Game Ideas Workshop

For all Games related resources.
Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: Game Ideas Workshop

Post by Borys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Well... I'm totally too lazy and angry to make this assignment once again, after it was done...
And I don't wanna sit there without any fun!
So... I want to start my first game soon...
I have a question:
Should I make new thread for it? Because first step is creating character and stuff, so should it be in:
Resources, games or recruitment?
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Well... a functional way, (that the mods are okay with) is to create a thread, talking about the game! in Games (This will later be either the recourses thread or just an OOC thread)
When ready, write in that thread that recruitment is open, and make a thread in recruitment. at the same time, change the name of the original thread to add, OOC: now recruiting.

When you then have the players, and are ready to start, make a new thread for the game.
(remember to link to all of them in the first post of all of the 3 threads)

Thats the way I like the most :)

but else, you can simply make an recruitment thread and make some commercials in the Random thread :).
-Best regards LAYF

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't recruit characters, it's opened game like your first Going back, but character is created sort of like in Escape! (all credits to Thinks).
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Then I'd just make a thread in Games and nothing else.. :)
In those cases, you should keep resources close to the body...
-Best regards LAYF

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks, I think I'll start instantly.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 am

Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 am

I see :)
You might want to put an "open for all" or "recruiting" something behind the name :) will make more see it :)
-Best regards LAYF

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 am

since the manor is dead

I had this idea about a forum game about this one dude and sevral alternetive realities of this one dude played by diffrent players....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 am

that could be cool :)

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 am

I have suspicion what could have inspired you.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am

nah not that.... braincel killing crush pain did xd
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 am

Okay, So I'm thinking about starting a game on my own. I have most of everything that i need to get started, but i would like to hear some opinions and/or interest in it before i throw up a recruitment post.

World of Conquest

This is an Exploration/World domination type game with a sprinkle of humor. As opposed to most games which demand that you follow these specific rules, this game encourages and rewards you when you think outside of the box.

The glimmer of madness twinkles in the eyes of the Great Kings as he declares his desire to rule the entire known world. In order to reach this goal he forcibly retires all of his old generals and has promoted a handful of new ones from various backgrounds.

You play the role of one of these new generals and have been given an army of troops of varying skills and types in which to help your king conquer the world.

Please assign your character a name, gender, color and a back-story that explains why the king would choose you of all people, though due to his madness this doesnÔÇÖt actually have to make sense.

You are given an army of 5,555 soldiers of various types and must fight battles and claim cities and countries in the name of the Storm King.

Each army consists of 5,000 Soldiers, 500 Archers, 30 Workers, 20 Scouts and 5 Wizards. On your journey you may find other people and/or creatures that might be willing to join your cause. As general, you may split your troops into smaller units and move them however you want.

Soldiers: 2 Atk / 2 Def (per 500) (Starting Attack = 10, Defense = 10)
**Archers: 3 Atk / 1 Def (per 100) (Starting Strength = 15, Defense = 5)
Scouts: 0 Atk / 1 Def (per 1)
**Wizards: 5 Atk / 1 Def (per 1) (Starting Attack = 25, Defense = 10)
**Workers: (Workers have 0 atk and 0 def, but can build and operate weapons or defenses which can change this)
Other: More will be added to this list over time.

Notes:
*Scouts can only effectively work in groups of 5 or less.
**Archers and Wizards may attack targets 2 spaces away from themselves. Depending on what they build, Workers may also gain a ranged attack.

Each Round a player may:

Move: Each army has a base movement speed of 3 spaces on flat terrain. They can move 4 spaces on roads and 1 space on difficult terrain.

Attack: Once within range of a town, city or opposing army, you may attack. (This is typically a rating system of Your Atk/Def vs. Their Atk/Def.

