Kore Discussion / Speculation

Discuss the comic here!
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Kore Discussion / Speculation

Post by SamWiser » Mon May 20, 2013 10:16 pm

In the page in question, Kore says that he knows the Bladebeard clan and they are honorable. It seems that he thinks that the child is good, and in no way seems like he thinks the child is evil. Only that he may sympathize with evil. He isn't acting on evil, he is acting on potential evil. That leads him to do something evil. That child was most likely good, and he was killed because he might one day, possible empathize with evil.

Also, it had been said before that Good and Evil aren't subjective in DnD. Kore didn't hesitate to kill Chief and attack the rest of the goblins, even though they were good. Big Ears especially is telling, because BE is Lawful Good. He has to be as he is a paladin. Kore actively tried to kill a fellow paladin. That is in no way good, and is certainly evil. Even if his detect evil power is on the fritz then he should have been able to figure it out soon enough.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 am

Well, we know that Hawl the trader is a good and honest guy.
He adopted a kid that would otherwise have had to fight on it's own.
That makes him VERY GOOD on my scale.

And please, before you repropose that Kore knows that the kid Targoth is evil, please reread the according passage here and here

Also, Good/Evil is NOT relative. The characters reacting to Kore make that obvious.
Ho knowingly killed a kid that is at maximum a "potential evil", therefore not a proven evil!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 am

currently_awake wrote:What if Kore KNEW beyond any doubt that the dwarf child he killed was EVIL beyond redemption? If he truly believed that then his killing the child makes sense. If his armour was cursed to make him see everything as either very good or very evil then his actions make sense. Sort of a confusion spell, only it makes him detect evil from anyone who violates a very narrow code of conduct. Since he never kills/harms GOOD creatures he keeps his paladin status.
Again, for a while I thought that maybe Kore's detect evil ability was just somehow on the fritz, but the incident in question shows that this isn't the case. He killed him because he thought that he might grow up to sympathize with evil. Whatever is going on with Kore, I think we can safely throw away any theory that involves relativism or Kore having greater moral clarity than anyone else in the THuntverse. Something has to come back to the curse/blessing.

shufly
Remains Silent

Post by shufly » Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

this might be a bit off topic, but if kore meets kin now, how would he react? As far as i can tell, she lost all of her tail, and would now look like a person who lost their legs. Would he know that she isn't human?

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu May 23, 2013 3:35 pm

shufly wrote:this might be a bit off topic, but if kore meets kin now, how would he react? As far as i can tell, she lost all of her tail, and would now look like a person who lost their legs. Would he know that she isn't human?
I think the green hair is a give away

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Humans are the most evil!

zennyrpg
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by zennyrpg » Thu May 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Kin only has 3 fingers, so looking at her hands you'd see she's not human.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Mutants too!

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu May 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Do mutants exist in DnD?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Imagine by Kore
(this song is dedicated to Psi max and his oblivion machine)

Imagine no more villians
It's easy if you try
No seeds of evil,
Around us only good,
Imagine all the people
Living without fear...

Imagine there's no monsters,
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no witches too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join me
And the world will be as one

Imagine no demonics,
I wonder if you can
No cause for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join me
And the world will live as one

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Do mutants exist in DnD?
Wizards do them.

Serious: depends how fiddly you want to be about the term "mutant". There's not a table in the back of the DMG for mutations during reproduction (erm, that I'm aware of. The DMG1 has that Random Harlot Table, so anything's possible, and there was some conversion between Gamma World and AD&D, I believe), but a DM can just say that some monster was a result of a mutation. IIRC, some accounts of the Drow origin said the strange magical radiation of the Underdark gave them their black skin, which could be called a mutation, albeit through magic.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Great song Kore, but wouldn't you want to kill Psimax? After all, he did conspire with a Kin at some point, and that means that the seed of evil now rests in him. Don't you want to go all double crossbow on his purple but?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

SamWiser wrote:Great song Kore, but wouldn't you want to kill Psimax? After all, he did conspire with a Kin at some point, and that means that the seed of evil now rests in him. Don't you want to go all double crossbow on his purple but?
Psimax has the wisdom to see the seeds of evil in him and others in maze of many, and the pain and suffering they cause, and that the only solution is to eliminate all the seeds of evil. Thus he is a hero and ally, I don't need to eliminate the seeds because he will.

