was thinking about coming up from nothing into something, So true, "the assassin" may limit the future potential. Though I wasn't thinking modern-day city, more dark-ages/Renaissance era.

Character creation....hmm, Perhaps you start as a street urchin, or orhpan (normally the same), basically the dredges of society, and sadly, growing up in such an environment, only the way out is normally through the list you mentioned, theft, extortion, smuggling, etc...

I will put some more thought into it...

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah Urchins, well the trick is when do you 'start' with them? Very young and they are probably beggers, pickpockets, 2nd story men, snatch and grab, runners for a gang, or distractions for multi-man pick pocket teams. Only as they get older do they move into murder, extortion, etc. Their size chages as they grow, and so does their intellect. Can't run the odds as a bookie until you can count well, probably write, and have a bit of a reputation. Is the urchin getting by on food alone, or were they pulled into a gang already? Start age limits certain missions. Murder is probably easier if the kid has already seen it, otherwise it is pretty cold of an individual to take such a job.

Unfortunately d&d did not do a good job for the kinds of bonuses that kids could have, so you'll need your own model if you start young enough.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 am

Wolfie's Game Idea

Character creation: 2 fighter, 1 cleric, 1 wizard, 2 ranged

Each person will create a character with a background and desired build. Characters start off as a member of the community, not remembering who they were. Over three days their memories come back and they must go on an adventure to a) find the members of their party and b) figure out WHY and WHO did this to them.

Setting: Ora (a setting that I created with a friend for a story a while back)
Bladesburg, population: 500

community character before memory returns:
Blacksmith
Baker
Teacher
Farmer
General Goods
etc

Stats:
HP:5
ATT: 1
DEF:1
GOLD: 5 ea
Cleric: knows Heal (1), regen 2 rounds
Wizard knows 1: Fireball, Shield, Greater ATT (1), Greater DEF (1)

There will also be chances to buy and find items, as well as increase their magical repertoire.

Help I know I need: Art. I was thinking for the map area, I can redraw my map and create the town and outlying areas and use "tokens" to show where each character is. I can draw the rooms and places and still use the tokens. For battle, I'm going to need help.

Any other suggestions? Questions?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am

What does "regen 2 rounds" mean? How is shield different from greater Def? Can the wizard basicaly cast 1 spell / round all day long? And presumably NOT need a spellbook? How do you intend for the 2 ranged to reaquire bows? (Make one a fletcher /bowmaker.)

If the wiz can cast 1/round all day, and if the cleric can't cast 1/round, then the wiz is better than the cleric. Also, with fireball the wiz does better than the ranged. So, you might swap a ranged for a rogue. With 6 chars, the cleric really needs to be able to heal 1/round all day long, or better. You might consider adding another spell or 2 to the cleric to better balance with the wizard.

Um, you might add a hp or def to the fighters to compensate them for not having cleric and wiz spells, since ATM the latter 2 are just as tough as the base fighters.

You might want to be a bit more specific than teacher. What does the teacher teach and to whom?

And, you might want to consider the effects of 6 people with professions suddenly leaving the community (in shambles and disarray), which at least assumes that whatever magic made them forget themselves was somehow also able to integrate them INTO the community in the first place. The blacksmith needed a shop, forge, anvil, hammer, and stock. The farmer needed a field, probably a draft animal, probably some tools, and either seeds or already growing crops. Etc. These kinds of things don't just come from nowhere. If the teacher is multidisciplinary, and teaching kids age 5-18, and suddenly leaves, that heaves the community in a lurch. Not to mention losing a blacksmith if they only have 1. Are all 6 chars single (unmarried)? As adventurers that might be common, but as commoners that would be rare. OR, you could ignore this as not relevant to your story and handwave it away into the background or more magic it away. But the characters might themselves care, and might find it odd even if people suddenly start forgetting about them as they regain old memories.

