17 Dec 2013 - "Brother!"

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: 17 Dec 2013 - "Brother!"

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:00 pm

We've been over this 50 shit-chugging times: that wall is one of the many victims of the Shield of Wonder, you can see it during the battle.

Can we please forbid the speculation of time-travel on this forum? That would save me so much sanity.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes a mildly prophetic Talking Wall is in fact one of the many effects of the shield of wonder.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 pm

I think the door works like one of those shuffle-the tiles around games like others posters have said, and that the order of the tiles is like that Kevin Bacon game. Water is what a flower needs just like sunlight which a tree needs which is made of wood like a door...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:We've been over this 50 shit-chugging times: that wall is one of the many victims of the Shield of Wonder, you can see it during the battle.

Can we please forbid the speculation of time-travel on this forum? That would save me so much sanity.
Stabbing them is good for my sanity...

Me --> :stab: <-- Anyone that suggests time travel in Goblins
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:34 am

Krulle wrote:
Nerre wrote:We already did this on the previous pages of this thread. :D
I saw that, and I won't participate in speculating about the puzzle yet.

What I meant was that I'd want a (larger) clean copy, without the bars.
We'll see how it goes. Thaco has quite some age, and age gives a stackable wisdom bonus.
Well, but goblins have a very short live span. So I would like to know if the wisdom gain scales with the live span or not. It was only so huge for Biscuit cause he got held alive far longer than a typical orc live span by the demoness, so she could torture him.
:zzz:

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 am

Nerre wrote:Well, but goblins have a very short live span. So I would like to know if the wisdom gain scales with the live span or not. It was only so huge for Biscuit cause he got held alive far longer than a typical orc live span by the demoness, so she could torture him.
It does scale with lifespan in D&D. In fact, you only gain the bonuses a fixed number after which it stops even if you get to be millenia older that your usual racial maximum.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:07 am

Madfox11 wrote:
Nerre wrote:Well, but goblins have a very short live span. So I would like to know if the wisdom gain scales with the live span or not. It was only so huge for Biscuit cause he got held alive far longer than a typical orc live span by the demoness, so she could torture him.
It does scale with lifespan in D&D. In fact, you only gain the bonuses a fixed number after which it stops even if you get to be millenia older that your usual racial maximum.
That's RAW though, I can easily see a GM, in this case Herbert, allowing something like Biscuit that's been kept alive so much longer to gain extra bonuses. Particularly if it's a plot point. And since his aging was stopped as well he probably doesn't have any of the physical stat penalties.

Thaco on the other hand would be at the oldest, or second oldest age group, I can't recall how many there are in DnD. Added to the fact that wisdom is a major stat for several monk features and he probably has a good one.

Unfortunately Int is the relevant stat here since it's based off of logical deduction. I think Older characters still get a bonus to it but Chief is probably the smartest GAP member, or possibly Fumbles offset by a poor wisdom.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:21 am

vonpenguin wrote: but Chief is probably the smartest GAP member
Yeah, he's dead smart.

Too soon?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:45 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
vonpenguin wrote: but Chief is probably the smartest GAP member
Yeah, he's dead smart.

Too soon?
Dude, he only died a few rounds ago, you could have waited a bit :/

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 am

Jochi wrote: I doubt the "Greyhill Paladins as an ends-justifies prestige class" makes sense as a solution. I wonder if Kore is the last of them because, shortly after whatever epiphany made him realize he must destroy anyone who has ever had contact with Evil, he realized all his comrades-in-arms had had such contact while destroying Evil. HE killed them, and is saving himself for last, after he has killed everything else in the world with an intelligence score of 3 or more. Hence "scourge of the realm".
Sounds like OTHAR TRYGVASSEN - Gentleman Adventurer!
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:03 pm

EatsAPeach wrote:
Jochi wrote: I doubt the "Greyhill Paladins as an ends-justifies prestige class" makes sense as a solution. I wonder if Kore is the last of them because, shortly after whatever epiphany made him realize he must destroy anyone who has ever had contact with Evil, he realized all his comrades-in-arms had had such contact while destroying Evil. HE killed them, and is saving himself for last, after he has killed everything else in the world with an intelligence score of 3 or more. Hence "scourge of the realm".
Sounds like OTHAR TRYGVASSEN - Gentleman Adventurer!
This guy?

No, No, you need to say it with a fancier font!Too bad the editor doesn't support script fonts!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Gurgeh
Remains Silent

Post by Gurgeh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Quild wrote: Here it is : http://www.goblinscomic.org/12152009/
4 years and 4 days ago ^^
Thank you very much, and in retrospect I understand now the cryptic warning about finding the goblins.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Prophetic - other than saves a fox, the death of Forgath and the 'serpent prey' line, I can't recall any prophetic elements in the goblinverse - might there be one hanging around for our goblins party that we don't know about? Could someone check this through ThuntStream?

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Dies horribly: Has died horribly (He goot better)
Complains of names: Likes to complain about names
The white terror's rise.

Nothing directly relating to the Goblin's current situation but prophecy is clearly a fairly big deal.

J!!!
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: EveryNameWasTaken

Post by J!!! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 pm

ahh, but does Complains Of Names complain about names because he was destined to, or because he is expected to?

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Quild wrote:Sorry I had to tell again things you already knew, but you started by speaking of "Animate Dead" in stead of "Speak with dead" and spoke about necromancy spell. You were so wrong in a first place that I had to start with basis.
Except Animate Dead is arguably closer than Speak With Dead for the effect of Kore's magic Altoids.
From Kore's own description: "I have reanimated you for a short time, evil creature. You are bound by holy magics to either perform a single task or answer any number of questions for me."
There is no spell or magic item I know of that does precisely that. Even if Kore's just lying about the effects, Speak With Dead doesn't compel a creature to give clear, precise, detailed answers the way Y&B seems to be. It's like a weak Animate Dead with a super amped-up Speak With Dead.

