12 Dec 2013 - "I know you!"

Discuss the comic here!
ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Re: 12 Dec 2013 - "I know you!"

Post by ChuckNorris » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:17 am

Just to all those people saying Forgath is Kore, if that's true, Forgath won't be killed by Kore. The prophecy said "Another dwarf", implying a dwarf who is not Forgath

gordo
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: gordo

Post by gordo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 am

Heh, thanks. I never actually played dnd, but those two rings seem pretty strong.
+4 against misile attacks makes him 20% harder to hit, right? And +2 strength makes him hit 10% more (or is it 2 more damage on hit?) That's wicked sweet, can he wear them both at once?
Trying to give a more simple explanation:

First of all, take into account that a roll of 1 is always a miss and a roll of 20 always is a hit. So, if you roll 20 agains't a characther with 99 AC, congratz, your blow landed. This rule applies agains't characters usually hit by your type of attack so, not even a 20 can make a regular punch hurt a ghost.

Normally, every +1 on the roll represents a 5% better chance for your character. If you're more or less even with the guy, a +4 to AC makes you 20% harder to hit. But if your AC is 20 or 24, a commoner with +0 to hit still gets you only with a roll of 20. So, your bonus is wasted because you cannot have less than 5% or more than 95% chance to get hitted. This bonus would make you get a -15% chance to get hitted, so it's capped on the 5% (roll of 20, instead of the impossible roll of 23 on the d20).

+2 to strenght means your modifier gets +1 better (The modifier goes up 1 point for every 2 points you have above 10 in an attribute). Strenght applies to you accuracy and damage in melee, so the ring gives you +5% to hit and +1 to damage.

You have one ring slot for each hand, so he can wear both rings. It's appropriate for their level, since +1 to hit/damage isn't a bonus too big, and +4 vs missiles is a huge boost but situational (the ring doens't help you against magic or melee attacks, that are usually more common)

Hope it helps, it's pretty simple and logical but a brief explanation usually requires some review of the basic rules.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 am

God the page is just so damn shiny now.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

I have a question: is Kore the last paladin who is spoken of here. That would explain his reaction to the axe when he first saw it. I'm pretty sure that must have been mentioned somewhere by someone, but I seek confirmation of my finding :)

PS. How can I get hold of the info on all the Axe of Prissian's possessors?
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Glemp wrote:This was after Kore's conversation with Y&B, so it's pretty obvious where he's going. Although...why didn't he find out about the White Terror? Shouldn't he have asked Y&B something like "Are the goblins planning anything evil for the realm?"? But then, that's just more evidence of him doing his 'quest' for himself rather than for goodness' sake.
Why would Kore ask something like that? He already knows that the goblins are planning something evil for the realm. This is obvious (to him) from the fact that they are goblins. And he doesn't care what they are planning because he has already decided to destroy them next.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:59 pm

warrl wrote:
Glemp wrote:This was after Kore's conversation with Y&B, so it's pretty obvious where he's going. Although...why didn't he find out about the White Terror? Shouldn't he have asked Y&B something like "Are the goblins planning anything evil for the realm?"? But then, that's just more evidence of him doing his 'quest' for himself rather than for goodness' sake.
Why would Kore ask something like that? He already knows that the goblins are planning something evil for the realm. This is obvious (to him) from the fact that they are goblins. And he doesn't care what they are planning because he has already decided to destroy them next.
Do you really think that if Kore was doing his quest for the sake of the realm, he would prioritise one goblin village and warcamp over the elite white goblins that wanted to take over the world and was allied with all the other ones? From what he tells Chief, he was prepared to pursue the GAP for days in the Dragon's Maw if they reached it, suggesting that the imminent re-winging of the Goblin monarch was not a concern to him. So he either didn't know, or didn't care.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Glemp wrote:
warrl wrote:
Do you really think that if Kore was doing his quest for the sake of the realm, he would prioritise one goblin village and warcamp over the elite white goblins that wanted to take over the world and was allied with all the other ones? From what he tells Chief, he was prepared to pursue the GAP for days in the Dragon's Maw if they reached it, suggesting that the imminent re-winging of the Goblin monarch was not a concern to him. So he either didn't know, or didn't care.
I could see either one. Remember, Kore picks a target then sticks to it until the treat is finished. He might have heard tales of the "Might Cryptic Fall" war camp in the north, and decided to kill them. Even if he found out about the winged terror afterwards, it would be against his rules to let the GAP go to pursue the Viper Clan. Also, Kore has taken on armies. I don't think he would be intimidated by a winged goblin, even if it is really strong.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:35 pm

