November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: November 22nd, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting f

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 am

Sidewaysgts wrote:
currently_awake wrote:Hair never stops growing, it just breaks when it gets long.
Nerd moment- Dunno about dwarf hair, but human hair 110% does stop growing- All of it, from the hair on your feet to the hair on your head. Hair follicles work in cycles- Theyre active for awhile (called the anagen phase), then shut down for awhile (called the telogen phase. The phase when theyre just starting to shut down is called the catagen phase- At any one point you have a lot of hair follicles at any of these stages), and then the cycle repeats. When the follicle shuts down, the hair falls simply out. The hair on your arm for example never "gets longer" than what it "normally is" not because they break past a certain point, but because thats all the length the hair on your arm grows during the duration the hair follicles are active. Same story for hair on your head- However the cycle is much longer for hair on your head (usually), and can vary a LOT from person to person. Does it seem like your hair just "doenst grow" past a certain length? Chances are- It doesnt. Thats simply as long as your hair can grow before your follicles shut down- Someone who can "grow longer hair" typically just simply have longer growing phases.
That was really interesting. I didn't know this. Thanks for the information. :)

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Pablo wrote:
brnforce wrote:
JustRight wrote:Wait - how is it Thaco is part demon? Must have missed that part.
Thaco isn't part demon. What made you think that? He just had a rod slammed into his face.
Hi!

Actually, Complains is. :)

Recall the following:
  • During the Battle of Brassmoon when Thaco was hit by a loose "polymorph into a demon" effect of the Shield of Wonder but was from full transformation by Big Ears (see this page and this page)
  • In the fight with Kore that was drawn 3 years ago, but happening only moments before in the GAP timeline when Thaco went into a berserker rage and his IME took on the form of a demonic tail so that even Kore thought he was a demon (see this page and this page).
Just my $0.02!

Thanks - that helps me understand. But in several panels early in the fight with Kore, Thaco's blood was red. Now it is black, like it was in Brassmoon after he fell onto the demon polymorph artifact. I guess I'm confused by the switching back and forth of his demon status - only when berserk?
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm

I feel like I'm missing a joke somewhere.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Maybe it came with an update, but there seem to be bits coming off of Forgath's beard when Thac0 slices it, so it's not quite indestructible.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 pm

JustRight wrote:Thanks - that helps me understand. But in several panels early in the fight with Kore, Thaco's blood was red. Now it is black, like it was in Brassmoon after he fell onto the demon polymorph artifact. I guess I'm confused by the switching back and forth of his demon status - only when berserk?
I think you're getting confused between Complains and Thaco. Thaco is not (and has never been) part demon, only Complains. Complains is demon all the time, which is why he has black blood, pointy fingers and toes and the scaling down his back. He's the pale orange one.

Thaco fights with two blades and is a monk. He's the darker orange / brown guy and only has one ear.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Complains now also has only two fingers and one thumb. THunt did accidentally not have his blood black in a recent update for a day or so before fixing it.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:16 pm

That's not Thaco, that's Complains that happened to. Complains is the orange berserker with the purple IME, now part-demon, and Thaco is the red-brown monk, still pure goblin. I think Thaco getting zapped might just be an effect of the artifact; I'd expect a different sound effect for a demon taking Holy damage.

ETA: missed thinkslogically's post somehow.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Steelhaven wrote:
Gryphonic wrote:
currently_awake wrote:She will then go use the regeneration pillar thingy, and that will restore her necklace and memories.]
Sadly, the regen device does not seem to restore objects. Minmax didn't get his backpack back.
Happily, there may be reason to believe that it will be restored when the maze is reset.
While I agree that there may be hope that this will happen it is by no means certain. If Kin had simply lost the necklace or if it had been destroyed by weapon or spell then we could pretty much 100% expect it to be returned to her in the Reset. However, it was thrown into an oblivion hole and we have no data to go on regarding this. If the Reset trumps PsiMax's partial oblivion holes then we can expect for example this Forgath and Kin to get their MinMax back and our Kin to get her necklace back. If however it is the other way around then she won't get it back. As I said we've got nothing much to go on at this point to help us decide between the options however much we might prefer one over the other ...
All hail the power of the stick!

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

We have lots to go on.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/05272013/ It's the "universal constants" or rather, the mechanisms of the maze that are being manipulated by the psionic machine.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/ the oblivion holes are a product of a failed attempt to use the maze's own mechanisms to destroy it. Namely, the mechanism of things being "erased from existance"

The maze also has some sort of restoration ability, it can restore things to their state upon entrance after being obliterated on reset.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/ things can still be restored after being obliterrated. Note, the only things that can be restored by that exact mechanism are body parts and hit points.

