I didn't make you write on the board.

Discuss the comic here!
Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

I didn't make you write on the board.

Post by Kennerly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 pm

This forum is merely a gathering for those anticipating the next update, which will should come soon.

[mod="RocketScientist"]Making fake comic threads is not allowed.
Please see Forum FAQ Section "On new updates" Rules #2. Thank you.[/mod]

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

Re: 29 Jan 2014 - the longest day

Post by Archerd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Thunt's version of soon is the same as Blizzard Entertainments.

They both produce quality work, I've almost never been disappointed, and I will likely be a fan forever. . . But I've learned not to hold my breath waiting for something to come out on time.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: I didn't make you write on the board.

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Thunt was in the ER with chest pains a few days ago, and has been in and out of the hospital several times since. Please give him a break. Thank you.

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

Post by Archerd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Pretty sure I was complementing his work, and making a valid comparison - not attacking him or whining. I've been reading for over half a decade and in that time it's never been a stellar track record. My point was I'm OK with waiting because I've always enjoyed it.

My apologies if you misinterpreted my post.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:44 am

I'm glad you enjoy his work. I'm just saying that discussing his track record is not entirely relevant to this particular instance.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 am

27th till 29th, considered "today" according to the update button. I feared something might have happened. :(

Get better, Thunt, hope it is nothing serious!
:zzz:

Pjerrot
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pjerrot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 am

OOTS and Goblins are the only online comics I've followed for years. OOTS updates when it are ready. It works.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 am

The Tweet of Thunt wrote: The update will definitely be up today. I'm 2 days behind due to 2 nonconsecutive days of being in the hospital (I'm fine, just angry).
10:23 AM (PST)- 29 Jan 2014
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 pm

(Cheers and Yay)┬▓ for him out of hopsital and the update announcement. Why is he angry? Private thing or did he mention it?
:zzz:

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Nerre wrote:Why is he angry? Private thing or did he mention it?
He didn't say. I'm glad he's alright though. He might be angry b/c of all the time lost on not being able to update.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Uff, that's a load off my mind. I was kinda worried there with Thunt being in hospital, but the Canadian healthcare system again proved to be superb :D
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:43 pm

PUNY HEART TRY TO STOP THUNT FROM DRAWING? MAKE THUNT UPDATE LATE? NOW YOU MAKE THUNT ANGRY!

THUNT SMASH!!

...UHM, MAYBE SMASHING OWN HEART NOT GOOD IDEA...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 pm

:lol: I can imagine seeing this in his twitter :lol:
-Best regards LAYF

jrhather
Remains Silent

Post by jrhather » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Pjerrot wrote:OOTS and Goblins are the only online comics I've followed for years. OOTS updates when it are ready. It works.
I wish he'd just kill the damn timer already. Longest. Today. Ever.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Im so tired of people giving him crap for updating late.

I mean seriously? There is no way that kind of pressure CANT be partially blamed for inducing some of his stress.

I just wish there was a way to convince him that it was ok to update whenver he wanted to. Im sorry THunt is mad and I wish I could make it better.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:57 pm

No one gives Thunt more crap for a late update than Thunt.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 pm

True. Most of us have suggested he give it a month hiatus so he can catch up and give himself a bit of a buffer but he won't have it.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

Sockmonkey wrote:... a month hiatus so he can catch up and give himself a bit of a buffer ...
But that's not what would happen. He'd take a month off (a WELL DESERVED month off), but truly OFF!!! As in, no catch up, no buffer. Then when he returns, well refreshed and all -- too many people would be all over him, expecting that buffer that wasn't about to happen because "he was on vacation, people!"

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 am

its sad that this is true steve.

The only solution to this problem is to remove the demanding element of the community. But who the frak is that (been watching bsg)? I have to admit I find myself going "come on man, where's my update" at times.

We are guilty of loving this comic too much. Or being asses about updates. Pick whichever one applies.

Either way, there probably isnt a solution to this. :(
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 am

SGTdude wrote: Either way, there probably isn't a solution to this. :(
Yes, there is. Remove the schedule. Rich Burlew has worked OoTS like this for years and he's hugely successful, both in terms of fanbase and revenue. Sometimes there are up to 3 updates in a week, sometimes you go on for a month without a peep. Speaking for myself, these long hiatus only make me slightly disappointed. And that, I think, is largely because there's no expectation whatsoever, there's no "implied promise" to update on a certain day.

I don't make a habit of coming to the forums or twitter to rage about late updates in a free webcomic (I definitely would if there was subscription fee), but it has always been a popular (and touchy) subject here and frankly, I can relate to the complaints, if not always to their tone, because if we're to be honest, Thunt is an amazing artist and a superb storyteller, but he's never been half as good when it comes to keeping a schedule. I learned to get used to it, but never quite understood why he needs to keep an announced schedule. He should one for himself, by all means.