SamWiser wrote:
Glemp wrote:Do you really think that if Kore was doing his quest for the sake of the realm, he would prioritise one goblin village and warcamp over the elite white goblins that wanted to take over the world and was allied with all the other ones? From what he tells Chief, he was prepared to pursue the GAP for days in the Dragon's Maw if they reached it, suggesting that the imminent re-winging of the Goblin monarch was not a concern to him. So he either didn't know, or didn't care.
I could see either one. Remember, Kore picks a target then sticks to it until the treat is finished. He might have heard tales of the "Might Cryptic Fall" war camp in the north, and decided to kill them. Even if he found out about the winged terror afterwards, it would be against his rules to let the GAP go to pursue the Viper Clan. Also, Kore has taken on armies. I don't think he would be intimidated by a winged goblin, even if it is really strong.
The point is that he doesn't care about anyone who dies while he's off hunting the GAP because he let the White Terror rise if he did know. If he didn't, then he failed to ask Y&B about it despite it being a fairly easy thing to ask. Either way, it proves Kore selfish, uncaring of what happens to the realm while he's busy purging it.
Last edited by Glemp on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm

WastesTime wrote:I have a question: is Kore the last paladin who is spoken of here. That would explain his reaction to the axe when he first saw it. I'm pretty sure that must have been mentioned somewhere by someone, but I seek confirmation of my finding :)

Well apparently he's fought a wielder of the Axe on at least two separate occasions against the same guy I think. He'd probably recognize it from there more than anything. And having the axe go through his head gives him any knowledge of it.
It's still possible of course and would link up nicely.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:33 pm

WastesTime wrote:I have a question: is Kore the last paladin who is spoken of here. That would explain his reaction to the axe when he first saw it. I'm pretty sure that must have been mentioned somewhere by someone, but I seek confirmation of my finding :)

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=112523 It's in the 10th section of links in Glemp's FAQ post.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 am

Glemp wrote:
SGTdude wrote: He is slow and that is established by how long it took him to get from Cryptic Falls Warcamp to the proximity of the entrance of DMaw where he was either a) drawn by the presence of GAP to kill them along the way, or B) going to go through the crawl as a shortcut to the village.
Going by the map, that's a huge detour. He'd have to go at a right angle (East rather than South), which would add even more time to his journey.
Hypothesis: Kore is packing so much gear and armor that he is encumbered, and his encumberance is giving him a penalty to speed over rough terrain. Therefore he makes better time traveling along the road and through the dungeon crawl.

arpfaust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by arpfaust » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:15 am

Trash Wizard wrote:I hope that makes sense. Dungeons and Dragons has the peculiar quality of making absolutely no sense to people who don't play, while the people trying to explain it don't understand why it's so hard to grasp. One of those "easier done than said" type of things.
Well, I am (or I was) going to start playing and even made a character, so I kind of know the basics of dnd rules. But this post was really in depth and helpful, thanks!

wyrmbear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by wyrmbear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 am

I thought the prophecy just said he would "fall in battle with another dwarf" not specifically die at the hands of another dwarf. It could be taken as meaning he dies and the other dwarf dies as well, but not necessarily at the hands of one or the other.

Although, huge bridge, racist axe, Kore being Kore and Forgath being Forgath, I'm guessing the screaming involved (according to the wall), is going to be a long drop with an abrupt stop.

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 am

wyrmbear wrote:I thought the prophecy just said he would "fall in battle with another dwarf" not specifically die at the hands of another dwarf. It could be taken as meaning he dies and the other dwarf dies as well, but not necessarily at the hands of one or the other.

Although, huge bridge, racist axe, Kore being Kore and Forgath being Forgath, I'm guessing the screaming involved (according to the wall), is going to be a long drop with an abrupt stop.
For all we know, it means litteralle 'fall in battle'... a fall of the bridge would involve screaming and falling, would be painful as well, not necessarily death (not in D&D anyway) :P Never gave the whole prophecy thing much attention. I never liked Greek tragedy, and I am rooting for something silly D&D-esk ;)

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:09 am

Changes_everything wrote: Missed that one on the old boards, that is a very plausible theory, with the Greyhawk connection on top, in fact the first one I've come across that does not involve some rule bending or other.
Kore himself has stated that he "suffers no curse". Now, with him not falling under the ruleset of, er, modern day paladins, that may simply be true.
It is interesting, but I still think this all has something to do with the curse. Kore doesn't just say that he "suffers no curse"; he responds by saying that he is not cursed, but gifted instead. A mind altering curse would explain why we have had two characters say that he is cursed while he seems to think of himself as blessed, but does not deny being under the influence of a spell.

Silo_Legion
Remains Silent

Post by Silo_Legion » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 am

So Forgath sees the instrument of his own death for the first time. This could get very interesting very fast. Unless that mirror/oracle thingy that we saw in Brassmoon like, a decade ago was talking about some OTHER dwarf that was going to brutally murder him. Actually, didn't the seer in the goblin village say something about it before Forgath killed her? I first picked up on this comic before there were 100 strips, so it's been a while.