Spend Points: Each player starts with 20 points. Points are gained through successful attacks as well as in other ways or given by the King. Points donÔÇÖt need to be spent, but help in small ways throughout the course of the game. Performing an action other than Move or Attack will cost 1 point (ex: Diplomacy, Intimidation, Bribery, etc)

You will start as one of the three following nations, please vote on the one you want:
Elves: Your starting location is the Great Tree, Speed in forest is 4 and Elf archers have 3 Atk / 2 Def
Dwarves: Your starting location is the Great Mountain, Speed in mountains is 4 and Workers have 4 Atk / 4 Def (per 10)
Humans: Your starting location is the Great City. Revolutions are over on the same round that a city is captured.
*Goblins: Your starting location is the Great Cave. When capturing a city, you may only pillage it. Every smoking ruin of a city generates 1 point every round which the Great King will doll out equally to every general. Your army has 9,990 Goblins. Your Goblins can do almost anything be it workers, soldiers, scouts or archers as long as you have the equipment needed to perform the task. You also have 10 Magic Goblins = 10,000 total Goblins. Every Goblin has 1 Atk/1 Def. Your starting equipment is 100 crappy swords (+1 Atk) and 100 crappy bows (+1 Atk), more and better equipment can be found in your travels. *(As this is the Goblins forum, I felt I should include this, but note that this will be against all odds.)

Other stuff:
Revolutions: When you conquer a city, the people are disgruntled for 1 round. You will need to keep at least 1,000 soldiers in the city for that 1 round. You may spend 1 point to skip this.
Captured Cities: The king will begin earning 1d6 points per turn from each captured city per round. These points are then dispersed among the generals with the person that captured the city always getting at least 1 point.
Pillaging: If you donÔÇÖt want to deal with disgruntled people, you can just sack and loot the city. This gains you 1d6 points but leaves the city as a smoking heap of rubble.

Please be aware that the lands that you are attacking are not stupid. When an army of your size moves into their lands they will react. This reaction may be them instantly attacking you or it may be them asking you to leave. Also, understand that after the first few rounds, other nations will begin noticing your expansion and build up their defenses, neighboring countries reactions are completely dependent on what you do.

(If you have ever played Sid MeirÔÇÖs Civilization, you will notice that the game is similar in some ways to this. When conquered, cities will revolt, forcing you to get them under your control, though you could just kill them all.)

Thank you for your opinions.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am

IMHO, players of this game need some intelligence. How may players will you have? What is the total size of this mad king's army? What does a map of the world look like? What are the sizes of the neighboring armies? How long are 'turns'? Will the mad king have enough army left for himself that players don't have to defend him, just their new conquest? In your game system, does the army need to be paid, supplied, or trained? Will you have siege combat? Will you have naval combat? Since you have magic, will you have an air force? Are monsters 'real'? Etc. Without that info, that a person in game would have some idea of, players are playing blind.

PS, I conquered Japan over the weekend in the war game Sekigahara.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am

These are good questions, I have answers. I'm thinking about 4 or 5 players max. Total size of the mad kings army is however many people play, because, as his generals, you'll be doing all of the fighting. A map of the world..is well, big. I don't want to show it to you, because there will be a fog of war in effect so that you don't know everything. But, i can tell you there are about 3 or 4 continents and a few island nations.

You last question is the easiest to answer, What are the sizes of the neighboring armies? - This is why you have scouts. If the game ever starts, I will be giving the "strength" of the countries that directly touch the starting one, otherwise it will be up to you to find out. Notice i mentioned thinking outside of the box. I'm not telling you everything you can do in the game because the sky is the limit. It is not open ended, it will end at some point, but how you conquer the world is completely up to you.

What other questions do you have TTW?

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:55 am

I had a few more questions above probably while you were typing.

Look, I understand a need for scouts, they tell you composition of forces and where, but starting not even knowing your neighbors army size to the nearest thousand seems a bit unrealistic to me. Same on the map. Players should at least know the local geography. Why choose elves if we start in a desert, for instance. Why go in all directions if we start on a penensula, for instance.