Perhaps others infected by evil or born as evil monsters will be inspired by Psimax' heroic example and eliminate themselves and the evil around them as well. For example Kins could take off their collars to make a great evil destroying explosion.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 am

If it helps, I'm pretty sure I heard on the evertide livestream that the level on Kore's card 14... I'm fairly sure that G:AR is canon up til you start playing it
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:37 am

It is, but DnD veterans already knew that when he healed Chief.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 am

BuildsLegos wrote:It is, but DnD veterans already knew that when he healed Chief.

Actually it's when he casted 'Holy Sword' which makes him -Minimum- a 14th level paladin.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:31 am

Krulle wrote:Well, we know that Hawl the trader is a good and honest guy.
He adopted a kid that would otherwise have had to fight on it's own.
That makes him VERY GOOD on my scale.

And please, before you repropose that Kore knows that the kid Targoth is evil, please reread the according passage here and here

Also, Good/Evil is NOT relative. The characters reacting to Kore make that obvious.
Ho knowingly killed a kid that is at maximum a "potential evil", therefore not a proven evil!
Nope, they are evil and needed to be killed. That child would have led to monsters ruling the world. Kore is the only reason why our (Goblins) reality is still good unlike most.

EDIT: lol not misters.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:22 pm

boneguard wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:It is, but DnD veterans already knew that when he healed Chief.

Actually it's when he casted 'Holy Sword' which makes him -Minimum- a 14th level paladin.
Also, the card on the comic page background shows Kore as level 14.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Are you referring to a GAR card? Tarol has said that the classes/levels on the cards do not necessarily correspond to the classes/levels in the comic, for purposes of game balancing.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Dang it. My corroborating evidence fails its credibility check and takes 2D6+4 burn damage.

sharkbob
Remains Silent

Post by sharkbob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 am

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but has anyone considered that Kore could be an alternate Forgath from the Maze of Many?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:47 am

How would Koregath get out of the MoM into #156 though? He would naturally be returned to his own.

apotato
Knows Everything

Post by apotato » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:45 am

RidcullyJack wrote:How would Koregath get out of the MoM into #156 though? He would naturally be returned to his own.
because the jade teapot sends you to whomever you want it too? it wasn't likely designed around people thinking about alternate realities and it currently resides in a nexus of sorts. the better question is why would an alt forgath want to be in 156?

i still querry why the jade teapot is still in the MoM if innumerable realities are there strictly to collect it? the MoM either has alot of them or nobody has taken it so far.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 am

apotato wrote:
RidcullyJack wrote:How would Koregath get out of the MoM into #156 though? He would naturally be returned to his own.
because the jade teapot sends you to whomever you want it too? it wasn't likely designed around people thinking about alternate realities and it currently resides in a nexus of sorts. the better question is why would an alt forgath want to be in 156?

i still querry why the jade teapot is still in the MoM if innumerable realities are there strictly to collect it? the MoM either has alot of them or nobody has taken it so far.
My assumption is that there can be one Jade Teapot per reality. And the same as the other treasures. My question is how Kin's tribe knew about the Jade Teapot and its powers when it's stuck in the MoM? If it used to be in their reality, how did it wind up inside the MoM?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:49 am

I believe Kin said that the teapot used to belong to her clan. She also said that they were studying the MoM. My theory is that a few Yuan-ti took the teapot and went into the Maze. After several failed tries, they teleported out using the teapot. They couldn't take the teapot with them, and they didn't reset with the maze. This would account both for Kin's quest, and for her knowledge of the MoM.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett