11 Jan 2014 What are we Watching

Discuss the comic here!
raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Re: 11 Jan 2014 What are we Watching

Post by raaabr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Actually, Forgath getting hit in his helmet reminds me of his remark on this page: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11182005/

Is that considered a "Brick joke"?
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Well as far as Brick Jokes go, I will be extremely disappointed if a future page does not show a gray-armored Minmax reaching for Oblivious, and a speech bubble coming from the portal reading "AAAA MINMAX ASSFACE I HATE YOU!"
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:46 pm

willpell wrote:Well as far as Brick Jokes go, I will be extremely disappointed if a future page does not show a gray-armored Minmax reaching for Oblivious, and a speech bubble coming from the portal reading "AAAA MINMAX ASSFACE I HATE YOU!"
That curse out of nowhere will make me laugh even more than this page. Bonus points if Minmax has already forgotten why he shouted that.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:18 pm

It's times like this where I wonder about the intelligence of the player running MM. If he's roleplaying the dumb, he does it well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:It's times like this where I wonder about the intelligence of the player running MM. If he's roleplaying the dumb, he does it well.
For a long time I have been trying to figure out of the player behind MM is great at roleplaying or terrible at it. I can't quite figure it out, but I think he's great. Or maybe he's just an idiot. That's possible too, but I think he's really good. The story arc with Kin, and his recent actions with Forgath tipped the scale in the good roleplayer direction.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:19 am

SamWiser wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:It's times like this where I wonder about the intelligence of the player running MM. If he's roleplaying the dumb, he does it well.
For a long time I have been trying to figure out of the player behind MM is great at roleplaying or terrible at it. I can't quite figure it out, but I think he's great. Or maybe he's just an idiot. That's possible too, but I think he's really good. The story arc with Kin, and his recent actions with Forgath tipped the scale in the good roleplayer direction.
I like to imagine that at first he wasn't a great one; he made Minmax in terms of how to be as powerful as possible. Then over time he got sucked into the story and grew increasingly involved with his character until he doesn't think in terms of metagame at all anymore.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 am

stevedj wrote:
Sidewaysgts wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:the color of the porthole isn't a magic effect color. It is just that you can see the background through the porthole. So, I guess that it shows that he is in the dungeon crawl the next time he draws his sword.
Thats actually probably a good sign. Id wager that if the fight between kore/forgath DID go badly, not much would stop minmax from jumping in to try and help- But the observation that he doesnt draw his sword again until the background is heavily dominated by a color thats no where in sight seems like strong evidence that minmax doesnt do such a thing.
Just an added thought to the color change in the final Oblivious grab... Is it possible that the grey hand grabbing it wasn't the same armor... but rather that fancy gloved-hand thing from the Hammace? ...as in, MinMax was using it for some purpose? ...and with MinMax using it, perhaps a sign that Forgath doesn't have it (or need it) anymore? ...and in, Forgath is dead???

I really prefer the thought that MinMax says Grey as some point, but just wanted to point out this alternative. :'(
Too many fingers

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: 11 Jan 2013 What are we Watching

Post by Rorrik » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 am

kida wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
vector010 wrote: Possible with 11 actually.
Yes, I should have said 'ten more moves'... that was the best I could see.
At this rate Forgath will be gone way before the ten moves are over...
How would you run a situation like this in a game? If you have a plan already, or are very quick, you should be able to make several moves a round. But then there's thinking time.

I think I'd just try to push the fight fast enough that the real time for each round is equal to the in-game time for each round, that or cover the puzzle with a piece of paper after the first 6 seconds of each round, but that approach doesn't take into account character intelligence and wisdom. All around, a hard scenario to actually run in a game.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 am

I had this thought over the weekend after reading this comic:

Imagine what it will do to us readers when we see the scene where MinMax lets go of Oblivious, and doesn't grab it from the future. Oblivious just hangs there.

I've only been able to come up with one scenario that doesn't involve MinMax dying immediately afterwards: if he uses Oblivious to pin an otherwise immortal/unkillable being into place and then leaves it there so they're trapped.

Also, no matter what the scenario, Oblivious is going to be one hell of a wonder in the future, even if MinMax dies of old age. The sword that just hangs in mid-air that no one can move. I wonder if there's any way anyone can gain the use of it after MinMax?

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 am

Middle image in the bottom row - there is blood on Oblivious and it's not Complains' blood.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 am

WastesTime wrote:Middle image in the bottom row - there is blood on Oblivious and it's not Complains' blood.
I don't seen any blood on Oblivious, but the portal did change color. It's an orange/tan color in the rest of the comic, then a darkish-red for the last portal-grab. I don't know how significant that might be.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 am

I see a reddish background, but nothing on the blade. I see what might be a small red spec near the hilt, but that would have had to gotten on there during this scene. Maybe it is a mistake, or maybe it is from MM's wounds.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 am

Master TMO wrote:I don't seen any blood on Oblivious, but the portal did change color. It's an orange/tan color in the rest of the comic, then a darkish-red for the last portal-grab. I don't know how significant that might be.
The sun is setting, so maaaaaybe a portion of the sky will be this color when MM draws it again. More than likely, though, they will be in a different setting when he draws it again.

Between the IMEs, the portal background colors and the chameleon armor, it can be difficult reading this comic as a colorblind person.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: 11 Jan 2013 What are we Watching

Post by stevedj » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 am

skyeater3 wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:It looks like the GAP has made their first move, mountain to the right.