Anyway, my humble suggestion would be to remove the schedule and forbid the creation of topics concerning update tardiness, because the thing that annoys me the most about this place isn't the late updates, it's the all too common vitriol stemming from these topics (coming from both sides, mind you).

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:33 am

For a long time THunt couldn't go without a schedule because (I believe) Blind Ferret wouldn't let him. Now he isn't working with them anymore, so I think he could go without a schedule now. Still, I don't think he will go without a schedule, but who knows. Maybe he'll do it someday.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:53 am

The schedule is also for himself.. to hold him back... If he did not have it, he would just keep adding and adding to each page! he loved detail... far more than what he already put into the pages...
-Best regards LAYF

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 pm

stevedj wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:... a month hiatus so he can catch up and give himself a bit of a buffer ...
But that's not what would happen. He'd take a month off (a WELL DESERVED month off), but truly OFF!!! As in, no catch up, no buffer. Then when he returns, well refreshed and all -- too many people would be all over him, expecting that buffer that wasn't about to happen because "he was on vacation, people!"
I'd wager he'd go nuts taking true time off for more than a few days.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm

mustache_man wrote:
SGTdude wrote: Either way, there probably isn't a solution to this. :(
Yes, there is. Remove the schedule. Rich Burlew has worked OoTS like this for years and he's hugely successful, both in terms of fanbase and revenue. Sometimes there are up to 3 updates in a week, sometimes you go on for a month without a peep. Speaking for myself, these long hiatus only make me slightly disappointed. And that, I think, is largely because there's no expectation whatsoever, there's no "implied promise" to update on a certain day.

I don't make a habit of coming to the forums or twitter to rage about late updates in a free webcomic (I definitely would if there was subscription fee), but it has always been a popular (and touchy) subject here and frankly, I can relate to the complaints, if not always to their tone, because if we're to be honest, Thunt is an amazing artist and a superb storyteller, but he's never been half as good when it comes to keeping a schedule. I learned to get used to it, but never quite understood why he needs to keep an announced schedule. He should one for himself, by all means.

Anyway, my humble suggestion would be to remove the schedule and forbid the creation of topics concerning update tardiness, because the thing that annoys me the most about this place isn't the late updates, it's the all too common vitriol stemming from these topics (coming from both sides, mind you).
Do you have any idea how badly people would lose their sh... stuff if we started forbidding certain topics? We already have one person in the current update thread who thinks this is an oppressive atmosphere, and compared the mod team to Davd Koresh. Which... I'm not sure whether that means that I'm a god or that I should be stockpiling weapons, but anyway.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:10 am

RocketScientist wrote: Do you have any idea how badly people would lose their sh... stuff if we started forbidding certain topics? We already have one person in the current update thread who thinks this is an oppressive atmosphere, and compared the mod team to Davd Koresh. Which... I'm not sure whether that means that I'm a god or that I should be stockpiling weapons, but anyway.
Losing their sh*it, as you put it, is commonplace in these sort of topics. Sometimes a post is made to complain about late updates and its not written in a friendly mood, then it goes downhill. Sometimes it IS written in a friendly mood and overzealous members take upon themselves to defend Thunt's honor (We shall allow no slight! No sir!) and downhill it goes.

If you wish these topics to remain popping up, it's up to you, the other mods and Thunt, I suppose. All I was saying is without an official update schedule (which does not in any way prevent Thunt from having his own schedule), there would be no valid reason for people to complain about late updates. Maybe that alone would at least limit the number of these topics. I'm not talking about a completely new idea and I'm not saying it was not met with resistance (rabid or not) when it was implemented. I'm saying it seems to work now and even when Rich goes a month without updates (sometimes with no explanation, mind you) the forums don't erupt with rage (unless said eruption is swiftly contained behind the scenes).

Anyway, there is a solution in my view. It might not be the best, it might not be popular and might not even work. But clearly the current model doesn't either (in this particular respect), so a NEW thing might be what's needed.

As for the oppressive atmosphere critique, I'm going to be blunt and say I feel the same way about this and it has nothing to do with the particular episode you refer to (that was just an overreaction to a joke, that wasn't really good, but not that big of a deal). The "oppression" to me always stemmed from the fact that every critique to Thunt (and his update frequency has been a sore point even back in the day when drawing was not his actual job) is taken as a personal insult from a great number of his fans. Sometimes I get the impression that whenever someone writes a post that does not heap praise upon the author (whether or not is reasonable or constructive), that instead of writing a post in an internet forum created to discuss the comic (imagine that!), they drove to his house, kicked down the door, slapped his wife on the ass and proceeded to beat him up and rob him. That topic has come up before and Thunt himself had to write about it at least once. Granted, that has subsided, maybe thanks to the mods. Don't know, don't really care, but it's a good thing either way and maybe my opinion of these boards will change over time.

I'll shut up about it now.