November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Discuss the comic here!
Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Re: November 22nd, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting f

Post by Steelhaven » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:34 pm

willpell wrote:
Steelhaven wrote:I think what's most telling is the "the run is erased from time" thing. This implies that time resets for the entire maze, minus winner (and in this case, minus anyone else who got out.)
Actually, that's assuming that adventurers who "cheat" and teleport out of the Maze somehow are removed from the maze. If I were the GM of this world, I'd totally say that a loophole like that causes you to eventually have to deal with a duplicate of yourself that was spawned when the maze reset, assuming that you hadn't exited, and eventually that party won the maze and returned to your reality, where you and they would have to fight to determine which of you was the "real" you-yourworld#. I mean, you just don't waste plot hooks like that....
I love your posts willpell. You have all the best ideas.

That would actually be super fun to see. I could see that they wouldn't necessarily have to fight though. Could end up with a Peter Parker/Ben Riley situation.
► Show Spoiler

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:42 pm

And if that happens won't MinMax be glad of his new axe? :)
All hail the power of the stick!

Yamadasan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Yamadasan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm sticking to my plot-thought's here!

Foregath mimic'ing Kore is intentional, as we should all know and believe.
Foregath is equally mimic'ing chief here, and is far more intentional.

Foregath has his own story-arc in the upcoming fight. One that the prophecy has specifically been aimed at him.

The prophecy details sights and thoughts Foregath had/is having, not what the audience and Minmax/Kin are having. He see's love fueling hate, HE decided to go after the Viper-Clan prophecy, and he is destined to die.

Foregath will be given a choice. Follow the path Kore is taking, and hunt down the goblins, or follow the path Chief took, and die protecting his friends.

Chief and Foregath are the party healers, and keep the group's in check. They're the team mediator's here. With both of them gone, Kin (Who will return to Minmax at the most perfect time during the battle) will be forced to go Cleric and take up the role of mediator between Minmax, the goblins, and future party-members.

The Racist Axe, Foregath's multi-symbol Hammace(For Kin's deity symbol) and even the multi-kins(seriously, our reality is one in which goblins can fight to not be killed, I think it's likely our reality is the least dangerous and most likely for them to end with) to deliver the Tea-pot for our Kin.

willpell
Banned

Re: November 22nd, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting 4

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:36 pm

(for the love of God, it's Forgath, with no "e".)

In unrelated news, I just noticed that the subject line cuts off two letters of the word 'for", so I suggest that Loyal Backstabber (or an admin/mod/etc.) edit the forum title to replace it with "4", as I have done. While l33tspeak is often overused, it does have certain advantages in any context where the length of text fields is constrained for whatever reason, and this would be one such occasion.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

StarkRED
Remains Silent
UStream Username: StarkRED

Post by StarkRED » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 am

When I saw Minmax push Complains with Oblivious, it made me wonder: What would happen if Minmax were to run his blade (blunt side or edge) against a giant boulder? Oblivious is said to affect but cannot be affected, so what would happen when it comes in contact with a stationary or massive structure? Would Minmax be able to move the boulder with ease? Has someone already speculated on this?

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:21 am

StarkRED wrote:When I saw Minmax push Complains with Oblivious, it made me wonder: What would happen if Minmax were to run his blade (blunt side or edge) against a giant boulder? Oblivious is said to affect but cannot be affected, so what would happen when it comes in contact with a stationary or massive structure? Would Minmax be able to move the boulder with ease? Has someone already speculated on this?
Tarol had mentioned something along those lines in a blog post at one point: Oblivious can only act upon objects the way a normal sword would, using Minmax's own strength. In the example of the bolder, he would swing at it, and the sword would clang off of it...it wouldn't slice through like a lightsaber. Conversely, if the bolder were dropped on Minmax, he could use Oblivious to block it, since the boulder couldn't move the blade. I believe you can look at the fight against Grinnorarcen as an example of both these principles in action: Minmax can easily block the demon's attacks, but he doesn't chop through Grinnorarcen's own sword during these clashes.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

StarkRED
Remains Silent
UStream Username: StarkRED

Post by StarkRED » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:27 am

Liesmith wrote:
StarkRED wrote:When I saw Minmax push Complains with Oblivious, it made me wonder: What would happen if Minmax were to run his blade (blunt side or edge) against a giant boulder? Oblivious is said to affect but cannot be affected, so what would happen when it comes in contact with a stationary or massive structure? Would Minmax be able to move the boulder with ease? Has someone already speculated on this?
Tarol had mentioned something along those lines in a blog post at one point: Oblivious can only act upon objects the way a normal sword would, using Minmax's own strength. In the example of the bolder, he would swing at it, and the sword would clang off of it...it wouldn't slice through like a lightsaber. Conversely, if the bolder were dropped on Minmax, he could use Oblivious to block it, since the boulder couldn't move the blade. I believe you can look at the fight against Grinnorarcen as an example of both these principles in action: Minmax can easily block the demon's attacks, but he doesn't chop through Grinnorarcen's own sword during these clashes.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. When being used Oblivious still acts as a sword. Oblivious cannot be affected by other users or objects, however, and is immobile to anyone other than Minmax.

SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by SirButcher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 am

Uhm, I am the only one who find this frame very, very strange?

Forgath using the stone gloves on his arms.

And we can see the holy simbol of his.

Then why there is ANOTHER stone gloves in the right-down corner? Or is it something else?

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 am

SirButcher wrote:Uhm, I am the only one who find this frame very, very strange?

Forgath using the stone gloves on his arms.

And we can see the holy simbol of his.

Then why there is ANOTHER stone gloves in the right-down corner? Or is it something else?
That would be something else; if you read the previous page, you will see that the Hammace(Forgaths weapon) has an extra stone bit at the end, probably to act as a counterweight.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 am

Steelhaven wrote:
willpell wrote:Actually, that's assuming that adventurers who "cheat" and teleport out of the Maze somehow are removed from the maze. If I were the GM of this world, I'd totally say that a loophole like that causes you to eventually have to deal with a duplicate of yourself that was spawned when the maze reset, assuming that you hadn't exited, and eventually that party won the maze and returned to your reality, where you and they would have to fight to determine which of you was the "real" you-yourworld#. I mean, you just don't waste plot hooks like that....
I love your posts willpell. You have all the best ideas.

That would actually be super fun to see. I could see that they wouldn't necessarily have to fight though. Could end up with a Peter Parker/Ben Riley situation.
We will see. At least the Kins did modify the rules of the maze, so it might not do that. On the other hand, I would love to see MinMax fight another version of himself through the oblivion holes for oblovious. :D

About the latest picture: I hope Forgth did not do some branding in Thaco's face with that H holy symbol, especially not into the eye.

About the third bolt: there are no movement lines drawn for them, so it maybe just went out of the frame to the left. Oghams razor: try keep explanations simple. Complains does not look like he got a intense pain in his back at the end of his tumbling after the hit, when he is back on his feet.

About the stone at the base of the weapon: It was already there in the last update (lowest left panel: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11162013/). It just looks huge now cause the top of the weapon is aimed to the back of the panel, which means the lower end is aimed right into our face, like a fish eye lens effect:
:zzz:

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:54 am

[edit - Even though I was ninja'd by Nere (I will get you my pretty...and your little dog too!) I am leaving this in because of the other links which show the only other places we see the end of the staff]

Not strange at all. He is getting attacked, and so put the mace on his fist to get a bonus to the armor class as indicated here.

As for the red circled part: look at the third frame, the 2nd 4th 5th and 6th frames, and in then the 2nd and also 3rd from last frames.

I believe, on a staff, it is called a cap, but somebody can correct me with the proper terminology. The rock you circled looks big, but that is because it is basically pointing at the camera (i.e. the reader's viewpoint) making it perspectively bigger. There is no other logical explanation, and no reasonable explanation for why this one is not accurate.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: November 22, 2013: The fight everyone's been waiting for

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 am

willpell wrote:(for the love of God, it's Forgath, with no "e".)

In unrelated news, I just noticed that the subject line cuts off two letters of the word 'for", so I suggest that Loyal Backstabber (or an admin/mod/etc.) edit the forum title to replace it with "4", as I have done. While l33tspeak is often overused, it does have certain advantages in any context where the length of text fields is constrained for whatever reason, and this would be one such occasion.
Or, someone could go back and edit the "nd" out of the date, thus eliminated l33t altogether. :)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

cyco
Mutters to Themself

Post by cyco » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:09 am

Wow, with a 3 year gap since we last saw the GAP i kind of forgot what is Forgath's motivation behind attacking the goblins. I had the impression that he had become repentant of the raid of the goblin war camp, unlike MinMax. So can anyone refresh my memory?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:10 am

cyco wrote:Wow, with a 3 year gap since we last saw the GAP i kind of forgot what is Forgath's motivation behind attacking the goblins. I had the impression that he had become repentant of the raid of the goblin war camp, unlike MinMax. So can anyone refresh my memory?
They went through the Teller's hut and found the papers/skins on the "White Terror" and bringing her back, thus he thinks they really are evil.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:34 am

As for minmax?

Well, he is just a hilarious bottle of rage, desperate to settle any score where he feels he is wronged by another combatant.

Seriously though, I don't see any way Complains and Minmax can come to a resolution where they dont try to kill one another.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:39 am

SGTdude wrote:Seriously though, I don't see any way Complains and Minmax can come to a resolution where they dont try to kill one another.
Many already wrote it, but I have to repeat it: Kin. As time passing inside the maze is not the same time than outside, she might join them soon. Maybe it will be only the time to brew new tea (although that would mean time inside the winner room also passes on the outside), now that she maybe understood that they really see each other. Or the goblins do what they can do best: run and survive, while Kore for some reason might findd something evil inside MinMax or Forgath, ending in a similar situation than back in Brassmoon with Dellyn. First they seemed to become pals and form a group, then they tried to kill each other.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:43 am

Assuming that's true, Nere, and Kin does show up and say "Dont kill him Minmax, just love me and ravage my body instead," it still doesnt solve the problem reasonably. And I would expect either of the two to just say "I will kill you.....later." I mean Complains and MM are two sides of the same coin: they are both rage-oholics with the capacity to reason, think, and feel, but way to quick to go "ME SMASH!"