Here is another question. Assuming losses in combat, how will the players recruit more troops? This is a game system question, for which a poor answer is 'talk it out and I as GM will decide if I like your effort'. That can be your answer, but I will still think it is a poor answer.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 am

Okay:
How many players will you have? 4 or 5 max, 3 minimum
What is the total size of this mad king's army? depends on how many people play, assume that the king can defend himself, he's mad, not stupid.
What does a map of the world look like? You will be starting on a 'known" continent. Known meaning, you will know what it looks like. You will also know the strength of neighboring countries.
What are the sizes of the neighboring armies? Neighboring countries have towns, villages and cities of various sizes, but they will only ever have one capital city. So i gave this some thought just now and it will happen like this: You will be given a number which is the total army size of the neighboring countries (with a very tight tolerance), for countries that do not touch yours, you will be given a number (with a looser tolerance). However, scouts are still important because although you know how big their army is, troops can move from city to city making it difficult to know exact numbers. (I may make scouting a major option as opposed to point spending for it, as it is turning into an important factor)
How long are 'turns'? turns or rounds will be like this. Update will be every other day as long as 1 minus the total number of players have submitted what they want to do.
Will the mad king have enough army left for himself that players don't have to defend him, just their new conquest? Assume this to be yes.
In your game system, does the army need to be paid, supplied, or trained?
Will you have siege combat? By expressing the fact that your workers could build weapons of war, yes and no. You will say what you want to build and i will assign it an Atk/Def. This will add into your totals for attacking things. Combat is simple though, nothing overly complex. More of their numbers minus your numbers. (Though depending on the terrain, your tactics if you want to use any, etc this could change)
Will you have naval combat? You will need to do something to cross the oceans, so, you will have to find a way to cross them, the easiest of this will be boats. I wasn't planning on having naval combat though, so no.
Since you have magic, will you have an air force? You have magic, thus, you have anything you want to have, though an air force could also be flying monsters, see answer below.
Are monsters 'real'? : This is a fantasy world so yes.

So my attempt here was to create a semi-simple/complex game. Simple in the fact that its fairly straight forward, complex in the fact that you are able to "think" of different ways to solve your problems.
If this seems to "loose", then i can settle into a more simple game type and remove the complexities.

(combat losses): So, yes, there will be combat losses, though i haven't completely hammered out how that is going to work. This is where points come in though. Along your journey you may run into random events. (imagine a 5% chance to run into random encounters) which allow you to spend you points in taming a bunch of trolls, or unicorns, or whatevers.

Understand that I haven't completely figured everything out, this a work in progress, an idea. If people like the idea, then i would feel more motivated to finish it out.

To make this more interesting and comical, I may eliminate the race options and give you only Goblins.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am

An example of combat between 2 armies of different numbers and strengths would be helpful. Even if it is Atk*number of attackers - def*number of defenders, that still leaves questions of numbers of casualties.

Sekigahara, for comparison: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2502 ... n-of-japan
In it, I know blocks of enemies and their locations, but I don't know their strengths, their loyalties, and may not even know the loyalties of my own troops. In it, there is a recreuitment mechanism. In it, there can be casualties on both sides of a fight. There are simple siege rules. There are simple retreat rules. And I still have at least 3 major types of units in a simple yet elegant system, not counting leaders.

I supose you may wait to see if anyone else is interested or has questions before you work on this further. I do encourage you to work on it further. My questions come from playing other war games, so I see potential issues that IMHO should be resolved at the start.

Hell, Risk, as simple as it is, is at least complete.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am

seeing as how this is aptly named game ideas workshop, i am eager to hear how i can change things to make it make sense.

The thing I'm not willing to change is the base idea of generals. This is a god game, without gods. More like, a fantasy version of risk, though bigger than just attacking territories.

Here is an example of how the cities/countries will work:
Each color denotes a different "kingdom". The red lines denote "Kingdom" borders.
► Show Spoiler