Lore for my next game(Help needed)

For all Games related resources.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Lore for my next game(Help needed)

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Hay guys, So Im planning for a game Im going to make (much) later. And It need a lot of planning. Some of the planning is lore, And for some of it I need some help.

What I need is the names of Good and Bad sites and/or characters in religion..
Lets say Christianity have the heavenly host and the armies of hell, they have Michael and Asmodeus, and they have the prophet and the false prophet.. Now, Im not sure on any of this, its just quick net search for now.

So how and why do I need your help?

Well, properly in may ways... But for now...

IÔÇÖd love if you guys would be so kind as to tell me about the name and characteristics of ÔÇ£sidesÔÇØ, ÔÇ£personsÔÇØ or ÔÇ£HappeningsÔÇØ in religion you know of. So that I can use that lore. Say:

Yama:
Hinduism
Neitehr good or bad.
lord of death. In some interpretations of Hindu sacred texts, regarded as the first mortal to die, and chart his way to heaven. Depicted in classical Hindu icons as a large man astride an enormous black buffalo, carrying a coil of rope. He is accompanied by a pair of tremendous hounds, with four eyes, and gaping nostrils. He is considered, in Hindu consciousness to be the harbinger of death, as well as the companion who guides the soul to its ultimate destination

Samael
Christianity
Evil(But part of the heavenly host)
king of the wicked, Evil Archangel of death. Is both a seducer and a destroyer.

That kind of thing.. Would any of you help me?

So.. Yea this will be your chance to affect one of my coming games.
I do not care what religion the good/bad things come from but I need it.

Ill also use this Thread if I need other things later Thanks in advance guys
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Lore for my next game(Help needed)

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Moved as requested. :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:49 pm

-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Hmm. loggia.com seems to have disappeared, but does pantheon.org give you what you need?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Nice link.. It sure gives me alot of info to work with... Thank you :)
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 pm

I have an opinion. If you don't know religions well enough, you will get some things wrong and offend some people. If, OTOH, you are going to make stuff up (being wrong), you might as well go whole hog and NOT use the names that do mean things to people. Make up your stuff from scratch. It will be better for not obviously borrowing.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Hmm... That is true... I'll have to give that thought...
-Best regards LAYF

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 am

There's a list of numerous Gods from all over the world and History by name, although that's just about all the info supplied about them http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gods_Chris ... believe_in
MOst of those names aren't linked to other pages but for those you'd just need to google them for decent info.

Otherwise, there's a link to a WIki article that lists Deities here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities that you can follow to look for names of Gods and such by like classification and Cultural sphere.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Do you only want actual historic gods or would some created ones do? Because I have a few gods I have formulated for DnD that I could give you.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 am

Fictional is just as good :) if not better :)
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 am

Hay all, I just wanted to give you a small sample of what this game is really about.
So.. IÔÇÖve read up on a big pile of religious stuff, taking it, molted it, changed it and then taken some things from it again, so if you find passages from or things that reminds you of other religions, please donÔÇÖt take offend, it is all meant as a game.
You├©ll be able to find a PDF HERE which contains some information on stats, an introduction and a quick sample of how the supernatural powers work in this game.

Now, if you donÔÇÖt want to open a PDF, or cannot read the Introduction text (itÔÇÖs in a different font) IÔÇÖve copied the Introduction into the spoiler below.

What IÔÇÖd love is for people to come with input, ideas and such. So that I/we can make a game with a rich lore and many possibilities. Any ways... Hope you enjoy the read.

Best regards -LAYF-
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am

You mixed up intelligence and wisdom.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 pm

This won't affect the game that much, but you didn't capitalize Heaven and Angel. The main reason I am mentioning it is that you capitalized Hell and Devil, so the others should be too. It was one of those things, I kept seeing it, and it bothered me. Took me out of the reading.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:43 pm

You do have a couple of misspellings, but you probably suspected as much.

Also, your scheme could be summarized:
1, good and evil were together.
2, there are 6 kinds of outsiders: angels and demons in 3 disconnected realms: heaven, hell, and this place.
3, they feed off of prayer.
4, men now have power.