But, in general I like the setup and think it might make for an interesting game.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:What does "regen 2 rounds" mean? How is shield different from greater Def? Can the wizard basicaly cast 1 spell / round all day long? And presumably NOT need a spellbook? How do you intend for the 2 ranged to reaquire bows? (Make one a fletcher /bowmaker.)
Regen 2 rounds means it'll take 2 rounds to get the spell back.
Shield is personal, Greater Def would be cast on an ally
The wizard would also have either regen/round costs or a spells per day allotment. (I just didn't put them in)
Each character will have the opportunity to either buy items or find the chests that have their equipment in it. There will also be opportunities to find better items along their journey.
If the wiz can cast 1/round all day, and if the cleric can't cast 1/round, then the wiz is better than the cleric. Also, with fireball the wiz does better than the ranged. So, you might swap a ranged for a rogue. With 6 chars, the cleric really needs to be able to heal 1/round all day long, or better. You might consider adding another spell or 2 to the cleric to better balance with the wizard.
I'm thinking of bumping the cleric to heal 2 hp per spell with only a round in between uses. There will be items and use upgrades available as the game goes on.

There will be only 5 characters, I just wanted to give them a range of characters to choose from. The numbers are max amounts of characters available. (I.e. only 1 cleric and 1 wizard in the group, but there could be 1 fighter and 2 ranged). I will add a rogue class availability.
Um, you might add a hp or def to the fighters to compensate them for not having cleric and wiz spells, since ATM the latter 2 are just as tough as the base fighters.
I'll give them a higher DEF and ATT, plus their equipment will help with this. Plus, the ranged will have a greater ATT with a bow than a sword, while a fighter would have a greater ATT with a sword or club.
You might want to be a bit more specific than teacher. What does the teacher teach and to whom?

And, you might want to consider the effects of 6 people with professions suddenly leaving the community (in shambles and disarray), which at least assumes that whatever magic made them forget themselves was somehow also able to integrate them INTO the community in the first place. The blacksmith needed a shop, forge, anvil, hammer, and stock. The farmer needed a field, probably a draft animal, probably some tools, and either seeds or already growing crops. Etc. These kinds of things don't just come from nowhere. If the teacher is multidisciplinary, and teaching kids age 5-18, and suddenly leaves, that heaves the community in a lurch. Not to mention losing a blacksmith if they only have 1. Are all 6 chars single (unmarried)? As adventurers that might be common, but as commoners that would be rare. OR, you could ignore this as not relevant to your story and handwave it away into the background or more magic it away. But the characters might themselves care, and might find it odd even if people suddenly start forgetting about them as they regain old memories.
The characters will be working with other members of the community, so when they leave, it won't upset much. The blacksmith will be a worker in the blacksmith's shop, not THE blacksmith. The farmer will be a field hand, not THE Farmer. Etc.

The entire town has been magic'd to believe these 5 have been here for a long time. Something will happen to make them all wake up, albeit slowly.
But, in general I like the setup and think it might make for an interesting game.

Thanks. I know it needs lots more work.. but I'm liking the framework.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:44 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Thinks, i just had a great idea for you that combines several things you seem to have a passion for. You love making games, goblins and the ocean.

I have Goblin Pirates in my current game of D&D! Great fun!
All hail the power of the stick!

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes. And then we can drive her insane by getting absolutely everything wrong. Sea snakes are not poisonous, whales and dolphins are fish, coral is fish poop, etc.

I would be down for this idea though.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:40 am

Getting everything 'wrong' isn't really an issue in a fantasy world :-) regardless though its an idea I've played with a bit - might try an escape type version of a fully underwater or piratical theme on e the other games wrap up.

I was looking for some more normal quest hook ideas for a city im building up for a 4e d&d campaign though. The idea would be a couple of larger quests running through the whole campaign, but I'm looking for some side quest ideas to keep them distracted / on the wrong track / to lighten things up if you giys have any suggestions? Stuff like wanted posters, local thievery rings, fetch & carry quests etc. Starting point is a small city in a river valley so there can be loads going on.