1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Discuss the comic here!
Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Re: 1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Post by Master TMO » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 am

I reread both of the prophecies, and I'm thinking that this bridge showdown is not going to be Forgath's swan song.

- no explicit serpent around right now. I'm in agreement that Complain's IME tail is a scorpion's, not snake.
- No friends around to become enemies, except MinMax, and I don't see MinMax turning on him simply because he's trying to buy them some time.
- No love to fuel hate, unless you count the friendship between MinMax and Forgath, or Complains/Thaco's relationship. Maybe Big Ears + One Eye, but I think you're stretching if you think Big Ears is going to give in to hate. He's had so many good opportunities that he's passed up that I don't see it happening.

Adzuroth
Remains Silent

Post by Adzuroth » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Except, I'm not wrong... falling damage is NOT capped in THunt's universe... remember this scene? Forgath would not have given damage at 35d6 if it were capped.[/quote]

Ummmm.......either Thunt forgot about the 20d6 max falling damage or the laws of physics operate differently in his universe. The theory behind max falling damage is that air friction will kick in once you reach terminal velocity, preventing you from falling any faster. The only way to increase that damage is if you were already falling at an incredible velocity, like anything entering our atmosphere. If that's the case you won't have to worry about hitting the ground because you'll burn up in the atmosphere (unless you have some form of fire resistance).

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:38 pm

And I think we are all wondering what Kin is doing. She's too sharp to let this get past her. She's likely to go for broke, realizing she's abandoned her partners to go off with misformed versions of herself. The Kin who can't remember ANYONE who has died may lead our Kin to realize she has a memory gap about why she and MM are seeing through each other's eyes, and she may risk removing the collar to regain her powers, then hide the teapot as she uses it to teleport to MM's location.
If she does that, she will be confronting Kore, maybe over Forgath's bleeding body. We've never seen Kin with her collar off; she may actually take him down. Most likely he'll kill her or even take her prisoner. Least likely is that he actually gets the story from the goblins about the Viper Clan and joins up with Our Gang.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:41 pm

If Kin was still feeling Minmax's emotions from inside the Maze, do you think she would be feeling his future when she left? It won't work like that; she's cut off until she exits, which has already happened.

Incidentally, the optimism needed to believe Kin will suddenly appear and save the day is...grotesque.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:16 pm

stevedj wrote: Except, I'm not wrong... falling damage is NOT capped in THunt's universe... remember this scene? Forgath would not have given damage at 35d6 if it were capped.
All these flashbacks make me think; Thunt's art has improved amazingly over the years. I would like to thank him for not joining the large faction of comics creators who have noticed how much better they are now, and put the strip on a long hiatus while they go back to redo the first few hundred pages.
"O Heracles! The valor of man is vanquished!"
- Archidamus son of Agesilaus, King of Sparta, when @ 350 B.C. he first saw a catapult shot

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm

WhichWayDidHeGo wrote:ke me think; Thunt's art has improved amazingly over the years. I would like to thank him for not joining the large faction of comics creators who have noticed how much better they are now, and put the strip on a long hiatus while they go back to redo the first few hundred pages.
Hehe... he has noted.. he hates his old art (I love it, memories and a nice proof of what one can accomplish )
But he is also fantastically true to his story... He believes in it and love it..
I believe that this steel will to keep it as he wrote it makes it good... yes, we do not always get what we want, but we get what the story is! raw and true, death and consequences...
-Best regards LAYF

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm

WhichWayDidHeGo wrote:
stevedj wrote: Except, I'm not wrong... falling damage is NOT capped in THunt's universe... remember this scene? Forgath would not have given damage at 35d6 if it were capped.
All these flashbacks make me think; Thunt's art has improved amazingly over the years. I would like to thank him for not joining the large faction of comics creators who have noticed how much better they are now, and put the strip on a long hiatus while they go back to redo the first few hundred pages.
Or did an entire series reset, like Accidental Centaurs...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:38 am

Adzuroth wrote:
SteveDJ wrote:Except, I'm not wrong... falling damage is NOT capped in THunt's universe... remember this scene? Forgath would not have given damage at 35d6 if it were capped.

