November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Discuss the comic here!
Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:02 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/11222013/

Hope that beard doesn't grow. If it does, Forgath'll have a huge amount of hair that he can't cut.

This isn't looking good for the GAP. I'm hoping that Kin will show up and break up the fight before Kore starts shooting.
Last edited by Loyal Backstabber on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Re: November 22nd, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting f

Post by Steelhaven » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I am super impressed that you beat me to this. I was camping the main site waiting for the update.

As far as beards go, I think I recall hearing dwarf beards grow super slow.

There's the question though, it was obliviated to his skin. is it going to grow new or old beard?
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Didn't like the dialogue. If you've already said and just shown that the beard's invincible, then there's no need to say it again. On the other hand, it is a very nice benefit that I hadn't thought of before.

Loyal Backstabber: The beard took fifty years to grow to its current length, and if it grows any more it'll be natural hair (there was some stubble left after the original got Oblivionated), so no need to worry. On the other hand, that does introduce a weakness that I hadn't thought of before: if someone's really good with a blade, they can slice through the original hair and cut off the superbeard.
Last edited by Glemp on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:08 pm

he didn't say it. those are thought bubbles. which I don't think thunt has ever used. if he did not more than once or twice.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 pm

wordelo wrote:he didn't say it. those are thought bubbles. which I don't think thunt has ever used. if he did not more than once or twice.
He has used them before. In two pages in a row, even. First here and then here.
Steelhaven wrote:I am super impressed that you beat me to this. I was camping the main site waiting for the update.

As far as beards go, I think I recall hearing dwarf beards grow super slow.

There's the question though, it was obliviated to his skin. is it going to grow new or old beard?
I'm surprised I got it up before anyone else made a topic, too. I was camping out too.

The psionic-repaired scar might also have interesting issues with regrowing, as even if it doesn't heal, I imagine Minmax will get it fixed soon since he thinks it makes him look bad. I guess we'll have to see.
Last edited by Loyal Backstabber on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 pm

wordelo wrote:he didn't say it. those are thought bubbles. which I don't think thunt has ever used. if he did not more than once or twice.
Thunt said it by having a character think it. Spelling out a character's thoughts like that when you could use behaviour or facial expressions is unsubtle, and, I feel, not good writing. Look at this zombie page, for example - no words, but the readers understand what they're thinking fine.
Last edited by Glemp on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Loyal Backstabber wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/11222013/

Hope that beard doesn't grow. If it does, Forgath'll have a huge amount of hair that he can't cut.

This isn't looking good for the GAP. I'm hoping that Kin will show up and break up the fight before Kore starts shooting.
Well, hair fall out naturally. It means that Forgath will start leaving indestructible threads from now on, but i think the world will survive ;)

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Loyal Backstabber wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/11222013/

Only the restored part is tough. Any new length growing from his face will be normal hair. It's like when you dye it.

However, when it does eventually grow out he could just have someone knit him an indestructible sweater from it.
It would be like chain mail, only warm and cozy!

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

What happened to Names' sword? it looks different (Lost the flip-out crosspiece) and isn't glowing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:20 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:What happened to Names' sword? it looks different (Lost the flip-out crosspiece) and isn't glowing.
I imagine that the glow will come with the shading.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Invincible beard! Yay! If only I had such protection against my nieces.

And I was glad to see the hammace in action finally. But what was the vzzap?
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:Invincible beard! Yay! If only I had such protection against my nieces.

And I was glad to see the hammace in action finally. But what was the vzzap?
He hit Thaco with his holy symbol...possibly some kind of channeling attack?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Sockmonkey wrote:Only the restored part is tough. Any new length growing from his face will be normal hair. It's like when you dye it.

However, when it does eventually grow out he could just have someone knit him an indestructible sweater from it.
It would be like chain mail, only warm and cozy!
Indestructible sweaters? There's an idea. I have got to give that to one of my D&D parties... Right before they enter a desert.

At any rate, I could see something like that happening. It does make sense that the normal hair would keep on growing, but it wouldn't be indestructible because it wasn't magically made like the restored part.
RedwoodElf wrote:What happened to Names' sword? it looks different (Lost the flip-out crosspiece) and isn't glowing.
It's just not ready for combat. They were running away, and he's holding it in his injured hand, so he didn't have it in battle mode.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Glemp wrote:
Thunt said it by having a character think it. Spelling out a character's thoughts like that when you could use behaviour or facial expressions is unsubtle, and, I feel, not good writing. Look at this zombie page, for example - no words, but the readers understand what they're thinking fine.
It would not have been too odd for Forgath to say that out loud in this case, though you're right that it wasn't necessary for that panel.
In Backstabber's links, the first could have been "You saved my life!" But on the second page, that's information it would have been strange to ramble aloud.
His sword isn't always 'on'. Look at the page where they turn back to charge Kore, for example. Same with Ears' axe/armor. http://www.goblinscomic.org/11192010-2/

Looking at Complains' tumble, that should have driven the quarrels in his back farther into his body and cost him more hit points. Yikes.