I'd say there's a lot more reason to expect things to be restored on reset than any of the other random theories. the creation of the oblivion holes will be erased from time on reset.
► Show Spoiler

fumblesfan
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by fumblesfan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Regarding Kore killing Forgath. . . haven't we learned not to take Thuntian prophesy literally? Even a more nuanced interpretation is often wrong. . . At a minimum I could see Kore killing Forgath like Vader killed Anakan. . . or maybe he'll kill his spirit. . . all I know is that most of us will not adequately predict how the prophesy is fulfilled.

taytay
Remains Silent

Post by taytay » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Uh, it has been a while and I can't remember the story (I guess I have to read everything from start)

B─▒t why are they fighting with goblins? As far as I remember Forgath healed the one of the goblins and they retreated after that. Did they encounter after the village part? I don't remember any.

I can understand Minmax, all the eye wound and etc by why Forgath is automatically in terminator mode? And why did you teleported to goblins at all?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 pm

taytay wrote:B─▒t why are they fighting with goblins? As far as I remember Forgath healed the one of the goblins and they retreated after that. Did they encounter after the village part? I don't remember any.

I can understand Minmax, all the eye wound and etc by why Forgath is automatically in terminator mode? And why did you teleported to goblins at all?
Forgath read the White Terror prophecy, and so now thinks "our" goblins are trying to take over the world.

Ironwulf
Remains Silent

Post by Ironwulf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Salutations. I don't know if this has been touched on before, but why doesn't Kores weapons show an IME effect. Most of the other magical weapons seem to, but neither his axes nor his crossbows show this. I can't believe a 'high level' paladin wouldn't have some magical weapons, so why? If he doesn't have any, it would (slightly) even up the odds of the upcoming battle.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Ironwulf wrote:Salutations. I don't know if this has been touched on before, but why doesn't Kores weapons show an IME effect. Most of the other magical weapons seem to, but neither his axes nor his crossbows show this. I can't believe a 'high level' paladin wouldn't have some magical weapons, so why? If he doesn't have any, it would (slightly) even up the odds of the upcoming battle.
Probably the magic of his crossbows is simply that they're self reloading, and as such really don't have an IME. His axes appear to be just normal axes (probably alchemal silver, since they don't look like cold iron) that he enhances with spells as needed (like casting holy sword on one)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:47 pm

AntMac wrote:It would be awesome chain mail material, wouldn't it. Light as a , well, as a beard, and water proof/rustless/acid proof, fireproof, though of course porous as all hell, so it wouldn't help the person wearing it that much.
Depending on the weave it could be like a knit sweater or coarse canvas, so while it wouldn't protect you from high ambient heat, it would help somewhat against a quick blast of it like a fireball. The porosity of it has an upside in that it "breathes" so you wouldn't overheat in warm weather as quickly as you would in plate. It would be great as the outer layer for armored gloves since you would have almost full dexterity. Chain mail usually has to be done as mittens unless you spring for the kind with extra-tiny links.
RedwoodElf wrote:Probably the magic of his crossbows is simply that they're self reloading, and as such really don't have an IME.
No, we saw him do it manually with a pair of some kind of quick-reload holsters he wears on either side of his belt. With two crossbows that can be quick-loaded once, that gives him four volleys to soften up opponents. Each bow looks like it fires eight bolts at once per volley in a slight spread pattern. This gives a maximum of thirty-two bolts worth of damage he can do before he has to sit down and reload both bows and holsters. The bolts themselves don't look like they do much damage individually, but sheer numbers in that spray means he's pretty much always going to hit something and do a good bit of damage. A good weapon for someone expecting to strike first against large numbers of opponents and isn't worried about hitting allies.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Steelhaven wrote:We have lots to go on.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/05272013/ It's the "universal constants" or rather, the mechanisms of the maze that are being manipulated by the psionic machine.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02112011-4/ the oblivion holes are a product of a failed attempt to use the maze's own mechanisms to destroy it. Namely, the mechanism of things being "erased from existance"

The maze also has some sort of restoration ability, it can restore things to their state upon entrance after being obliterated on reset.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/ things can still be restored after being obliterrated. Note, the only things that can be restored by that exact mechanism are body parts and hit points.