Ummmm.......either Thunt forgot about the 20d6 max falling damage or the laws of physics operate differently in his universe. The theory behind max falling damage is that air friction will kick in once you reach terminal velocity, preventing you from falling any faster. The only way to increase that damage is if you were already falling at an incredible velocity, like anything entering our atmosphere. If that's the case you won't have to worry about hitting the ground because you'll burn up in the atmosphere (unless you have some form of fire resistance).
(color emphasis added by me...) You confirm my point precisely! :D

I originally was really just trying to point out, that Kore could easily take even as much as 50d6 damage from who-knows-what and still survive. Perhaps if he falls, he does it Wile E Coyote style... falls 200 feet and slams into a ledge, which then breaks off and he falls another 200 feet, onto sharp pointy spikes! :lol:

ETA: Or, he could fall down Homer Simpson style!

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 am

stevedj wrote:
Adzuroth wrote:
SteveDJ wrote:Except, I'm not wrong... falling damage is NOT capped in THunt's universe... remember this scene? Forgath would not have given damage at 35d6 if it were capped.

That is not, however, confirmation. Forgath was correcting Minmax's math, not verifying how much damage he would take. There is no direct evidence that you can actually take more than 20D6 from a fall in Thunt's world.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Adzuroth
Remains Silent

Post by Adzuroth » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 pm

stevedj wrote:
Adzuroth wrote:

I originally was really just trying to point out, that Kore could easily take even as much as 50d6 damage from who-knows-what and still survive. Perhaps if he falls, he does it Wile E Coyote style... falls 200 feet and slams into a ledge, which then breaks off and he falls another 200 feet, onto sharp pointy spikes! :lol:

ETA: Or, he could fall down Homer Simpson style!
I'm not sure which edition I saw this in but I remember reading somewhere that if you take too much damage from a single source you must also make a system shock roll to survive. Otherwise you are right- all characters with enough hit points to survive a fall from that height will look just like Wile E. Coyote's famous falls, including the part where he gets up, dusts himself off and walks away like nothing happened. Funny but not very believable. Then again this little debate may be pointless if Kore never falls off the bridge......I guess we'll find out in the next few days. :wall:

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 am

Many editions actually have such a rule. In 3e it was take 50 or more and you must make a Fortitude save or die. I seem to recall it was DC 15, which means mostly that you only fail when you roll a 1. It is one of those rules I never used in my own games. Nothing is more frustrating than loosing a character because you rolled a 1 while you still have 99 hit points left ;)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:59 am

I don't read the Discussion forum as often as I probably should, so if it's been discussed/discounted already then sorry, but... Next time Kore tries to deploy his shield, isn't it going to yank really hard on the rope that's still inside the shield and his neck? Like, damagingly hard? :S

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am

nikohl wrote:I don't read the Discussion forum as often as I probably should, so if it's been discussed/discounted already then sorry, but... Next time Kore tries to deploy his shield, isn't it going to yank really hard on the rope that's still inside the shield and his neck? Like, damagingly hard? :S
From what we've seen regarding healing effects, it appears that any foreign bodies within open wounds are expelled by the effects of potions and magical healing. While there may still be a piece of rope in Kore's armor and shield, the parts in his body would've been removed when he used "Lay on Hands" on himself.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 am

Liesmith wrote:
nikohl wrote:I don't read the Discussion forum as often as I probably should, so if it's been discussed/discounted already then sorry, but... Next time Kore tries to deploy his shield, isn't it going to yank really hard on the rope that's still inside the shield and his neck? Like, damagingly hard? :S
From what we've seen regarding healing effects, it appears that any foreign bodies within open wounds are expelled by the effects of potions and magical healing. While there may still be a piece of rope in Kore's armor and shield, the parts in his body would've been removed when he used "Lay on Hands" on himself.
Remember how PsiMax looked in those frames when he was quite surprised that he couldn't splishk MinMax #38?

Well, I'm hoping that we see a similar reaction from Kore when he next tries to deploy the shield, and it doesn't move because of that rope... :lol: Yea, I know, the helmet is in the way... so I'm really hoping Forgath does indeed successfully sunder it in two first!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Madfox11 wrote:Many editions actually have such a rule. In 3e it was take 50 or more and you must make a Fortitude save or die. I seem to recall it was DC 15, which means mostly that you only fail when you roll a 1. It is one of those rules I never used in my own games. Nothing is more frustrating than loosing a character because you rolled a 1 while you still have 99 hit points left ;)
Yeah that "save or die" thing can be very frustrating for players and oddly unsatisfying for DMs too ... we've always tended to ignore that sort of thing in our games
All hail the power of the stick!