Silo_Legion
Remains Silent

Post by Silo_Legion » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 am

Hertzyscowicz wrote:
Glemp wrote:
SGTdude wrote: He is slow and that is established by how long it took him to get from Cryptic Falls Warcamp to the proximity of the entrance of DMaw where he was either a) drawn by the presence of GAP to kill them along the way, or B) going to go through the crawl as a shortcut to the village.
Going by the map, that's a huge detour. He'd have to go at a right angle (East rather than South), which would add even more time to his journey.
Hypothesis: Kore is packing so much gear and armor that he is encumbered, and his encumberance is giving him a penalty to speed over rough terrain. Therefore he makes better time traveling along the road and through the dungeon crawl.
To be honest, though he is obviously slow, I have another theory: He has ALREADY been to the goblin village and his pursuit of the goblin adventurers is him simply tying up loose ends before he moves on to another target. There's no telling how long Kore has been tracking them and now he has finally caught up to them. Thaco and the others are going to come back and find their home burned to the ground.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Silo_Legion wrote: To be honest, though he is obviously slow, I have another theory: He has ALREADY been to the goblin village and his pursuit of the goblin adventurers is him simply tying up loose ends before he moves on to another target. There's no telling how long Kore has been tracking them and now he has finally caught up to them. Thaco and the others are going to come back and find their home burned to the ground.
Erm, that's what we've been arguing over. I suggested it, and everyone else is pointing out that Kore is probably really slow at travelling in all that armour, and the map Thunt posted makes travelling all the way to the goblin village and back in time to catch the GAP outside the Dragon's Maw entrance really implausible. I do not dispute this, but think that the foreshadowing with him asking Y&B about where the village was was significant to say the least, and that we have not seen how he covers large distances, only after he's covered them.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Glemp wrote:
Silo_Legion wrote: To be honest, though he is obviously slow, I have another theory: He has ALREADY been to the goblin village and his pursuit of the goblin adventurers is him simply tying up loose ends before he moves on to another target. There's no telling how long Kore has been tracking them and now he has finally caught up to them. Thaco and the others are going to come back and find their home burned to the ground.
Erm, that's what we've been arguing over. I suggested it, and everyone else is pointing out that Kore is probably really slow at travelling in all that armour, and the map Thunt posted makes travelling all the way to the goblin village and back in time to catch the GAP outside the Dragon's Maw entrance really implausible. I do not dispute this, but think that the foreshadowing with him asking Y&B about where the village was was significant to say the least, and that we have not seen how he covers large distances, only after he's covered them.

It's simple enough...before wiping the village out, he's hunting down the survivors, following the path they would take, and so he runs into them here.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Glemp wrote:
If Kore is level 5+ then Kore may get a celestial warhourse or other mount better suited to him.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Kore wrote:If Kore is level 5+ then Kore may get a celestial warhourse or other mount better suited to him.
I don't want to jump the gun here, but I think Kore might be just a little higher than level five.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Godbot wrote:
Kore wrote:If Kore is level 5+ then Kore may get a celestial warhourse or other mount better suited to him.
I don't want to jump the gun here, but I think Kore might be just a little higher than level five.
I think the Stats thread has him at L14+ due to one of his spells I think...

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:49 pm

He's fought entire armies and his IME's enormous. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that he's epic-level, especially if he's over a thousand years old.

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd just like to throw a random prediction out, just so's I can say I called it: The party (FMGAP) will find a wand of remove curse or an equivalent in the dungeon crawl, and save it for Kin. However, after getting cornered by Kore, Forgath uses the scroll as a desperation move to dispel whatever curse there is on Kore. Cue Kore falling, the gold rim on his helmet turning black, and him continuing to slaughter FMGAP as an epic fighter-without-bonus-feats.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:26 pm

No doubt it's a 14 minimum due to Holy Sword. I wouldn't say IME is really based with level though I'm not sure how it works anyways being house ruled. Kore's is likely unique in that it expands with his victims and not personal growth. Likewise with Complains having an extenuating circumstance or Dies that makes their IME more impressive.
Compared to say Big Ears or Goblinslayer's effects being fairly mild.
wyrmbear wrote:I thought the prophecy just said he would "fall in battle with another dwarf" not specifically die at the hands of another dwarf. It could be taken as meaning he dies and the other dwarf dies as well, but not necessarily at the hands of one or the other.

The original prophecy foretold he would "die in a great battle with a another Dwarf". None of that ambiguous 'fall' usage. It didn't really say that the Dwarf would kill him.
However when they were with the talking wall Forgath said that the Dwarf would kill him to which the Wall agreed and said it would be a bad death, full of screaming.

So a Dwarf is supposed to be the one to kill him for sure.