Yeah I can see that - well from Duv and Riss anyway. Less so with Grem though
All hail the power of the stick!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: December 2 Update: Twitter

Post by Wolfie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:50 pm

WearsHats wrote:Asked Thunt on Twitter, and he confirmed that White supremacists were what he had in mind when he came up with the original concept for the Viper clan.
+2 Internets for you :)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Wolfie wrote:
WearsHats wrote:Asked Thunt on Twitter, and he confirmed that White supremacists were what he had in mind when he came up with the original concept for the Viper clan.
What? Asking the person themselves rather than just making up something to support your pet theory and then supporting it with random tangentially relevant web-links?

That's NOT what the internet is for :lol:
All hail the power of the stick!

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:Yeah I can see that - well from Duv and Riss anyway. Less so with Grem though
Grem Propagates the system because he's incredibly dutiful and loyal, and he doesn't really know any better.
► Show Spoiler

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

I know there's plenty of racism (mostly speciesism) in the THuntverse. I was wondering if there was any slang terms for it, and if not, what they might be. Like how Dominic Deegan had "piggart" for orcs.

On Vipers: The White Terror lives for ~150 years (http://www.goblinscomic.org/08262006/). Grem, Duv's son, says that he'll lead the tribe someday (http://www.goblinscomic.org/12302007/). Since normal goblins live only ~ 30 years - Vipers possibly a bit longer, especially a White Terror's Child - shall we assume that Duv must be near the end of her projected lifespan?
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Either that, or he respectively disagrees with her methods and would like to peacefully put her to rest so that the Vipers may achieve the same ends on more respectable conditions.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Wolfie wrote:
No, he meant white goblin supremacists. It's an easy mistake to make. The best way to remember the difference is that one is a group of monsters, and the other is a group of goblins.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Congrats on completely missing the point, Liesmith. Thunt created albino goblins when INSPIRED BY white supremacy bullshit.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I think you missed his joke. It's the same as "What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer? One's a scum-sucking bottom feeder, and the other's just a fish."
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 am

But why are their line marks of strength, intelligence and other qualities in another color then? It implies that the other colors are better than white, since somebody without any mark would be considered very week within the Viper clan. Seems pretty inconsistent to me. ;)
:zzz:

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:40 am

*groan* Unfollows thread ...

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:48 am

Tofu wrote:*groan* Unfollows thread ...
You know, you can do that without having to write it. That feels like trolling or fishing for attention. Which would have worked since I did respond on it.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:27 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Congrats on completely missing the point, Liesmith. Thunt created albino goblins when INSPIRED BY white supremacy bullshit.
I sincerely doubt that Thunt finds white supremacists inspiring, or that he believes racism causes albinism. :cheer:
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:50 am

Duv, the white, half scorched, one-winged, goblin aryan Hitler, sacrificing other races for her aspirations.

Actually, she rather reminded me of Two-face from the batman universe. One part evil bitch doing everything to fulfill her fate to rule all goblins, on the other side the strong leader taking care of her tribe and making sure it survives. Anyhow, she is kind of crazy.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:12 am

Nerre wrote:Duv, the white, half scorched, one-winged, goblin aryan Hitler, sacrificing other races for her aspirations.

Actually, she rather reminded me of Two-face from the batman universe. One part evil bitch doing everything to fulfill her fate to rule all goblins, on the other side the strong leader taking care of her tribe and making sure it survives. Anyhow, she is kind of crazy.
I wonder...if Duv found a Ring of Regeneration, would it be able to restore both her wings? The one that was burned off might be problematic unless she re-injured that part of her back with non-burning damage...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am

Normally such items in D&D only restore parts of your body you still had when the ring was attached. On top of that such rings have a cool-down, they only start to work after wearing them for at least one day to prevent groups from switching them all the time to the most injured person. At least this is how my D&D 2.0 group deals with them.
If you just lost your hand or an eye, you will not regain it if you put it on after the injury. It will only start regenerating your hp and heal the wound at the stump.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 am

Limb regeneration is very rare in the Thuntverse, as evidenced by the amount of effort Duv put into obtaining the Orb of Bloodlight. If a ring of regeneration (or anything of the sort) could have done the job, there'd have been no reason to spend all that time and slave labor digging a tunnel into a major dungeon crawl whose primary treasure was a one time use limb regenerator guarded by a powerful demon.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Liesmith wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Congrats on completely missing the point, Liesmith. Thunt created albino goblins when INSPIRED BY white supremacy bullshit.
I sincerely doubt that Thunt finds white supremacists inspiring, or that he believes racism causes albinism. :cheer:
Evil can absolutely be inspiring: to fight or villafy it.
Gryphonic wrote:I think you missed his joke. It's the same as "What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer? One's a scum-sucking bottom feeder, and the other's just a fish."
Not only did he have the opportunity to claim your understanding to be correct and squander it; but it would only make sense if he didn't start the argument, which he did.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 am

Unlike human white supremacists, I think these fellows may be capable of learning that it's just skin. Being outdone by all these orange, green, and yellow people has got to make them wonder if their worldview is correct.
Kore seems to think "cute=evil" and so I think lolcats would upset him. A shield with constantly-updating lolcats might blind him, or force him to retreat while shouting "Do Not WANT!"
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 am

I'm pretty sure it's not the color that's important to Vipers, but goblinhood.

The rest is just clan loyalty.
► Show Spoiler

mattheux
Remains Silent

Post by mattheux » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 am

As someone who watches good and horrible anime alike, curiosity has me wanting to find the movie that the picture for the armor class came from. I have searched on the internet and can not find a reference mentioned on any of the web sites that have the poster/picture listed and did not see it mentioned in this thread.

Anyone know?

And, as someone who has read the comic for a long time but generally does not like to take part in critiques on the author's efforts, let me just say that I appreciate the comic and the story both and applaud your courage to put something that you created out for public view.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:34 pm

X
Last edited by Nerre on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Liesmith wrote:
Evil can absolutely be inspiring: to fight or villafy it.
Gryphonic wrote:I think you missed his joke. It's the same as "What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer? One's a scum-sucking bottom feeder, and the other's just a fish."
Not only did he have the opportunity to claim your understanding to be correct and squander it; but it would only make sense if he didn't start the argument, which he did.
I didn't start the flame war, it was always burnin' since this thread's been churnin'.
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Avoiding responsibility for your shortcomings will do you no favors.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scienceboyroy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by scienceboyroy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Avoiding responsibility for your shortcomings will do you know favors.
I'd like to interpret this as a punctuation error, rather than spelling. I propose the following alternative:
BuildsLegos wrote:Avoiding responsibility for your shortcomings will do, you know? *favors*