We'll see though. Maybe I'm wrong about this comic. It has happened before.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 am

Both got a strong bond with the goblins, although the kind of failed to save Kin, she is smart enough to know they really tried. And about her bond to MinMax I think I don't have to loose words. So if she tells both that each other are fine, I think they might cease fighting. MinMax out of respect for Kin (just like he did when he drank the tee), the goblins maybe cause Ears or Thaco would talk them into, being the more reasonable ones.

I really can think of this working:
Kin "Stop it!"
MinMax"No, he cheated and cut my friggin eye! I swore to kill him."
Complains "You raided our home, killed our friends!"
Kin "Stop it, both of you!"
MixMax and Complains simultanously "No way I am-"
Thaco/Ears/Forgath "Listen to her!"
Complains "Hrmpf! Fine!"
MinMax"But he is a monster!"
Kin "You once said that about me too. Do you still want to kill me cause I am a monster?"
MinMax "No I...I...you know how I feel! But they are evil."
Kin "They are not, they saved me from Dellyn, just like you did. It wasn't their fault I got caught again."
MinMax and Complains simultaneously "He did what?"
Kore "Bonding with the monsters? Whatever. Two more heads for my soul-chain-IME-effect."
Kin or Forgath dies, maybe both, MinMax and goblins kill Kore.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 am

Loyal Backstabber wrote:The psionic-repaired scar might also have interesting issues with regrowing, as even if it doesn't heal, I imagine Minmax will get it fixed soon since he thinks it makes him look bad. I guess we'll have to see.
Actually, now that I think about it, he could easily get a helmet like Kore has that only leaves his indestructible eye exposed. I doubt he will, though, since you wouldn't be able to see his face - and besides, helmets don't add to your AC.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 pm

nere

I would love it if it actually works out that way.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Godbot wrote:
Loyal Backstabber wrote:The psionic-repaired scar might also have interesting issues with regrowing, as even if it doesn't heal, I imagine Minmax will get it fixed soon since he thinks it makes him look bad. I guess we'll have to see.
Actually, now that I think about it, he could easily get a helmet like Kore has that only leaves his indestructible eye exposed. I doubt he will, though, since you wouldn't be able to see his face - and besides, helmets don't add to your AC.
Good point - maybe MinMax is actually going to turn into Kore ;)
All hail the power of the stick!

fumblesfan
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by fumblesfan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Liesmith wrote:
The best part about oblivious is that the more questions like this that a player asks their GM (out of game) the less powerful the sword becomes. . . Oblivious basically comes with a pre-written "If you try to munchkin this, I will make it less powerful" clause. (All spelled out by the NPC Kin)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Godbot wrote:
And Minmax would only be able to see in purple.

sunbeam
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by sunbeam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 pm

You know, it kind of looks like some development in this whole storyline about the prophecy might finally take place.

As of now it's looking like Forgath might not be too long for the world, and I'm not sure what happens to Minmax.

But the thing is I personally am not really a "Goblins" fan. I think I found this webcomic from a reference on GITP (probably). I read all the archived comics. Really the only thing that has kept me coming back is the FMK trio and the Maze of Many.

It's ok if someone's favorite characters are the Goblins. I'm just not particularly interested in their story to be honest. Heck I'd like to know more about Biscuit, the little Kobold and the Ogre, the rest of that Monster Adventuring Party. I'd like to see Drowbabe and her sidekicks again.

I really don't much care about Junior, Dies, Saves a Fox, Names, or any of the rest of them, Vorpal Kickassio included.

Like I said it's fine if someone else likes them. But they aren't the reason I've been reading. And to be honest if Forgath dies, and Minmax somehow sticks as a character I doubt I read it, at least not checking for updates every few days. Meh, Minmax works well with that group, but I don't think he can carry a storyline without Forgath. And those two are a lot more interesting with Kin.

No hard feelings about any of it. Stories can't last forever, and maybe it is time for the FM story to be over. But the other parts of this comic don't really capture me. I kind of think I'm not the only one, but we'll see.

On the bright side maybe some of the characters I mentioned that have passed on the way might get screen time. Or maybe even someone totally new. If it's good I probably will keep reading this one closely.

But straight Goblins? No.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:53 am

I also find FMK much more interesting than the GAP, and would like to see the MAP and the ex-Drow players again (Drowbabe and her replacement are both dead, but hopefully the trio will roll up characters yet again). Biscuit, Fox and Dies I can take or leave pretty much, and the same is true of the GAP...Thaco and Big Ears are the only ones that really interest me, now that Chief is dead (it had long since happened by the time I started reading, so I'm not too broken up about it, but I do think he works out to have been my favorite of the Goblin characters overall). It's not that I don't like Complains, I just feel as if he gets kinda over-focused on. And Fumbles I could really do without...I'm sort of glad that he escaped his torture, but I didn't actually miss him a bit while he was gone.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.