1 is problematic. I'd probably cut it entirely, particularly since it seems mostly backstory.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:You do have a couple of misspellings, but you probably suspected as much.

Also, your scheme could be summarized:
1, good and evil were together.
2, there are 6 kinds of outsiders: angels and demons in 3 disconnected realms: heaven, hell, and this place.
3, they feed off of prayer.
4, men now have power.

1 is problematic. I'd probably cut it entirely, particularly since it seems mostly backstory.
Spelling.. Yea... I Know (or guessed as much) but wont fix this yet... not before i'm more done...

Ah well.. yes, mostly to 2-4... but 1 no.. not exactly....

There were no good and evil, simply two diffrent kind of outsiders with features we as humans now define as angels and devils, they had no consept of good and evil, these were made by man, and trough mans prayers, "infected" angels and devils... devils, who were mostly from hell, got most of teh negative enegies, since man found the "images" of hell's forges and heat to be a place of "evil" and the palaces and light of heaven sounded "good" to man, and so the angels, who were mostly from heaven godt most positive energies...

2. Yes... But only the angels and devils of this realm will be playable.... each grouped into varius "houses" defined by a basic sets of belives and traditions... But players will be able to be a group of mixed angels and devils from varius houses (Think world of darkness here)

3. Prayer, fear, worship and other human emotions directed at them, but mostly those willingly directed at them....

4.Some, few, it was long time ago that men was given this power (It draws inspiration from moses powers in egypt and similar characters through time) but most men are without power, and do not belive in it.. (A little dependend on hte time, as I'll write the setting to fit as bot medieval, renasance and modern i think...)

SamWiser wrote:This won't affect the game that much, but you didn't capitalize Heaven and Angel. The main reason I am mentioning it is that you capitalized Hell and Devil, so the others should be too. It was one of those things, I kept seeing it, and it bothered me. Took me out of the reading.

Will fix that.. they are all supposed to be capitalized... Thanks :)

gamecreator wrote:You mixed up intelligence and wisdom.
Hmm.. I guess i know what yo mean, but no... Intelligence, is in most cases still and undefined trate, thet even modern scientists disagree on. put in most games it is conected with knowledge.
Wisdom on the other hand has a clear definition: To see past the obvius, to decipher truth from stories and puzzles and see lie's in scheams... so... Nope.. did not mix those up...

Thanks for the quick response all... and sorry if there are even more spelling errors in this than normal... but im on my phone....
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:man found the "images" of hell's forges and heat to be a place of "evil" and the palaces and light of heaven sounded "good" to man
Those hell and heaven seem like technological and ecological society to me. :D
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
gamecreator wrote:You mixed up intelligence and wisdom.
Hmm.. I guess i know what yo mean, but no... Intelligence, is in most cases still and undefined trate, thet even modern scientists disagree on. put in most games it is conected with knowledge.
Wisdom on the other hand has a clear definition: To see past the obvius, to decipher truth from stories and puzzles and see lie's in scheams... so... Nope.. did not mix those up...
Huh, I haven't expected languagegaming culture making difference here.
Last edited by gamecreator on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

1 is STILL problematic. Now, you can handwave and babble it all away, but it does not make sense if you do. Lets take a simple example. A man murders another. Is that evil? The answer is yes, and it is yes whether or not you say 'good and evil were once 2 sides of the same coin' or 'man invented evil. Evil did not really exist before man.' Murder was evil before, and murder remains evil. And if you try to quibble away from that, then all I have to do is amp the example up until you either agree that some things are always evil, or you come off sounding quite depraved yourself.

