1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: 1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Post by Glemp » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I think I've found a good sound effect for Kore's crossbows - the Strider Pulse Cannon from Half-Life 2. Example (sorry about the background noise, best video I could find).
Last edited by Glemp on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yamadasan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Yamadasan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm sticking to what I called several comics/months ago.

Kin is going to show up and become the new Team-Healer/Cleirc while Forgath's death to Kore lies in direct parallel to Chief's death.

Kin will pick up the Cleric slack Chief and Forgath leave behind while ALSO acting as the new Mediator between the two groups. Similar to how Chief and Forgath are the mediators of their own groups BEFORE all this crazy shit happened.

And you know, Kin will also be in a position to level up and remove her collar personally, and since she'll have to forsake her goal, teapot, and tribe to do all this, becoming an adventurer is likely to a big boon. I expect a Level 3 Kin porting in and helping them out with this absurd puzzle, which Thaco is the only likely member currently able to solve it. Chief and Forgath are the smart ones remember? The rest of'em are rather stupid sometimes.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I think Forgath will die in accordance with the prophecy here. I hope only 3 things: that he does some damage to Kore (preferably permanent, though I don't know how), gains the time needed for everyone else to escape (and that they actualy do escape), and we don't "see" Kore torturing him.

It would be cool if Kore somehow absorbs or Forgath.

Emotionaly, I like the middle 4 pannels. MM is often dumb, but I almost get the sense that he cares for the player beyond the mere role playing for exp.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Occams Meataxe
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Occams Meataxe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:18 pm

The beer is cold in Valhalla, and the All-Father loves valor.
Welcome to the Einherjar, Fogarth.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm

I don't even care if forgath dies. I just want to see these two dwarves get it on.

Now I want a vicious fight from you two. No giving up or mercy. Got it?

LEEEETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Just popping in to offer my tuppence:

Forgath survives the battle but Kore doesn't, leaving Forgath to one day time travel back to become Kore.

Wouldn't that be nice? :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm

notimportant wrote:Forgath shatters the bridge with his Hammace hand, sending Kore plummeting down. However, Kore grabs hold of Forgath's indestructable beard, dragging him down with him. Forgath gets one last word in ("Fly, you fools!") while the GAP and Minmax flee into the dungeon.
Had to repost this - then forgath reappears later with a tamed Kore and explains his survival with: "Kore's bounce!" (First person to post an image of the scene I'm referencing wins 3 internets)
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Man that is one big Dwarf. Give em something to remember you by Forgath.
Jibjib wrote:Just popping in to offer my tuppence:

Forgath survives the battle but Kore doesn't, leaving Forgath to one day time travel back to become Kore.

Wouldn't that be nice? :P
Time travel is never nice.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 pm

If Kore uses the Hammace after killing Forgath... would his holy symbol show up? He is cursed but I'm unsure how that works...

*EDIT* Typo
Last edited by Xavier78 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Oh crap. Minmax and Forgath are not the first ones to say that.
His chances suddenly look a lot worse.

SGTdude wrote:I don't even care if forgath dies. I just want to see these two dwarves get it on.
Did you have to put it that way? :frustrated:
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Chou
Remains Silent

Post by Chou » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Thunt really enjoys a good twist, and is very very good at hiding things in plain sight. So based off what I've seen I have a theory; Kore isn't really a Dwarf. I'm putting myself out on a limb here (1st post on the boards too, hi everybody!) Why? Thunt's villains are always fully shown, and so much has been made of him being a Dwarf and of Forgath's prophecy; it's too convenient. This is a big moment and it has TWIST written all over it.

My first point; a while back, during the fight between the Goblins and Kore, Ears and Thaco managed to trap rope in Kore. He had to remove his helmet. Why didn't we see his full face? Why only parts of the body? He looks like a dwarf. He has the beardy thing going, for sure. But when he puts his helmet back on, did anybody else notice what looked like a second pair of eyes at the top of the slits? All of Thunt's antagonists have been displayed beautifully through not only the amazing drawings that Thunt puts up, but also through the very essence of the characters themselves. Kore has only been shown in bits and pieces, through his character. His facial features have not, and Thunt took great care not to.