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 am

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:
Madfox11 wrote:Many editions actually have such a rule. In 3e it was take 50 or more and you must make a Fortitude save or die. I seem to recall it was DC 15, which means mostly that you only fail when you roll a 1. It is one of those rules I never used in my own games. Nothing is more frustrating than loosing a character because you rolled a 1 while you still have 99 hit points left ;)
Yeah that "save or die" thing can be very frustrating for players and oddly unsatisfying for DMs too ... we've always tended to ignore that sort of thing in our games
Thats one of the reason they changed poisons from "Save or die" to "Save or take stat damage" and gave you multiple tries to shake off the effect.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 am

stevedj wrote: Remember how PsiMax looked in those frames when he was quite surprised that he couldn't splishk MinMax #38?

Well, I'm hoping that we see a similar reaction from Kore when he next tries to deploy the shield, and it doesn't move because of that rope... :lol: Yea, I know, the helmet is in the way... so I'm really hoping Forgath does indeed successfully sunder it in two first!
Ah...every time I see that face, I get so happy. I would love for Kore to have a similar moment of "What the BLURGHGGH!"
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
WhichWayDidHeGo wrote:
Or did an entire series reset, like Accidental Centaurs...
Or restarted the entire comic with the same characters in different roles in a different story, and then let it die before it gets interesting, like Catena Manor...
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

grizzled grizzle
Of Few Words

Post by grizzled grizzle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:49 pm

First of all, without 3 arms, Forgath couldnÔÇÖt wield both the H-staff and handaxe, so it was good to bring it down to a Hmace again, at least that made attacking possible. ItÔÇÖs also good that he didnÔÇÖt attack with two weapons without the two-weapon fighting feat, since that would have put him at -6/-10 for not having the feat, +2/+2 for at least having a light weapon on the off-hand, but then a -4 non-proficiency penalty for using a martial weapon (handaxe) without the feat. so, it would be a total penalty of -4+H/-5, +2 for his 3 cleric levels leaving him with most likely only a natural 20ÔÇÿs chance to hit Kore, since he most likely did not choose a very high strength...

What I seem to see is that Forgath turned the Hstaff/glove into Hmace, but with the glove still holding the axe, making it a super powered weapon against Kore, considering the +7 for the axe plus whatever pluses the Hmace has, plus using both hands to wield the mace, which gives him 1.5x his str bonus...

One reason for Minmax to be holding the gate up instead of letting it fall and trying again later is if the gate was impossible for the rest of the crew to raise, it may have required a crit success, and for speed of getting out of there, that is the best position for him to be in...

The goblins seem to have made a big mistake moving the mountain... it was 6 moves to get the key under the tree before (assuming multiple tiles moving in the same direction is as fast as moving a single one), now itÔÇÖs 7, although there are ways of saving face and not moving the mountain back where it was... I'm kinda disapointed in the analysis of... professionals..?!?

Anyway, in a less mathematical vein, I wonder if it's Kin's emotions affecting Minmax's telling Forgath to not die/leave him(her) alone, and if she got the hug back as well? That'd be quite efficient there...

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 am

grizzled grizzle wrote:What I seem to see is that Forgath turned the Hstaff/glove into Hmace, but with the glove still holding the axe, making it a super powered weapon against Kore, considering the +7 for the axe plus whatever pluses the Hmace has, plus using both hands to wield the mace, which gives him 1.5x his str bonus...
As others have said, strictly speaking in 3e the same type of bonusses do not stack. Both weapons provide an enhancement bonus and hence do not stack with one another. Of course, both are near artifacts not exactly following standard D&D rules and ultimately no DM has to stick to the rules of the game ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Madfox11 wrote:As others have said, strictly speaking in 3e the same type of bonusses do not stack. Both weapons provide an enhancement bonus and hence do not stack with one another.
He only refers to it giving 'combat bonuses', but doesn't specify what those bonuses are, yes?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Madfox11 wrote:As others have said, strictly speaking in 3e the same type of bonusses do not stack. Both weapons provide an enhancement bonus and hence do not stack with one another.
He only refers to it giving 'combat bonuses', but doesn't specify what those bonuses are, yes?
Standard magic weapons all give the same type of bonus, but like I said/implied this not being standard weapons can mean all kinds of things ;)

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 am

Madfox11 wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
Standard magic weapons all give the same type of bonus, but like I said/implied this not being standard weapons can mean all kinds of things ;)
Yeah, the only way the bonuses would stack would be if the axe or hammace have a different kind of bonus...for example, if the Hammace has a "luck", "Exceptional" or "circumstance" bonus instead of the standard "enhancement" bonus magic weapons have.