I'd say there's a lot more reason to expect things to be restored on reset than any of the other random theories. the creation of the oblivion holes will be erased from time on reset.
You may have a point there, although we have seen no definite proof of which holds sway as the device which restored Forgath's beard is part of PsiMax's alterations rather than the Reset function of the MoM. It might turn out that they are functionally the same, but the evidence we have seen to date (that neither - MinMax's pack nor Forgath's mace were restored to them) suggests that it is not.
All hail the power of the stick!

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself

Post by Steelhaven » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you for considering my perspective, my reasoning was simply that it proved that obliterrated things could be restored, for one. And exposition already says that the restoration gears that psymax used only works on injuries.

I think what's most telling is the "the run is erased from time" thing. This implies that time resets for the entire maze, minus winner (and in this case, minus anyone else who got out.)
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:40 am

Steelhaven wrote:I think what's most telling is the "the run is erased from time" thing. This implies that time resets for the entire maze, minus winner (and in this case, minus anyone else who got out.)
Actually, that's assuming that adventurers who "cheat" and teleport out of the Maze somehow are removed from the maze. If I were the GM of this world, I'd totally say that a loophole like that causes you to eventually have to deal with a duplicate of yourself that was spawned when the maze reset, assuming that you hadn't exited, and eventually that party won the maze and returned to your reality, where you and they would have to fight to determine which of you was the "real" you-yourworld#. I mean, you just don't waste plot hooks like that....
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 am

willpell wrote:
Steelhaven wrote:I think what's most telling is the "the run is erased from time" thing. This implies that time resets for the entire maze, minus winner (and in this case, minus anyone else who got out.)
Actually, that's assuming that adventurers who "cheat" and teleport out of the Maze somehow are removed from the maze. If I were the GM of this world, I'd totally say that a loophole like that causes you to eventually have to deal with a duplicate of yourself that was spawned when the maze reset, assuming that you hadn't exited, and eventually that party won the maze and returned to your reality, where you and they would have to fight to determine which of you was the "real" you-yourworld#. I mean, you just don't waste plot hooks like that....
Not if the matter's gone. I get the impression that the amount of energy and matter within the Maze remains constant, regardless of stuff like disintegrations. The Maze simply rewinds it to the state it was in at the start. But if the adventurers have left, one way or another, then they can't be reformed and are replaced by another set.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:28 am

I love watching pages get 'upgraded' as THunt goes back and adds increasing layers of color and shading. I appreciate his art so much more when I can see it develop instead of just as a single completed image. :clap:
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

ChuckNorris
Whispers Softly

Post by ChuckNorris » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 am

I just noticed something strange with Complains. He had 3 bolts in his back, and only two popped out (could someone explain why?) when he rolled over on them. That has really, really got to hurt

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:14 am

thinkslogically wrote:
JustRight wrote:Thanks - that helps me understand. But in several panels early in the fight with Kore, Thaco's blood was red. Now it is black, like it was in Brassmoon after he fell onto the demon polymorph artifact. I guess I'm confused by the switching back and forth of his demon status - only when berserk?
I think you're getting confused between Complains and Thaco. Thaco is not (and has never been) part demon, only Complains. Complains is demon all the time, which is why he has black blood, pointy fingers and toes and the scaling down his back. He's the pale orange one.

Thaco fights with two blades and is a monk. He's the darker orange / brown guy and only has one ear.

Thanks for the correction effort - it's been so long. I had to reread a lot of it to get refreshed on who's who. Not complaining.

I noticed Thaco seems to have grown younger since the attack on the war camp. He did start out in the hut with the old and infirm...probably just recovering from his time in the Brassmoon dungeon.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:13 am

I always just took it that he was dumped in there because he was old and the 'younglings' wrote him off, not because he was incapable. Of course, gaining 4 levels since then probably added a bit of a spring to his step :)

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:11 am

thinkslogically wrote:I always just took it that he was dumped in there because he was old and the 'younglings' wrote him off, not because he was incapable. Of course, gaining 4 levels since then probably added a bit of a spring to his step :)
Explained here. http://www.goblinscomic.org/07142006/

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 am

ChuckNorris wrote:I just noticed something strange with Complains. He had 3 bolts in his back, and only two popped out (could someone explain why?) when he rolled over on them. That has really, really got to hurt

That is a good catch.

Either it is a mistake. Or it means the 3rd was was shoved deeper in.

Or it is possible broken off but kind of underneath the shadow of him tumbling backwards. We will see in the next comic(s) if any light is shed on the issue.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)