Post by kida » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 pm

link: http://www.goblinscomic.org/12222013/

Nice to see GAP & FM working together

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

22nd, Dec, 2013 - Shut Up!

Post by Archerd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:48 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/12222013/ - Perma Link

I wonder if two of them will attempt to distract, Forgath and BigEars, since they're the most armored and Kore might have a worse time with two moving targets at that range.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: 22 December 2013 - "Shut up"

Post by Liesmith » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I like how Ears' attempt at yet another heroic moment is undermined by the other two.

I also like how there's actually very legitimate reasons for Forgath to be the one to fight Kore:

1) He has the protection against missile attacks.
2) He can get a massive bonus from the Axe of Racism
3) Minmax is probably the only one with the necessary strength bonus to hold the gate up.
4) Fumbles lacks the levels necessary to slow Kore down.
5) Kore is immune to Ears' attacks.
6) Thaco was just knocked to negative numbers, and probably wouldn't survive another hit.
7) Complains just finished raging, and is probably still suffering penalties as a result.

Everything is aligning to take away all options aside from Forgath; it's like a Seldon Crisis.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 22nd, Dec, 2013 - Shut Up!

Post by currently_awake » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Forgath will volunteer to delay Kore. It's his destiny after all.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Poor ears ... he gets shouted down no matter what it is that he doesnt say. Nice bodylanguage there of Big Ears.

i also like the way the Big Orange one keeps on being kind and generous with those he hates ... it's positively childish how he can be so hurtfully hateful then so opposite yet still remaining hateful in his language. Very 8yo in my view. Love MinMax in moments like this.

Point taken Lisesmith about it likely being Forgath ... however the axe of racism is not in his hands is it, there is the hammacer though. Mind you, keeping the gate up is easy, the Oblivious sword could just let out to hang there holding up the gate, no effort needed ...

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Tofu wrote:Poor ears ... he gets shouted down no matter what it is that he doesnt say. Nice bodylanguage there of Big Ears.

i also like the way the Big Orange one keeps on being kind and generous with those he hates ... it's positively childish how he can be so hurtfully hateful then so opposite yet still remaining hateful in his language. Very 8yo in my view. Love MinMax in moments like this.

Point taken Lisesmith about it likely being Forgath ... however the axe of racism is not in his hands is it, there is the hammacer though. Mind you, keeping the gate up is easy, the Oblivious sword could just let out to hang there holding up the gate, no effort needed ...
If Minmax let go of Oblivious, it would vanish, so he'd have to stay with it regardless. The Axe of Racism could just be handed to Forgath to give him an edge...it seems tailor-made for this very situation.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Do we know enough to solve the puzzle yet? Is the black space blank? Are the 2 green space blanks? If all 3 are blank, then it should be simple.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

tsath
Remains Silent

Post by tsath » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Fogarth, the beer is cold in Valhalla, and the All Father loves valor!
Once you were just an adventurer. Now?
"You just won a do-it-yourself Hero Kit, complete with a monster. Good luck."

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 pm

What happens if Kore tortures Forgath like he did to chief? Will MinMax still go into the maze?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Does Kore have any particular reason to attack Forgath?

I guess he would once it's clear that Forgath is defending the goblins. But a random dwarf he's never met? Who was, a moment ago, fighting those goblins?

Granted, he already opened fire for some reason, but I'm not clear on why that happened. Maybe MinMax and Forgath were just in the line of fire to the GAP?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:38 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:Do we know enough to solve the puzzle yet? Is the black space blank? Are the 2 green space blanks? If all 3 are blank, then it should be simple.
The only blank space is the black square under the crooked pentagram. The door appears to be like one of those old children's toys where you slide the squares around, moving the blank space around as you do so.

Apollad
Remains Silent

Post by Apollad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 pm

The puzzle looks easy enough, just time consuming.
► Show Spoiler
Suffice to say, there's a fair bit to do, and not a lot of time to do it. I'm not sure on the ruleset to much, but how many of those panels could be moved per round i wonder?

Loyal
Remains Silent

Post by Loyal » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 am

An extremely simple slider puzzle if it is as Thaco has interpreted. Given that there is also a "Door" and "Keyhole" panel, I doubt that's the case.