So ask yourself, do I really need an origin story for evil? Because right now, that origin story, and most any other you wil come up with, will be flawed. I suggested earlier that your 'out' is to ignore 1. Assume evil exist now, as we know it, and have fun populating your world with fantasy monsters. Another 'out' is to avoid the good evil conflict entirely and postulate that the main conflict is on a different axis. Law chaos was well done in the Elric books. I've even seen a funny square versus funk axis.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote: Lets take a simple example. A man murders another. Is that evil? The answer is yes, and it is yes whether or not you say 'good and evil were once 2 sides of the same coin' or 'man invented evil. Evil did not really exist before man.' Murder was evil before, and murder remains evil.
Obvious answer is that murder came with man.
ThroughTheWell wrote: And if you try to quibble away from that, then all I have to do is amp the example up until you either agree that some things are always evil, or you come off sounding quite depraved yourself.
Let's go to Controversy? Or, at least, PM.
ThroughTheWell wrote: Assume evil exist now, as we know it
Isn't this implied by introduction?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:1 is STILL problematic. Now, you can handwave and babble it all away, but it does not make sense if you do. Lets take a simple example. A man murders another. Is that evil? The answer is yes, and it is yes whether or not you say 'good and evil were once 2 sides of the same coin' or 'man invented evil. Evil did not really exist before man.' Murder was evil before, and murder remains evil. And if you try to quibble away from that, then all I have to do is amp the example up until you either agree that some things are always evil, or you come off sounding quite depraved yourself.

So ask yourself, do I really need an origin story for evil? Because right now, that origin story, and most any other you wil come up with, will be flawed. I suggested earlier that your 'out' is to ignore 1. Assume evil exist now, as we know it, and have fun populating your world with fantasy monsters. Another 'out' is to avoid the good evil conflict entirely and postulate that the main conflict is on a different axis. Law chaos was well done in the Elric books. I've even seen a funny square versus funk axis.
Sorry--- but... I cannot agree with you... A wolf killing a hare, or even anorther wolf in the battel for dominance is not evil, it is simply an animal. In this world, Angels and devils did not, at any time even battled each other before humans came around, Hell and heaven was two diffrent sides of one great world, hell a "forge" wher ethings were created and changed. heaven a "place" where ideas and rules were made.. .but nothing was evil or good...

Today (in game) Evil and good truely exists, and fight each other violently.. evils numbers are greates amon devils and in hell, as well as good has most soldiers among heaven and angels.. but good devils exists in hell, and evil angels exists in heaven... and both on earth... because the ideas of men has "infected" angels and devils... and since most humans (but not all) finds the images of a devil and hell to be evil, hell and devils are mostly evil, and most humans finds the visage of angels and heaven good, and thus, most angels and heaven is good.... but not all...

gamecreator wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote: Lets take a simple example. A man murders another. Is that evil? The answer is yes, and it is yes whether or not you say 'good and evil were once 2 sides of the same coin' or 'man invented evil. Evil did not really exist before man.' Murder was evil before, and murder remains evil.
Obvious answer is that murder came with man.
ThroughTheWell wrote: And if you try to quibble away from that, then all I have to do is amp the example up until you either agree that some things are always evil, or you come off sounding quite depraved yourself.
Let's go to Controversy? Or, at least, PM.
ThroughTheWell wrote: Assume evil exist now, as we know it
Isn't this implied by introduction?
Thanks GC.. and in most sittuations I'd agree with you that this belongs in hte controvercy forum.. but... Its nice to have here... as it can be used in the game that i desing.... but I agree with you.. and if the Admins (or game mods) want it moved to controvercy.. I'll take it there... but until then.. I'll accep arguments for both here...
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 pm

PM sent. You will probably disagree with me. I think it is time for me to go. Have fun telling another story. I look forward to continuing to read your other works.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Erm, LAYF, have you ever read the webcomic called "Avengelyne" ? I didn't read through your documents but this heaven and hell fight reminded me of the first impression I got from this thread.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu May 02, 2013 1:37 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:Erm, LAYF, have you ever read the webcomic called "Avengelyne" ? I didn't read through your documents but this heaven and hell fight reminded me of the first impression I got from this thread.
Nope.. but I'll look it up :)
-Best regards LAYF

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Do you take homebrew for this. Cause my group came up with a god that's been a major player in most of our Pantheons. I'll post it here if you like.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri May 03, 2013 1:10 am

Sure :) the more the better....
-Best regards LAYF