Also, putting Kore in the same bracket as Dwarf and introducing Forgath's prophecy means that this connection, this battle, was already set in everyone's mind. Almost too convenient. Maybe even on purpose to spring an eventual surprise. We only think Kore is a dwarf because of loose references about his past. But then history is taught by the victors; it can be manipulated. The only evidence that Kore is a Dwarf is what we see and what we associate with a Dwarf; but we still haven't seen the face.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Kore is possessed and it's shown in some horrible, facial scarring. Maybe Kore is actually a woman. Or maybe Kore isn't really a Dwarf, but a monster who itself, like the Goblins, decided to change its fate and the easiest way to get around unnoticed was to masquerade as a Dwarf because of its body build, voice (plus, the beard looks awesome).

Either way, this all getting fun! :)

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by currently_awake » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Sockmonkey wrote:Is that +7 enough to give Forgath a reasonable chance to make a called shot to Kore's neck or eye slit?
Dungeons and Dragons doesn't normally use a "Called Shot" system. So no.
Forgath:
3rd level cleric attack = +2 base +4 strength +7 axe = +13 to hit. (damage d8+11)
Armour = 10 + full plate (+8) + glove +4 + dex +1 = 23.
Hp = d8 +4 x3= 36.

Kore:
14th level paladin attack = +14 base + 4 strength +3 magic weapon = +21/+16/+11. (damage d8+7)
Armour = 10 + full plate (+8)+3 + kite shield (+3)+3 + bracer? +3 = 30. (maybe)
Hp = d10 +4 x14= 196.

Kore barely needs to roll hits with that. Forgath will hit about 1 per 3 rounds or so, Kore 2 per round or so.
After 2 rounds Forgath will have done about 15 hp, Kore will have done about 44 hp damage.
So the fight will be over in 2 rounds unless they use magic or talk about stuff.

Kore can dump half of his hit bonus into damage (power attack) and still hit at least once per round.
About the only good side to this fight, we'll finally find out what's going on with Kore.
Attacking the eye with a light spell might slow kore down a bit.

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by currently_awake » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:I think Forgath will die in accordance with the prophecy here. I hope only 3 things: that he does some damage to Kore (preferably permanent, though I don't know how), gains the time needed for everyone else to escape (and that they actualy do escape), and we don't "see" Kore torturing him.

It would be cool if Kore somehow absorbs or Forgath.

Emotionaly, I like the middle 4 pannels. MM is often dumb, but I almost get the sense that he cares for the player beyond the mere role playing for exp.
You can Sunder (break) weapons, provided your weapon has an equal or higher plus. +7 surely tops anything Kore has, so Forgath can break his stuff.
Kore with no weapons is a whole lot less scary. Also a Bull Rush attempt off the bridge is an opposed strength check, so levels don't help.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Yep, things are developing as expected. Goodbye Forgath - please hurt Kore BAD before you fall screaming to your doom. Take him with you if you can, so his fancy armor and shield and repeating crossbows get destroyed in the fall, setting him up for defeat by MinMax, Kin and the goblins when he catches up to them.

Now would be an EXCELLENT time to switch to follow Kin for a few pages, so we see what she has been doing and so will understand why she shows up shortly to help MinMax move on.

Taz
Remains Silent

Post by Taz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Forgath, don't go :(

I can totally see bars rising from the holes in the ground in front of Minmax to block the entrance of the crawl as soon as the goblins touch the tiles. Then Kore tortures Forgath to try and get the Axe, and Minmax is helpless to do anything. I wonder how Ears would react to this scenario and if Minmax's attitude towards the goblins would change, losing a loved one to Kore might be enough common ground for them to join up.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Taz wrote:Forgath, don't go :(

I can totally see bars rising from the holes in the ground in front of Minmax to block the entrance of the crawl as soon as the goblins touch the tiles. Then Kore tortures Forgath to try and get the Axe, and Minmax is helpless to do anything. I wonder how Ears would react to this scenario and if Minmax's attitude towards the goblins would change, losing a loved one to Kore might be enough common ground for them to join up.
Sadly, I can more easily see him being furious at them for staying safe while Forgath died defending them all....