I'm ignoring the presence of Kore in this case since I'm running on the assumption that the average adventurer would be expected to solve this while not facing the threat of a dwarven juggernaut bearing down on them.

Slicer
Remains Silent

Post by Slicer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:25 am

If that's the only rule- to put the key under the tree- it's trivial.

Of course, a particularly mean GM would put in something like "every time you move one of these pieces, something happens related to that piece's picture, and every time you move it, it gets worse- oh and there's a couple of other things that aren't immediately apparent"...

Which would make it definitely not a good problem for time-pressure situations, especially not when the Dwarven equivalent of Jason Voorhees is coming after you.

Cold Burn
Remains Silent

Post by Cold Burn » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:37 am

It doesn't necessarily have to be overly complex- remember skyrim? one of the books state that the point of the really simple puzzles was so that the undead couldn't get out even if they somehow got the key(since placing the code on the key removes the point of having a key and code combo). it may simply be designed to keep animals and such out- anyone who solves the puzzle is smart enough to know better basically.

Grassy Tale
Remains Silent

Post by Grassy Tale » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 am

If Forgath alone would be enough to hold Kore off while they are solving the puzzle... wouldn't Forgath + Minmax (+ Minmax's Oblivious) be enough to push Kore off the bridge? Minmax could use Oblivious like a baseball bat, and easily push Kore off the bridge with the sword's flat side. Even if Kore survived, he isn't exactly nimble, and it would take him forever to get out of a chasm like that.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:22 am

Crap, Thaco is going to die here. Why? He is old so he's gonna want others to survive + he has the biggest chance to stand up to Kore out of them all. Unless Forgath will join. This whole comic is about destiny and fighting it. I wonder if Forgath is going to help Thaco (being a cleric and with his new hammace not even mentioning the +4 ring to protection against missiles).

All in all my prediction is that either Thaco or Forgath will die here. I doubt that Forgath's death will be this early in the comic (early as compared to how much of the comic is still to be there), so my bet is on Thaco.

Also: see how Complains still has the marking left by Chief? While other bloodstains seem to have disappeared almost completely? Given that Dies refused Duv, it's highly likely that Complains will become the next chief of Cryptic Fall.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 am

My guess is that the puzzle also involves the hand tile "taking" the key. and possibly opening the door tile to reveal the physical key needed for the lock shown behind the GAP.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:40 am

Grassy Tale wrote:If Forgath alone would be enough to hold Kore off while they are solving the puzzle... wouldn't Forgath + Minmax (+ Minmax's Oblivious) be enough to push Kore off the bridge? Minmax could use Oblivious like a baseball bat, and easily push Kore off the bridge with the sword's flat side. Even if Kore survived, he isn't exactly nimble, and it would take him forever to get out of a chasm like that.
Thunt had explained this in a blog post: other people cannot move Oblivious, but Oblivious can only move things using Minmax's own strength. For instance, He could hold the sword over his head and stop a massive boulder that's dropped on him, but he wouldn't be able to lift the boulder any higher.
► Show Spoiler

Zouron
Remains Silent

Post by Zouron » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 am

Apollad wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleeping Bear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Sleeping Bear » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:44 am

WearsHats wrote:Does Kore have any particular reason to attack Forgath?

I guess he would once it's clear that Forgath is defending the goblins. But a random dwarf he's never met? Who was, a moment ago, fighting those goblins?

Granted, he already opened fire for some reason, but I'm not clear on why that happened. Maybe MinMax and Forgath were just in the line of fire to the GAP?
I know why Kore opened fire. He's jealous of Forgath's magically fixed beard, while his is still ruined :lol:

randint
Remains Silent
UStream Username: randint

Post by randint » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:47 am

making some assumptions here about what can be moved, but here's one solution to the puzzle in 9 moves:

taytay
Remains Silent

Post by taytay » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:52 am

How long until comic ends? I am starting to feel it will be soon :(

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:02 am

taytay wrote:How long until comic ends? I am starting to feel it will be soon :(
Nah. Thunt's said before that we're only about a third of the way in (can't recall when he said that, though), and we've still got Junior and the Vipers to deal with.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:52 am

taytay wrote:How long until comic ends? I am starting to feel it will be soon :(
I think some people think that once the prophecy occurs the comic is at its end. It's not necessarily right.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.