So, who wants to guess Chief's body is just behind Kore, reanimated and bound to perform a single task? >:D
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:49 pm

I really have hope for Forgath, but for a reason I haven'tseen here yet. The prophesy goes something like "Whenthe serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.". Y&B said this in context of "You'll die in a fight with another dwarf" and, later on, said to Kore "You're the dwarf from my vision." That's not a prophesy as vague as an horoscope, it's damn clear. And there are a lot of events one can imagine to make the serpents become their prey, but the way it happened has a bit of a chance to interfere with the prophesy. When these visions and prophesies in this comic work the same way as PsiMax was able to know what is happening when and where at any time in the MoM, we possibly have a big, black sword called Oblivious being able to mess with the prophesy and change the outcome. As far as I know, Oblivious is damn powerful, chances are it can make a difference when used against Kore's armor. Also, it didn't have its grand hour yet. It was used in the fight against Not-Walter and the tower room, but where else? We have seen other damn nice magic weapons used in a lot flashier fights, the AoP in the fight Big Ears vs. Saral Caine, the AoP-Paladin rule exploit in the fight GAP vs. Kore, Chief's spear in Brassmoon, against Kore (even if it didn't do much), Dies' arm/Junior in the fight vs. the Demons, against other Goblins at the Viper Ceremony thing, against the rerolled Drow, Klik as Fox' weapon many times... Compared to this, Oblivious is damn underrepresented, especially for the helluva weapon it is.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:49 pm

*cough*

Hey you guys? We're mostly not in 3.5.
Halfway down the page, Goblins FAQ wrote:
What RPG system is the Goblins comic universe based on?

The Goblins world is based off the d20 system Dungeons and Dragons version 3.0 with added home-brew elements and the 3.5 system.

J!!!
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: EveryNameWasTaken

Post by J!!! » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 am

indeed.

and that basically answers any questions about perceived inconsistencies with the actual game rules (ex: what is kore, and what's a paladin?): "added home-brew elements"

arkajalka
Remains Silent

Post by arkajalka » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:49 am

Zathyr wrote:
Quild wrote:Sorry I had to tell again things you already knew, but you started by speaking of "Animate Dead" in stead of "Speak with dead" and spoke about necromancy spell. You were so wrong in a first place that I had to start with basis.
Except Animate Dead is arguably closer than Speak With Dead for the effect of Kore's magic Altoids.
From Kore's own description: "I have reanimated you for a short time, evil creature. You are bound by holy magics to either perform a single task or answer any number of questions for me."
There is no spell or magic item I know of that does precisely that. Even if Kore's just lying about the effects, Speak With Dead doesn't compel a creature to give clear, precise, detailed answers the way Y&B seems to be. It's like a weak Animate Dead with a super amped-up Speak With Dead.

So, who wants to guess Chief's body is just behind Kore, reanimated and bound to perform a single task? >:D
What if Kore is under this very same spell? The single task being "Destroy all evil and anything touched by it". Is there any controverses on keeping paladin status when your actions are controlled by spell? Will paladin still lose his status even if he is not in control of his own actions? I bet theres some mercy on this cause paladins would lose their status on any fight where they are undersome kinda mind control spell and attack their partymembers. Im not so familiar with all the d&d rules so these are just my speculations.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

J!!! wrote:indeed.

and that basically answers any questions about perceived inconsistencies with the actual game rules (ex: what is kore, and what's a paladin?): "added home-brew elements"
Not quite, Thunt has said that Kore is purely house-rules; what does explain him is that he's really old, as in pre-alignment old. Morality was introduced in DnD Advanced.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

CocoaNutCakery
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by CocoaNutCakery » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:27 am

Glemp wrote:
CocoaNutCakery wrote:
Simon wrote:So we can say for certain that Kore doesn't care about hurting anyone now.
Well, he never seemed to care before, but he gave a reason that it was to kill evil people. He probably should have said "you two stood near goblins, so you are evil" before he attacked or something.
You might have noticed that Forgath and Minmax are in the way. Accidentally or not, they're between him and evil.
if it was just that then he wouldn't have told Minmax to run, but simply to get out of the way or get down. Or maybe we gave him some of our paranoia over the prophecy, I don't know.
So Forgath is all-knowing now?
I have a YouTube channel where I post TF2 videos. You can check it out if you like.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:45 am

CocoaNutCakery wrote: So Forgath is all-knowing now?
No, but he knew who Kore was, he was terrified by that realization. Presumably Forgath knows via reputation that Kore will find the flimsiest excuse to kill you.

Also, he knows Minmax and Kin are in love, even if Kore would stop firing if Minmax hints at that Kore will kill them both without a second thought. I mean if you'll kill a child because the guy who orphaned him kept him around after you'd surly kill a grown man that willingly fell for an "evil" creature.

Restomak
Mutters to Themself

Post by Restomak » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:57 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Bonuses to hit creature apply regardless of how armored they are... thats not how the 3.5 system works. +7 to hit creatures of your race is just that... not +7 to hit naked creatures of your race.
Alright, sorry. But I can't imagine the bonus applies to the tower shield, there are a few inches between it and Kore's face/chest. If I'm wrong about even this, Stryk's post is still offensively suicidal.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't tower shields not give +AC bonuses? I thought they were considered akin to cover, the amount dependant upon just how much of you is visible. I was also under the impression that rolls to hit based on cover were separate from AC, meaning the the racist axe could have anywhere between zero effect (fully behind tower shield, as Kore is likely to be) and normal effect (tower shield is not between axe and Kore).

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Knucklekraken » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Dunno how it works in 3.0, but 3.5 tower shields give you AC or cover, player's choice.