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:20 pm

For everyone talking about the prophecy, Id like to remind you of the first half of it. Victimized serpents, enemified (what? its totally a word) friends, etc.

Grim Levity
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Grim Levity

Post by Grim Levity » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 pm

You know... while we're considering the possibility that Kore is somehow future Forgath... why not go all the way with it? What if Forgath manages to kill Kore, thus fulfilling the prophecy and redeeming his future self and staying alive?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm

You know, there's a silver lining here: When Kore kills Forgath, I will revel in the glory of that idiotic theory being proven wrong once and for all.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:You know, there's a silver lining here: When Kore kills Forgath, I will revel in the glory of that idiotic theory being proven wrong once and for all.
Seriously... I hardly even care anymore, I just want the rampant speculation to stop.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Chou wrote:My first point; a while back, during the fight between the Goblins and Kore, Ears and Thaco managed to trap rope in Kore. He had to remove his helmet. Why didn't we see his full face? Why only parts of the body? He looks like a dwarf. He has the beardy thing going, for sure. But when he puts his helmet back on, did anybody else notice what looked like a second pair of eyes at the top of the slits?
Hi!

Do you mean this page, where Kore is taking his helmet off?

I see two white pixels in the shaded area above his eyebrow, but I'm not sure they're eyes, though.

Just my $0.02!

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 pm

SGTdude wrote:
notimportant wrote:Forgath shatters the bridge with his Hammace hand, sending Kore plummeting down. However, Kore grabs hold of Forgath's indestructable beard, dragging him down with him. Forgath gets one last word in ("Fly, you fools!") while the GAP and Minmax flee into the dungeon.
Had to repost this - then forgath reappears later with a tamed Kore and explains his survival with: "Kore's bounce!" (First person to post an image of the scene I'm referencing wins 3 internets)
OK,

How's this: :)

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Yes, those odd marks have been noticed. And discussed at length.
spiderwrangler wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:You know, there's a silver lining here: When Kore kills Forgath, I will revel in the glory of that idiotic theory being proven wrong once and for all.
Seriously... I hardly even care anymore, I just want the rampant speculation to stop.
HEY GUYS I HAVE A THEORY....

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:25 pm

I got fifty on the shorter guy . . . that's if I can get five to one odds off some sucker one of you guys.
:'(
"Alas poor Forgath, we knew him". Still, every man (dwarf) owes the world a death, and dying now for his friend is as good a reason as any of them. Eventually sheer duration is going to offer him his notice to quit , and then it might be something as ignominious as "Straining to do a poo, blood vessel bursts in aging brain, family have to wipe your arse before putting you into coffin" . . . and, after all, he may get a crit?.
RedwoodElf wrote:The solution is simple enough, 8 moves total:
1: Key and Star Down.
2: Eye and Ring Right.
3: Tree and belt up.
4: Mountain Left.
5: Ring and hand down.
6: Tree Right.
7: Belt Up.
8: Ring and Key Left.

You only need to touch the tiles surrounding the Hand tile at all.
So, you are saying Forgath has to trade blows for at least seven turns, then survive running back and through the gate?. Which will be behind bars that MinMax has had to drop?.

:cry:

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 am

Gryphonic wrote:
Taz wrote:Forgath, don't go :(

Sadly, I can more easily see him being furious at them for staying safe while Forgath died defending them all....

That depends on how hard they try to help Forgath get back. The only true animosity between the groups is Minmax and Complains.

Personally I love the progression of Minmax throughout the comic. You can see how the player who made him probably came right off of video games where combat skill is everything, and then slowly came to love having a character as Minmax discovered the not all monsters are bad, not all adventurers are good. He found love and lost it due to a combination of a victim stereotyping his entire race based on the action of a few and his own mistake borne of desperation. And now facing the potential death of his best friend, his brother, he doesn't know what to do. And if he thought he could he would throw every last on of those goblins then himself in front of kore first.

Minmax has gone from being his player's avatar of killing stuff to a fully realized character, ironically proving Complains original issues with his name inaccurate.