Does that create a 'win' in less than 10 moves?
1. Mountain Right
2. Glove Down
3. Tree Right
4. Ring Down
5. Eye Left
6. Tree Up
7. Star Left
8. Key Down
9. Tree Right
But, there are 4 goblins. Can't they each take a turn each round? If so, that's 4 moves per round - so they should be able to complete the puzzle in 3 rounds, with a couple goblins still having an action... :cheer:

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 am

Master TMO wrote:
WastesTime wrote:Middle image in the bottom row - there is blood on Oblivious and it's not Complains' blood.
I don't seen any blood on Oblivious, but the portal did change color. It's an orange/tan color in the rest of the comic, then a darkish-red for the last portal-grab. I don't know how significant that might be.
Look at the little dot on the cross-guard. It wasn't there on two pictures before. And of course the background is changed so we can assume that they will encounter something right after entering the Maze. That or Minmax is going to fight Kore in the setting sun which would explain the color of the background, as someone already said.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

MapsGroxily
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MapsGroxily » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am

On the topic of the blood on Oblivious: It has to be from this scene because the only oblivious teleport that's not from this scene is the very last one and the blood is on it *before* it goes through, so it had to come from minmax's wound on his hand.

Anyway it looks like Kore is a powerhouse - he's taken what looks like neck damage from the rope (as he's bleeding) and his axe has been chipped but he still has no problem ripping through Forgarth's armor like it's paper. Not to mention he's probably very, very angry because they messed with his beard. Insane paladin or no, you do NOT mess with a dwarf's beard.

Another creepy factor is the damage to Forgarth reminds me of a certain Alternate...

And lastly, the door in the second panel has a ring and an evil looking eye... this is probably a stretch, but Desolation of Smaug anyone?

Ulalume
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Ulalume » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am

I could be wrong, but I think the blood on Oblivious might have already been there, and its absence may have been a coloring error. If you look here, there was already blood on the spot that appears in panel 11.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 am

Great catch WasteTime - and even better detective work Ulalume ...

Maxpowers13
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Maxpowers13

Post by Maxpowers13 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 am

Minmax is defiantly a good role player, one who has played many times before with an innate understanding of the rules.

Minmax is just a great character, what if Minmaxe's own ass face comment comes out of the portal at an inopportune time though :(

trubbol
Voices Opinions
UStream Username: Trubbol

Post by trubbol » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 am

This does not seem realistic, but I can imagine Forgath and Kore just stopping for a second too to be confused/appreciate the level of brilliance Minmax has achieved here.
Hey guys! I draw art and stuff, and will probably have something new more often than not! Look here! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=460&p=130673#p130673

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Master TMO wrote:I had this thought over the weekend after reading this comic:

Imagine what it will do to us readers when we see the scene where MinMax lets go of Oblivious, and doesn't grab it from the future. Oblivious just hangs there.

I've only been able to come up with one scenario that doesn't involve MinMax dying immediately afterwards: if he uses Oblivious to pin an otherwise immortal/unkillable being into place and then leaves it there so they're trapped.

Also, no matter what the scenario, Oblivious is going to be one hell of a wonder in the future, even if MinMax dies of old age. The sword that just hangs in mid-air that no one can move. I wonder if there's any way anyone can gain the use of it after MinMax?
I think something that can act from outside their plane with enough power to rewrite things could manage. Perhaps a god or one of his/her direct subordinates. After all Psimax was confident he could rewrite the rules of the sword he just had to see the universal coding in action more or less. This was possible because he was insanely powerful and acting within a small dimension so an even more powerful god should theoretically be able to do the same thing I would think.
While I prefer to think like you do that it will end up being a mysterious floating artifact one day I find it more likely it'll just disappear outside time entirely when Minmax dies. The final time hole just won't have Minmax's hand pulling it through from the future. Thinking about it some more it could be the only reason it goes through those holes is because Minmax pulls it through and you'd be right.
Gods I hate time mechanics.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 pm

SamWiser wrote:
I would say he is a bad roleplayer. A good roleplayer would know to sit back and shut up as their coplayer is having their moment in the spotlight.

And for Forgath, that sadly is not much. Minmax sure knows how to take space.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Baeronvonbleat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baeronvonbleat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Generic wrote:
SamWiser wrote:
I would say he is a bad roleplayer. A good roleplayer would know to sit back and shut up as their coplayer is having their moment in the spotlight.

And for Forgath, that sadly is not much. Minmax sure knows how to take space.
But to that effect, he made a valiant effort to help, but ultimately is keeping at his post and not getting involved. Which is in character AND letting Forgath have the limelight.

Have to say, the look of resignation on MM is pretty epic at the end.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:48 pm

raaabr wrote:Actually, Forgath getting hit in his helmet reminds me of his remark on this page: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11182005/

Is that considered a "Brick joke"?
well in some house rules, a helmet adds AC, but only against an opponent's roll to verify a critical hit. So it's really more of a Chekov's Gun

I guess you picked your avatar pick on porpoise?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Thunt on Twitter at 01:35:10 PM January 14, 2014 wrote:I'm adding a line of dialogue explaining that if Minmax drops the cage section, there is not enough room to work on the puzzle door.
I dont know where that line might fit, but that is a help in understanding as to why MinMax is so helpful to his most hated enemy ... if you call the way MM is hating Complains an enemy, it feel like he more like a hobby hating - perhaps a better name would be "my most favoured object of dramatic overacting enemyhood" for example ...
Last edited by Tofu on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.