I haven't held with the 'Kore is Forgath' theory, but that was a striking parallel. Forgath's helmet twisted to cover all of his face but his left eye....
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Glemp wrote:
Personally I would much rather hear an internal monologue than have to decrypt facial expressions, as I often just find them puzzling. Words can be misinterpreted, but at least they have meanings attached, while facial expressions may just be random twitches.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

rodtheworm
Remains Silent
UStream Username: rodtheworm

Post by rodtheworm » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Considering Thaco literally just sliced Kore's foot, met unexpected resistance, froze for a moment and got battered, you'd think he might have learned to let go and get out of there this time... :D

Onlyreadingforkore
Remains Silent

Post by Onlyreadingforkore » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Delayed comic.
Still unfinished.
With no shading.

Meanwhile Tarol:
constantly updates Twitter.
Complains about spending time trying to talk to social justice ilk.
Writes a blogpost about social justice.
draws a comic about what it is like to be a woman.

Then complains there is no time to draw his comic.

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Loyal Backstabber wrote:Indestructible sweaters? There's an idea. I have got to give that to one of my D&D parties... Right before they enter a desert.
Heh heh, Indeed. IIRC certain fibers in D&D like giant's hair are super tough.
rodtheworm wrote:Considering Thaco literally just sliced Kore's foot, met unexpected resistance, froze for a moment and got battered, you'd think he might have learned to let go and get out of there this time... :D
Well, technically, he is learning since he went for a spot he knew was vulnerable on Kore, although twisting the helmet was a case of trying to win the last fight rather than adapting since Forgath has two eyes and an open-faced helm rather than a narrow eye slit.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Gryphonic wrote:
Looking at Complains' tumble, that should have driven the quarrels in his back farther into his body and cost him more hit points. Yikes.
I don't think the quarrels can hurt him - they are not a holy weapon. I guess we'll find out soon if regular weapons can hurt Complains.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 pm

rodtheworm wrote:Considering Thaco literally just sliced Kore's foot, met unexpected resistance, froze for a moment and got battered, you'd think he might have learned to let go and get out of there this time... :D
It's possible Thaco couldn't see from behind that it hadn't worked, and was expecting Forgath to drop in a second.
kida wrote:I don't think the quarrels can hurt him - they are not a holy weapon. I guess we'll find out soon if regular weapons can hurt Complains.
They did penetrate and make him bleed. He's only part demon. We'll see.

ETA: True. That is a full demon, though. Grinnorarcen's wound healed a few seconds after the sword passed through. We'll know next time we see Complains from behind.
Last edited by Gryphonic on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Bad At Jokes
Whispers Softly

Post by Bad At Jokes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Considering they have only just finished getting raped by Kore, the goblins must have about 4 hp between them.
Onlyreadingforkore wrote:Delayed comic.
Still unfinished.
With no shading.

Meanwhile Tarol:

This could be the start of a Scumbag Thunt meme.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:09 pm

That was so very underwhelming...

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Gryphonic wrote:
kida wrote:I don't think the quarrels can hurt him - they are not a holy weapon. I guess we'll find out soon if regular weapons can hurt Complains.
They did penetrate and make him bleed. He's only part demon. We'll see.
look at this link - the weapon penetrate and the demon bleeds (black blood) but it doesn't cause him hit point loss:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/03232012/

Krugen
Remains Silent

Post by Krugen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Onlyreadingforkore wrote:Delayed comic.
Still unfinished.
With no shading.

Meanwhile Tarol:

Off-topic : First, its a free webcomic.

Second, are you upset by the slow pace (because its a good read) or just upset that Tarol is vocal about his opinions? He rubs me the wrong way sometimes, but its just opinion, and it's his platform. The world would be pretty boring if we all followed someone else's prescribed program for propriety.

On topic : I know its a battle, but its surprising that Thaco and Forgath (Or BE/Forgath) have nothing to say to each other. Also, no ominous Kore dot in the background, but we know hes there, dwarf rogue.
Last edited by Krugen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Has no one but me NOTICED THE BLANKETY-BLANK EYE YET?!?!!!!
Tell me it is coincidence. I dare you.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.